Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

Just a small batch this time around 😀

IMG_20190515_152005881.jpg

Spoiler
Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Toner: a nice, non-acid, alcohol-free toner that is unfortunately currently a suspect in my watery eyes problem. Every time I think I have it ruled out, my eyes water like crazy again after using it. I have another mini for further testing.

Skyn Iceland Pure Cloud Cream: what I imagine FAB's Barriair cream would be like if it were in a tube instead of a tub. It's a touch thicker but overall, very very similar in texture and performance. I like it; not too heavy for my oily/dehydrated skin, but has great moisture. No discernible scent. Would use again.

Ulta Lip Oil (coconut): love this stuff almost as much as I love the Clarins, and use it frequently as a sub since it's soooo much cheaper. Works wonders as an overnight lip treatment to seal in my Skyn balm, leaving my lips soft and moisturized each morning.

Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Shampoo & Conditioner: I felt like the shampoo was a touch drying (it also smells exactly like their clarifying shampoo, so perhaps that was a bit of a mind game on my part), but the conditioner was really really nice and definitely left my hair soft. I'd probably skip the shampoo again, but would love to try the conditioner with other products.

Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In: I liked it, but didn't find it any better or worse than most other leave in sprays I've tried. Not too heavy for my fine hair, and provides moderate help for detangler. Would use again.

Coola Sunless Tan Firming Lotion: I've started dipping my toes in the self-tanner world 😯 My arms and chest tan just fine on their own (sigh, I know, sunscreen...), but my legs are always ghostly white no matter what, so that's where I've started for now. I'm not great at it yet, and the fact that this lotion is clear doesn't help...I should have started with one that has a color guide. I blame the user, not the product lol. The color is nice...I just have to get my knees/ankles/feet technique down before I consider moving up to my chest/neck area to try and hide some of the tan lines I'll inevitably wind up with there.

RE: Empties

Recycle box of empties filled again. This time I grouped the photos by my ratings. Photo 1, usual winner suspects. These are repeat purchases. I use the Clinique as a 5 min mask. Photo 2, winners. Definitely would purchase, all of them left my skin happy and soft. Photo 3 Good. They do what they are supposed to but aren’t wow. Many are repurchases because of their awesome price point. Photo 4, meh. Not horrid, but I won’t repurchase. Photo 5, losers. Pig clear nose mask was a waste of time and didn’t perform well compared to others. The Jack Black sample face wash performed at a winner level, but smelled like rotting marine life that’s been on the beach for a couple days (you who live in a beach town know what I mean, those random seal and otter and fish corpses that bake in the sun for days). Korres Rose serum/oil smelled like burnt cooking oil, (you know when it starts smelling fishy). It might perform well but I ran and exfoliated it away as fast as possible. And the TM Chok Chok watery moisturizer is not watery. Too thick for my taste. Not a disaster product, smelled lovely and I love other products in the line. It was just too thick and slime for me.

Still traveling. A few more before I head home. Don’t care for the scent of the Fresh, Bumble & Bumble are good but I have others I prefer, the Kiehl’s is great but I am switching to a similar product by Drunk Elephant for a few months. Jury is still out. The Lancôme makeup remover is still the best and imho worth paying a bit more for.

Empties

April (and early May) empties and declutters!! I had a lot of my shower items runs out within days of each other. Quite a few duds in this batch unfortunately. 🤷 The declutters are in the bottom center-ish. Most of them were just hanging around too long. I think the Caudaile serum triggers my seasonal allergies so I had to stop using it. The BTS mascara is just not for me. I end up with chunks of it in my eye which is super uncomfortable.

Traveling and didn’t want to haul trash around, so a small shot. I’d use them all again except the Bryant mask. Nothing wrong with it, but there are some many others I prefer.

IMG_1191.JPGLIKES:

SKINMEDICA LYTERA(expensive but REALLY WORKS!, got it from my dermatologists office)

BRIOGEO (smells like oranges yum! and didn't dry my hair out, but i do use leave-in)

ALL NIGHTER (perfect setting spray for going out and i never have issues with it)

ANGEL VEIL( loved it as a primer but i feel there are better ones out there for my now drier skin)

VERB(no real scent, not bad but didn't see a lot of volume either)

NYX-SHADE:LONDON (wow did i go through this fast, doesn't last long the the lips but it never claims too, really pretty shade) 

DISLIKES:

ON THE ROCKS (it did not work with my hair felt drying)

NUTRISSE (lasted pretty long for a sample that came with my purple hair dye didn't do anything tho)

SECRET deodorant (HATE!!!! dont buy this mistake, going back to my dove, it feels super heavy but no matter how much i shake it the product wont come out! humph! wasteful and not even a good deodorant)

FOREO LUNA (works well, but the longevity is bad compared to a clarisonic, i plug it in and it works but the cable is so short, its not possible to have it plugged in and wash ur face) , AVENE sunscreen (NO!, it burns my eyes 😞 don't buy this, a good one is biore)

REPURCHASES:

SKINMEDICA LYTERA

ALL NIGHTER (got the back up already for the summer heat)

BRIOGEO (will be purchasing the large size of the conditioner maybe) 

My recycle box filled up quick over 3 days I think. Mainly from a couple decluttered found in a random old unsorted box. First picture is the empties. Reluctant winner was the midflower Binchotan, it worked great, my skin felt great, but the smell was horrible! I had to take it off early because of the smell. Maybe next time I will put scentedcottonballs in my nose or something. Runner up was the dermal red ginger mask. I have a love hate relationship with this one. Sometimes it’s the best, sometimes the earthy smell is too much for me. Good include therest ofdermals with the exception of the meh/loser dermal milk. Dried in record time and I’m just not a fan of the essence. Etude eye patch’sgood like always. South mane lip mask was terrible, kept popping off andI was over it in two minutes. The stack full of scoops is something I accidentally have been hoarding. Sample of TM Peach Punch cleanser did its job and smells delicious, and I was able to blow bubbles out my nose, extra bonus. Sample of Clinique moisture serge is already part of my routine (I use it as a five minute mask), Sample of Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel worked well, but had a scent that was a touch annoying to me. Sample of Tarte sea setting spray was functional, but not my fav. Perricone MD Eyelid serum does help withmakeup application on my annoying eyelids, it works, but I wantsomething that works better. I’m always testing. In the meantime I already have a refill waiting for me. Second picture is of de clutter of random products some from a box I hadnt opened in years. Thenail polish has gone bad and I didn’t really like it in the first place. Ihave no clue how I ended up with that Lacrosse inspiration perfume, must have been a past roommates, I tried a spritz and ZOMG it was horrible.My cats and I were fumigated from the office until the smell dissipated. TM cooling eye stick is alright, but I prefer the saem ‘s cooling eye stick.. I had bad allergic reaction to the Eros chapstick, it was some peppermint seasonal thing. The Mitchum deodorant is a mystery to me, I never would’ve bought it, maybe from the same person with the horridperfume. Finally the Neutrogena sunscreen. The visibly even line used tobe great and totally even my skin tone then they changed the formula and now it’s poop. This bottle was when I realized it was poop and somehow it got packed in a box instead of ditched.

Re: RE: Empties

I just started using my sample of the Peach Punch cleanser and I love it.  I'm a sucker for nice smells.  

Sometimes it seems like it takes forever to fill up the trash bag, and other days, it seems like it fills up on its own, overnight 😋 The latest batch!

Notes in the spoiler 

IMG_20190508_172255310.jpg

Spoiler
Capri Blue candle, Blue Jean: this was a blind buy, and I'm glad I splurged on the candle instead of the perfume...I liked it ok as a home fragrance, but don't think I'd enjoy it as a wearable scent. It's what I'd call a fancy floral, way different than what I imagined from the "citrus, white musk, patchouli" description. Throw was good...it really scented my apartment up. However, there is a ton of wax left (maybe 25-30%). The wick was off center to begin with, and the heat from it just didn't reach the sides to melt them down, even on the side the wick was closest to. I spent points on it, so I'm glad there was no real cash involved, but all in all, this was not a favorable first impression. Due to a shipping error from Ulta, I actually have a second one on hand, and will give it shot at some point to see if it burns any better. But for $30, I wouldn't rebuy after this experience.

Kate Somerville Liquid Exfolikate: this was a gratis from Sephora, and it's *almost* the perfect toner for me. I really liked it! I started off with daily use, but then about halfway through the bottle, I swapped it to every other day just to stretch the supply a bit longer, and I was still happy with the results. The only con was it didn't always feel like it soaked in...sometimes it felt like it left a residue on my face. This disappeared when I layered on the rest of my routine, but I'm still not a fan of that feeling in the first place. I accidentally used it one night, then remembered I wanted to dermaplane, and that was a nightmare of a shaving session...the razor dragged and skipped all over the place, and I had to give up. But overall, I would absolutely use this again, and will mull over the idea of purchasing another one when a sale comes around...I'm not a fan of the price, but I do like the product very much.

Tarte Maracuja Oil: this was the very first facial oil I tried when I finally decided to jump on the "oil for oily skin" train. Overall I really like it, and would absolutely use again, but I've accumulated so many over the last couple of years that this one got pushed to the back, forgotten, and went bad.

Elemis Gentle Foaming Face Wash: the first Elemis product that I've really liked instead of just tolerating or dealing with. It's a thick, moussey consistency, and barely foams up at all. Does a great job of cleansing without stripping my skin. Would absolutely use again, though I have too many other cleansers in my stash to consider a purchase right now.

My Clarins Refresh Hydrating Beauty Mist: ummm, perfume sample size? Smelled like a perfume too. Worked fine for the two essence-uses I got out of it, but really? Minuscule much? Certainly wouldn't buy, and would just roll my eyes if another sample appeared.

Cotz Natural Tinted SPF 40: holy grail sunscreen!

CoverFX Perfect Setting Powder: Liked this just fine. Could look a little heavy if I wasn't good about layering on the moisture beforehand, but normally that's not much of an issue for me...my morning routine is almost ridiculous with the moisture lol. I use it to set my sunscreen or tinted moisturizer, just to knock down a bit of the shine. Worked well for my purposes, and I was content with it. I think I have another one I can use later, but I also have a couple of other powders in rotation that I'm also content with; I'm not feeling like I have to be loyal to this one.  

Herbal Essences Bio:Renew Revitalizing Dry Shampoo: I was kinda surprised how much I liked this one. Low on the white-stuff scale, and worked well. It was a bit perfumey, but dissipated quickly, and overall, I was happy with it. It's on clearance for $3 at Ulta (in-store, it's gone from the site), and I came thiiiis close to buying a couple more cans when I found them last week, but I really can't justify any more dry shampoo purchases right now...I'm literally out of room for it.

Cala Peppermint Moisturizing Foot Mask: I think these are $5 for a 3pk at TJM, and they are totally worth it. Would buy more (and already have a second box). They are slightly cooling, and give great moisture...my feet stay softer for 2-3 days or so.

Yes to Grapefruit Vitamin C Glow Boosting Paper Mask: the eye holes are MASSIVE, and I love that...I hate a mask that comes too close. Plus, they have eye flaps if you wanna kick back and pull them up. Overall the fit is a bit sloppy, it's a little big for me, but that doesn't bother me. The scent is light and grapefruity per the name. Would use again.

TonyMoly I'm Tea Tree Skin Soothing Mask: I lightly squeeze every single sheet mask as I pull it out of the package; not enough to completely dry it out or anything like that, but I don't want a drippy mess. The serum on this one is dang near the consistency of water though, and dripped dripped dripped the entire time I had it on. I gave up after about 10 minutes as I couldn't stand it anymore. The scent was fine, and I seem to recall fit being passable, but nope to the drippy mess. 

The Kate Somerville Liquid Exfolikate always interested m...

The Kate Somerville Liquid Exfolikate always interested me. I'm glad you liked it overall! @RGbrown

RE: Re: Empties

@RGbrown I’m so glad the grapefruit yes mask worked for you. I got a serious burn from it a few months ago and I’m not allergic to many items or brands. (All Aveeno, all Evos, and some Mr Bubbles). When I put it on and immediately felt a burning sensation so I ripped it off and my face and ran to wash it off. I felt like it was in flames and oh my goodness I looked horrible. I still have some textured skin and red spots on my cheeks from it. It also triggered acne on the sides of my nose that I had under control in my routine. My red face days are also more red than before. Slowly getting better but gah.

Re: RE: Re: Empties

@Weetart 

Yikes! I'm so sorry to hear that! It's amazing how some products can affect certain folks so dramatically. I'm glad you're healing up from it though! 

Re: RE: Re: Empties

@RGbrown oh I know! I definitely pulled the short straw on that one. The only other product that has burnt me was that JCat purple lipstick I wore once during the challenge. But I was able to take that off my skin faster and keep it from doing too much damage. I think because it was a mask it just seeped into my skin so quickly the damage was hard to manage.

Okay so I want to try something new and to show my empties weekly.  I go through so much stuff that at the end of the month I am overwhelmed and sometimes can’t remember what I liked or didn’t like .

47C5F3B4-6728-469E-BBF5-32384C291E33.jpeg

Moschino toy honey mask- was comically big for my face and dried my skin out.  

Sephora sleeping pack- didnt last all night 

Too bad about the Moschino mask! It is so cute, I couldn’t resist buying it!

Bummer about the Moschino mask, @heartsmyface.  I know you were excited for the new collection.

I totally understand why you'd want to do them weekly @heartsmyface !  Too bad about the mask... it had such potential.... .seems to be a bad week for sephora mask reviews!

April Empties! Tons of products this month

That's an impressive amount of empties, @karap03!

@karap03, great job using up your products!

@karap03, great job using up your products!

Great job in April, @karap03!

8,134 Replies
testing