Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

I didn't even know they had a freestanding store.  That's awesome!  I wish we had one here in Chicago.  I'm just excited when I can go to the little K beauty stores at the HMart.

Another decent month! Got through 42 empties in April...a little short once again of my goal of 50 empties a month. My YTD total now is 156 so I'm feeling very satisfied either way!

Loves

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 4.21.14 PM.png

Spoiler
Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo - good for oily hair, my scalp felt really clean after using
Bumble & Bumble Surf Foam Spray Blow Dry - so great for volume. This is one of the only products I've found that helps me actually get "beachy waves." Bought a full size bottle already
Tarte Brighter Days Highlighting Moisturizer - I'm obsessed with illuminating moisturizers, this one is awesome and is my favorite that I've tried. Really gives a good base glow - it's not subtle, which I love, but isn't for everyone. I also thought it was really moisturizing
Bliss Fabulous Makeup Melt - really liked the gel to oil consistency, great for a first step face wash - really gets almost everything off
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner - a staple for me
Glamglow Glow Starter - really liked this illuminating moisturizer too! Slightly more subtle than the Tarte one. I thought it was slightly less moisturizing than the Tarte as well - I still would consider buying this in the future (although I'm not crazy about the price point lol)
Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara - another staple for me
Dionis Hand creams in Vanilla Bean and Ocean Breeze - staple hand creams. I loved the Vanilla Bean scent, and the Ocean Breeze was nice too.

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 4.21.28 PM.png

Spoiler
It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product
Philosophy Hope in a Jar moisturizer
EOS Delicate Petals body lotion
Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo
Urban Decay Perversion mascara
Ole Henriksen The Clean Truth Cleansing Cloths wipes
Philosophy 3-in-1s in Mint Mojito Cupcake and Blue Hawaiian
Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist
Glamglow DreamDuo
Ralph Lauren Midnight Romance
2x Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
Caolion Blackhead Steam Pore Pack
Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
IPKN New York Radiant Primer
Ole Henriksen Truth Facial Water
The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream
Oribe Apres Beach Wave & Shine Spray
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day dry shampoo
Soap & Glory Flake Away Body Polish
Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Pre-Shampoo Masque
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Night Cap Overnight Perfector
Cane & Austin Miracle Pad
L'Occitane Amande body lotion
Lancome Renergie Lift Multi-Action
Too Faced Hangover RX primer
Philosophy Purity Made Simple facial cleanser
Ole Henriksen Truth Sugar Glow mask
Ole Henriksen Rub N Buff Salt Scrub
Smashbox Photo Finish primer

Dislikes

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 4.21.38 PM.png

Spoiler
Alterna Bamboo Style Mango Coconut dry shampoo - made my hair feel and look greasier than before. The scent is also REALLY strong - it's a nice scent at first, but it was SO strong that it became cloying and headache-y
Clinique High Impact mascara - did nothing for me - saw almost no difference even with multiple coats

Sorry the High Impact mascara didn't work for you. It's one of my favorites.

If I was still young, I'd like the Tarte Highlighting Moisturizer. I tested a little bit on the back of my hand at a store and was like "wow that glittery!" 

I'm not subtle when it comes to highlighters, so the Tarte is right up my alley! I saw a lot of negative reviews when it came out and was hesitant to try. I'm glad I got a sample. I just love a really shiny, glowy base underneath my foundation - but I understand that's not something that most people go for!

Seeing your empties and other posts like it are really motivating for me to use up what I already have, especially in foils and DS! I'm trying to really bring down the stash I have to what I really love in full size and using up the samples is really helping me find what those loves really are!

This is so satisfying to see so many empties @maddieb25. And it is a great motivation for me to work my way through my stash of foils and DS. I've limited myself to one small storage bin worth of samples but now it's full so time to start using them 😅

Lol... I just read that we both had almost the exact same comments!  Great minds!

Yes!! You can do it! 😄 Samples accumulate so fast, using them up finally is SO rewarding!

30 this month; I've hit the DS skincare part of my stash so those take longer to use up to see if they work. I'm just happy those Fresh lip products are out of my life!

april empties.JPG

Loves:

Spoiler

Alterna Caviar Repair Rx Instant Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner -- These smelled so good and left my hair so soft. I might even take a break from my tried and true Nexxus, or at least pepper it into my routine. WP.

Unwash Dry Cleanser -- This worked really well and I loved the smell -- to me it smelled like cucumbers.

Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash -- Staple, already have backup bottles.

Elizabeth and James Nirvana White -- It’s not fruity, it’s not floral, it’s just...really nice. WP.

Spoiler

Marcelle Hydra-C 24H Energizing Hydrating Gel - I liked how lightweight this was and it moisturized well, though it probably would have been better suited for warmer months. I’d consider purchasing it.

Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar Moisturizer -- I’m torn on this because, while I really liked it (very smooth), it made my face super greasy all day long. I think this might have been better for winter when my skin is drier, which is why I put it in the “like” category, but it’s just too much for April. I’d like to try it again next winter.

Mario Bedescu Cucumber Cleansing Lotion -- I don’t use face wash in the morning, and this was a great alternative. It’s on the verge of my love list except I didn’t notice any huge differences with it. WP.

YSL Black Opium -- I loved this at first but I realized it was a bit more sweet than I like. WNP but I can see why people would.

Shiseido Ultimune Eye Power Infusing Concentrate -- This didn’t do much for my under eye circles, but it smelled really nice and made my eye skin really smooth.

Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Eyes -- I used this with the product above and, like I said, didn’t notice a difference with my under eye circles but the consistency was nice and kept my eye skin hydrated and smooth.

Meh:

Spoiler

Peter Thomas Roth 24K Gold Mask Pure Luxury Lift & Firm Mask - I didn’t see much of a difference with this mask, but I did love putting gold all over my face 🙂 WNP.

Origins Modern Friction Instant Brightening Pads -- These were fine, but they didn’t wow me or anything. I must not be the only person that felt that way because Origins discontinued them. WNR even if I could.

It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-in Product -- It made my hair really soft but I hated the smell. WNP.

Ulta Beauty Makeup Removal Facial Towelettes -- They were fine.

Skyn Iceland Icelandic Relief Eye Cream -- I am also using a DS right now (and have been for a few weeks) and do not notice a difference in my undereye circles. Also, the consistency is like lumpy custard, which I kind of hated.

No:

Spoiler

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel -- I kind of hated this and was happy to be rid of it. It smells terrible (I feel like all their products do) and it made my face very red after I used it. I feel like it did smooth out my face when used 1x week so I stuck it out, but I’m sure there are things that are as good or better that I won’t be sad to have to use. WNR.

CLINIQUE Lash Power Flutter-to-Full Mascara -- this flaked all over my face within hours. It was not a good enough mascara to put up with that. WNP.

KORRES Wild Rose + Vitamin C Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial -- This didn’t sink into my skin very well, leaving it sticky. I also really hated the smell. WNP.

Patchology Flashpatch Eye Revive Gels -- These kept sliding down my face. Maybe I need to lay down for them to stay put, but I wanted it to be something I could put on in the morning while I’m getting ready for work. Plus I didn’t notice any difference. WNP.

Evanhealy Wild Carrot Nourishing Eye Balm -- I hated the feeling of this under my eyes, like soft candle wax. It says you can use it anywhere but I didn’t even like the feeling on my lips. (Technically a destash since it’s full size and I only used it once, but I got it in the Whole Foods bag.) WNP.

Stila Lash Stunner Extreme Lash Primer -- I’m not a big fan of eyelash primers, and this was no exception. WNP.

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser -- I hated the consistency and the smell (smelled like boiled parsley to me), and it also didn’t even seem to get my face all that clean/get my makeup off. WNP.

Iles Formula Haute Performance Shampoo and Conditioner -- I feel like I had already tried this before...regardless, this left my hair feeling oily. WNP.

Tarte Lip Scub -- Ouch. This hurt. WNP.

Fresh Sugar Lip Serum Advanced Therapy -- I feel like it made my lips drier. Was not a fan and WNR.

Fresh Sugar Lip Polish -- Didn’t notice any difference. WNR.

Garnier Clean Blackhead Eliminating Scrub -- The tiny exfoliating particles really hurt my face, and I don’t have sensitive skin. Definitely WNP.

Murad Eye Lift Firming Treatment -- I noticed zero difference after 8 uses. WNP.

Destash:

Spoiler

Tarte LipSurgence Lip Cream in Wonder - Nothing against the product itself, I just didn’t like the color on me.

I had a bit of a clean out of various beauty stashes so my empties are a bit of empty and a bit of tossing old stuff. 

I averaged 26 empties over the first three months, April I had 26 empties and 37 items I was purging.  Mays goal is to beat 26!

Loves

IMG_5217.JPG

Spoiler
Im still using up some DDG peel pads, I will actually buy a box someday.  The tient idol will be my next liquid foundation.  The PTR moisturizer was a bit nicer than the tidal for me, I did just purchase SR CEO so I'll likely wait on another purchase for a bit. I really may be a marketers dream because I really liked the cream to liquid consistency.  The Dior balm is a favourite, I'll buy berry next, and soon.  Tons of product under the bullet!

Likes/meh

IMG_5219.JPG

Spoiler
None of these were bad, but nothing wowed me.  I liked the verb and briogio masks, though they seamed more like rich conditioners.  The Amika shampoo was nice too, just not as nice as the alterna or Bumble ones I've been loving. Everything else was just meh, I'd use them but I'm not re purchasing.

Nope

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

Spoiler
Proactive was something I tried and it sort of worked, but I've found other products that work much nicer.  Most of these are pretty full and being tossed from a few years ago.  Elf brush cleaner required a lot of product to work, I like the shea moisture bar I'm using now better. Lipgloss in and tube isn't for me lately, most of these photos are just old unused products.

(I will come back to share thoughts, but need to post and run for now!)

Loves

IMG_0088.JPG

Meh/would try again

IMG_0089.JPG

Dislikes and Random Samples

IMG_0091.JPG

Loves-
IMG_2975.JPG
Likes-
IMG_2976.JPG

Dislikes-
IMG_2979.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

This is a random collection of empties/did not finish.

Top row:

Perricone Not A Lipstick - finished, will not repurchase. Neither balmy/moisturizing nor long lasting. 

Dior Addict 222 Casual Beige - very nice, but I repurchase very few lipsticks. 

Living Proof PHD Shampoo - have already purchased full size. 

Amika Dry Shampoo - have purchased FS, but I'm always looking for the new best thing. 

Burts Bees Body Lotion - nearly unscented, a good base for light fragrance. 

Living Proof Nightcap - I liked this, but it didn't fit well in my daily routine. 

Amika hair mask - smells lovely, felt nice, but not as good for my dry hair as Pureology. 

Urban Decay eye primer - this used to be a favorite, but my skin has changed (much drier) and it was a struggle to use up.

Bottom row:

PTR Instant Firm Eye - oh, I hated this so much. Tight, chalky, and left my face feeling dehydrated. Did not finish. 

Omorovicza Omoressence - the smell didn't appeal to me, but it might be someone else's favorite. 

Fresh Rose Face Mask - I usually love rose anything, but this was so gooey. Nope. 

Living Proof Prime Style Extender - love the scent, and I might purchase the FS after I use up some of my existing products. 

Clarins Eye Concentrate - meh.

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel - this might be wonderful for someone with gentle skin. I need bigger guns.

Laroche Posay Pigmentclar Serum - didn't seem to make any difference in my pigmentation. 

IMG_0614.JPG

I thought I had more empties this month, but I guess I must have a lot of 'almost empties' still.  

Not a lot of winners, but eh, you win some, you lose some.

YESES:

Spoiler
Kevyn Murphy Angel Rinse - not sure how I managed to finish the shampoo in March before finishing the conditioner in April, but I did 😄 It's a lovely conditioner that doesn't leave my hair feeling dry or heavy and works well with my treated hair.

Tata Harper Purifying Mask - this is the 3rd or 4th jar I've finished, so I think it's safe to say I love this stuff. 

Clarisonic Pedi disc - nothing much to report; I go through one of these every few months and they keep the soles of my feet in top form.

Consonant Skincare Hydrextreme - an absolutely worth it hydrating serum. I went through several foils' worth before purchasing a FS, but it's good stuff.

PMD green disc - not much to say here, either. I go through one of these every month.

MEHHHHHHH:

Spoiler
The Body Shop Raspberry Body Butter - it works fine but my husband says it smells like fruit punch and while I disagree, the scent is too strong for my taste

Skin Laundry Foaming Cleanser - I received this as gratis a few months ago and it's ok.  For a foaming cleanser without foaming ingredients it works just fine, but I don't love foamy cleansers, so I probably would not repurchase this.

Graydon Clinical Face Food Mineral Mist - this felt like it did absolutely nothing. Like I could've replaced the contents with plain water and it would've done just as much.  It's only in the meh rather than nope section because it didn't do anything wrong. 

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% Zinc 1% - I still haven't decided how I feel about it/whether I will repurchase.  I felt like while I was using it my skin was less oily throughout the day.  I'm testing a different Niacinamide now and will see how it compares over time.

Dry Bar Triple Sec - I was so conflicted about this. I almost bought a FS during the sale because I love the scent and I love the texture it gives my hair but I find this in no way works as a dry shampoo (it's a 3 in 1) I could only use this on first day hair to give texture/volume; once I use it on second day or beyond hair, it just makes me look too greasy 😞

The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin + HA - I'm still conflicted on whether I would repurchase this as well, but I'm leaning towards probably not. It not only lightened my hyperpigmentation spots, but it also lightened my skintone in general.

Royal Jelly sheet mask - just meh. Wasn't overly hydrating and didn't fit my face well.

NOPENOPENOPES:

Spoiler
Herbivore Blue Tansy - I hate this mask with a passion. Whenever I tried to use it, it felt like it was burning my face.  I resorted to using it on the soles of my feet to finish it up, and for that it was fantastic 😄

Tokyomilk Dark La Vie La Mort - from the notes I thought I would really like this but it was overly floral and way too strong. 

Aromatherapy Associates Support Equilibrium - how such a tiny vial of bath oil could smell SO BAD is beyond me but I had to scrub my tub with bleach several times to get the stench of this out. 

Hi@Mochapj, just wondering what do you like about the Hydrextreme? I tried two samples of it in hopes of the getting rid of my dry patches, but it didn't. I am kind of disappointed considering the price tag. But maybe I expected too much or too soon from a two-ingredients formula. Or I just simply use it wrong?

I highly recommend Drybar detox dry shampoo. I almost always wash my hair on a daily basis even though I have very long hair that takes forever to dry. This is the only one that make my second-day hair look and feel like first-day hair.

@Babypeachist with the Hydrextreme I found it worked well with my oily but often dehydrated skin to keep it feeling plump.

My understanding is it's a plant based version of hyaluronic acid, which is why it's only 2 ingredients.

I applied it to my face first after cleansing and then followed with my serum/oil. I found it was really helpful during the is it/isn't it spring we were having here where all the temperature shifts were making my skin feel super parched and dried out.

I think it works best in conjunction with other products, but I feel that is to be said with most skincare. 

As for the Drybar Detox, thank you for the recommendation.  I sprayed some of it on my hand to test the scent last time I was in store and I didn't love it as much as the scent of Triple Sec, but good to know it works well.  I was a wash every day girl but ever since I started doing more non-conventional hair colours, washing every day isn't feasible since it takes the dye out too fast.

For some reason, I went through more stuff than usual this month! Hooray!

Full Sizes

sephora + pantone universe foiled waterproof eyeliner - rose dawn (I will miss this a lot - it was lovely)

aveda light elements defining whip

yes to cucumbers soothing facial wipes - 10 pack

cerave am facial moisturizing lotion

Deluxe Samples

make up for ever smoky extravagant mascara

lancome bi-facil eye makeup remover (sadly, this was the final bottle of the 5 point perks I had stashed)

peter thomas roth blue marine algae face mask (love it, but not sure I can take the plunge for that price...we'll see)

clinique pep start eye cream

urban decay all-nighter setting spray

glamglow supermud clearing treatment

caudalie vinosource moisturizing sorbet (definitely want the full size of this!)

peter thomas roth rose stem cell gel mask

Samples

urban decay vice lipstick sample in psycho

urban decay all-nighter liquid foundation (bleh, did not like)

garner whole blends illuminating shampoo

hask kalahari melon oil color protection shampoo

IMG_3117.JPG

Spoiler
Meh: middle two rows
Dislikes: very bottom row

Was hoping to go through more than this, but I massively broke out at and my skin is still recovering. I think the culprit is either the REN GLRR mask, the Fresh Vitamin Nectar mask, or the Tarte moisturizer. Or maybe all of those.

Had I known about this string, I would have taken pictures of my empties this year... I finally finished my Bite Agave Lip Mask mini and my full sized Bite Beauty Fiano lipstick, which I even scraped out of the bullet. I am so sad that the Luminous Crème lipsticks aren't around anymore 😞 But I have been very proud of myself because I have been able to use up about 20 Sugar lip balm minis and one full size - scraping them out from the bottom and all. Because I've been trying to use up my lip products before buying new ones, I am a bit too proud of myself for using a few all the way up.

34 this month, lowest so far this year. I did meet my goal from last month of being home for more than half the nights of the month (yay!!) so I didn't use as many foils etc.. 

Loves

April2017loves.jpg

Note: the blush (tarte oasis) was dropped and broke, i didn't finish it 😞 

ok:

April2017ok.jpg

Bobbi brown eye cream was hydrating but nothing incredible.

Body shop scrub was too creamy, not gritty enough for my liking.

No

April2017no:stash.jpg

I wanted to love farmacy sleep tight so much, the smell is so soothing and I really like the texture. It was okay to use sporadically, but with consistent use it clogged up my pores. 

Here are my April empties:

IMG_20170428_2159093.jpg

Loves:

Spoiler
Banana Boat - UVA/UVB Sunscreen SPF 50+
belief - The true cream - moisturizing bomb

Spoiler
Simple - radiance cleansing wipes
eos - lip balm
Harvey Prince - perfumista spray
Urban Decay - Peversion Mascara