Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

January empties

One of my goals for the month was to finish off things that were half empty in my skincare cupboard.

IMG_7062.JPG

LOVES:

Spoiler
Shiseido Benefiance Eye Masks
A regular use item. Need to remember to use them more often.

Murad Hydro Dynamic Quenching Essence
A great hydrating serum. Already purchased the FS

Odacite Bl+C, Pa+G
Both serums I regularly repurchase.  Bl+C for acne, Pa+G for hyperpigmentation

REN Glycol Lactic Peel
Love this peel but I had gotten distracted by other peels and let it sit for a while.

Farmacy Eye Dew
On my fourth jar of this stuff. I ❤️ this so much!

PMD Microderm Sensitive Disc
I go through one of these or the 'normal' discs a month. Can't complain!

Body Shop Tea Tree Oil
The only version of TTO I've found that doesn't irritate my skin.

Skin Laundry Hydrating Facial Sheet Mask
Received as gratis, this was lovely and quite hydrating.  Still testing the rest, but will have a writeup of my thoughts soon.

MEH:

Spoiler
Dr Jart Watermax Sleeping Mask
Ok, but I didn't like the scent and sometimes it felt a bit too stuffy.

Kate Somerville Eradikate
Works fine but the product dries out quicker than I can use it.

Odacite CaR, Ac+R
Nothing wrong with either of these, but I'm not sure if I'd repurchase.

Alpha H Liquid Gold
Quite a strong peel, perhaps too strong for me.  The pad it came presoaked with was the oddest texture; it had little rubber nubs on one side.

Sunday Riley Flora
I used to love Flora; this was actually my second bottle but at some point last year my skin stopped absorbing it well and so it sat for some time. I used what was left on my décolleté and neck area.

Laura Mercier Infusion de Rose
It's a nice dry style oil but it isn't something I'd repurchase.   

NOPES:

Spoiler
Boscia Purifying Gel
All the nope.  Don't like anything about this.  Smells bad, so slimy.

NIOD Non Acid Acid Precursor
Every time I tried to use this it either gave me a rash or caused a cluster of irritation on my skin.  I finally gave up.

Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos
No matter how slowly I tried to incorporate this into my routine, I could never get to more than 2x/week usage.  It is too strong for my skin, so it took forever for me to finish.

@Mochapj Did you find the texture of the Flora oil changed? The same exact thing happened to me and I'm trying to figure out why this went from amazing to meh all of a sudden?

@laynebr I feel like it may have changed between bottle 1 (finished this time last year) and bottle 2 (above)

Bottle 1 always felt like a dry oil and absorbed instantly.  Bottle 2 did not feel like a dry oil and so I'm not sure if this is because it may not have been fresh (it didn't smell rancid, just like roses and pomegranate) or whether they reformulated it.

It sucks because it used to be one of my favorites.

The exact same thing happened to me as well. I loved bottle 1 and repurchased. I never repurchase oils I was hoping I would finally find my HG oil but no 😞

So many nice skincare items in your bunch.  It's interesting that you noticed a different reaction to your Sunday Riley Flora.  That has only happened to me once with another product and shortly after it was recalled, guess they messed something up on the formula.

My empties from January.

New category called Odi et amo. I hate and I love. Eve Lom morning cleanser. Skin feels amazing, but the smell... I learned to wash my face and do not breathe.

IMG_20170131_163306281.jpg

Loves (some of them I tried before). New discovery - May Lindstrom Clean dirt (full size is on its way).

empties_yes.jpg

Likes (not planning to purchase, but will use if I get a sample)

empties_maybe.jpg

No. I still can`t get Tata Harper thing.

empties_no.jpg

Love your comment about the Eve Lom cleanser. I have the same experience with the Eve Lom Rescue Mask. Does a great job but smells horrendous! I don't even have it on and can smell it! Haha Maybei should breath through my mouth...since I can't hold my breath the whole time the mask is on. Lol

I love the idea of hate and love categories, especially as it relates to smell or texture.  There are so many things that my skin loves, but where I don't care for the smell or texture.  I recently started using May Windstorm The Youth Dew and for a serum/oil it feels so heavy on my skin and the smell was so overpowering (I don't think from added perfume, just the natural ingredients) that it took quite a few uses before I stopped gagging.  But my skin does seem to like it.

Nobody is perfect, even May Lindstrom 🙂

January empties (52)- got through a lot this month! Took lots of foils/DS on vacation earlier in the month, that helped a lot. Then my boyfriend was like, why are you bringing your trash home? hahah

Loves:

JANLOVE.jpg

Spoiler

Sephora Foot mask

Josie maran face butter- used this on my body- argan doesn't do well on my face

NYX studio powder (already repurchased)

Tatcha indigo body butter- there are much more effective ones out there, but I love the scent of this

Tatcha indigo hand cream- same ^

Korres body wash

L'occtaine almond body lotion

beauty blender

Benefit girl meets pearl- tossing b/c it's at least 4 or 5 years old, found at the bottom of a drawer. I have other things like it in my collection now but will consider a repurchase if I run out of everything

Dr Brandt NNM 3D filler

PTR unwrinkle night

PTR unwrinkle turbo DS (not pictured)

Dr. Dennis gross AB peels (not pictured)

Smashbox soft lights blush 

Dr. Jart tiger grass cream

DR. Jart ceramadin cream

Stila tinted moisturizer

Tatcha camilla cleansing oil

Sephora express eye makeup remover wipes

Lancer polish

Farmacy coconut hydrating sheet mask

Crest Whitestrips
Pixi glow tonic to go- my first pixi use, really liked it!

Okays: wouldn't buy but would maybe use, didn't cause any ill side effects.

JANLIKE.jpg

Spoiler

Karuna antioxidant mask- it was okay, the serum left my face feeing SO sticky and had to wash off before completing my routine.

Caudalie micellar water: didn't get everything 

Ouai hair oil- not bad, but not my favorite. Did really like the mild scent.

Orgins plantscriptions eye cream

LP no frizz hair oil- yeah I had frizz. It was okay as an oil but didn't live up to the claims

UP and UP cotton balls- 

Ouai shampoo/conditioner- were okay, not as hydrating as my normal and I have super dry hair, so not for me.

Raico hotel lotion- fine.. not great.

Shisedo sunscreen- worked okay but very thin and dehydrating to my dry skin

MD solar science sunscreen- no issues

Sephora pearl undereye patches- no major improvements

Perricone MD firm serum

Fresh soy cleanser

Guerlain abilie royal night cream- okay, not as hydrating as HG creams for me

IT confidence in a cream- this was fine on my face, not as hydrating as I'd like. since I have lots of HG things for my face, I ended up using as a hand cream.

PTR rose cleanser

PTR irish moor mud cleanser

Tony moly cleanser

Kiehls line reducing concentrate

JANNO.jpg

Spoiler

Tokyomilk lip balm- I LOVE the formula but it is too strongly scented for me

R&CO death valley dry shampoo- okay formula, also a scent thing. I can smell it on myself for at least a couple hours, if not more. I get migraines easily and that just doesn't jive with me. 

UP and UP rounds- scratchy.. ended up using for nail polish only

Drunk elephant framboos- broke out

RMS wipe- came dried out

Ole henriksen- tossing an old jar, but my skin doesn't get along with this anymore

Orbie apres beach- took to the beach, still looked like a hot mess after.. 

Love the BF comment...silly boy. I always forget to save my empties at home so I'm super impressed with your skill!! I had a similar experience with DE Framboos. Irritated itchy skin and I noticed a strange scent the third time I used it. Could it go rancid after being open for only a month?

I'm not sure @petitesweetmom.. Even after the first use I could tell it wasn't for me, and I don't have sensitive skin at all. Could it go bad that quick in the pump?

I thought it was too fast to go bad and I don't have sensitive skin either. Chalking it up to "not for me". Thanks for sharing your empties and review!

So many great empties and the wood in the background is really gorgeous, such lovely grain!  Also impressed you seem to have used up a blush completely.

Thanks! And the blush had to have been 6 or 7 years years old? Thinking about it, kinda gross.. I have another one also on it's last legs! 

I was on a trip this whole month and tried to pack pretty light, so I didn't quite make my goal of 50+ empties every month of 2017...but I got through some foils and DSs!

Loves

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 11.58.22 AM.png

Spoiler
Ole Henriksen PowerPeel - the best facial peel I've ever used, hands down.
Too Faced Better Than Sex - a staple in my collection.
First Aid Beauty Red Clay Deep Cleanser - my skin always looks and feels good when I use this. I used this regularly a few years ago and took a break. After receiving it in my Play box, I rediscovered how well it works for my skin.
Laura Mercier Caviar eyeshadow stick in Rose Gold - this was a surprise love for me. I got this in my Play box a few months back and it turned out to be the perfect shade and consistency for me. It's great for a lowkey look when I need to get ready quickly in the morning, and it makes a really great base for other shadows. Definitely buying the full size of this!

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 11.58.34 AM.png

Spoiler
Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask with Prickly Pear
Sephora Collection Instant Moisture+ Cream
L'Occitane Almond Milk Hand Cream
Cover FX Illuminating primer
Sephora Collection Pomegranate Face Mask
Hask Kalahari Oil Shampoo & Conditioner
Matrix Oil Wonders Volume Rose Shampoo & Conditioner
Living Proof Timeless Shampoo & Conditioner
Rahua Shampoo
Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner
Rita Hazan True Color Shampoo & Conditioner
Sea Rx Microdermabrasion Face & Body Scrub
No. 4 Lumiere d'Hiver Purifying Shampoo
Random hotel makeup remover towelette
Neuma Scalp Therapy Exfoliator
Hempz Color Protect Conditioner
Cane & Austin Miracle Pad 30%

That is awesome that you are setting a goal for yourself to hit every month. Even though you didn't hit it at least you used up products that always feels good.

Exactly.  Plus even if you don't get quite there it keeps the notion of using things up in your mind.  I will admit I went on such a kick of using foils in 2016 for travel that I honestly don't have that many left in my collection.

Thank you! It does feel great to use up samples that are just sitting around. I was getting around 40 a month each month at the end of last year, so I figured I could try to step it up a little this year! As long as I'm using up product, I consider it a win!

50 empties a month... wow what a great goal!  I like the idea of setting a number, but 50 is too many for me, I'm thinking 15 is a realistic goal for the first few months.  I love the BTS mascara too, and recently re discovered the OH power peel-- note-- don't put the peel on and fall asleep on the couch (I have super dry skin this week lol)!

Thanks! I thought 50 a month would be reasonable because that's about how many I was getting each month towards the end of last year. Since I count foils into it, it doesn't seem like as high of a number...if it was all DS or full size products, 50 would be a crazy goal! 15 is definitely a great number to finish a month, products add up quickly!

Falling asleep in a PowerPeel sounds painful - I can't believe your skin made it through! I'm sure it was smooth afterwards - definitely dry too though! It's a great product, but not one to overuse!

8,134 Replies
testing