Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

RE: Empties

I love the empties posts, and I’ve been wanting to share mine.. so here goes! Top photo loves: love the acne patches. I don’t necessarily have to have this brand, but these patches really come in handy. I have a bunch of backups. Shave secret: this is a many times repurchase. I always have a backup. Farmacy moisturizer: really enjoyed this. I’m contemplating repurchasing once I go through the rest of my moisturizers. Second photo likes. I’ll use up any remaining backups and would repurchase if on sale.

Re: RE: Empties

@ThePopcornQuest - those acne patches are lifesavers; love them so much! 🙂

Re: Empties

May as well clean out a small batch 'o trash while I'm thinking about it 😋

YTD empties 334

Notes in the spoiler!

IMG_20190901_173856516.jpg

Spoiler
BBW Irresistible Apple Shower Gel: basic staple and love. This one is a bit sweet, but not nearly as sweet as Country Apple. I don't think i have more of this scent, but I have loads more BBW body wash to finish off, and I will be happy to use them all.

Skyn Iceland The Antidote Cooling Daily Lotion: this stuff is a fantastic shot of chilly on a warm day. Love and have more minis, and would buy a full size if I could justify it with the size of my current stash lol.

S.W. Basics Oil Serum: Like every other category in my stash, I have entirely too many oil samples to use up before I can buy anything else, but this would be on my rebuy list if I needed something. It's really rich without being too heavy for my oily skin, and was great as a night oil.

Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief: loved it so much that I went to put it on my loves list, but it seems to have been discontinued. Figures! I'll have to try the new version (72Hr whatever) to see if I like it just as well. It's a nice fragrance free moisturizer that was great for my oily skin. 

Skinfood Black Sugar Perfect Splash Mask: I am really loving this stuff; this is my second bottle and I have more lined up. It's a great gentle but effective exfoliator that I use 2-3 times a week and it really makes a difference.

Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser: basic morning cleanser a few times a week. Works great with my Clarisonic. I keep getting samples, and I keep using them happily. Not sure I'd buy...but only because I don't think I'll ever have to. It's the gwp that never ceases 😛

BBW Lemon Pomegranate Cream Body Lotion: I really really REALLY wish I had more of this one. It took me a couple of uses to figure out what it reminded me of, but once I did, I was even more in love with the scent. This is almost an exact dupe of Capri Blue's Volcano scent. Yum yum yum yum yum yum

Biobelle Peachy sheet mask: I've expressed disappointment with Biobelle's new masks several time now...this one is no exception. They just aren't as good as their originals. I'm trying to finish them off in a hurry so I can be done with them. 

La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid: too watery for my taste, and did not play well with something in my skincare routine (I'd guess my oil?); this just pilled right off, even after waiting 30 minutes.

Erno Laszlo Multi-Task Eye Serum Mask: hydrogel patches that adhere really well. A bit perfumey, but not so bad that I can't stand them. All in all, they're fine. While I haven't looked up the price, I know about what Laszlo runs, so I can say I'd never spend the money on them, but I'd use more if they showed up at my door.  

Another month with a lot of empties in the downsizing quest!  All of the "Loves" are things I've used for some time now.  The L'Occitane soap has the most amazing scent, I only use it when I travel as a special treat--particularly when I'm on business travel and exhausted, using it in my shower gives me a reason to wake up in the morning.

Overall the thinks that I liked were great products, it's just that with they don't fall into the "clean" category which I'm trying to transition to, or they just don't work as well for me as other products out there do. 

I got the deodorant as a sample and gave it a try, I ended up really liking it and am going to transition to aluminum-free deodorant and away from antiperspirant over the next few months.  I found that I really don't sweat as much as I thought I did and after a few days adjustment, there was less than a 10% difference in sweating.  I'll use a different brand though.

The things I disliked for the most part I really, really disliked. The Caudalie has a terrible smell, the Paul Mitchel soap got "warts" which tells me it's really cheaply made with bad ingredients.  The Algenist was so think and gooey I couldn't use the dropper and had to just pour it out into my palm.  The Isle of Paradise drops left terrible orange-ish streaks on my legs, even when applied as directed with two drops blended into a glob of lotion--see the L'Occitane in the same photo and the Coco Cabana Cream to show how much cream I was blending those drops into.  And yet again, I still haven't found a single Boscia product I liked.

LOVES:
loves8-19.jpg

LIKED (but probably won't buy because there are better products out there)
OK 8-19.jpg

NOPE
nope 8-19.jpg

My August empties! Loved the MAC mascara, TF glitter glue, C.O. Bigelow Salve and the candles. Everything else was just okay.

I love the Too Faced Glitter Glue! I think it really makes a difference for me when applying shimmer eyeshadows which are my favorite to use. The eyeshadows last longer on my oily lids and there’s no fallout.

Re: RE: Empties

@samkeaysxo I was wondering about that glitter glue.  Good to know!  Any special remover that worked best with it?

RE: Re: RE: Empties

You can easily take it off with makeup wipes, any makeup remover

Adding more empties... y’all, I finally KonMari-ed my place. I still have sentimental items but I’m taking two weeks off decluttering before I tackle those.

I’ve used up most of these items... except for the Pulp Fiction & hair products which are being passed on. All of the nail polishes are being dumped, they are so dried out! Same with some Colorpop liquid lipsticks. Last pic is of all things I ended up finishing up after this pic; all are repurchase for me. Same with the Masque Vivant in the first pic. It smells like yeast and you look like a little wild with it on but it’s one of the best detox masks I’ve found. Masque Vivant followed with the Benton Snail Bee Mask is my go to prevent post airplane breakouts or PMS skin.

Can’t add a spoiler in the app, so below is a rant...

There’s more items I’m getting purging from my collection... but I’m giving myself end of September for several and end of October for others. This is what Kon Mari would call items with “attachment to the past”, I want to get some more use out of them even though they don’t bring me joy... but throwing money out the door does not bring me joy. 😄 It’s sunk cost fallacy at its finest but seeing all that wasted money makes me nauseous! So imma use the items a little bit more and be miserable so the lesson really sinks in.

My painfully obvious lesson to myself: Don’t purchase for the sake of purchasing and try them ASAP and if you don’t like them return!!! I used to have the tendency to buy things leave them a couple of months then start using them and disliking them... couldn’t return them because they were the past the return date and decided to keep them “just in case” or “it’s money spent”. I’ve gotten better the over last two years and I don’t think I’ve purchased new makeup since 2017? Maybe even late 2016. Only repurchases of mascaras, brow products, concealers, foundations. I’m glad I’ve kicked the habit but doing decluttering has been a bit difficult and coming to term old and terrible shopping habits.

Here are my July/August empties. A lot these were used up during travel. Nothing really stood out... I would repurchase the UltraSheer Dry Touch. Not greasy and hydrating. I reeeaaaaly hoped I would have liked the Sunprise sunscreen but it has the strangest matte/sticky texture and made my rosacea flare up due to the citrus extract. The app will not let me do any kind of formatting or make comments below pictures... the last picture are items I would repurchase. If you are looking for a hydrating non-greasy sunscreen the Shiseido Senka is a good option. Tom Ford Neroli Portofini sample... I can only justifying purchasing new perfume if I use up two bottles. So, it will be sadly awhile before I can buy it.

Trash society!

20190822_074125.jpg

The latest batch! Still working on a never ending supply of minis and packets, so even though it's only been two weeks, it's another large set 🤪

YTD 323 empties

Notes in the spoilers!

LoveLove

Spoiler
Biobelle Happy Hour sheet mask: one of the original masks from my favorite brand. Perfect fabric, nice fit, good moisture, low scent. I can't evaluate the anti-aging claims, but I never use sheet masks with any expectation other than moisture anyways. 

Skyn Iceland Fresh Start Mask: this is a two part mask. The first packet is a blue creamy clay, which goes on with a cooling effect. The second part is a clear gel, and when you add it over the clay, it warms up a bit and bubbles very gently. It's such a fun mask, and my face always feels smooth and clean without being dry or tight. It's getting hard to find though...I'm not sure if it's been fully discontinued, but Ulta stopped carrying it (and any gift sets that had it) last year or early this year, so I've been rationing the few I do have left very slowly.

Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil: love love love this stuff! I hate the mini tubes though...part of the appeal for me is the jumbo applicator on the full size ones. I use this only at night, as a "seal" for my nightly lip balm, and it is amazing for that purpose. I've discovered that the Ulta lip oil is an excellent substitute for these, but I still love the luxe feel of the Clarins, and will continue to use it from time to time.

Ulta Sunscreen Lip Balm (coconut): these are excellent as a low-cost daily balm for folks like me that have a lip balm practically glued to their hand all day. Pomegranate is my favorite flavor because it's slightly less sweet than the coconut or watermelon ones, but all of them are lovely.     

LikeLike

Spoiler
The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%: I've read that azelaic acid can be hard to work with, and many formulations wind up gritty. This is a really nice lotion with a smooth, pleasant texture, and it mixes with most any moisturizer really well. I'm looking to cut back my routine just a tad, so I'm cutting this step out now that I've finished off the tube, just to see if it was helping more than I realized or if it was just an extra step I didn't need. If I decide to add azelaic back into my routine though, I wouldn't hesitate to grab this one again.

PTR Irish Moor Mud Mask: An extremely gentle, non-drying mud mask. It never dries down, just thickens up a little bit if you leave it on for a while (30min+ is my norm for pretty much any clay/mud mask, regardless of directions). Removal can be a bit aggravating as it gunks up a washcloth pretty quickly, so it takes several wipe/rinse the rag cycles for me to get it all off. All in all, it's an ok mask, but I tend to prefer a drier clay mask...I find them way more satisfying.

L'Oreal Pure Clay Cleanser Detox-Brighten Clay to Mousse: I really like this stuff, and maybe should have put it in loves instead of likes. It comes out of the tube really thick, but spreads easily and softens up to a creamy/moussey texture. It does a great job of cleansing without making me feel dry and tight. I could see myself buying a full size if I ever finish off the sample stash.

Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels: I like that they are dry and stick well without any slipping and sliding. Overall though, this isn't a product I'd buy, I just keep using them up because Ulta puts them in every.single.gwp.bag 😛

St. Tropez Purity Bronzing Water Mousse: This gave me fairly light results with my spotty once-a-week or so usage; I kept getting annoyed with myself for not remembering to use it often enough to really see how dark it could get, and I was a bit underwhelmed with it. But now that I've started testing something else, I actually appreciate this one a little more. It wasn't streaky, and even though it was light, it was enough to keep my legs from being completely pasty white, which in reality is all I'm going for. I'd try this one again, and perhaps try to see if I could build it up just a smidge more.

Bliss Aloe Leaf & Peppermint Foot Cream: the scent is minty goodness, but it's a bit thin for my taste. I put foot lotion on before bed each night, and prefer mine to be really thick and rich. This would be a good daytime option though, if you are more prone to use foot lotion before going out...it soaked in quickly and wasn't too greasy.

Clinique Pep-Start Double Bubble Purifying Mask: so much fun! Lots of bubbles, but they never felt like they were going to stray into my eyes or invade my nose/mouth. Bubble masks aren't a regular thing for me...not sure I'd buy one, but I'm happy I have a few more foils of this one to add a little variety from time to time.

PTR Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask: I have avoided this one like the plague for eternity because rose scents are one of my least favorite things in the world, but I was happy to find this wasn't so overwhelming that I couldn't tolerate it. Overall though, as a mask, it's just "eh" for me. I found the natural coolness of the gel to be soothing after dermaplaning, but it's not something I'd use regularly enough to even begin to evaluate the "bio-repair" claims.

Ole Henriksen Pure Truth Melting Cleanser: works well as a first cleanse, but I feel like I have to use more of this then my trusty Clinique TTDO Balm. Love the citrus scent, but of course, added fragrance isn't really good for you anyways. I could also see this being a melty, leaky mess if traveling in warm weather (not that I ever travel much lol). I'm not unhappy with it, I just like Clinique better.

ReVive Masque de Glaise Purifying Clay Mask: overall it's a nice clay mask; it reminds me in both color and texture/finish of Caudalie's Instant Detox mask. It works well and removes easily, slightly scented, but not overwhelmingly so. For a price point of $125 though, I expect to be amazed and wowed, and I wasn't. 

Skyn Iceland Berry Lip Fix: This worked reasonably well for me as a nighttime balm, sealed in with a lip oil, but I've found a better combo for nights and moved this to daytime usage. As a daytime balm, it's ok but not my favorite. It soaks in really well if you rub it a bit, but it doesn't leave that balmy finish on my lips that I adore, so I find myself using it more frequently just so I can try and build it up some. I'm also not a fan of tubes in general. I've got several more to use up because I thought it was gonna be HG status for me in the beginning lol, and I will do so happily, but I don't think I'll buy more.

Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Serum: I like the texture and it soaks in well, but it's nearly impossible to evaluate efficacy of a retinol with such a tiny sample. I have a couple more that I'm using next to see if I can get a better feel for longer-term results. 

NahNah

Spoiler
Vichy Idealia Nuit: Overall a nice product, but something about the texture of this one turned me off. It's a nice gel-cream, but was hard to spread. It's overly scented as well. 

Biolelle VitaminSea sheet mask: this one is here mostly out of disappointment over the new fabric...even though it says Tencel, it's not the same as their original Tencel masks. The scent isn't bad, a stronger version of their usual "sheet mask fresh", and the moisture is nice...I just don't like this new, thicker/less stretchy fabric. Out of the new ones, this one is my favorite, but I still like them way less than the originals.

Batiste Tropical Dry Shampoo: overall it was a decent performer, but the spray is heavy and I have a hard time using "just a little" like I normally strive for. The white powder seemed to disappear pretty well even though I got more than I like, but I use dry shampoo right before bed, and would wake up with white streaks on my red pillowcase...I've never had a dry shampoo leave that much residue in my hair before.

@RGbrown You've sold me on the Clarins Lip Oil.  Next time they have one of those "buy anything and get free shipping +10 samples" deals at Clarins direct I'll get the dark purple one, I think (berry?).  

@tinobiscuits 

🤤 I had NO idea there were other shades on their direct site...I've always bought with points and a 20% at Ulta, but they don't have it. Now that I've seen that blackberry one, I'll be scheming for a deal on it! 😍😍😍 

Anonymous Insider

Empties

I wish I founf this thread earlier cause I just threw away my empty It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream I use. Lol But next time and I'm on a new jar, stuff is amazing for the face! 😊😍👍

Some empties to share 🙂

Loves- A sweet BIC friend sent me Creme Shop masks. I was excited because the brand is new to me. Still learning about masks, and these were great and easy to use with a good fit. The Dior lash primer is also a fave!

5201D3B4-A7EA-4B9B-8015-1C4186D12FA9.jpeg

Not for me-

F441E1E3-281C-4682-833E-30738687671B.jpeg

I purchased the A’Pieu Cucumber mask at Target. Very cute concept (loved the slices), but it made my skin sting and turn red. The Smashbox Super-Fan mascara weighed down my lashes and flaked.

@angel7594 - omg, how cute are those Hello Kitty sheet masks?!!!

Calling it quits on this deluxe lipstick sample. Sephora Rouge Cream in R04 The Red. I’m starting to scrape the tube when putting it on and I’ve had this for like two or three years? It’s a great formula IMO and this is a very bright poppy shade of red

My latest batch! I've been holding some of this too long...don't remember much about a couple of things, but I've added notes to the best of my ability in the spoilers 😄

YTD count: 304 empties

IMG_20190813_141446161.jpg

Spoiler
LOVES: have or would rebuy

Cala Peppermint Moisturizing Foot Mask: At $5 for 3 at TJM, these are an economical moisturizing mask that does a nice job. I don't think about them often, but will always try and keep a few on hand.

Biobelle Dreamskin sheet mask: from their original lineup, which is still my all time favorite brand. The fabric in these is simply phenomenal, thin and stretchy, conforms well, doesn't slide around, fits great...plus they have low scent and provide great moisture. I will always have a variety of their OG masks on hand (provided they don't change them).

Fizz & Bubble Relax (Black Amber & Lavender) Shower Steamer: I don't have a tub so I can't get in on the bath bomb/scented bath items trend (sadly), but I have really enjoyed scented shower steamers as an alternative. This one was a huge cube, good for several showers, but it made a drippy mess; I have a soap dish about hip-high built into my shower wall, and the streaks running down the wall between showers were incredibly unsightly. Next time I'll break these down to chunks and just sprinkle a bit in the dish for each shower. But the scent is fantastic! 

Klorane Anti-Pollution Purifying Mist with Aquatic Mint: I leave my hair up in a ponytail most of the time, especially in the heat, but on the occasion I want to take it down, sometimes it just smells...dusty? Stale? This is like a breath mint for your hair, removing the funk and freshening it up for the day. Pleasantly light minty freshness!

Ulta Brightening Yuzu Fruit sheet mask: Ulta house brand masks can be hit or miss...some are great but others are alcohol bombs. This is one of the good ones, though I think it has been discontinued. I bought a bunch of them when they were available, and will happily use them up (and will be sad when I've finished them off lol). It's a thicker black fabric, thicker than I normally like, but it still adheres well and lays pretty decently, and the fit is good. Low scent, good moisture...I don't ask for anything more from a mask, and this one checks all my boxes.

Korres Pomegranate Balancing Cream-Gel Moisturizer: Korres has never been a brand that interested me much, not for any negative reason though...I just haven't really looked at them. This took me by surprise! Added fragrance is bad, I know, but it's low on the list, and it smelled really good (lightly fruity/herbal). This was the perfect consistency and gave me the exact amount of moisture my oily skin in the humid south needed. I have way too many samples to work through, but this has shot to the top of my "rebuy when I actually need something" list.

The One by Frederic Fekkai One More Day Dry Shampoo: I've been using up some mediocre dry shampoos lately, so perhaps my initial thoughts are tainted just by "thankfully this isn't as bad", but holy cow, I was impressed with this. It feels like nothing in my hair, just leaves it soft and silky. The powder is more of a pale brown/beige, so it blends in better than most white ones, and it all disappears easily with only a tousle or two of my roots. The scent is a little perfumey, but it isn't strong and it dissipates quickly. I need to try this next to my other fave (bumble) but this is definitely in the running for top of the list status. Price will make it an occasional splurge, unfortunately, but I will be hoarding any samples I can get my hands on.

Urban Skin Rx Purifying 2-in-1 Pumpkin Pore Detox Mask and Scrub: This is a white creamy mask with little orange jojoba beads for exfoliating. I find the beads quite gentle (too gentle for my taste...if I'm going to scrub, I want to feel it), but overall, I really liked the mask and will be picking this up at some point, perhaps for the winter. It's self-warming, which is a bit overkill in the summer but will be appreciated when the weather cools down, and it makes my skin feel nice and smooth. Removal is easy. And it smells divine...warm and spicy pumpkin, not too sweet, maybe a pumpkin gingerbread? Yum. 

IMG_20190813_141618666.jpg

Spoiler
FINE & DANDY: would reuse, but probably won't buy

Leaders AC Clear Treatment Mask: I really don't remember much about this one, but I don't recall disliking it. Leaders does some nice sales, so I could see myself ending up with more at some point, but there aren't many that wind up on my "would definitely rebuy" list because no matter how hard I try to like them, sheet masks just aren't my favorite skincare step.

Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels: I keep using 'em, Ulta keeps sending me more lol. They feel nice, they're fine, but not something I'd pay for.

Patchology Flashpatch Restoring Night Eye Gels: similar to the Skyn gels, I wouldn't buy these, but will use them as I get them. These were slippery...it took a few minutes for them to dry out enough to stay in place, so they fall just a notch under the Skyn gels in terms of likability for me, but they're still fine.

Urban Decay Troublemaker mascara: I think I'm one of 5 folks on the planet that really liked this one lol. It wore well for me, provided good definition and length. Would absolutely use again, but it didn't dethrone my fave (Laura Geller Lash Boss), so it stays in likable territory. 

CoTz Lightly Tinted Face Moisturizer: I didn't realize this wasn't a sample of my fave sunscreen from them until I opened it...they've recently redone their packaging and I just didn't pay close attention. In any case, this was really nice. It's not quite as thick as their Prep & Protect, and the tint is muuuuuuuch lighter/more subtle. If you are too pale for their OG Natural Face (now Prep & Protect), you would probably love this one. This is still thick for a moisturizer, but not nearly as dense/heavy/silicone-y. It spreads well, and disappears completely on me (and I imagine it would for most, except maybe the darkest of skin tones). I still prefer Prep & Protect...I actually like the denseness of it over this, but I will absolutely use this again if I get more.

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Micro Cleansing Foam: A light foam cleanser that does a good job of cleansing without stripping. It takes a good bit though, and it's a bit perfumey...the scent isn't terribly overwhelming, but I could do without it.

Sun Bum Revitalizing 3-in-1 Leave-In: smelled fabulous (banana coconut)! Did an ok job and wasn't too heavy, though it wasn't the best detangler I've ever used.

IMG_20190813_141807684.jpg

Spoiler
NOPES

Biobelle (Peachy, VitaminSea, InstantDetox): I am soooooooooo disappointed with Biobelle's new masks. Pics on Ulta's site all show "Tencel" on the packaging, but the masks I received mostly don't say that. And even VitaminSea, which does say Tencel, isn't the same material, or at least it's not woven/constructed the same. The new ones are thicker/less stretchy, and just don't lay nearly as well as the old ones do. And Biobelle has also taken to adding some pretty hefty fragrance to the new line. Sure, peach and watermelon smell good, but it wasn't necessary IMHO (plus the rose one nearly made me gag as I'm not a fan of florals). Unfortunately I have a few more of the new ones to use up (because I thought Biobelle could do no wrong!), but these are definitely on my no-buy list for eternity.

Alterna Bamboo Style Cleanse Extend Translucent Dry Shampoo (Mango Coconut): The scent wasn't quite as fruity as would be expected, but it was still fine...it had a touch of something dry/woody to it, which I liked. But, this stuff dried my roots out pretty badly, leaving them crunchy, and it also has a bit of texture/volumizing function that left my hair stiff. Product feel is a big no for me, so this is out.

Bliss What A Melon Overnight Mask + Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask: I lumped these together because while they are different formulas and aren't really dupes, the texture/consistency is similar between the two. Unfortunately, these jelly-type sleeping masks don't seem to agree with something else in my routine, and they pill off somewhere around 90% of the time for me.

Andalou Naturals Kombucha Enzyme Exfoliating Mask: perhaps the gentlest mask on the face of the planet lol. It's not a bad mask, but I prefer something a little stronger.

Elemis Soothing Apricot Toner: The added fragrance makes this anything but soothing. It's pretty high up on the ingredient list, and I could tell when my skin was angry...this stuff would burn like crazy. Nope.

Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Mask: a creamy lotion-type wash-off mask. Overly scented (and offensive to my nose).  Easy to remove, but I didn't really notice any results, and the scent was just awful...perfumey baby powder was my take on it. Another nope (and I've noped so many items from this brand now that I've lost all interest, even in the one or two things I did like).

@RGbrown This was a good read.  Thank you!  I am inspired to go find my Kloraine spray!  And I am also inspired to lament the fact that I bought an Elemis trial kit that I haven't opened yet and now it's too late to return.  😞   Why do I do things like this to myself?  I had no idea that brand was so heavily scented.  

@tinobiscuits 

I'm really disappointed in Elemis as well 😥 I bought one of the trial kits too, ironically just to test this toner, not realizing how heavily fragranced the brand was. 

Their Superfood Day Cream (non SPF version) wasn't terrible, and I've got a mini of the enzyme peel to test again (I tried a packet a few months ago and I think I liked it, but it's been a while so I hope I'm not misremembering), but overall, this brand will be a pass from me in the future. 😐

The Klorane is a really nice alternative to the typical perfumey hair mist; I'm really enjoying it!

8,134 Replies
testing