Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

Only one nope nope nope this time around, yay! (And it's NOT the sheet mask, surprisingly 😯😋)

IMG_20190202_164736922.jpg

Spoiler
LOVE:
BBW Shea It Isn't So foot cream: love the thickness of it. It's my last tube and I've managed to accumulate tons of other foot lotions since last buying this, so it'll be a while before repurchasing, but unless I find something I like more in my stash, this will make an appearance in my collection again.

Andalou Naturals Meyer Lemon + C cleanser: if Ulta carried this cleanser, I'd probably have a backup already (or 12 😋), but they don't, so I don't. I have dozens of samples to move on to for now, but this will come back to my collection at some point as well. Creamy, non-drying, light citrus scent. Excellent daily cleanse. 

BBW Apple Spiced Toddy: love the warm cinnamon scents. 

This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray: smells simply divine. It's a warm and comforting herbal scent. Almost keeps me awake though, since I just want to lay there and smell it 😂 Loved it enough to pick up a full size.

Skin Food Black Sugar Splash Mask: I really like how this makes my skin feel. I have another mini, but I'm trying to cut back on exfoliation a bit...I think I go overboard sometimes, and testing the Kate Somerville Liquid Exfolikate for the Gratis thread is more of a priority right now. I can easily see myself adding this back in in the future though.

Julep Boost Your Radiance oil: lightweight oil that's perfect for my oily skin's day time needs. Have more samples, and could see myself purchasing at some point in the future.

Valjean Labs Hyaluronic Serum: I really like this for an extra moisture boost, and I don't think an HA serum needs to be expensive (I think retail on this one is $15, though I can find it pretty reliably at TJMaxx for $5.99-6.99). It's excellent on its own, or used as a thinner for some of my thicker creams and serums. Have more already.

LIKE (but won't buy):
Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mask: fairly thin cotton that didn't seem to hold much serum at first, but also stayed wet for over 30 minutes, so I guess it held plenty lol. The scent was pleasant...I'd describe it as maybe a citrusy herbal, and it was light enough to not be offensive. Tiny eye holes though, and it took quite a few cuts to adjust it to my liking. My skin felt nice afterwards and looked bright. All in all, I will happily use my second one at some point, but didn't like it enough to shell out big bucks for more (nor would I even at half the price...make em a buck or two, and maaayyybe then lol)

Elemis Papaya Enzyme Peel: my first creamy exfoliant, and it was quite nice. No stinging or burning or tingling, and my skin looked great after using it. Would use again, but I have too many exfoliants at lesser prices that I like just as well to really consider a purchase in the future. 

NAH
Kiehl's Ginger Leaf & Hibiscus Firming Mask: this has a very thick, paste like texture, and was incredibly difficult to spread. Any attempts to do more than just barely spread it were met with pilling...I like to massage a sleeping mask in a bit, but that was impossible with this. On nights where I got it on right without accidentally rubbing it too much, I really liked how my face looked in the morning, and while it's not marketed as moisturizing, it seemed to help in that department. But it was just sooooo finicky that I'd never buy it. The packet was super generous...I got something like 8-10 uses out of it, but at least half of those wound up coming right back off due to pilling.

Thank you for the detailed mask reviews @RGbrown 😊

@eshoe no problem! 🙂

RE: Empties

January empties! Didn’t really love any except for the Marc Anthony curl cream (this was the 3rd or 4th bottle), Clarisonic deep Pore brush head (again, 3rd or 4th one), and the PTR Pumpkin Enzyme mask which I’m OBSESSED WITH and will be repurchasing! All the others were all just meh.

I just finished a huge 250 mL (about 8oz) jar of Scinic Snail All-in-One. It took 2 years of me using it generously on my face and hands. It was super moisturizing and on days when I was feeling lazy, I could just cleanse and apply this ampoule, seal it with an oil, and be done. Cut my 10 step routine into 3 if I felt like it. I won’t repurchase simply because I like trying new things. However, I’d recommend it especially since it’s so cheap!

Re: RE: Empties

@ssprinkles Thanks for the feedback. I will have to give this a try!

Best,
Rebecca 

My goal for the year is to use 100 items. I got through 16 this month. I think that is a record for me.

Jan Loves.jpg

Love-
Wax Melts
Skyn Iceland Eye Gels x2
Yuni Shower Sheets
Sephora Foot Mask
Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser- HG
IT CC Cream

Jan Likes.jpg

Like-
Philosiphy Love Swept- I don't know where this one disappeared off too, I'll have to ask Apollo.
Dr. Jart BB Balm
Voluspa Laguna Candle
Sephora Watermelon Mask

Jan Hates.jpg

Hate-
Blueberry Mask- Horrible Burnt Tire Smell.
Aerin Gardenia Rattan
bosica purifying gel
Fresh Vitamin Nectar Powder

Jan No Opinion.jpg

No Opinion-
Spa Sesh Mask
Clinique Laser Focus Eye Cream

@Samtian What a great start to your goal! Good luck this month!

Best,
Rebecca 

😍

1817A81A-0561-41BE-A0C5-F0D70A7A246E.jpeg

Josh Rosebrook Nutrient Day Cream - just a sample but I loved the way this made my skin feel. Once I finish what I have open, I'm going to be buying this.

Herbivore Botanicals Prism - my favourite new exfoliating serum; my skin looks so much brighter and more even toned with use and I did notice my pores looking a bit less apparent

REN Ready Steady Glow - I really liked this acid at first but the longer I used it, the less I noticed results

Cake Beauty Heavy Cream - one of my go to's for dry winter hands and feet

Siam Seas Yen Toner - a beautiful hydrating toner that feels lovely on the skin but the price for the size is a bit too off for me, so I probably won't repurchase

Saturday Skin Cotton Cloud Mask - this was a really great sheet mask; super hydrating and soothing and it came with cute cloud stickers, too

Zelens Z Recovery Balm - another sample; felt really nice on the face and skin felt plumped the following morning

Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator - one of my HG toners, this is a regular repurchase

Lise Watier Extreme Hold CC Primer - one of the best eye primers I've found for hooded lids

Dr Jart Cicapair - didn't really do much for my face but it came in handy for healing a deep crack in my heel

😴7EA25099-3C50-41BF-831E-D0BA6ED110AF.jpeg

SK-ii Sheet Mask - came with lots of extra serum but it was drippy and didn't stay on well and I noticed no difference afterwards

Ordinary Granactive Retinol - not my favourite retinol; it never felt like it absorbed and left a greasy film on my face and wasn't as effective as others I'd tried

Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip - nothing wrong with it, it's just not my favourite

Odacite Black Mint Cleanser - I liked this at first but over time it started to feel a little too stripping for my skin

Graydon Matcha Mint Shampoo - this was a GWP; it was nice but not nourishing enough for my dry, damaged hair

Shiseido Cotton - it's cotton

Farmacy Honey Savior - another balm that I don't like on my skin but worked well for healing a heel crack

Mahalo Queen Emma - I didn't outright dislike this but it was really disappointing. It's more expensive than my favourite 'luxury' serums from Vintners Daughter and Odacite (by quite a bit, I might add) and I never felt like it was doing anything (other than smelling pleasant). I tried using it regularly for 3 months and that didn't produce any noticeable results, which led to me continuing to use it sporadically to use it up. Wasn't as plumping or glow inducing as others.

Suqqu Soft Velvet + Natural Covering Powders - I didn't like either of these alone so I ended up mixing them together to make something that worked marginally better. Soft Velvet was waaaaay too pink for my skintone and Natural Covering made me look greasy.

Smashbox Primerizer - just a sample but did not like the way this sat on the skin 

Skin Inc Serum - a blend of the French Pine, Hyaluronic Acid and Niacinamide serums but all I could pick out from this is the HA helping to keep my skin hydrated

Skin Tonic Detox Beauty Oil - another facial oil from ST I was finishing up; the ingredients list is great but it just did not want to absorb

😫C6A94B44-7F34-468D-BE6C-00B1B084DB70.jpeg

Cinema Secrets - I hate this brush cleaner; the smell is soooo strong and I feel like it's too drying

Namari Skin Sorbet - this was too thick and waxy for a face balm

Cake Snow Sugar - did not like the smell; citrus is not what I was expecting from snow sugar

Ole Henriksen GlowOH Dark Spot Toner - received this complimentary from Influenster but did not have a good experience with it. The scent is horrendous (sweet + industrial lemon solvent) and the longer I used it, the more I started breaking out. PASS.

never saw that scent 'snow sugar' before. agreed citrus i...

never saw that scent 'snow sugar' before. agreed citrus is not the way to go for snow....🤔😁 @Mochapj

@Mochapj I'm so glad I read your post! I've been looking for a cleaner toner to replace my HG with and not so successful in finding a replacement, I'd be interested in trying that josh rosebrook. 

Empties

Nothing overly impressive from this month's empties but I did really like the Ole Henriksen cleansing gel (I've actually developed a little stockpile of this in various sizes because I really like it!), the TIGI Bedhead hairspray (it's a regular purchase), and the Philosophy Hand creams (I have a little collection of these to go through). Everything else was pretty lackluster.

Lots of a wonderful empties! I'm currently working through my mini @OLEHENRIKSEN - Face the Truth™ Gel Cleansercleanser! One of my favorites. 🙂 @CookieGirl1 

JANUARY Empties. LOVES: purity cleanser, Dove exfoliating body polish, which shave cream in almond, klorane dry shampoo with nettle, korres wild rose advances brightening facial, beauty blender, bobbi brown hydrating face cream. DISLIKES: YSL all in one glow foundation (sheer coverage, too dewy for me), tatcha the pearl eye cream shade moonlight (odd consistency, hard to blend, doesn’t sink into the skin). *the rest were all good; not outstanding, not bad.

@karap03 Awesome empties! I love the KATE SOMERVILLE - ExfoliKate® Intensive Exfoliating Treatment. Thanks for all your feedback, I think I have a few things to try!

Best,
Rebecca 

@karap03 The NARS Pro-Prime™ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base Originalismy favourite eye primer.  While its not something that I get excited to use... its a daily workhorse in my make up bag!  Nice set of empties!

Love the Sephora brush cleaning spray and already have many backups, will never live without! The Paula’s choice toner is a basin toner that I enjoy using everyday. The Bioderma micellar water is also something that I use everyday and will never live a day without! And finally I got the La Roche-Posay shower gel was a gift that I received that was very gentle on the body! Will definitely re-purchase the first 3 items!

It's been about five weeks and I've used up enough from my stockpile that it now fits into two FFF boxes instead of three.

We'll start with would not buy again/didn't like:

empties1.jpg

empties 4.jpg

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Clay Mask

I felt like this did nothing for my skin one way or the other, and was a bit drying.

Urban Decay Mascara, I hated the wand.

AMOREPACIFIC - The Essential Creme Fluid 

I felt like this was so runny that it was hard to apply, it just dripped everywhere.  Might be better if not in a foil

CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion 2 6.7 oz/ 200 mL

My skin is dry to normal  This stuff smelled terrible of alcohol and witch hazel and was HORRIBLY drying.  Shame on them for selling this as something appropriate for dry or even normal skin.

KOPARI - Coconut Melt

I hate this stuff.  It is a greasy mess.

BOSCIA - Luminizing Black Charcoal Mask

Meh.  I used the entire tube over about two months, 1-2 times a week, and it did nothing to clear my pores.  I have tried a number of items from this brand and have yet to find one I'd even consider buying.

Jurlique Lip Care Balm--it's grainy and you have to use your finger to apply as opposed to having an applicator tip.  It's also really greasy.

Drybar On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo 8.5 oz/ 250 mL

Meh.  It's expensive and there are a number of clarifying shampoos that do a better job.  The Drybar On The Rocks Lightweight Conditioner 8.5 oz/ 250 mL is a detangler, but doesn't condition.

OUAI - REPAIR Shampoo

Yet again nothing special.  There are much better products on the market, and this is expensive.  Same with the OUAI REPAIR Conditioner 8.45 oz/ 250 mL

I hear ya @flamingolegs about the Clinique Clarifying Lotion! I REALLY miss the Mild Clarifying Lotion. That was their best one! Now, I have to make due with the Clarifying Lotion 1.0. It is the only one that doesn't have any alcohol, but it does have witch hazel. I follow the Clarifying Lotion with patting the KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Ultra Facial Tonerinto my skin, and that makes it less drying.

I threw away my Clinique clarifying lotion 2 as well after using it once. The smell was so off putting and then I noticed it had alcohol in it! No thanks! 😣 @flamingolegs 

I started using it when I was in Ireland where it's sooo humid (even in the winter) that I didn't notice how drying it was.  But then I took the remainder to Oklahoma where even in the summer when it's humid, the never ending wind filled with that fine, fine grit tricks your skin into thinking it's super dry year round.  Big mistake on my part.  I used it the first night I got there and didn't really notice, but the next morning, holy hell.  Glad it was gone after that and I switched to the Caudalie I had brought along.

8,140 Replies
testing