Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

June 2016 Empties

My biggest month of empties so far this year, yayyy ! Quite happy that I won't have to bring all that stuff back home in my suitcases. 

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

Love

Spoiler

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask Green Tea x 2 : One of my favorite sheet masks. It is awesome for when you feel tired. It also helps controlling oily skin without being too drying. * Have 3 backups left, will buy again when I’m back home.

The Face Shop Firming MasCream Sheet : I didn’t really care about the firming effect in the first place, however I did notice a difference. Would be a great mask for anyone who needs hydratation and some firming. It calmed my irritated skin and reduced redness. The product sinks in really quick and does not leave my skin oily. * Have 2 backups left and would repurchase later.

Garnier SkinActive Micellar Water All-In-1 Cleansing Water : Used as a replacement for Bioderma and I was not disappointed. It worked even better to remove mascara and didn’t sting my eyes. * Already have backups and will keep on repurchasing in the future.

Quo Luxury Square Cotton Pads : I really enjoyed using the square cotton pads to remove my makeup ! It was the perfect size and didn’t leave any plush residue on my face. It was also thick enough. Moreover these are often on sale at the drug store. * Will totally repurchase when I’m back in Canada.

Kirkland Baby Wipes Ultra Soft : These wipes are an extremely good deal at Costco. They stay very moist and the package has a plastic closure. Wonderful wipes to clean your makeup items and to remove makeup swatches. It did not irritate my skin after using it. * Have many backups at home (came in a box with 10 x 100 wipes I believe) but will repurchase in the future for sure.

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask Rice : Best sheet mask I’ve found to brighten up my skin. It does help with dark circles and the results are long lasting on my skin. The mask fits my eye area really well and the serum doesn’t make my eyes sting. * Have some backups left. Will repurchase it when I’m back in Canada.

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask Lemon : Another awesome mask to brighten up skin. My skin also feels very moisturized after using. I like the smell of it and my skin feels relaxed after using it. * Have a few backups left, will buy again when I’m back in Canada.

Bath & Body Works White Tea & Ginger Shea & Vitamin E Shower Gel : Beautiful smell ! I really like the Bath & Body Works shower gels since a little goes a long way and it’s very foamy. The smell lasted a long time on my skin and the gel didn’t dry out my skin. * Would repurchase this exact scent if it’s out at the next semi annual sale in December. Meanwhile I need to shrink my shower gels stash.

The Face Shop Moisture MasCream Sheet : I really like to use this sheet mask when my skin feels irritated. The serum absorbs quickly into my skin and calm it right away. It gives some extra moisture in a few minutes and it diminishes redness. The mask is soaked with serum and you can totally use the remaining after. * Have 2 backups left and will repurchase when I’m back in Canada.

Avon OnDuty 24 Hours Unscented Roll-On Anti-Perspirant Deodorant Lotion : This is my favorite deodorant roll-on product that I’ve ever tried. It does always leave my armpits totally dry and scent free. Does not dry up my underarms. Also, this is regularly on sale in the Avon catalog, making it super affordable. * Have a few backups of the scented ones, will repurchase the unscented one later on.

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Shampoo : Made the color of my hair look deeper than usual after one single use. My hair did not get oily nearly as fast as before after using this shampoo. It also left my hair looking healthy and shiny. Finally, it did not stain my shower and my hands. * I will repurchase when I’m back in Canada.

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask Green Tea : Awesome mask to use when you feel tired. It makes my skin feels rejuvenated and I found out that it helps controlling oily skin without drying it out. The smell is pleasant and the Real Nature sheet masks are a good fit for my eye area. * Have a few backups left, will buy again when I’m back in Canada.

Nest Dahlia & Vines Rollerball : Discovered this smell in a Black Friday kit and was surprised at how great it is ! Very unique and works wonderfully with my skin’s chemistry. It was also very long lasting and a not too overwhelming floral smell. * Would totally repurchase in the future. Will ask the full size bottle for Christmas.

Spoiler

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask Varech : Not the most incredible results, however it did make my skin feel extremely refreshed and soft, as advertised. It did not irritate my skin and did not leave it oily either after using it. * Would repurchase if available during the frequent sheet masks promotions at my local The Face Shop store.

The Body Shop Blueberry Shower Gel : I wasn’t sure about the smell of it at first but it grew on me. It was nice for relaxing at night time. It was moisturizing and did not dry my skin out. However, the smell did not linger at all on my skin. The bottle also make it a bit hard to squeeze everything out toward the end. * Probably would not repurchase this exact smell, but will try other The Body Shop shower gels.

Personnelle Cosmetics Precision Cosmetic Sponge : Excellent makeup sponge for the under eyes area. It did apply my makeup really well. It was however a bit hard to clean after using it at times. Very resistant and would last a long time. Another positive aspect is the cheap price of it. * Will probably repurchase in the future, but I want to try other brands too.

Sephora Anti-Fatigue & Energizing Pomegranate Eye Mask : It did reduce the signs of fatigue. It was also moisturizing but not as much as I expected it to be. It did feel energizing however. For the price tag, I much prefer the rose one. * Would maybe repurchase it during a sale, but not at full price.

Sephora Collection Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer : This was a perfect color match for my skin. The product is a bit thicker than what I like for concealers, but I got used to the formulation after a few uses. I felt that I had to be careful or else my face would look cakey. However I liked the price tag, since it’s the cheapest option for my Color IQ matches. It’s just too bad that it’s always out of stock online. * Already repurchased 2 backups.

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask Pomegranate : This mask does not exactly target my skin type, however I got free ones during a promotion at my local store. It did leave my skin feeling and looking good. I would have to use it more often to notice if it has any anti-aging properties as it claims. * I have two backups to use and will probably buy it again in the future.

Lancôme Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover (Sample) : This is fantastic at removing makeup. However, I find the product to be a bit too oily for everyday use and more suitable to remove heavier makeup. The full size is quite expensive but I appreciate that it’s so easy to get the travel size product in the Lancôme GWP. * Will probably not purchase a full size, but will keep using the free travel sizes.

Meh

Spoiler

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask Mung Bean : Didn’t help with breakups at all and I saw no differences after using it. Didn’t help with oily skin. The positive point is that it did not irritate my skin. * Have one backup left and won’t repurchase in the future.

Bath & Body Works Magnolias & Mimosas Deep Cleansing Hand Soap : I’m not a fan of the Bath & Body Works Deep Cleansing Hand Soaps since they make my hands super dry at times. This one was no exception and it took a while for my hands to recover. It’s also quite hard to use the product until the last drop. Really enjoyed the smell though ! * Would repurchase the same smell, but in the foaming hand soap formulation.

Sephora Nourishing & Repairing Avocado Eye Mask : This did moisturize my undereyes, but it didn’t show any significant results. It was just ok, but it wasn’t worth the price in my opinion. * Won’t repurchase this one particular eye mask in the future.

Nope

Spoiler

Life Brand Short Hair Wax Strips : This did work great to remove hair, however it burned my underarms’ skin. I guess it was a bit too harsh for sensible skin. I wasn’t a fan of the towelettes that came with the kit either. * Would not repurchase in the future

Ebelin Professional Präzisions Make Up Blender : That was actually a fail … I’m not sure what happened, but after not even two weeks of use it started to « rot ». I was cleaning it after every single use as well as keeping it in a clean area and it started to get green patches. Also, it didn’t apply concealer very well. * Won’t repurchase it, had to throw it out after not even two weeks. 

Love seeing all those masks.

You could say that they are pretty addictive 🙂 

I am looking to try some other brands too, but I have been so satisfied with The Face Shop ones so far that I don't feel the need to switch up things too much. 

@emiie I am convinced my skin is never different when I use a sheet mask but clearly you must be seeing some results! Is there a secret to using them that I am missing?!?!

@JoannaMarieC

Sorry I forgot to answer you ! I tried quite some brands and sometimes I see no noticeable results. I guess I just got lucky with The Face Shop ones.

I also find the brightening one to provide the best results for my skin 🙂 Usually I leave the mask longer on my skin than what the package says. Ideally I leave it there until most of the serum soaked into my skin. 

Anonymous Insider

Loved

image.jpeg

Liked

image.jpeg

Nope

image.jpeg

Empties June 2016.jpg

Empties June 2016 2.jpg

Spoiler

Loved

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream- This is a moisturizing cream that penetrates deeply and rubs in smoothly, because it is not as thick as some others. If I am looking for intense moisture, I will stick with Eucerin, but I will use this when I want something that moisturizes very well and works into the skin quickly.

Dial Spring Water Antibacterial Body Wash- I use this on my hands only in the shower. The smell is nice, and I like the price. There are certain times where nothing short of antibacterial will work for my hands. This or any other antibacterial will never touch any other part of my body.

The Face Shop Konjac Cleansing Sponge- While not my favorite Konjac sponge, I really love this as well. It is soft (when soaked) and exfoliates gently. It hardens if I skip a day like my Julep ones. The only thing that keeps this from being a FabuFind is the circular shape is not idea for parts of my face where circles do not easily fit. I also wish it softened a little faster. If I wet it at the beginning of my shower, it is still semi-hard by the end when I need it.

Juara Coconut IllipeHand & Nail Balm- I really love the consistency of this. It feels silky and smells great. My hands maintained the silky soft feeling until the next wash.

h2o+ Targeted Care softening mint Foot Rub- This is still a FabuFind. It is very soothing on tired feet. When your feet are not overly tired, you may not notice the mint at work. I prefer something a little thicker for moisturizing, but this is my go to (within foot creams) for relaxation.

L'Oreal Revitalift Volume Filler Serum- I received this from SheSpeaks in exchange for a review. By the time I had to publish the review, I gave it 3 stars. From the beginning, I could tell it was temporarily filling in lines. When I used it, they looked less deep. If I skipped a day, they returned. My problem was I kept getting a slight tingling making me think I was allergic. After a full-blown allergic reaction, I gave this product a break for a while. Turns out, this was not the culprit. Once I started using this again with other products, the tingling stopped. It temporarily fills lines, so I would give this 4 stars today. This falls short of 5 stars or FabuFind status, but barely on both accounts. For the price, this is an excellent temporary line filler.

Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter Body Butter- This is a moderately thick cream that does moisturize. I love the scent. My husband really dislikes the scent on this more than he dislikes the h2o+ hand cream I love so much. Since there are better moisturizers on the market, I will limit how often I buy this lovely scent.

Sephora Collection Hair Ties- I love everything about these hair ties when they're new. They fit beautifully on my wrist without sucking the life out of it or falling off. Whether on my hair or my wrist, I like that they look somewhat fashionable. It does not look like I am wearing a boring hair tie. A new one wraps around my hair perfectly. In 3 twists, it keeps everything in pace without being too tight or too loose. As time wears on, these stretch out and get to this awkward phase where I cannot wear them on my wrist or my hair. Thankfully, they are cheap (especially since I always wait for a sale to stock up), so it does not cost much to replace them. Most last at least 6 months or so (longer if used less often).

L. Erickson Grab & Go Ponytail Holder- This is a tighter ponytail holder, so it takes a while to break new ones in. For the first few weeks, they leave marks on my wrist and feel too tight in my hair. Neither are unbearable, so I am able to push through to the comfortable stage which lasts a long time. It does not look anywhere near as pretty on my first as the Sephora Hair ties, but it is my preferred tie for a bun. My hair does not fall (other than the weird short pieces). I was lucky enough to get 3 of these from Birchbox last June and this is the first one I've had to toss.

L'Occitane Shea Hand Cream- This is still a FabuFind. It is deeply moisturizing, not greasy, and smells decent. If the smell was a little nicer, it would probably be my favorite ever, because I love the way it feels on my hands.

Egyptian Magic- This is still a FabuFind and the product I loved enough to dedicate an article to. I received this mini in my June 2014 Birchbox. It really is the best sample I've ever received in a subscription box. We travel with this mini and after refilling and using all of it for our June 2016 trip, I decided to toss the container instead of refilling it again. In retrospect, I should have just washed it and used it again, because my portable containers are clear. Having this in a solid white jar helped the product stay in its natural state. It is not as solid in the clear container I moved the travel amount into when we got home. If you ever get your hand on this container, do not toss it.

AHAVA Mineral Body Lotion- This is a medium density lotion, but it moisturizes extremely well. The scent is not my favorite, but it luckily fades.

Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer- This is one of my favorite primers, because it fills in everything and leaves my skin with a silk effect. I actually have another I prefer, but it is harder to find travel sized samples of that one. When I see this sample available, I order it.

Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Head- This is still a FabuFind. Nothing, other than my hygienist herself, cleans my teeth as well as my Philips Sonicare toothbrush, so I will always buy these.

Pond's Luminous Finish BB Plus Cream with SPF 15- This adjusted perfectly to my skin color, and disappeared into my skin. I could barely tell I was wearing anything. That is typically what I look for in BB cream, so this was a great one.

Willing to Try Again

Up & Up Regular Cotton Rounds- These work fine. They are nowhere near the best, but they are not the worst either. These mostly stay together, which I appreciate. I think it's a little rough at times, but they are fine when they have less hard pieces of cotton (common in cheaper cotton). If I want to save a little, these are the best I've tried in the low price-point.

Up & Up makeup remover cleansing towelettes- These were not as great as I'd like. I've gotten into the habit of cleansing really well, even when I use "cheat products." After using this, I notice my cotton rounds with other products still pick up product they left. The reason I'd use them again is they felt fine on my skin, and I wash thoroughly anyway. Everything these leave behind will get obliterated with my routine.

Dr. Dennis Gross Dark Spot Sun Defense- I've got dark spots on my face, so I wanted to love this. It goes on yellow with its medium density cream that does not smell too much like sunscreen. The problem is my skin burned. I have another one of these, so I will try it again. If I burn again, it is not for me.

Ulta Eucalyptus Mint Moisture Cleanse Hand Soap- I love everything about this other than the scent. It is not bad, but both the eucalyptus and the mint come through strongly. This leaves my skin feeling extremely clean, I love the lather. There was one time while using this where I did not immediately moisturize, and I could tolerate it. Most washes make me want to climb the wall when I cannot moisturize upon drying.

Peter Thomas Roth Massage Bar- This bar from the Hilton is a typical soap. It leaves a slight film on my skin. I’d use it again, but I would not buy it.

Simple Protecting Light Moisturizer SPF 15- This is a moderately thick cream that moisturizes well and provides a little sunscreen. The price is incredible, especially given the size. It took us a long time to use this. I did not use this often. My skin is again, so I want advanced moisturizers with lots of goodies. For my boys, this is perfect. It does not aggravate their sensitive skin and moisturizes them well (when they apply it all over). This is a really great, no frills product if all you want is moisturizer with a little SPF. I want a little more, so I will and have used this occasionally.

Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Shampoo- I do like this a little better than the conditioner, but it is nothing I'd buy either. The lather is on the weaker side, so I have to scrub hard to cleanse. That gives me more tangles and frizz. It is not too unsightly.

Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Conditioner- This conditioner, courtesy of the Hilton, is nothing special. It is a little thin as conditioners go.

Kiko Milano hand&foot stone scrub- I would not have purchased this if I knew my skin should be dry to use it. It is easier to exfoliate in the shower. While this does work on somewhat wet skin, it does work better the two times I actually used it on dry skin. Of the full-size product, I only used it as intended twice. That is why I would not buy this again. If it made it to me somehow, I would use it again. This does exfoliate decently on damp skin and well on dry skin.

L'Oreal Total Repair Extreme Reconstructing Shampoo- After using a full-sized bottle, I can say with certainty that I did not see any improvement in my hair from start to finish, so I doubt it does any reconstructing. It does cleanse well and rinse extremely clean. My hair does look less frizzy than it does with some products.

Living Proof Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 Styling Treatment- The sample was small, so I will try this again with the deluxe sample I have. From the foil, I am not overly impressed. It definitely makes my hair look better than using nothing at all, but I am not sure it does any of the 5 things it should do very well, except adding volume. My hair does not look smooth or polished, and I need more time to see if it strengthens or conditions. I will always use a separate leave-in, so it is okay if it falls short on the conditioning as long as it does at least 2-3 of the other things it promises well.

boscia B.B. Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 27- The finish on this is nice. It melts into the skin beautifully and provides a bit more coverage than the average BB cream. There is not a heavy SPF smell or feeling. My problem is it is too dark. This is the natural finish, which is the only shade I've seen. While it does go on dark and come down a little, it never settles perfectly into my color leading me to believe this could not work at all on fair skin. On my light skin, it barely works.

Schick Quattro Razor- This usually works well, although I prefer the Hydro Silk. I am extremely disappointed in this particular blade though. It was dull from the first (and last thanks for poor performance) use. After using many of these, I am sure this was a fluke. As soon as they're gone, I will only use the Hydro Silk razors though (my plan even before I used this dud).

Supergoop! Sun-Defying Sunscreen Oil- This smells heavenly, not like sunscreen at all. It leaves my skin dewy and feeling moisturized. My problem is I burned. The sun was really hot, so I want to see if it was a bad product or bad luck. If I get another sample, I will try it again.

Coola Makeup Setting Spray- This had potential for greatness. A setting spray that adds SPF seems perfect for days where I brave wearing makeup in the heat. Like sunscreen, this burns my eyes when it gets inside. I can block my eyes, but then none of the areas that need setting spray most get it. It is important my setting spray can go over my eyes, so I may have to avoid ones with SPF. When the sample was more than half full, it also stopped spraying. That meant I only had two full uses where it sprayed. Thankfully, I had a second sample and was able to pour the waste into that one. The second one is still spraying, so I hope it does not happen again. If more samples come my way, I will use them.

ACT Advanced Care Mouthwash- It burns a lot less than my usual Listerine. I am unsure if the burning means it is removing more germs or not. As such, I am unsure what I think of this. Listerine supposedly removes the most germs, but I have no clue if that’s true or if they have clever marketing people. The taste of this is fine, so I would certainly use it again. Both this and my usual mouthwash give me fresh breath.

Coola Radical Recovery After Sun Lotion- This definitely works. I apply it after a sunburn, and it seems to soothe a little. It also moisturizes to assist the sunburned skin from drying out too much. Much cheaper products do the same thing, so I am not sure this is worth it. After I use the rest of my samples, I will decide if it is worth purchasing.

h2o+ Grapefruit Bergamot Conditioner- The conditioner is probably the best item from this line if I had to pick. It is nothing I would go out of my way to purchase. I like the scent and it conditions even though it is on the thin side. Plus, I love the scent that reminds me of Disney.

LA FRESH Waterproof Makeup Remover- This seemed to do a nice job removing makeup, but I cannot remember much else about it. I need to try it again to make a better decision.

Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm- This was a generous sample, but I am unsure how I feel about it. I've read that a lot of people get allergic reactions to this, so I decided to open my foil before the deluxe. It is fine on my sensitive skin, and moisturizes well enough. Once I try the deluxe sample, I will see what else it can do.

VERB Leave-in Mist- I was only able to get 2 uses out of this, and neither of those uses were enough to make the purchase decision. It seems like it works. My hair did seem to detangle nicely, but I used this while traveling. How much of that can I accredit to this or the water at the hotel. Who knows? If I can get another sample of this, I will try it at home. Although, it is so nice to have portable products like this for trips.

Omni Resorts Bath Soap Enriched with Ginseng Extracts- I am not a huge fan of bar soap, but this one did cleanse and rinse clean. Most leave a sticky film on my skin. In order to decide if it is a great soap, I need to use it at home first with my water. The water at the Omni may be treated, but mine is not.

Eucerin Skin Calming Daily Moisturizing Cream- I am a huge Eucerin fan. This specific product is very cheap, so I use it as an add on at both Ulta and Drugstore.com when I need to get over a shipping minimum. It is a little thin compared to the rest of the Eucerin line. Short of needing something cheap to throw into an order, I would not buy this.

Not For Me

Julep One-Step Polish Remover Pad- This is not as terrible as it once was, but it is still bad. One side of each pad does not really work at all. They’re small. If you’re wearing a dark color, you will need at least 3 to remove your polish. Even then, you will need a Q-Tip to clean up. I’ve used nail wipes where one or two cleans everything with no Q-Tips needed. I will never buy these again, but I will use them if they come in one of Julep’s awesome kits. While I use up those remaining in my stash, I am only using them to remove swatched polishes only applied to my tips. Even then, I am still having a lot of trouble.

Gum Butlerweave Dental Floss- This does not glide at all. I need floss that does not get stuck in my teeth. If it gets stuck even a single time, I will never buy it. The one I use all the time never gets stuck.

Iope Bio Essence Intensive Conditioning- This was the second essence in my challenge. It looks and feels like pure water. Since everything is in a language I cannot read, maybe it is.

h2o+ Aquafirm Micro Collagen Cream- I am not sure if it is the fragrance, which is strong, or one of the ingredients, but this moisturizer gave me a light rash. It was nothing compared to some of the reactions I've had to products, but I am positive this was the culprit. If I skipped a day, the rash went away. It returned when this returned. That was enough trial and error to see this is not compatible with my skin.

As always, thanks for the reviews! 

Loved100_5808.JPG

Liked100_5810.JPG

Didn't  like100_5812.JPG

Which Sisley product is that and what is in the gold jar? I really need to try the Bite wipes. Don't think I've seen a bad review from a BTer yet.

The Sisley product is the black rose cream mask.The gold jar is Elizabeth Arden ceramide premiere intense moisture and renewal.

Looks like the Black Rose Cream Mask which is my favorite thing ever.  Really need to bite the bullet and pay full price for that.

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

June empties.

Of note:

* I continue to love sheet masks.

* It took me 1.5 years to use up those PTR masks and I only started to like the rose one a few months ago (but not enough to repurchase it).

* I've never been so happy to get rid of a product than I am about the Bliss cleanser. Thank you, @jemly, for telling me get it the heck outta my life. And good riddance to that Erno Laszlo soap, too. It was horribly drying.

I still want to touch your face. It's weird, I know.

Ha re: Bliss Cleanser.  I remember loving that back in the day.  I can totally relate to having something you just can't wait to get rid of.  Great empties as always.

I konmari'd the heck outta it and never felt better. 🙂

Hahahahahaha!

Wait @TKLJ @jemly what's wrong with the Bliss face cleanser?! 

I wish I had the strength to hold on to my empties lol. I just immediately chuck it once it's empty 😛 

@Mcakes What Jem and Arv said. And even if Jem hadn't given me advice, it just seemed really mediocre. I bought it during the 2014 (!!!) Black Friday sale and only opened it this year, so clearly I didn't really need it.

I collect empties as a challenge now. If I slip and throw something away, I'll dig it out of the trash. 🙂

@Mcakes i just think it's too harsh. loads of foam PLUS exfoliators...i think it would leave most skins screaming (particularly with regular everyday use...)

I hated that cleanser so much. I used it as hand soap 😛 It made my skin super dry.

1 Reply
testing