hannasilkwood

Boscia Konjac Sponges

Just thought I would share and hopefully save you all some money. I purchased a generic konjac sponge a few months ago for 1$ off eBay after seeing reviews of an EcoTools one. I absolutely loved it - I went back and ordered 10 more because they do need to be disposed of after a while. Now I see that Sephora is now selling Boscia Konjac Sponges for 15$ and that is outrageous. I recently went in to the store and looked at it, felt it, and even asked a BA to get it wet for me. It was the EXACT same as my 1$ sponge. I attempted to post this in a review but as we all know, Sephora LOVES to remove reviews when people point out that they are being ripped off. Bosica honestly probably purchases the same sponges I did, but they put they put it in a box with there name on it and charge 15X as much. I did a little research, turns out these sponges all around cost pennies for them to make, so there is NO reason they should be charging 15$ for them. I will happily pay 100$ for a face cream that research has been put into, but I will never pay that much of a mark up for something so simple and that has been around for a while. 

miabt

Re: Boscia Konjac Sponges

Hi hannasilkwood,

I'm a little bummed you aren't a fan of the Boscia Konjac sponges!  I've tried a few knock-offs & so far nothing compares :smileywink:  I've found that my Boscia ones last much longer & tear less often.  Technically we're supposed to replace the sponges every 3 months, just like the Clarisonic Brush Heads, but I've stretched mine about 4-5 months.  BUT, I take super good care of them, rinsing them completely and I don't leave them in the shower to dry, which we know would never really DRY.  

As far as reviews being removed, if your review was based on the price of the sponges vs. the actual quality of the product, your review would be have been removed.  We want clients to share their experiences with products, whether its good or bad.  I actually depend on the reviews a lot when I make my purchases!  Hope that helps clarify a bit :smileywink:

xo, Mia

sp2001

(0) Hearts

I wish I had seen this before the rouge event when I bought my sponge :smileysad:

hannasilkwood

(0) Hearts

I'm not huge on taking stuff back, but I would definitely return it. I mean its not like Sephora will be losing out on money because the mark up on these is incredibly high. 

bratknits

Also going to add that the labeling on all these sponges is misleading at best.  There's no such thing as a "konjac root fiber."  The konjac plant doesn't produce a bast fiber like hemp or linen.  It's made from chemically extracted cellulose just like rayon is.  In fact, if the cellulose was made into a fabric, thread yarn, or garment instead of a sponge it would be illegal to label it that way in the US.

bratknits

Know why it only costs pennies to make?  Konjac is a widely grown crop all over Asia for food and industrial use.  What to know what else?  After processing, those sponges are really no different than ones made from wood pulp or any other plant material because cellulose is cellulose.  It's a real racket but you can't place a value on placebo effect.

malday

I like to get one off Amazon called My Konjac, I get the charcoal one. It's $10 + free shipping for me, and lasts up to 3 months with proper care. Not as cheap as $1 but still cheap! lol.

IAmLadyLiterary

I feel the same way, I got a Konjac sponge in a beauty box, and looked up the brand online to order more and the sponges were $7 each which I would happily pay.  Ecotools charges $6.  It's mental to me that they are charging $15.  I haven't tried any $1 ones but I don't see why they wouldn't work just as well.  It's the same material.  

On another note, I love the Konjac sponges, they are so gentle I can use it on my eyes, yet it thoroughly cleanses the rest of my face and leaves in feeling clean.  

nishcakes

(0) Hearts

Yep. I originally bought the Boscia one. But, then I came across the EcoTools one for less than half the price. Thank goodness I didn't use the Boscia, so I was able to return it.

hannasilkwood

(0) Hearts

I completely agree, I love the sponges and everyone should get one - they feel so nice when cleansing your face, but I think it is crazy to spend more than a few dollars on any konjac sponge when you can get them so cheap elsewhere. Its all about the brand, people are like "Oh its Boscia so it has to be good" and are willing to pay more for the exact same thing. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • malday
    • miabt
    • bratknits
    • nishcakes
    • sp2001
    • IAmLadyLiterary