Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Face Mask recommendations??

Hello! Lately, I've been really into Korean face mask as I see people raving about them. I am looking to brightening & whiten my skin as I suffer from hyperpigmentaiton. Any recommendation of brands? 

Currently, I am using the leaders step solution & I just purchased the dermal brand. 

Re: Face Mask recommendations??

Hi @lisa425,

I suggest checking out the Karuna Brightening+ Face Mask.  It helps reduce the appearance of dark spots and uneven skin tone for a smooth, clear complexion.

I also suggest the Dr. Jart + Bright Lover Rubber Mask. This mask will help even out the skin and reduce the appearance of spots.

I hope this helps!

Best Wishes,

Janean

I've been using sheet masks for a couple of years and enjoy them for moisturizing purposes. There are a couple- Etude House's Mugwart for example- that come to mind for a more immediate, short-term brightening effect. However, regardless of brand or ingredients, you won't see a big change in hyperpigmentation with sheet mask usage. Changes for evening skin tone and dealing with sun spots really require more long-term usage of ingredients like niacinamide  or Vitamin C. For dealing with those types of issues, you'll get much better results with serums and creams. 

Depends on your price range and how much results you expect to see. I'm a fan of Innisfree and TonyMoly face masks mostly for hydration. For long term brightening, you need a good serum or something that you can use daily. If you want Korean, I'm a fan of AmorePacific and Sulwhasoo is also good, but they are also quite expensive.

Instead of brands, it's more important to take a look at the ingredients to see if it includes brightening ingredients, and make sure the type/consistency is right for your skin type.

Thank you for your reply! I am kind of new to skincare and was wondering what kind of ingredients would you recommend to look out for brightening/hyperpigmentations specifically to sunspots? 

For products to combat sun damage, definitely vitamin C. There are a ton of vitamin C serums, find one that's right for you and use diligently. There are plenty of good masks, peels, serums etc with brightening ingredients. Here's a list of brightening ingredients I researched (copy&pasted from my blog ChicDabbling, lol):

Not everything is appropriate for everyone, so here’s a brief introduction:

• Hydroquinone – a skin lightener to treat pigmentation. It is banned in some countries due to concerns about risk of cancer, and darkening of the skin for people of color. Small concentration seems to be okay if you don’t have dark skin.
  • Kojic acid – a plant extract to treat pigmentation. It has been found to be less effective than 2% hydroquinone but more effective than arbutin. However, it may cause sensitivity. It is unstable and may break down when expose to heat and light.
  • Arbutin – plant extract that treats discoloration. It’s gentle and works well for sensitive skin. Research has shown that synthetic form (deoxyarbutin) may work better than natural extract. Since it is glycosylated hydroquinone, there is similar concern about cancer risk, which has not been proven yet.
  • Glycolic acid – an alpha hydroxy acid that treats pigmentation by exfoliating off the dull skin and quickens cell turnover, which reduces fine lines and rough skin texture. However, it can make the skin more sensitive and irritated.
  • Vitamin C – it treats sunspots and dull skin and is mildly effective on fine lines and skin firmness. There’s not really any risks or side effects, the stability and strength depends on the type of vitamin C used. Instead of breaking down in sunlight, it helps to defend the skin against UV rays so it’s great to use during the day.
  • Niacinamide – also known as vitamin B3. In addition to even the skintone, it also has anti-inflammatory properties, improves the skin’s protective function, and stimulates collagen production. It’s great for acne-prone and sensitive skin.
  • Licorice extract – it is a brightening ingredient with soothing anti-inflammatory properties. Anti-inflammation is very important when skin brightening because irritation may lead to an increase in melanin production.
  • Algae extract – it evens the skintone and helps to fight against surface redness. It can revitalize and moisturize stressed skin as well.
  • Azelaic acid – it reduces pigmentation but has no risk of irritation or darkening the skin when used too much, thus good for sensitive skin.
Anonymous Insider

I know of a really good one, do you have depop?

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing