prettyinpa

Bad packaging!

In your opinions, what products come with the worst packaging? I hate when I spend good money on a product that is hard to get out of it's container. I'm thinking of Boscia Restorative Night Treatment. No matter how I hold the pump bottle, when I depress the top, a huge squirt shoots out, often missing my hand completely and squirting on the sink, mirror, floor, you name it! To add insult to injury, the amount that comes out is way more than I'd need for my face, so on top of missing my hand, I am wasting a bunch by having too much come out. Doesn't matter if I only half or quarter depress the top, it still does this.:smileymad:

orbi

Re: Bad packaging!

I got a product last night that I just had to add to this thread -- Urban Decay lipstick! What is with the bizarre little sword thingy at the bottom that I have to pull on? It hurts my fingers when I try to pull it open, and it does not pull open easily! Luckily for UD/Sephora I adore the color (Naked), so I'm going to keep it and hope that it loosens up over time.

Honorable mention to Fusion's illuminating product (forget the exact name). You squeeze the tube and it comes out on this little roller thingy. I love love love the  product - dewy and not shimmery or glittery, but the packaging is just ridiuclous. You either get way too much or way too little out. I'm seriously contemplating cutting open the tube and putting in in a jar.

prettyinpa

@orbi-  I ended up cutting off that little sword thing on the UD lipstick and smoothing off the rough edge with a file. (Who thinks up these things, anyways)?

emilliken

I had to make another post on this thread.  I bought the pack of 3 lipglosses from Bite and the squeeze tubes are absolutely HORRIBLE.  The cap doesn't seal the glosses shut it just keeps going around the lid! I found this out after opening up one of my purses after stowing a gloss in there to find the cap had come off and it leaked ALL over my bag.  I would chalk this up to a one time mistake on my part if another one of the glosses hadn't done the exact same thing in a make up bag of mine.  Also, the product leaks through the applicator tip and the actual bottle it's in.  After a while the applicator tip gets stuck in the cap too.  Love this product but very disappointed in the packaging.

glamournut

I agree on the Benefit stay don't stray pump. It is hard to control. I would also add the Korres body creams in the pump containers. It is awesome body cream, but there appears to be a lot of product in the package and it won't pump anymore out. You can't even cut it open or break it to get the last of the product out. So frustrating!
haleybeas

I really don't know why Urban Decay decides to come up with the worst packaging ever for their items, but they do.  We now clearly know that Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion has horrible packaging.  I had mine for about 7 months and was ready to throw it away because the product stopped showing up on the applicator.  I had just figured it had ran out.  I then watched a video on how to "depot" the potion out of those awful bottles.  It turns out that there was probably another years use left in there.  But moving on, Urban Decay's liquid liner is another bad packaged item.  The applicator will never reach down to all the product because it is restrained by the top. It is an awesome product, but I am sad that I will not be able to use it to the last bit.

pandapple6

The worst packaging is Benefit's Stay Don't Stray. It is a pump top bottle and always pumps waaayy too much out when you  only need the tiniest amount and I hate to waste the product. I have somewhat mastered it but I have to really concentrate and in the morning when I am rushing, I sometimes skip priming my eyes because it is a bother. 

macuser

I am currently trying to get the last of the Advanced Face Firming Activator from Perricone. The pump does not go to the bottom of the bottle so I had to turn the bottle upside down. At $120.00 a bottle I think they could come up with a better way to dispense the product. Plus sometimes this product will squirt out and miss my fingers altogether so I have wasted this product too.

resaunde

Smashbox primer w/ dermaxyl - love the product, but the pump is just terrible. Ultimately, you find yourself ripping off the entire pump and throwing it away, then looking for anything that will work for proper application. Seriously, this is a great product, but seriously, the pump ALWAYS gives a problem (towards the end of the bottle).

sephoramusthave

I dont like twist up lipglosses either! They always give you more product than you need which wastes a lot of product ( and moolah) and no matter how careful you are with them, they always somehow create a sticky mess! >_< Thats part of the reason why I gave up on lipgloss years ago...I used to have a drawerful of lipgloss but I trashes everything and replaced it all with one lipstick and a few lipbalms. I hate sticky glosses with a passion, and most of the ones I tried are too sheer for the price, dont last long at all, and always leave this nasty ring around my lips 30 min later. For the last 3 or so years, I have just used one good lipstick and Rosebud Salve most of the time. Lipstick gives me color, balm gives me moisture, and used together I *look* like I'm wearing gloss w/o actually wearing it. LOVE.

serendipity01

I had the cover of a bottle of bliss super slough body wash completely shatter on me when I dropped in in the shower.  I always drop things in the shower, but that was the first time that I had something break like that.  It happened just a couple of days after I bought it too, so that was sad.  I emailed Bliss asking if I could get a replacement cap, but they never emailed me back.  :smileysad:

I also don't like packaging of products that are a twist up... like the Stila Lip Glazes.  If they make packaging like that, it should be a simple 1 click/twist = enough product for 1 application.  I don't know if it's just my lip glaze being defective or something, but I normally I click it once and I don't see anything happen... so I click it again... still nothing... and then I shake it, to try to get the product toward the tip... still nothing.  then, I get frustrated and click it like 5x and a whole glob/mess is on the tip.  Anyway, I am not buying anymore Stila Lip Glazes, due to the packaging.

makeupobesessed

I just had this problem with the Stila lip gloss, I kept clicking and suddenly I had so much ome out, it wasted in the cap.
supertrixie

ah yes, stila lip glaze!

I love it, i love the sparkles i love the colours but that click twisty is so tricky. It does end up wasting so much product and honestly, there isn't a lot of product in those tubes, considering how pricey it is. 

oh well. I just bought a box of 5 colors and have 2 others to finish. I just see the new ones and forget what a hard time i have with the twist up dispenser.

jbyrne

YESSSS i agree with @supertrixie. Those are the worst lipglosses to buy because there seems like there is only an ounce of lipgloss in there and you have to "click it" or so to speak to actually get a lot of product out, in the end wasting a lot of product and stila isnt cheap either!

sephoramusthave

I HAD to come back to this board to compain about this item: Escada's Collectors Eddition Coffret.

I love Escada fragrances and thought this would be a deal, but its a huge rip off. You get .65 oz of perfume for $43, and that doesnt include tax and shipping. You basically get 5 samples, but they are charging you the same price as what a full size fragrance would cost. It has no spray top or any sort of applicator, you just pop open the top and POUR the product on. There are no labels on the perfumes, so if you lose the little boxes they come in, you have no idea which one you want to rebuy in full size.

:smileymad:

emilliken

So glad this thread was started!! I love Korres White Tea Facial Fluid Gel Cleanser however you have to twist off the cap while your hands are wet and I'm towards the end of the bottle and it's hard to use every bit of it.  It sounds really high maintenance but it's just super inconvenient when your hand are wet and fumbling around in your bathroom!

islandqt

*cracks knuckles* where do I begin??!!

1) Benefit: Benetint -- Sorry but the glass bottle has broken on me once and cracked on the second time and I was NOWHERE near finished with it. I have yet to repurchase due to my misfortune with the delicate packaging.

2) Urban Decay Primer Potion:-- I'm sure all of you know the issues with the packaging, (not being able to get the product out when there's tons left) but now they sometimes do that squeezy tube so that's better

3)Cover FX water based foundation and concealer: For some reason this formula separates and gets runny VERY quickly and I just think that it would be better if if came in a bottle that you can actually shake and with a pump.

4)NARS packaging: No  real technical problems but that rubber surface just gets so dirty and unsightly so easily.

5) LA Colors loose eyeshadow pigment -- the one that comes with that horrible brush that fits into the slot. It's agood product but you have to depot it to get the product out there is no other way. I know it's cheap but still. Packaging boggles my mind, it's like someone lost a bet.

6) Body Shop foundation and Make UP Forever HD mincrofinish blush: Both have the same problem, too much product comes out in one pump.

7) NARS translucent loose powder: I have this in the shade "Mountain" and while it is a great product that comes with a great poof applicator, it annoys me that I can't close the puff inside the container (it won't close). I also think it could close A LOT tighter since the product is so very finely milled. A lot spills out even with that flimsy sifter they give you.

That's it so far...

xxanastasiax

Wow islandqt, I agree with you on every product that you mentioned which I own (the NARS, UD primer potion and Benetint)! They all need to do something about the packaging, because they are great otherwise!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I love Perfekt's Eye Perfection Gel, but I can't stand the tube! I don't know what it is about it -- whether it gets stuck or what -- but the second you apply pressure, even slightly, it squirts out at lightning speed in an unpredictable direction. It ends up (with luck) on the mirror -- or my shirt, skirt, coat lapels, etc. I love the product, but even when I'm really careful with it -- eek.

: )

strmysony

Years ago I used Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% Clarifying Gel, it came in a glass jar with a small pump. It was hard to push down on because it was so tiny and then it would spray everywhere. Plus it didn't work that well for me and was pricey. 

sephoramusthave

Hands down, Caudalie Vinoperfect Revealing Mask. I was very interested in getting this product but when I went to the store to check it out, it comes in this stupid plastic tube with a brush applicator. I couldnt get any of the product to squeeze out and neither could a couple of the sephora sales people ( and they were men with much stronger hands than me!). If you're lucky to get any of the product out, the brush eats most of it up so you're wasting a lot. And for $50, its a rip off.

I also hate anything that comes in a pump bottle because I can never use up every last bit, and I cant cut them open either, which wastes product and money.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 91 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • ssmittys
    • supertrixie
    • strmysony
    • prettyinpa
    • islandqt