Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

Oh no!  That sounds absolutely awful I can fully understand then why it wasn't for you.

I loved the Sake Bomb at first but now I find that it makes m hair greasy after only a day or two. And I only use a little bit.  I've never had anything be too moisturizing but this one is for me, I think.  Usually I can go 4-5 days in between washing my hair.   May try the Happy Hour next.

I'm late but here are my empties for February and March. I must say, I'm getting pretty awesome at powering through my stash! I've purchased ALMOST zero makeup and significantly less than usual skin products because I've been committed to using up everything...only you guys understand why that feels like an accomplishment, my boyfriend rolls his eyes (though he does commend me for buying less...joke's on him, I just end up buying more tools and fragrances!).

Hot Tips! If a cleanser is awful, I use it up by cleaning my brushes with it. If a serum/moisturizer/SPF is not doing it or breaks me out, I use it up on my decollate and the backs of my hands.

0413151016.jpg

Loves

Batiste dry shampoo....but only if I find it for $5.99 again!

Shiseido cotton, mine and everyone elses favorite excuse to get a good promo!

Beauty Protector detangler and heat protectant - my HG, love that I can get it free from Birchbox whenever I run out!

Korres Greek Yogurt cleanser - felt nice and smells awesome, would consider purchasing if I ever ran out of face wash...

Eclos Apple stem cell cleanser - Ditto, this is a great pump bottle, gentle cleanser, love it in the shower and it's cheap when it's on sale at Ulta.

Caudalie Polyphenol serum - this stuff smells and feels awesome, but I want to try their other serums before commiting to this one.

Algenist SPF 50 - I got this on super sale with a groupon for 50% off, but when I run out of all of them I will probably buy it again. This is a great high spf physical sunscreen, serum texture, and dries very quickly. Not moisturizing, which is great for layering with moisturizer and make up or during hot weather.

Everything else is a ok or meh, but won't go out of my way to repurchase, except for

HORRIBLE

Estee Lauder Perfectly Clean foaming cleanser - How is this meant for human skin? I have not at all sensitive skin, and yet this BURNS like crazy! What is in this stuff??? Anyhow, I finished it by using it as makeup brush cleaner.

Great empties and interesting about using a cleanser on brushes.  As long as it is a gentle cleanser that definitely seems like it would work.

Bummed that the Oi was just meh for you.  That's my HG conditioner.

Anonymous Insider

I like your cleaning brushes tip! This is just what I needed to hear right now, as I have dozens of face wash samples that I have not liked (I'm thinking of you Eve Lom), and I've been wondering how to justify tossing them! Now I don't need to 🙂

I'm going to do the same thing with that EL Perfectly clean-thanks for the tip! I thought it was awful on the skin too, but it'll do for my brushes. What was up with that EL? usually their skin products are nice..

Good tips - I never think about using yucky cleansers for my brushes!

Anonymous Insider

Took forever to find the ELPC Ingredients but I would say it is the lye. wow.

Water, Myristic Acid [most come from palm or coconut], Glycerin, Behenic Acid [most come from palm or coconut], Potassium Hydroxide [lye], Palmitic Acid [most come from palm or coconut], Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate [most come from palm or coconut], Lauric Acid, Stearic Acid, Sucrose, Montmorillonite, Silybum Marianum (Lady’s Thistle) Extract, Gentium Lutea(Gentian) Root Extract, Algae Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitol, Caffeine, Zinc PCA, PEG-3 Distearate, Kaolin [clay], Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Ouhhhh,  a very productive month!!  

I can't wait to power through all my cotton pads so I can get into those shiseido ones!  I still have two packs to go.  The motivation is what drives my hygiene practices😜

Lol, how is this meant for human skin!   Yipes!  Soap that burns the grime off!  Maybe you have an allergy to one of the preservatives?  Burning is never good.

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you know it's gone rancid?  Most of my beauty products get used up in a timely fashion but I have a few that have been kicking around for awhile so now I'm curious.  And glad to know that lotion is good.  I think I have some from a holiday gift box...

Gottcha.  I was just curious because I have definitely kept some makeup products long past when the packaging said I would toss them but at long as they seem to keep working, I keep using them.

Totally late in sharing but so excited to participate in this thread.  Previously I haven't been great about using up products and have hoarded my samples so I think this will help!  I should note that I've also been using this as a kick in the pants to get rid of some empty containers that were used awhile ago, but still hanging out in my shower so I don't REALLY use this much shampoo and conditioner in a month.  Overall, I've been proud of how much I used up last month but challenging myself to use up the last little bit of some products that are on their last legs and to dip into my sample stash overall vs. just hoarding.  I also offloaded some makeup products that had been hanging around my drawers but that I knew I wouldn't use to my mom and sis when they were in town.

Empties1.JPG

Empties2.jpg

Loves:

-Aquafresh Extreme Clean Whitening Action (Already repurchased)

-UD eye primer (Already repurchased)

-MUFE HD foundation (Didn’t repurchase as I wanted to try other things)

-Beauty Blender (Already repurchased)

-Fresh Rose Floral Toner (have samples of other toners to use up first and then may repurchase)

-Bliss High Intensity 24-7 (have other samples of similar stuff to get through first)

-Dior Nude Air (have other foundation to get through first)

-Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel Wash & Treatment (This is a HG for me, already repurchased)

-Davines Oi Shampoo/Conditioner (Another HG, well stocked up)

-Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet (Need to use up other lotions first and then will likely purchase)

-FAB Dual Repair Cream (good, but not as moisturizing as I’d hoped)

-Lancome Bi-Facil (works but not sure it’s dramatically different than what I already use)

-Philosophy No Reason to Hide (didn’t see any improvement using these samples, but likely not a long enough trial period to fully judge)

-Bare Minerals Prime Time (not sure this did much either way)

-Eyeko Mascara Wardrobe (this is an oldie I stopped using awhile ago. I think I’ll like just using all the wands with other mascaras. This seemed to dry out fast.)

-YuBe Moisturizing Body Lotion (Fine, but not unique)

-Boscia Luminizing Mask (Like it but still not sure I want a full size)

-Ole Henrisksen Ultimate Lift Eye Gel (not sure this does anything and sometimes stings my undereye skin)

Nope:

-Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash (too harsh for my dry skin, took me YEARS to get through this)

-Soap and Glory Whipped Body Butter (holy fragrance. To me this just reeked.)

-Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Resist24 (This felt nice on but I ended up with weird bumps on my skin in the area afterwards. Not acne but reminded me of the irritated bumps I get after an eyebrow wax.)

Not pictured: samples of GlamGlow Thirsty Cleanse (Buying during the rouge sale), Caudalie Vinosource S.O.S. Thirst Quenching Serum (already stocked up on two bottles since this improved the hydration of my skin noticeably, Kate Somerville Eczema Therapy Cream (hated how it felt on my skin, felt greasy so a nope for me), Caudlie Beauty Elixir (Holy fragrance!  Still have a travel size of this as well I will use up but man is it stinky.)

Ohh you have all the shampoo & conditioners I have been wanting to try out for a while now. I recently went super blonde (at least for my hair) and tried a bunch of purple shampoos but they just dry out my hair like crazy.  😞 What's your hair texture like? I'm thinking about ordering the Davines Oil Shampoo &Conditioner next but my hair is fine and am worried it's going to weigh it down and make it greasy.

I don't know if I ever responded to you.  I have a completely different hair texture - coarse, thick and wavy.  I love Davines but for something lighter the Love is also really good.

This thread has definitely given me some motivation to finish up some things and use my samples instead of just switching it up quite so much just to try something new. I love storing my empties up now!

Do you always cut the tops off of your tubes or just if you love the product? I started doing it with my handrcream after seeing you post about it and I was shocked at how much was left even though I thought I had squeezed every little bit. 

I know I do.  If you calculate the cost per ounce of beauty products, it's insane not to;) 

here are my empties for march:

FULL SIZE PRODUCTS

11131846_10153977289968840_2097600766_n

loves 

• hourglass ambient lighting palette – i love this!!! it is the perfect finisher for my makeup!  i have been without this for almost 2 weeks now and oh how i miss it!!! i’m trying to hold out until the sephora sale to repurchase it BUT I NEED IT!!!
  • boscia makeup breakup cleansing oil: i love the way this gets all of my makeup off – even mascara.  this is a daily product for me and i can’t see myself wanting to use another makeup remover again
  • shiseido cleansing water – i love this!! this is my morning refresher.  i don’t usually wash my face in the morning but use this instead.  i’m currently trying the bioderma cleansing water so i haven’t repurchased but i would in a heartbeat
  • benefit boi-ing concealer – i rediscovered this when i did a use it or lose it.  i had forgotten how much i liked this.  i will not repurchase right now because i want to finish up some of the concealers i have but this is one i would buy again
  • l’oreal carbon black mascara – i already repurchased.  i like this mascara in combination with my urban decay subversion primer.  the combo of these products gives me some pretty decent length and volume
  • urban decay native liner – i LOVE this liner! creamy, pigmented, its my perfect baby pink liner.  i find myself using this one almost every day – in combination with so many different colours
  • sugar advanced therapy lip treatment – my winter lips are not dry and cracked and i have this baby to thank!
  • urban decay setting spray – this is an essential in my makeup routine.  i feel like it finished my makeup perfectly and makes my makeup last forever!
  • glysomed foot balm and hand cream- i love glysomed!!! this stuff takes canadian winters and gives them a huge na na na na boo boo!
  • icing on the cake, buttercream and vanilla – I SMELL LIKE CAKE!!!! nuff said
  • algenist gentle rejuvenating cleanser – gets my face clean but doesn’t strip my dry skin
  • makeup forever brush cleaner – this works so well and quick!!

• dr bronners pure castile soap – this was ok.  i used it to clean my brushes but i prefer my beauty blender solid
  • soft soap body butter coconut scrub – i like this, my son likes this, we go through a lot of this.  its good, but nothing spark-tacular!
  • urban decay zero liner: i used to love this…and then i tried perversion!  perversion just seems creamier and blacker to me
  • john frida 100% shine glossing mist – i like this for when i’m straightening my hair but i don’t’ feel like its anything special

no just no

• quo brush cleaning wipes – these were horrid!! they were dry before i opened them, they were just useless!
  • quo brush cleanser – this cleaned my brushes but i feel like i needed so much product to do the job
  • simple pleasures snow flurries shower gel – HATED the scent and the feeling on my skin!

DELUXE & FOIL SAMPLES

11131862_10153977289718840_617640123_n

loves 

• deva curl ultra defining gel and styling cream – these are my hg hair products!! i use nothing else in my hair.  from the scent to the way they make my hair look and feel – just perfection!
  • hourglass mineral veil primer – this is hg status for me!  i’m trying super hard to use up all the primers i have before i repurchase but i will repurchase this one in a heart beat.  my makeup looks smooth and flawless and lasts forever!
  • korres greek yoghurt sleeping facial mask – this hydrates my face sooo well!! my face feels smooth and moisturized after using!
  • algenist genius cream; overnight restorative night cream; eye balm; firming and lifting serum; triple action micro peel – algenist products are my hg skincare!  these products are gentle enough to not irritate my sensitive skin while still getting the job done
  • jack black deep dive facial cleanser – my son actually washes his face willingly because of this product – enough said!

• makeup forever mist and fix – i like this, i just like my mac fix + better
  • shiseido power infusing concentrate – while i liked this i wasn’t a huge fan of the scent
  • algenist anti-aging repair oil – i like this but i can’t use an oil on a regular basis
  • too faced better than sex mascara – liked it but just didn’t love it
  • shiseido refining makeup primer – i like it but its not my hourglass mineral veil

lifes too short

these were products that i just couldn’t bring myself to use up.  things i legit couldn’t stand!

• buxom mascara – am i wearing mascara? can’t tell!
  • benefit bad gal lash- clumpy short lashes? no thanks!
  • algenist regenerative anti-aging moisturizer – had a pepperminty smell and made my skin burn
  • too faced primed and poreless primer – balled up on my face
2 Replies
testing