asdfkl

Does anyone else use "expired" makeup?

I know makeup only has a certain amount of time before it goes bad, but it always seemed to be that more people said this rule rather than following it. I know lots of people who use eye shadows, blushes, bronzers, lip products, powders, and foundations that are 4+ years old even though it is advised to throw them out after a year or two. Mascara has a life span of 3-4 months, but I know people who use mascara that is a year old. Personally, I do not throw away my makeup. As bad as this may sound, I still use eye shadows and blushes/bronzers that are 3+ years old. And some of my lipsticks are even older than that.... The only rule that I somewhat follow would be the powder rule. But that's just because I use powder instead of foundation, so it is easy to go through those in a couple months. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else uses makeup longer than they should. I don't like to waste my products which is why I hold onto them for so long.

itscarin

Re: Does anyone else use "expired" makeup?

(0) Hearts

I'm guilty as charged of using "expired" makeup.  I don't think it's a big deal on powders.  On liquids it it probably matters.  I rarely ever finish a product.  I like trying a bunch of different products.  I wouldn't buy a bunch of products if I thought I had to throw them out after only using a small fraction of the project.  Things with moisture in them, like gel liners, and cream shadows, dry out and become useless, but powders always perform well.

If you're worried about bacteria you can get makeup sanitizing sprays.  They say you should throw your mascaras out every 6 months, but I don't, and I've never had a problem.  I honestly don't keep them for much longer than 6 mos though because they tend to get dried up and worthless around that time anyway. 

Sonny4President

(0) Hearts

Most eyeshadow palettes have a suggested expiration date of 12-18 months... I don't see why people stock a whole bunch of palettes.

It's hard to throw out makeup, especially if it's really expensive I can understand.

It all comes to how comfortable you feel wearing makeup past the suggested expire date, if you have a gut feeling you should throw it out... you should, I know my mom has unfinished shadow palettes 7+ years, but she never uses them... and there's an unfinished Shiseido sunscreen bottle downstairs that's no one wants to even touch because it's probably like 5 years old... my dad probably uses it though lol

fatimamummy

I was used to use makeup so rarely in past that it was impossible for me to remember when I started using a specific product, Although for past 3 or 4 months I'm using and buying makeup regularly (Thanks to BT :smileyvery-happy: )

but still I don't label anything.Powdery products can last a long time so no worries for them, for lipstick and glazes etc they easily show when starting to get bad, so throw away when start feel even slightly different. Mascara and eye liner need more precaution, And I always have so many deluxe size mascaras from different GWP's and Perks that I hardly buy any in full size and I open no more than 2 at a time so I can finish them within say 3-5 months.

Basically I'm a skin care junkie and I really take care of the expiry dates, and if the product is supposed to be used within a specific time after opening, I keep track of it. 

spadersgirl

(0) Hearts

To be honest, I normally don't remember or notice the dates until the product looks, smells, or feels off. So I know that some things can last past the expiration date but once I realize something is old, I bite the bullet and throw it out no matter how little I've used. I don't think it's a good idea to gamble with these things, especially with the types of ingredients in these products.

nathaliew

(0) Hearts

I don't use expired sunscreen because it's not as effective. I do use expired makeup, especially baked eye shadows. i

kbmatthews

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Powder makeup products I keep the longest, like eyeshadows and blushes. Some I've had for 5+ years. Softer items like lipsticks and eyeliners I'll keep past expiry, but I try to be conscious of the fact that they're older. Liquid items, like mascara and eyeliners, I try to toss within a reasonable period. Usually more than 3 months, but less than 6.

HawaiianEyes7

(0) Hearts

I pretty much ignore the "expiry" on the makeup. I had no idea what the symbol even meant until a couple months ago lol :smileyvery-happy: I use mascara until it starts to dry up or doesn't apply the way I like it anymore. I sometimes throw them away if I just get bored of them lol. I use concealer until I can't get any more out of the package, and I use powder foundation so it doesn't go bad. I have eyeshadows that are probably 3 or 4 years old that still apply fine, and I see powder eyeshadows as something that will last forever. 

aydasu

I do 2 big spring cleaning/declutter sessions each year and throw away anything that is expired. I keep track of dates when I open them so it is easy to identify. I rather buy new makeup than get an infection or acne. I already have 99 problems I don't need this :smileyhappy: I am obsessed/amazed by bacteria thanks to the classes I had taken during undergrad. They grow fast like you would not believe. They like warm and moist environments and they breed like Kris Jenner! 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

The only ones that I'm **bleep** about it sunscreens, primers and foundations. 

I have very sensitive acne prone skin, and it takes forever for me to recover from breakouts :smileysad: and I'm very very inpatient. .. 

and I usually finish eye shadows before 5 yrs is up (read it in a blog somewhere) so I'm safe there 

but most other stuff like eyeliners, mascaras, brow pencils, and things that I don't or forget to wear often like lipsticks, lip gloss, tints, highlighters, they're probably older than they should be.. 

one of my eyeliners is like 2~3 yrs old because I forget about them in my "travel pouch" 

and I can't make myself throw out a $30 or $35 mascara when all they do is.. curl the lashes (but I can't seem to like any drugstore ones either.) 

hannasilkwood

(0) Hearts

After reading this, I think I am going to go throw away a few mascaras, those are definitely on the cheaper on the end of my collection so its not so hard. I'm super guilty of having eye shadow palettes, blushes, powders, and lipsticks for years. I just have so many it feels like it would be impossible to use them all up in a year and a huge waste to throw them away, Especially when you spend hundreds personalizing palettes. I have nail polish from 5 years ago and it goes on just the same. If its a little clumpy just add a little alcohol. I don't think nail polish is a thing you need to be sanitary cautious with anyways and I don't think I have finished a bottle in my life. 

TheSocialQuota

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The only nail items that I've heard about are emery boards and the like. I will freak out if someone tells me polish can become a petri dish. The only bottles I ever finished were the little Bon Bons.

nightknight

(0) Hearts

I'm guilty of this. Usually I hang onto it if it hasn't changed color, texture, smell, etc. Usually I hold onto powder based products the longest. However, I will toss things like mascara and liquid eyeliner after their good by date.

Cupcakecandy

I got into makeup about 2 years ago, and my "collection" is quite small, so I don't have to worry about this yet, but I would definitely keep using my stuff a few years from now! If things became really dry and chalky, I would throw it out, but if they worked well, I wouldn't. I am guilty of using mascara for much more than 3 months though because it takes me forever to use up a tube! 

annypoo

(0) Hearts

I do throw away mascaras quicker than anything else, but def longer than 3 months. I can't finish a tube in 3 months. I usually keep it for about 6 months. 

MysticalAngel

[ Edited ]

*whispers* I have some eyeshadows that are about 8 years old. *cringes* I know! I know!

But, they don't smell funny, their texture hasn't changed and they're still as pigmented as the day I bought them. Those 12(yes *cringes*) shadows are the only "oldies" in my collection. Nail polish being the exception.

Everything else was bought in the last 4 years. That's not to say I haven't thrown stuff away. I regularly throw mascara and liquid liner out at the 3 month mark, skincare stuff gets used up well before it expires.

I have thrown lipsticks and glosses out on occasion but you could tell they went bad. 

When it comes to my pretties I usually go by sense of smell or texture. If it smells rancid or off, chuck it.

Technically nail polish can live forever. Just buy a nail polish thinner from Sally Beauty and they can go on to paint your nails another day! I have nail polishes that are 17-18 years old and their consistency is still pretty good! :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

Things that can be sanitized (pressed powder and eyeliner pencils) yes, to a certain point, but if smell, look, texture changes or it's been a couple years past expiration date, toss.

redwagon44

The only thing I don't mess around with is wet eye products like mascara or liquid liner. That's because I've dealt with reoccurring eye infections in the past and that's something I'd rather never experience again. I toss anything else when it gets wonky. 

asdfkl

(0) Hearts

I've never gotten an eye infection from mascara, but I don't like to keep my mascaras for too long as well. When I was younger I used a mascara that was 2+ years old (I know that this is horrifying, but I was really young and didn't know that makeup expired). I noticed that a couple hours after applying it my eyelashes looked funny, so I poked at them a bit to perk them up. Well, that ended up being a huge mistake because when I poked them my eyelashes fell out.... Right from the root they came out of, and I even saw a drop of blood in the spots they fell out of. I still use mascara past the 3 month mark since I never finish one that quickly, but I definitely am more careful with how long I keep them. I don't want my eyelashes fall out again. 

annypoo

I'm guilty of using eyeshadows for more than 2 years. I bought the original UD naked palette when it first came out so I'm sure it's been more than 2 years, but I haven't hit pan on any shades yet so I'm not about to throw it away. Same goes for blush. It will take me longer than 2 years to use up something unless I'm using it every day. But I rotate what I use so much it's hard to hit pan. I'm more cautious with glosses and mascara. If you do use expired makeup, I would just be cautious. Any weird smell or look, I would throw it out just to be safe. 

hannasilkwood

(0) Hearts

I am the same way. I have all the Naked Palettes and 2 huge personalized MAC palettes and unless I redid my eyeshadow 10x a day every day, I don't think I will hit pan in most of them for a few more years. I don't feel like it effects the product too much. Same with blushes, I'm guilty of having a million. I don't think I have ever hit pan on one unless it broke. I occasionally will spray them lightly with a alcohol/water solution and wipe off the top layers to sanitize them. Especially when I do other people's makeup. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • itscarin
    • nathaliew
    • ChicDabbler
    • nightknight
    • MysticalAngel
    • aydasu