Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

@notcreative I'm not sure if this is in your empties but I know you love it because I saw your blog post & I didn't know where else to ask this...

You have me so tempted to try the Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter in Apple Crisp but I was going to buy the Whish body butter sampler from Ulta. I don't want to buy both - have you ever tried the Whish body butters or do you stick to the shave cream? Thanks!

The Josie Maran is not in my empties, because I bought it toward the end of August. A little goes a really long way, too. I have Whish Body Butters, but I have not used them yet. I am on my way to take a shower now. If you want to give me a few hours to report back, I can use one today and report back.

Oh my gosh, you are so sweet! No, that's ok...I'm really leaning toward the Josie Maran. I actually tried a bit of the Whish almond one in the store the other day and it was fine but nothing spectacular, I just wanted to see if you had any experience with them. The texture of the Josie Maran sounds more appealing to me. Thanks, I always appreciate hearing your opinions!

I never mind having multiple body or hand moisturizers open, because I go through a lot. And, you're too late. I already used it after my shower. I went up and showered right after I commented. 

First impression on Whish (I used the lavender scent). It smells incredible. The scent is very lavender, but not overpowering. It smells like baby powder mixed with lavender, actually. The cream is not as thick as I thought it would be, but it is still medium-to-thick density. The Josie Maran has a similar density, but it almost looks more liquid like (probably from the oils). It rubs in a lot easier than thicker creams, although not quite as easy as the Josie Maran. My skin did feel instantly moisturized, but I did not get that immediate wow feeling I got from Josie Maran. 

The pump on the Whish Body Cream clogged once, so the cream may be a little too thick for it. I know from dealing with their shaving creams that they design their pumps to get every bit out. I have no doubt I will be able to get all the cream out of this, even if it clogs at times.

If I remember, I will report back tomorrow, because the 24 hour point (this will actually wear slightly less than 24 hours because I am attending the Rouge event tomorrow morning) is the best time to measure wear. 

Based on immediate results, I'd give the edge to Josie Maran. 

I almost used the almond one, but I decided lavender was the way to go for today. Had I seen your comment before hand, I would have used almond. 

Thank you!

Funny you mention the pump clogging - the tester at Ulta was clogged at first, too.

I didn't love the almond scent as much as I wanted to, so that was kind of a bummer. But like I said, the body butter itself was fine. I think I expected something amazing because of the reviews I read. 

I have the Josie Maran one in my cart :). Plus I realized I never used my 10% VIB discount, so I'm using that today.

Thanks again for the detailed review!

Great empties and that's so fun about being able to test a 'mystery product.'  I've done a couple of those type of things through L'Oreal and I really enjoy it.

I did a face cream for L'Oreal in August. It will never make an empties article, because it made my face itch. Unlike the PC Choice product I convinced my husband to try, he would not even try the L'Oreal one. Smells too girly for him.

That sucks that it made your face itch.  Yuck.

So many empties! I appreciate your thorough reviews. 🙂

I am trying the Whish shaving cream thanks to your glowing review 🙂

Yay. I hope you love it as much as I do. I was going to purchase a replacement soon. My husband came home from Whole foods recently with what he thought was a hand cream. It is shaving cream. It has soy, so he refuses to use it. Guess I am trying a new shaving cream once I use the new one I recently opened.

Thanks - me, too! I just ordered it from Ulta this morning because they are buy one get one 50% off.

Haha well maybe that one will become a new love!

I cannot take advantage of that sale right now thanks to my husband's blunder, but I will definitely stock up if they do it again.

Spoiler

Willing to Try Again

Benefit Refined Finish Facial Polish- I used to love this, so I even repurchased it. As I tried more products, I realized I prefer physical exfoliants with really fine exfoliation ingredients. The exfoliant beads in this are not as fine as I like. My skin does feel soft and smooth after I use this, so it still works well. It is just that products with smaller beads seem to leave my skin as soft and smooth with less redness. If you like a thicker bead, you may want to try this.

Lancome Tonique Douceur- I actually liked this, but I prefer Lancome Tonique Confort. The funny thing is I always assumed I used more of the other one than I needed, because it is a lot more dense. Since this one went a lot faster, I assume the density of the other one prevents me from dispensing too much at once. This one comes out of the container so easily that I use more of it than I need with almost every application. My skin does feel somewhat replenished and moisturized, so it does what it needs to do. If I got samples of this, I would use it again. If I was selecting one to buy for my dry skin, I am going with Confort.

Schick Quattro Razor- This razor gives a close shave and rarely cuts me. I prefer the Hydro Silk from the same brand, so I will not purchase this again. If it makes it to me another way, I'd use it. The handle was getting kind of old, and I did not feel like buying any replacement blades.

Schick Quattro Disposable Razor Blade- This razor gives a close shave and rarely cuts me. I prefer the Hydro Silk from the same brand, so I will not purchase this again. If it makes it to me another way, I'd use it.

Ahava Purifying Mud Mask- I am not certain this does a lot for my skin, so I would not purchase. It does not harm my skin, so I would use it again. This is one of the few mud masks where my skin actually feels softer after I remove it. That is likely because it never dries in the two minutes recommend to leave it on.

boscia Luminizing Black Mask- I did not notice much difference in my skin after removing this, but I find peel off masks oddly appealing. This one is actually painful to remove though. Even though I was really careful and removed this from hair and brows, it attaches to the peach fuzz on my face. The only way I'd use this again is if I receive another one in a set, because other peel off masks work better.

Origins Active Charcoal Mask- I wanted to try this for so long, but I did not notice much of a difference. My skin did feel a little softer, but I've felt softer skin after removing other masks. There was only enough in this sample to use once on me and once on my husband, so I am not giving up yet. If I receive another sample, I will try this for longer.

Goldfaden MD Skincare Wake Up Call- This was my second time trying this mini sample. It does penetrate deeply to leave my skin feeling soft, but I've tried others that work better. I've never used a big enough sample to see if there are any long-term effects.

Dr Dennis Gross dark spot sun defense- I finished a sample of this after our June trip and was very disappointed. My skin burned, and the one thing I expect from sunscreen is to prevent my skin from burning. Reluctantly, I gave it another chance with our August trip. After walking away with skin that did not burn, it is possible the burning from our June trip was a fluke. Thankfully, I have a third sample of this to break the tie and give me a chance to make the final decision on whether I love this. It goes on thin and spreads easily. There is not an overwhelming sunscreen scent, which I like. I have not used it enough to say it defends against dark spots, but short of using this for a long time and getting dark spots, I cannot decide how I would even test this product.

Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo- This is an okay product courtesy of the Double Tree Hilton. It does not do much for my frizz, and I prefer more lather.

Dr. Brandt Skincare MAGNETIGHT Age-Defier™- After seeing this mask in action on Youtube, I really wanted to try it. The magnet really does lift this mask right off the skin if the magnet gets close enough. It has a really strong bond. You have to replace the tissue at least 4-5 times, because the magnet stops pulling if it gets too full. Removing the tissue is difficult, because the product wants to hang on tightly to the magnet (even through the tissue). Some of the product seems to break through the tissue and attracts to the magnet anyway and removing the product from the magnet is extremely hard. My favorite part is there is no rinsing to remove this. Once you remove the mask with the magnet, you work the leftover oils into the skin. My husband did not need any extra moisture and still reported having really soft skin after his came off. I needed to add a moisturizer on top of the oils, because my skin started to feel dry and tight around the 30 minute mark. It was really fun to play with, and the magnet removed the product easier from my skin than my husband's for some reason. Neither of us are sure we noticed a difference in our skin, so I am not sure if this removes any deep down dirt and gunk as it should.

Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips- After my husband had such luck with the Sephora strip, I wanted to try the Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips. I purchased those in store. Well, I thought I purchased those in store. When I opened them to try them out, the box was empty. When I went to actually retrieve the strips I paid for, they were all out of stock. We've used these in the past, and I remembered they worked. Instead of walking out empty-handed, I decided to get these again. They still work, but my husband and I both experienced itching after removing them. His itching was worse than mine, so we both washed our faces again after five minutes of itching. After washing what I assume was the residue off, his face stopped itching completely. My face still itched a little, but it was greatly reduced. We will finish the box I purchased (washing before and after using them), but I will not purchase them again. If they make it to me another way, I'd use them again though.

Origins Smarty Plants™ CC SPF 20 Skin Complexion Corrector- This light to medium color matches my coloring nicely. It felt great and set nicely. The formula did not event highlight my pores as much as it did the last time I wore it. I like the very natural look it gave.

Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel for Body- I really thought I would love this based on how much I love the face version. This lacks the magic of the face version. It takes a lot more product to get a similar result. That is really frustrating when the product is already expensive. The sample was only half an ounce, and it was not even enough to exfoliate my whole body. There is also not a lot of room for error, because I had to apply it twice to my left arm to get it to work. My arm was either too wet or too dry the first time I applied it.

Ponds Cleansing Towelettes- I definitely liked these better than the Ponds Original Fresh Wipes, but I did not like those at all. These have the same weird cutouts. They are probably there for a reason, but they just keep the product from picking up makeup in places with the gaps. That means I am rubbing more and harder than I should to make sure I cover every part of my face. After using these, the micellar water still removed more makeup. Although I always use micellar water at home after a makeup removing wipe, I expect the pad to come up clean. If it does not, I will not consider repurcashing those wipes.

Ahava Beauty Before Age Uplift Night Cream is very rich. It is a thick, moisturizing cream, which I love in my night creams. There was enough in this 0.1oz foil for two uses. This has a strong fragrance, but I find it slightly more pleasant than the signature fragrance of the items in the dead sea line. I also think the fragrance in the night cream is not as strong as the day cream. The sample was too small for me to notice any real benefits, but I know my skin likes it and absorbs the moisture in the cream. My skin feels extremely soft and comfortable with this.

Ahava Beauty Before Age Uplift Day Cream is very rich. It is a thick, moisturizing cream, so I think this would make a great winter treatment when my skin thirsts for a really thick cream. I use a lot of face cream per use, because I always work it into my neck and decollete (unless I happen to have a separate neck cream open at the time). This 0.1oz sample was not enough for two uses. It gave me enough coverage for everywhere I apply it the first time, but I was only able to apply it directly to my face the second time. There is a strong fragrance in this, but I find it slightly more pleasant than the signature fragrance of the items in the dead sea line. The sample was too small for me to notice any real benefits, but I know my skin likes it and absorbs the moisture in the cream. My skin feels extremely soft and comfortable with this.

Not For Me

empty-ole-henriksen

Ole Henriksen Total Truth Eye Cream- I love so many products from the Truth line, but this was my exception. It provided the moisture I need for my under eyes and did so in a lovely matte way. The problem is the SPF in this product makes my eyes burn and water. Before giving up on it, I tried to change the way I applied it by moving it down a little further, keeping it completely off my brow bone and more. Somehow, it always found a way back into my eyes. It is summer, so it is possible it could work in winter when I am not sweating outside. If your eyes are sensitive to sunscreen, you should try this. I am still on the search for a great eye cream or sunscreen I can put near my eyes, because they need protection, too.

Paula's Choice Mystery Product X- I tested this product for Paula's Choice and am not allowed to talk about what it is, but it makes my skin burn. It is one of the most painful things I've ever tried. If I knew the name of the product, I'd avoid it. My husband finished this, and it did not burn his skin at all. That obviously means I am allergic to it. His skin is not as sensitive as mine, so I knew it was safe to try this on him.

Giovanni Bathe Moisturizing Body Bar Cucumber Song- I never expect much from hotel soaps. This was one of the worst ones I've ever tried though. It left a really thick film on my skin. Most hotels have a water softening system, and although I am unsure the Double Tree we stayed at did, I know that soaps that do not leave a film on my skin at the hotel do at my house. The film was so thick that I did not even take the extra ones housekeeping gave us. Someone else can have them.

Giovanni Gently Cleanse Facial Bar Cucumber Song- I never expect much from hotel soaps. This was one of the worst ones I've ever tried though. It left a really thick film on my skin. Most hotels have a water softening system, and although I am unsure the Double Tree we stayed at did, I know that soaps that do not leave a film on my skin at the hotel do at my house. The film was so thick that I did not even take the extra ones housekeeping gave us. Someone else can have them.

Julep Nail Wipes- This is terrible. I went to a Julep event and messed up my swatches, so I reluctantly used this. One side of each pad does not really work at all. It is small. If you’re wearing a dark color, you will need at least 3 to remove your polish. Even then, you will need a Q-Tip to clean up. I’ve used nail wipes where one or two cleans everything with no Q-Tips needed. I will never buy these again, but I will use them if they come in one of Julep’s awesome kits.

@notcreative Will you find out what the paula's choice was at the end of the trial?

I know the type of product, but I will never know the name of product. I cannot disclose what type of product I test for them, but I can drop some serious hints. My husband only joined me with one type of product this month.

I really loved one and hated the other, so I will never buy this specific product without getting a sample first. Thankfully, they sell foil packets. Although I hate the idea of buying foils, I can always add 3 foils with any purchase to figure it out.

Copy!  😉 

Very interesting and thorough reviews. I'm envious that you are able to try so many products at one time (or empty them out anyway)!

I was working on some of these full-size items for a long time. It is just a coincidence that I finished so many this month. Samples are easy to use up. My trick is never to start more than one new product (of any kind) at a time. I need to know what I am reacting to if I get a rash or hives.

image.jpeg

My first empties post! These are products I finished during the month of August, minus some shampoo and body wash my boyfriend threw in recycling when I wasn't paying attention haha.

Have or or plan to repurchase:

Lush R&B hair moisturizer - this has been my saving grace during the humid midwest summers. The SA gave me a super generous sample that lasted me over a month, when I finally finished it, I went right down and purchased the full size. 

TonyMoly Mud Sheet - my skin looked so bright and felt so soft for days after using this. It also calmed down some angry hormonal acne on my chin. 

Kate Somerville Exfolikate - I really really want to get the full size, but I have some other products I need to finish before I can justify the cash 

KVD Tattoo Liner - My daily eyeliner, I don't know what I'd do without it. 

Ok/ Might repurchase:

GlamGlow Gravitymud - ok, I really did like what this did for me skin. BUT the price is not attractive to me at this point in time. 

Atelier Cologne Mandarine Glaciale - again, I enjoyed it but I have other fragrances I would reach for first. I still have a few samples

of this, I'll decide by the time I finish those if I'll be repurchasing. 

Tony Moly Panda eye patch - meh, it was ok. But the patches kept sliding down into my eyes 😞

Pure Smile Rose sheet mask - pretty moisturizing, and super cheap! They're like $1.50 per mask 

Lush Silky UnderWear dusting powder - I liked the idea, but it got everywhereeee that it wasn't supposed to go. 

Not a fan/ will not repurchase:

cover girl loose powder - I've had this forever and was just trying to use it up so I could move on

Dr Jart water replenishment- maybe it's because it got lost at the bottom of my sheet mask stash forever, but this just did nothing for me

Pure Smile Strawberry sheet mask- smelled awful 

Caudalie Vinexpert day fluid - sadly broke me out, just like about 50% of caudalies products that I've tried. 

I feel the same way about Silky underwear, its a mess. I love the scent and all but I had it on my black carpets 😞 

1 Reply
testing