Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

i like it for mornings when i'm in a rush...but i like it even more that it makes my 12 year old actually put something hydrating on his skin!!

This thread has REALLY made me start going through all of the beauty products I've been hoarding.  It feels so good to finish something!  Here are my empties for the month of May.

Loves:20160601_215131.jpg

Spoiler
Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer:  Love this stuff.  I love the way it makes my skin feel so silky after applying it.
Derma e Microdermabrasion Scrub:  This made my skin look and feel amazing!
Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat:  I always come back to this stuff.  It dries so quick and so shiny!
Davines Ol Oil Absolute Beautifying Potion:  I got this as a sample in a Birchbox and fell in love.  It makes my hair super smooth and smells amazing!  I bought a full size bottle of it already!
Whish Shave Cream:  This smelled so amazing (blueberry scent) and left my skin so soft!
Oscar Blandi At Home Salon Glaze:  This made my hair feel very silky (which usually isn't the case!)
Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick - Patina:  The color looks good on just about anyone!  I got this sample size in a pack of 6 around the holidays and my friend bought me a full size for my bday (it's her favorite too).
GlamGlow Super Mud:  I just loved the way my skin looked after using this. 
e.l.f. High Definition Powder:  I use this stuff every day.  And it's so cheap!
BBW body lotion - Cool Amazon Rain:  I really like BBW lotion and this scent was nice.
Real Chemistry 3 Minute Peel Body:  I used this on my arms (it would take so long to do your entire body!) and I really noticed a difference!

20160601_215501.jpg

Spoiler
Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Cleanser:  It smelled nice, but I don't know if it really exfoliated.
Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield:  I liked it and I liked that it had SPF, but I don't know if I LOVED it.
Stila Foundation (don't remember which one now...it came with an Ulta GWP) - I don't really remember much about this other than it was a decent foundation
Hempz Sweet Pineapple & Honey Melon Body Wash:  smelled yummy, average body wash to me.
Sonia Kashuk Pink Innocencia Body Polish - I actually got this on clearance a while ago and just recently used it.  It smelled nice, but I've used better body scrubs.
Benefit Porefessional:  Liked it, but I like other primers better.
Alterna Caviar shampoo and conditioner:  I liked this better than I thought I would.  I have very dry hair and this conditioner seemed to help with that.
Caudalie Devine Oil - I used this on my body (you can use it on your face and hair too) and liked how it absorbed quickly.
Tocca Body Scrub - Giulietta - I loved how this smelled and it was a decent body scrub.
Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo:  Not my favorite dry shampoo, but certainly not my least favorite either!
Vasanti Brighten Up Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator:  Leaves my skin feeling nice. 

Meh:

20160601_215629.jpg

Spoiler
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer:  I'm 30 and am starting to get fine lines on my face that I would like to start correcting now rather than later.  This smelled nice and didn't irritate my skin, but I don't think it really did anything for the fine lines!
MTJ High Definition Mascara - Meh.  Didn't really do much.
Cargo Texaslash Mascara - Name is misleading.  It really didn't add volume to my eyelashes!

IMG_1185.JPG

Already repurchased or plan on it:

First Aid Beauty Hydrating Serum: Purchased the full size. Plums & hydrates my skin without breaking me out, only downside is it can get tacky if I apply too much.

Acure Organics Marula Oil: This has surpassed Argan oil for me. It hydrates my skin and helps calm my rosacea. I’m using a DS sample of the Drunk Elephant and honestly cannot tell the difference.

Cerave Moisturizing Cream: Simple body cream that I always go back to when my skin is acting up.

Meh, if I get a sample but don’t feel the need to purchase:

Boscia Purfying Gel: I’ve had deluxe size but never been motivated to purchase it. It’s a decent cleanser that doesn’t strip my skin but nothing mind blowing. 

Batiste Dry Shampoo Wild Scent: Batiste used to my HG dry shampoo but I’ve notice the last couple of months it hasn’t worked as well. I don’t know if they’ve changed the formula or my scalp has just changed. I’m using up a backup but after that I need to try something new.

Dolce & Gabbanna Pour Femme

No. No, thank you:

Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence: I really want to add a skincare item with fermented ingredients since I keep hearing so many good things about it. However, this didn’t do much for my skin.

Infusion Rapid Repair Treatment: Alright, but I think this is discontinued. It did weigh down my hair if I used too much of it.

Dolce & Gabbana Dolce Lotion: I’ve got the perfume but I’ve never liked the lotions that come with perfumes. They usually are super greasy and cause my skin to break out.

Gucci Guilty

I have that Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence on my list of things to try. Is there any specific reason it was a no thank you or did you really just notice no difference, as in nothing positive or negative?

@notcreative I think the problem is it was too hyped up. The way that people were talking about this I was expecting to see drastic changes in my skin in terms of dehydration and texture. This bottle lasted 3 1/2 months and I saw no difference. I haven't used it in almost two and my skin isn't missing it. 

@notcreative A couple of times I swear I had a placebo type of effect where I swear I saw a change... But I think it was me wanting to see the change. Now that I stopped using it, I can say I don't miss it at all!

Great empties!  I'm with you on the lotions that come with perfume.  My sister got me one for a scent that I liked so much but I feel like they're never actually hydrating and it's the equivalent of just spritzing perfume over my entire body.

Yup! It just feels like an extra layer of perfume to make the perfume last a bit longer. This one wasn't as bad, I've had perfume lotions were I broke out in rashes due to fragrance. 😞 @kelloua

yay.jpgThese are my Yays!  Standouts were the Roc serum, the Crest 3D white strips, the YSL primer and the Korres Saffron serum sample.  I also loved the Egg mask.  The Time revolution face spray was awesome, and I love Lineige water mask.  My daughter loves the Neutrogena stuff always.

mid.jpg

These are the okays.  Im indifferent about BBW lotions, and the hair oil is okay, Id repurchase if I wasnt already to something else.

nay.jpg

These are Nope, not again.  My daughter will use any shampoo not nailed down, so she will finish what I buy and dont love/like.  The hairspray was a freebie, and it did the job but didnt smell the best.  Those eye gels never work.

I have a hard time noticing much of a difference with any eye gels I've tried. I am starting to wonder if they really do not work or if I am too harsh a critic. Have you tried any that work well?

@heartsmyface you got it! 😉

IMG_1613.jpg

This past month had nothing truly bad—even the stuff I didn't like is more down to personal preference, such as not liking creamy products (so goodbye lip glosses and creamy blush). The Mac shadow trio is something I never reach for, so I might as well Back to Mac it instead. There aren't any real standouts, as most of these things are everyday essentials that I've repurchased multiple times.

This was my first time ever with nothing bad, too.

Loves for May

image.jpeg

Spoiler
Alterna caviar shampoo and conditioner- I'm almost out of Black Friday sets and am very sad about it.  I love how soft and manageable my frizzy long hair is when I use them.  I only wish they weren't so expensive.
MUFE green primer-- I'm not particularly red all over, but I still liked how this was light and wore well.  I'm not sure it covered any of my red ares though.
TF hangoveRX -- this was a purchase I bought thinking " hey I'm getting older and don't handle a night out like I used to...but I don't want anyone to know that..." While I can't see it hiding a hangover, it was slightly moisturizing and felt nice.  I have a lot of primers at the moment but will re buy once I work through some of these samples.
Radical sunscreen -- light, not greasy, didn't leave a white cast, and I didn't burn.  I use sunscreen everyday and I quite liked this one. Again, I've got a bit to work through but I would buy this.
The Balm Time Balm tinted moisturizer-- the tint was light enough, I wouldn't call it coverage but it helped to even out a bit of tone issues before foundation.  I like the spf 18 to top off my daily sunscreen.  
IT Cosmetics brow power. This is my third of this brow pencil and while I haven't tried a ton of brow products (mine are full just need a bit of filling here and there), I have no desire to try others. This is a great colour, doesn't smudge and last me over 3months.  I'm already on to another. 
Marc Jacobs velvet noir mascara-- I know others didn't have much love for this, but I quite liked it.  I have been a pretty dedicated TF BTS user but I'll rotate this in to my mascara cycle.  I have long lashes already and one coat of this gives a nice fullness without going spidery and really makes my light tips black.
Purity-- this went into the wrong photo.  I do like it well enough, but ordered this by accident last year meaning to get the micro delivery wash.  I'm Canadian and this was right when the warehouse switch happened so I just kept it.  It belongs in the "okay but nothing special" pile.

Good... But not Great

image.jpeg

Spoiler
cotton rounds-- from Costco, nothing to write about here really.
Alterna overnight hair mask-- smell was a bit fishy and I don't really think it did anything, the smell did disapate and didn't bother me.
Marula oil shampoo and conditioner-- it washed and conditioned, I'd use it again but I won't go out my way to get it by any means. 
Ole Henrickson wipes-- they were on clearance at winners and worked well, they did sting my eyes a bit, I wouldn't pay full price but on sale, sure.  I don't use wipes very often and have never found any that really wow me. 
Burrbury Fluid Sheer-- this was nice, I have another sample that I'll use but I expected more.  The luminosity from this was covered entirely by a foundation and I wasn't strong enough to be a highlighter.  If you have nice enough skin to not wear foundation this would be a pretty all over glow.
Atillier mandarins-- I have so many of these.  It's okay but I'm sure I'll have samples to last years with how little I reach for it vs. Several other fragrances I do love.
Burts Bees Cleansing Oil-- it was okay, did clean my skin but nothing exciting.
ogx keratin oil conditioner-- this was too much oil for my hair but good for my ends.  If I got it up too much on hair other my ends it became greasy, on my ends alone it was fine.  It's just too much work when I'm half asleep in the shower.
alterna dry oil spray-- this was okay, not crazy moisturizing but worked more to tame frizzies on dry hair, I have other products that work better for this though.
Dry Bar Dry Shampoo, this worked on my greasy roots without being sticky, it would have ranked higher were it not for the powdery flowery smell.  Reminded me of an old lady's perfume.  I used it but Batiste works just as well with a scent I prefer.

A Pass for me

image.jpeg

Spoiler
sally hershberger 24K-- I should have known when I saw the word volumizing.... It felt like old school Aqua net in my hair.  I like silky Soft, run your fingers through it hair... This was not for me.  Used once and passed to a friend.

Overall a good month and I felt like I finished off more than I opened up, so it's a win!

Love the detailed reviews!

Empties may 2016.jpg

May 2016

Spoiler

Loved

OGX nourishing coconut milk- Since I started using this, it takes a lot longer than usual for my ends to spilt. That helps me go longer between hair cuts and keeps my hair looking healthier for longer. It saddens me that OGX no longer makes this product. Not only would I have named this a FabuFind, but I would have purchased some to stock up had I known. I purchased the product that seemed to replace this, the OGX nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum. It will take a while before I know if the replacement is comparable to the original, so I am not ready to review it yet. I can say that the serum, which resembles a clear oil does not seem to penetrate the hair as deeply as the original that looked like a thick, white conditioner.

Photo Phytolisse Ultra-Glossing Finishing Serum- This helps with frizz and adds shine from the first use as promised. The 0.17oz sample was generous considering how little of this you need. After using it only three times, it rolled off the gym bench and cracked on the floor. It looks like the full-size has a glass bottle, just like the sample. Hopefully, it is more steady and does not tip over as easily, because I may purchase this once I've made my way through some other samples.

Lancome L'extrait Eye Cream- This is still a FabuFind. I love and curse the day I decided to try this sample. Why you ask? It retails for $260 for a 0.5oz jar. That is $520 an ounce. While I adored the sample, I doubt I will ever pay that price. It really seems to make my eyes look brighter and lines look reduced. Love the effect! SAKS and Neiman Marcus have not sent me offers for any more free samples, so that gravy train may have dried up. After sharing my love of this item with a couple go other people, including my giveaway winner, I am all out. A sales associate did tell me I could use the regular L'extrait cream, which is cheaper per ounce than the eye cream, for my eyes. The ingredients are slightly different, but I do still have 2-3 samples of that cream left. I will try it on my eyes if I cannot find a suitable replacement. The eye cream I am sampling now is nowhere near as good as this.

Blue Stop Max Massage Gel for Body Aches- This thin, blue gel worked about as well as my Elemis gel, is a lot more expensive. I will probably buy a full size and alternate this with the Elemis to see which one works better. It is a topical analgesic that soothes and penetrates deeply. The formula has a special mixture of Cetylated Fatty Acids, Emu Oil, MSM, Glucosamine, Aloe Vera, and Menthol, It is safe for daily use for rapid relief of muscle and joint soreness. It delivers fast and effective relief for overall body aches, and I really appreciated it after a really tough workout.

Olay Ultra Moisture with Shea Butter Body Wash- I received this in a PINCHme box, and though I loved it, I donated the one they sent me in the second PINCHme box. This is a thick cleanser with a high concentration of shea butter. It lathers and cleanses extremely well. Although my skin is very dry, so I still feel the need to moisturize after using it, I do find this formula moisturizing. Someone without overly dry skin could skip the moisturizer after using this.

Ole Henriksen Protect The Truth™ Vitamin C SPF 50+ Sunscreen- This is still a FabuFind. It has an amazing scent that smells more like lemons than sunscreen. My skin never burns when I wear it. The formula is matte, and does not break me out.

Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray- This refreshing spray helps my makeup last longer than when I forget to use it. Even in the Vegas summer, this helps some of my makeup stay on. I plan on experimenting to see if there is a setting spray that help all of my makeup stay in. If there is not, I will gladly repurchase this, because my makeup needs help staying on.

Aveeno Active Naturals protect + hydrate- Two-in-one products are usually not my thing. This is a nice one though. It cuts getting ready time by a few minutes, which is always wonderful. I do not feel like I am sacrificing hydration or protection, because it does both extremely well. The best part is it does not have a heavy sunscreen smell, so I could use this everyday I am going outside if I wanted to.

philosophy full of promise dual-action restoring cream- This is much thicker than I expected, because the other philosophy creams I've tried were all too thin for my dry skin. I saved this for warm weather, but this would probably actually work in cold weather. It is hydrating, long-lasting and comfortable.

Willing to Try Again

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser- This does not lather at all, and I prefer lather. It is just harder to tell if I am really cleansing when it does not lather. I am fine with using this most of the time, because it does seem moisturizing and removes less natural body oils with its lack of lather. When I've had a healthy workout, I cannot reach for this. My son loves this, so I will continue to buy it.

Banana Boat Kids Max Protect & Play- I wanted to try a spray sunscreen that I could apply to wet skin, because it makes reapplying easier. It has a 110 SPF, which I know science has all but refuted that number. This does protect, and I do not get burned. Although it is a bit more of a hassle applying cream sunscreen to wet skin, I think it is better. My days of trying spray sunscreens (other than ones for scalps) are probably over, but I would use this again if it made its way to me.

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Nightly Brightening Pad- Some things from this brand are a little strong for sensitive skin. My main goal with this sample was to see if my skin could handle it. The good news is I did not react to this. I did not see or feel any results from this, so I would be willing to sample it longer to see if it does anything.

Yves Saint Laurent Youth Liberator Creme- This is a moderately thick cream that does a fine job moisturizing. It has a heavy perfumed scent, but it is not one I cannot tolerate. I did not react to this cream, so I'd be willing to try it in a larger size to see if it has any effect on my skin.

h2o+ Sea Marine Collagen Conditioner- It spreads nicely and smells great. I am not certain it does a lot for my frizzy hair, but it does not seem to make it worse either.

h2o+ Grapefruit Bergamot Conditioner- The conditioner is probably the best item from this line if I had to pick. It is nothing I would go out of my way to purchase. I like the scent and it conditions even though it is on the thin side. Plus, I love the scent that reminds me of Disney.

Not For Me

Granted, I did not finish a lot of products this month, but there was nothing I genuinely hated for the first time. That makes this uneventful month somewhat successful.

I used the Cerave cleanser for a really long time but now switched to the FAB for a bit. I know what you mean about not feeling that it cleans since it does not lather. It took me a really long time to stop using foaming cleansers but I've noticed my skin is less dehydrated after I stopped using foaming cleansers. 

Oh!  I have a bottle of the OGX split end mender a friend passed to me.  I haven't tried it yet but I've just pulled it out thanks to your post.  Is it wrong that I kinda don't want to like it if it's discontinued??

I feel the same when something is expensive 😉

Yup. If they're too expensive, I cannot bring myself to buy them.

I hate falling in love with things I cannot buy, so I totally get it. This does make me wonder why your friend passed it on to you though. Did she say why she did not like it?

2 Replies
testing