Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Empties

I've already picked out some products I'm targeting to use up in May (BM redness remedy and Jurlique Love Balm, I can see pan on the balm). I've also gotten reacquainted with my Vice3 palette and fallen back in love with it.

WP_20150429_010.jpg

Like -

BM Blemish powder - it works, tames inflammation, red bumps and whiteheads alike when they come up.

Tata Harper Regen cleanser - sometimes I get bumps on my forehead that linger and never resolve to a point where the BM Blemish powder can do anything. This stuff polishes them off.

Ren Glycolic Lactic peel. I'm trying out a Jurlique enzyme product right now and not as strong smelling as Ren. This product is the bar for how a good a peel should be for me.

Perversion - I can see why it is a standby mascara for so many. Not quite the effect I want though.

ABH Brow Wiz ash brown - worked really well but the NYX micro brow is the exact same product with texture application and firmness AND a spoolie but it's $10 msrp. I broke off the tip to see how much was left in the ABH after I couldn't crank it up anymore. There was a quarter inch of product left in the dispenser tube- but it's firmly wedged in and who wants to use the little flimsy dispenser tube to try and draw on brows?! I nearly had my eyes roll back in my head when I saw that, for a $21 product I hated leaving that much on the table.

The purple Tarte bottle actually had PTR Oilless in it (who wants to use a liquid product without a dropper??). I am stalking the product on another site that regularly has this stuff 20% off, it works great under makeup by itself, or I use it after washing my face under moisturizer and my skin isn't as dry. I figure buying full size that would last around five months if my rate of usage on this sample was a good barometer. All the raves, all the stars for this review.

Jurlique Purely Bright - I've nearly fixed the uneven spots from a two year old sunburn spot. If I ever do something that silly again, you can bet I'd buy a bottle of this.

Dislike

Ulta Nail Remover pads - Thicker polish or glitter, these don't do that well and they dry out fast. More like one pad does one hand... most of the time. I really want to get the OPI lavender wipes again, they were large and didn't dry out too fast or shred to bits.

Subversion - this stuff is a gloppy mess and doesn't stay on my lashes (well it only grabs on to a few). The UD rep was surprised and said maybe it is because I have citrus in my cleanser (Juice). uhhh maybe? I think other than how runny the formula is, the applicator isn't the best design for distributing product evenly. When you can get it on, it does enhance the look of dramatic longer thicker lashes but it really isn't worth the extra time in my routine to tease it there.

Interesting to hear the perversion and subversion reviews.  I have both in my makeup drawer and should be trying them soon.

Anonymous Insider

Kelloua, the subversion might work better with either a spoolie brush or one of the Sephora disposable applicators. Give it a shot? I'm just not dedicated enough to the lash primer idea to get fiddly with the wands.

Very thorough reviews - Perversion is one of my favorites.  I'll have to look for the Jurlique, I love their stuff.  

When I was debating switching to DevaCurl the advice that a SA with curly hair gave me is that it is most effective when you use their no poo and conditioner as well.  Accordingly, I use the no poo, their one condition, their styling cream and light defining gel and together I find that my hair is healthier and softer, my curls/waves are more defined than anything else I've tried.  I do still use regular shampoo + conditioner on the days I don't wear my hair curly (currently madly in love with Davines Oi).  I've experimented a lot with products and at least for me, no one product is a wonder product it's more about thinking about the whole system and how things work together.  I've also noticed that my routine is only as good as the worst product.  I was alternating Davines Oi with drugstore shampoo & conditioner to save money and sadly it wasn't until I stopped using drugstore products that my hair became much, much healthier.  (Having my ends trimmed more frequently definitely also helped.)  I know there are people who can get away with drugstore products and have amazing hair but that's just not me.  My hair is fussy and can look amazing or horrible depending on what I do to it.

Oh no!  That sounds absolutely awful I can fully understand then why it wasn't for you.

I loved the Sake Bomb at first but now I find that it makes m hair greasy after only a day or two. And I only use a little bit.  I've never had anything be too moisturizing but this one is for me, I think.  Usually I can go 4-5 days in between washing my hair.   May try the Happy Hour next.

I'm late but here are my empties for February and March. I must say, I'm getting pretty awesome at powering through my stash! I've purchased ALMOST zero makeup and significantly less than usual skin products because I've been committed to using up everything...only you guys understand why that feels like an accomplishment, my boyfriend rolls his eyes (though he does commend me for buying less...joke's on him, I just end up buying more tools and fragrances!).

Hot Tips! If a cleanser is awful, I use it up by cleaning my brushes with it. If a serum/moisturizer/SPF is not doing it or breaks me out, I use it up on my decollate and the backs of my hands.

0413151016.jpg

Loves

Batiste dry shampoo....but only if I find it for $5.99 again!

Shiseido cotton, mine and everyone elses favorite excuse to get a good promo!

Beauty Protector detangler and heat protectant - my HG, love that I can get it free from Birchbox whenever I run out!

Korres Greek Yogurt cleanser - felt nice and smells awesome, would consider purchasing if I ever ran out of face wash...

Eclos Apple stem cell cleanser - Ditto, this is a great pump bottle, gentle cleanser, love it in the shower and it's cheap when it's on sale at Ulta.

Caudalie Polyphenol serum - this stuff smells and feels awesome, but I want to try their other serums before commiting to this one.

Algenist SPF 50 - I got this on super sale with a groupon for 50% off, but when I run out of all of them I will probably buy it again. This is a great high spf physical sunscreen, serum texture, and dries very quickly. Not moisturizing, which is great for layering with moisturizer and make up or during hot weather.

Everything else is a ok or meh, but won't go out of my way to repurchase, except for

HORRIBLE

Estee Lauder Perfectly Clean foaming cleanser - How is this meant for human skin? I have not at all sensitive skin, and yet this BURNS like crazy! What is in this stuff??? Anyhow, I finished it by using it as makeup brush cleaner.

Great empties and interesting about using a cleanser on brushes.  As long as it is a gentle cleanser that definitely seems like it would work.

Bummed that the Oi was just meh for you.  That's my HG conditioner.

Anonymous Insider

I like your cleaning brushes tip! This is just what I needed to hear right now, as I have dozens of face wash samples that I have not liked (I'm thinking of you Eve Lom), and I've been wondering how to justify tossing them! Now I don't need to 🙂

I'm going to do the same thing with that EL Perfectly clean-thanks for the tip! I thought it was awful on the skin too, but it'll do for my brushes. What was up with that EL? usually their skin products are nice..

Good tips - I never think about using yucky cleansers for my brushes!

Anonymous Insider

Took forever to find the ELPC Ingredients but I would say it is the lye. wow.

Water, Myristic Acid [most come from palm or coconut], Glycerin, Behenic Acid [most come from palm or coconut], Potassium Hydroxide [lye], Palmitic Acid [most come from palm or coconut], Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate [most come from palm or coconut], Lauric Acid, Stearic Acid, Sucrose, Montmorillonite, Silybum Marianum (Lady’s Thistle) Extract, Gentium Lutea(Gentian) Root Extract, Algae Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitol, Caffeine, Zinc PCA, PEG-3 Distearate, Kaolin [clay], Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Ouhhhh,  a very productive month!!  

I can't wait to power through all my cotton pads so I can get into those shiseido ones!  I still have two packs to go.  The motivation is what drives my hygiene practices😜

Lol, how is this meant for human skin!   Yipes!  Soap that burns the grime off!  Maybe you have an allergy to one of the preservatives?  Burning is never good.

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you know it's gone rancid?  Most of my beauty products get used up in a timely fashion but I have a few that have been kicking around for awhile so now I'm curious.  And glad to know that lotion is good.  I think I have some from a holiday gift box...

Gottcha.  I was just curious because I have definitely kept some makeup products long past when the packaging said I would toss them but at long as they seem to keep working, I keep using them.

Totally late in sharing but so excited to participate in this thread.  Previously I haven't been great about using up products and have hoarded my samples so I think this will help!  I should note that I've also been using this as a kick in the pants to get rid of some empty containers that were used awhile ago, but still hanging out in my shower so I don't REALLY use this much shampoo and conditioner in a month.  Overall, I've been proud of how much I used up last month but challenging myself to use up the last little bit of some products that are on their last legs and to dip into my sample stash overall vs. just hoarding.  I also offloaded some makeup products that had been hanging around my drawers but that I knew I wouldn't use to my mom and sis when they were in town.

Empties1.JPG

Empties2.jpg

Loves:

-Aquafresh Extreme Clean Whitening Action (Already repurchased)

-UD eye primer (Already repurchased)

-MUFE HD foundation (Didn’t repurchase as I wanted to try other things)

-Beauty Blender (Already repurchased)

-Fresh Rose Floral Toner (have samples of other toners to use up first and then may repurchase)

-Bliss High Intensity 24-7 (have other samples of similar stuff to get through first)

-Dior Nude Air (have other foundation to get through first)

-Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel Wash & Treatment (This is a HG for me, already repurchased)

-Davines Oi Shampoo/Conditioner (Another HG, well stocked up)

-Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet (Need to use up other lotions first and then will likely purchase)

-FAB Dual Repair Cream (good, but not as moisturizing as I’d hoped)

-Lancome Bi-Facil (works but not sure it’s dramatically different than what I already use)

-Philosophy No Reason to Hide (didn’t see any improvement using these samples, but likely not a long enough trial period to fully judge)

-Bare Minerals Prime Time (not sure this did much either way)

-Eyeko Mascara Wardrobe (this is an oldie I stopped using awhile ago. I think I’ll like just using all the wands with other mascaras. This seemed to dry out fast.)

-YuBe Moisturizing Body Lotion (Fine, but not unique)

-Boscia Luminizing Mask (Like it but still not sure I want a full size)

-Ole Henrisksen Ultimate Lift Eye Gel (not sure this does anything and sometimes stings my undereye skin)

Nope:

-Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash (too harsh for my dry skin, took me YEARS to get through this)

-Soap and Glory Whipped Body Butter (holy fragrance. To me this just reeked.)

-Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Resist24 (This felt nice on but I ended up with weird bumps on my skin in the area afterwards. Not acne but reminded me of the irritated bumps I get after an eyebrow wax.)

Not pictured: samples of GlamGlow Thirsty Cleanse (Buying during the rouge sale), Caudalie Vinosource S.O.S. Thirst Quenching Serum (already stocked up on two bottles since this improved the hydration of my skin noticeably, Kate Somerville Eczema Therapy Cream (hated how it felt on my skin, felt greasy so a nope for me), Caudlie Beauty Elixir (Holy fragrance!  Still have a travel size of this as well I will use up but man is it stinky.)

testing