butterblume

Am I Being Paranoid?

I received my order for MUFE's Aqua Rouge liquid lipstick today (so excited!)

But when I picked it up to open it, the first thing I noticed was that the lid at the end of the packaging was ripped. You know how the package is a little rectangular tube, and then at the end is the little lid? It was ripped, and the little tab that usually holds it closed had fallen off.

So immediately alarm bells go off in my head because when that happens it's usually because somebody has been overzealous in trying to open the packaging. (It's happened to all of us I'm sure -- trying to get our nails under the tab to pull it up and the thing just rips).

And I'm thinking, "Well the warehouse people probably had no reason to open it." So then I examine it and I notice there is a bit of lipcolor on the mouth of the tube. And I know that typically doesn't happen til the tube has been opened.

I mean none of this indicates the product has been used - maybe somebody just opened the tube to look at it. But it still skeeves me out because there's no way for me to know for sure they didn't also dab it on their lips for funsies.

So am I being paranoid? What do you think I should do?

linda711

Re: Am I Being Paranoid?

(0) Hearts

I would definitely exchange it, I don't think you're being paranoid at all.

emmamaybe

(0) Hearts

Oh no I hope it turns out okay.  I would get a replacement if you have any shadow of a doubt because you just don't need to risk stuff like that. 

This reminds me of once when my Hubby ordered a new part for his guitar online and when it arrived in the mailbox... it was just the packaging that it'd been shipped in.  There was nothing in it, and it was very clearly ripped open.  We took it to the post office and they could NOT have cared less.  He had to fill out a report of what it was etc. but we never heard anything back.  I am convinced someone in the warehouse saw that it said "genuine Fender parts" on the customs slip and decided that they wanted it for themselves. 

Missie772

Not paranoid at all! You paid for a new lipstick so you should get a new lipgloss!!!

About 4 years ago, I bought a lipgloss in the Bare Minerals Store. I went home, used it for a few weeks, and then went on vacation. I put it in my makeup bag (normally my everyday makeup is right on the vanity). When I poured out my makeup bag onto the bed to organized it all, I saw a "TESTER" sticker on the bottom of the tube!!! I freaked out because who knows how many people had used that gloss and what kind of germs were in there. I called up the BM store and told them about it (I had thrown away the receipt by that time already). They basically accused me of stealing a tester to try to exchange for a new product. I never shopped there anymore and to this day, I still kind of hate the brand for the awful experience I had with the SA.

But Sephora is absolutely wonderful with returns and exchanges and you will have no problem exchanging it for a new one! :smileyhappy:

YouAreAlways

(0) Hearts

Omg. I dont even know what I would of done. I cant even... :vomit:

missfawnie

(0) Hearts

Oh no!! How awful! So sorry that you were treated so horribly by that SA. BM stores do seem to have a bit of a snobby atmosphere... It must be the chandeliers. Haha. 

I have been fortunate enough that in Sephora, when I lose my mind and accidentally bring a Tester to the counter, the SA picks up on it and points it out to me. 

I'm sure everyone has been there when it comes to picking up a tester on accident. I think stores should definitely have a good policy in place to ensure that customer's don't walk out of the store with a tester. I'm not sure if Sephora has one (or if I've just had observant SA's), but I am thankful that it hasn't happened to me yet. *knocks on wood*

kittichick

Good god, that is HORRIFYING. O.O

butterblume

(0) Hearts

Sephora is definitely fabulous about returns!

I am so sorry about your BM experience. That is awful awful customer service. I am not surprised they lost you as a customer.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh my! That is insane! 

lilahtov

No need to explain yourself!! You have every right to have a new lipstick--you paid for one! Definitely exchange.

Also...what color, if I may ask? I've been eyeing the coral and baby pink Aqua Rouges.

butterblume

(0) Hearts

Iconic Red! I can't wear coral or pink to save my life, and I can't seem to get enough red lippies. I wanted to try the transfer-proof formula so I can finally kiss the husband without him looking like he's Jessica Rabbit after I'm done! But the entire line has gorgeous colors!

sparklekai

i don't think you're paranoid at all!!! i bought a stila kit for my 16 yr old cousins bday present...i opened it to put it in a makeup bag with a few other things and notice the eyeshadow was cracked.  When i looked closer there wer also fingerprints on it.  This made me look at the other items and 3 of the 5 had been used!!!

butterblume

(0) Hearts

Oh that is terrible! I am so sorry that happened to you!

dianabt

Yucks, so sorry to hear that butterblume :smileysad: If you want a reship right away please call us! We can definitely do so for you. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
butterblume

(0) Hearts

Thanks Diana, I'll just pop into the store and ask for an exchange.

kso1225

Don't feel bad about exchanging/returning it!  If you go to the store and a SA gives you a hard time about returning it, just reiterate to them that you don't want to risk your health by using a potentially contaminated product.  I really think they will understand given that they should know about sanitation and contamination risks with makeup.

I have been a little skeptical of used products being re-shelved lately.  Last time I was at my local Sephora store I saw a few of the MUFE aqua rouge sets that were on sale for $98, but the boxes looked pretty rough - like they had been opened. I wanted that set and was hoping it would come back in stock online, but I wasn't going to chance buying a set that looks like it could have been used by someone else.  The risk is probably very low, but I just can't do it.

butterblume

Especially for liquid lipsticks/glosses, there's no way to be sure. I ordered the Buxom Serial Kisser set online and it was sent to me in the velvet box but unsealed, and inside the little lipstick holder was put in backwards so I am reasonably sure it was a return/had been opened but I checked the lipsticks themselves and they appeared pristine so I was fine with it. I think you can generally tell when a lipstick has been used, but it's almost impossible with the liquid tubes. I definitely know how you feel.

YouAreAlways

Return!!!

jojobe

Call the Rouge hotline

missfawnie

Especially for an online order, you're not being paranoid at all!! 

People in fulfillment centers have no reason why they should be using/ even opening the product that they send you. If they do use it, it definitely shouldn't be sent to you. The nice thing about ordering online is knowing that your products are fresh from the warehouse. 

I would try to replace it. It's not crazy at all to ask for an exchange. 

butterblume

(0) Hearts

At first I thought, "maybe the box just got damaged" but it's not the kind of damage from being say, squished, it's damage from being open and torn so that's why I'm worried. I'm sure it wasn't the warehouse people who used it, maybe just a used return that fell through the cracks and got put back on shelves.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 29 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • jojobe
    • lmi82
    • dianabt
    • kso1225
    • kiml50