Smokey123

Favorite nail polishes high end and low cost?

Hello everyone.  I've had a five year hiatus from being knowledgeable about beauty products. My parent's health concerns made all else seem unimportant. Over the last couple months, I've started getting back to makeup and a little 'me time'. I've replaced all my old makeup, which got me my Rouge status, and now I'm trying to become more knowledgeable about nail products. What are your favorite nail products, polishes, etc? I'm sorry if this has been asked recently -- I looked but couldn't find it.. Thanks!   :smileyhappy:

Smokey123

Re: Favorite nail polishes high end and low cost?

(0) Hearts

I've been using a cuticle cream, but will probably switch to the oil in the future.  I have dry cuticles also. For most of my youth and into my 20's I was a serious nail-biter -- I'm talking down to the quick.  I don't do that anymore and hate the thought of it, but if my cuticles are dry and in bad shape, it's a automatic temptation to bite or pick at them. For this reason, I try to keep my cuticles under control.

kevinbt

Hi Smokey123! I really love the JinSoon polish line. :smileyhappy: The pigment is great! It doesn't streak and I've had manicures last almost 2 weeks.  That being said, I did use the Formula X system when I was doing my manicure, so I think that might have had something to do with it as well.  There is a new trio out that has three full size, spring/summer color polishes! It might be a good way to try out the line. 

In additional to the Formula X system, I've had a lot of fun playing with the different types of "art" top-coats they have available. :smileyhappy: 

Cheers!
Kevin

notcreative

I have never tried Jinsoon polish.  Two weeks sounds amazing.  Thanks for the tip, Kevin.  I will give that brand a try in the future.

melissabt

@Kevin that Tea Rose is gorgeous!

<3 Melissa
RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

The Sephora X System is really awesome! I painted my nails with the shade Pyrotechnic and and my manicure lasted 10 days without chipping. It was amazing!

upload_7653544019205842081.jpg

Best,
Randee
Smokey123

Ten days is awesome, Randee. I have Formula X Celestials on now and I'm at a week. I had to patch, but it still looks pretty good.

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

The Celestials Nail Polish line from Formula X is gorgeous! 

Best,
Randee
Smokey123

(0) Hearts

I bought my first one for a family wedding not long ago. It was really long wearing -- the only thing that chipped it was when I slammed my finger in a cabinent. :smileyhappy: My only issue is that it's very difficult to get it off.

beauty4ashes

OPI is my favorite. Best color choices. I like how it applies glides on easily.

Essie for the sheerest smooth colors & application.

Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat.

Even if I have a mani/pedi done professionally, I take in my own Sally Hansen Top Coat.

I prefer Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat vs. Seche Vite.

anabob

i love essie...especially their base and top coats! i have the top coats that will give you a matte effect, shine, or touch up to prevent chipping a few days after you paint your nails. the matte effect top coat is my new addiction because i'm suddenly rediscovering a bunch of colors i already have with a slightly different look :smileyhappy:

divagirl90

Sinful Colors (owned by Revlon) nail polishes are the only ones that last more than 3 days on me. I've gotten up to 10 days of wear with their polishes before. They're only $2 and are found in drug stores and Walmart. I love SC polishes 

I read an article recently that said that SC and Revlon long wear nail polishes last longer than Chanel polishes. I did a manicure with SC and Butter London polishes last Sunday. The BL polish chipped (huge chips) in one day. The SC polish is still intact. I've given up on high end polishes. Deborah Lippmann non-glitter polishes have chipped within 12 hours on me. Essie chips within a day. I have brought Ulta polishes that were goopey the first time that I opened them.

I really like the Sephora/Formula X base coat and Sally Hansen Insta-Dri top coat. The Sephora/Formula X top coat is really good, but it gets goopey quickly. 

Smokey123

(0) Hearts

Hi, divagirl190. I scored at Walgreens today with the Sinful Colors. They were .99 a piece -- I got six for $6.30 (includes tax). The color selection was amazing and Walgreens didn't have a limit. I can't wait to try these since the colors look gorgeous. I like some of the Formula X polishes that I've tried, but I've never used the base or top coat.  I tried a Sally Hansen all-in-one base and top coat. So far so good. I recently got two trial size Deborah Lippmann polishes, but haven't used them yet. I should something quick dry since I get impatient and usually end up making a mess. :smileyhappy:

divagirl90

That's great! I need to stop buy Walgreens soon! The SC polishes dry quickly.

NicoleFrat

[ Edited ]

My favorites are OPI, Essie, and Butter London (chips a little faster than the other two, but I love their colors).  I would also like to try some glitters by Deborah Lippmann.  One product I find really helpful is Essie's Quick-e drying drops.  

Smokey123

(0) Hearts

I've been wondering if any of the quick dry products work. I have a difficult time staying still long enough to let my nails dry! I usually end up patching little smears. 

ragdoll4mom

My favorite long lasting nail polishes are SpaRitual and Ulta polishes.  I can wear both these brands for well over a week without chipping.  

I just saw where dipping your hands in an ice bath after applying the polish will help it last longer and set faster. 

mpas

Im actually really fond on Ulta nail lacquers.  They tend to go on sale for $3 or so quite often and they are very chip resistant.

notcreative

[ Edited ]

I am really fond of Ulta nail polishes too.  They perform as well or better than more expensive ones.  Thanks for bringing this up, because I probably should have dedicated more than one sentence in my original post to this lovely brand.

andyhtrieu

If you have an Asian beauty supply store near you, you can probably get OPI and Essie nail polishes for around $4.50 instead of $9. The ones in my area always have the newest collections and THE ENTIRE line of nail polish. 

Smokey123

(0) Hearts

Thank you. I've never heard of an Asian beauty store in my area, but maybe I just never looked before. :smileyhappy: I'll have to google it -- google is my best friend!

EvangelineDamon

I know exactly how you feel about being less than knowledgeable about beauty products because of the health care of a parent and I hope everything is okay now.

I'm still catching up to this massive industry and cannot believe all of the stuff I missed.

I try to find nail polishes without Dibutyl Phthalate, Toluene, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, and Camphor.

However, it is hard to find an updated list of brands that are free of the big three or five.

Good ole Sally Hansen is works good for me, but I've heard good things about essie and Butter London.

There was a recent post on Beauty Talk about Consumer Reports testing 7 nail polishes and the $2 Walgreens brand lasted longer than Chanel Le  Vernis.

You'll definitely get better answers than mine pretty soon.

Good luck.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 45 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • mpas
    • melissabt
    • ry22
    • nightknight
    • divagirl90