Smokey123

Favorite nail polishes high end and low cost?

Hello everyone.  I've had a five year hiatus from being knowledgeable about beauty products. My parent's health concerns made all else seem unimportant. Over the last couple months, I've started getting back to makeup and a little 'me time'. I've replaced all my old makeup, which got me my Rouge status, and now I'm trying to become more knowledgeable about nail products. What are your favorite nail products, polishes, etc? I'm sorry if this has been asked recently -- I looked but couldn't find it.. Thanks!   :smileyhappy:

KateLovesYSL

Re: Favorite nail polishes high end and low cost?

(0) Hearts

My favourite is Dior Nail Glow!

imbeautiful

I love Julep! I bet I'm one of their biggest fans! ( or they sure make me feel like one!) A few months ago they released a nail polish which they named in my honor. They got my approval first and allowed me to pick the color the polish was going to be. They have made me feel more special then I can ever explain and helped me feel human during a very hard time in my life that I've been going through.   I'm a fan for life <3

ry22

What is the color's name? I would love to check it out :smileyhappy:

imbeautiful

(0) Hearts

hi, it's Julep Catrina a very pretty yellow which is one of my favorite colors. 

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

The Formula X top coats are wonderful! I can't recommend those enough. I like Essie and Sinful Colors at the drugstore. I also really like Sally Hansen nail polish. The Triple Shine line is great and there are some new pretty colors and finishes. I also like the Complete Salon Manicure polishes from Sally Hansen. Great products at a great price. For more expensive polishes, I like the Dior and Illamasqua. But I don't know how much longer Sephora will be carrying Illamasqua. I've heard tons of raves about Julie G. polishes. And Marc Jacobs are nice if you're looking to splurge a little. 

Smokey123

Thank you BuxomBabe80.  I tried Sinful Colors for the first time tonight. So far so good. I got six of them the other day for $.99 a piece. SCORE!!!!  (Laughing)  I have a feeling that my Formula X polishes will be my favorites, but at .99, even if Sinful Colors doesn't last as long I can hardly complain. I'm trying all different kinds lately. My Formula X Celestials lasts over a week and didn't chip until I slammed my thumb in a cabinet. That chipped it, btw, but at that point my chipped polish was the least of my concerns!! :smileyhappy:

BuxomBabe80

Haha. You're welcome Smokey123. I haven't tried the Celestials yet, but I love the Xplosives, Transformers and Sparklers. I'll try to keep my thumbs away from cabinets. :smileyhappy:

Smokey123

Greaaattt!!! Lol, I just went to look at your Xplosives, Transformers, and Sparklers and my mile long loves/to buy list got longer by several items. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!  Seriously though, they are beautiful choices and I did add several to my list. Thanks.

BuxomBabe80

HaHa. My pleasure. My Loves list is four pages long. But yes, they are great!

nightknight

My favorite high end polish is YSL's polish. The formula is amazing! The colors are vivid, the finish is glossy, and the color is long lasting. I think I've been able to go for 1.5 weeks without a single chip. And my favorite low cost polish is from Essie. I love their range of colors and various top coat effects!

chelsd

[ Edited ]

Some things never change, like Seche Vite for a top coat (if you don't have 3 free concerns or needs). 

However, the coolest innovations in the last 5 years are the emergence of the light curing polishes (usually marketed as gel polishes) which really give you great long wear and shine, and the cool nail lacquer stickers that they have now.  They seem lame until you try them.  They really work, and you can get such great patterns and textures. 

http://www.sephora.com/nail-patch-art-P292310?skuId=1468982

Smokey123

(0) Hearts

Oooh, those patch art do look cool. How hard are they to use? That looks like something I'd love, but not have the patience for to get them perfect! 

chelsd

(0) Hearts

Hi Smokey123, sorry for the delay in reply.  The appliques are quite easy, and they always get compliments when I wear them!  You have to just trim them up by pushing away excess with an orange stick, and then filing the ends under.  It takes a little practice but it's worth it.  I'd say try a few different looks and finishes too, because some of the thicker ones behave a little different when applying and removing. 

Smokey123

(0) Hearts

No worries! :smileyhappy:. I may have to try these. Thank you!

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I like Seche Vite's base coat, but the top coat always bubbles on me even when I use an insane amount of restorer from the brand.

chelsd

(0) Hearts

There's definitely a learning curve with the top coat, but it gives the plushest shiniest top coat ever, and dries in minutes.  Love the stuff.  It should not need to be restored unless it's old and has evaporated from opening.  Perhaps it's the compatibility of the underlying color.  I know that you want to do a nice thick coat, which is really contrary to how most other polishes work. 

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I only restore it when it gets too thick.  None of my polishes are that old.  I only started painting my nails again last April.  I use several brands of polish, and I have not liked the top coat with any of them.  If there is a learning curve, I am behind it.

chelsd

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry it doesn't work for you because it's one of those products that was revolutionary for me and changed my whole nail care regimen, you know?  The only other tip I have is to not shake the bottle such to incorporate air into fluid.  When you mix in your thinner, just slowly roll the bottle instead of shaking.  But it sounds like you've moved on to greener pastures anyway.  Which topcoat is your go to?  Maybe I'll try something new. 

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thanks for the tip with the restorer.  I do shake it when I put it in.  Maybe, I inadvertently changed the greatness of the formula.  I have been using Julep, but I am finding it too thick.  Thus, I am still on the search for my HG topcoat.  My ideal one would be very thin.  Whenever I use a thick one, it takes forever to dry.  Then, my nails get messed up and look terrible.  If anyone knows of a nice, thin topcoat that does not bubble, I would love to give it a try.

melissabt

[ Edited ]

My favorite is the Sephora X Line! Each line has a slightly different texture. I like the

New Neutrals line, which I find is richly pigmented and I only need one coat.

new neutrals.jpg

I always use the Cuticle Oil with it too. I have really dry nails because, I use a lot of hand sanitizer and this one is the only one that keeps them hydrated.

cuticle oil.jpg

<3 Melissa
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 45 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • mpas
    • melissabt
    • ry22
    • nightknight