lilyyy

Accounts getting flagged for using too many gift cards?

I read about this somewhere on BT and it slightly concerns me. I just cashed out my reward points for 4 X $100 Sephora gift cards ($400 total). Hope that's not considered excessive! :smileyhappy:

BTW, use a credit union. It pays off!

drrragon

Re: Accounts getting flagged for using too many gift cards?

@lilyyy -- OMG girl you have a cc that issues sephora gift cards as a perk???  tell us which one it is!!!

ace2021

Discover does! Thats what I use for all my Sephora purchases because of the extra cashback. its great!

drrragon

(0) Hearts

Wow thanks for sharing your cc secrets girls! :smileyhappy:  I have to seriously consider applying for a Discover card now!

crayzeeRN

Discover does! Even better, during the holiday season right now, you get 10% back at Sephora when you use Shop Discover, which you then can turn back into a Sephora gift card :smileyhappy:

mommyto4

And the gift cards are discounted too through Discover!  It costs 45.00 for a 50.00 gift card.

shapeshifter

I'm certain that using lots of gift cards that youve gotten as gifts, purchased yourself or gotten as rewards are totally fine. Even using store credit gc's are fine if you make a return with receipt. You are entered into a third party database if you make a return without reciept. That's why they require your license to make the return. I understand it's to deter theives, but I would never do a return without receipt, I'd rather not have some sketchy database have all my info.

iknowitstoday

(0) Hearts

Oh man I make a ton of returns for several family members (with mobility issues) and also gifts they give me (that I probably end up buying for myself) would they tell you if you are flagged? 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

I think they are flagging the returns for gift cards because some people steal stuff from other stores and return to Sephora stores for store credit gift cards and then sell them on ebay. Or if you keep returning without a receipt  your account gets flagged to be watched for illegal activities which constitutes fraud. You can use all the cards you want and they have no real way of tracking your payment method, just what you return.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

In response to Jojobe, yes- if you are purchasing gc's off of e-bay (these can often be traced back to fraudulent accounts) make constant returns without a receipt, or send to freight forwarders (not allowed!) then thats the only reason you should have any worry. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
dianabt

Hello Lilyyy!

For now you can only redeem reward points towards deluxe samples or 250/500 point perks but not actually towards gift cards. Did you mean rewards points from a credit card company? Those are perfectly fine! :smileyhappy:

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions (the same goes for other BT users reading this post!), but not to worry, this won't be a problem. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lilyyy

Yes, I meant reward points from a credit card. Hope I didn't confuse anyone! I recently discovers that I can opt for Sephora gift cards which makes the beauty addiction all that more guilt-free. :smileywink:

lilyyy

OMG, I just placed an order and forgot to use my gift cards. Doh!

ghkim

(0) Hearts

i 'accidentally' do this sometimes so that i can have more to spend at sephora later!

jxw200

(0) Hearts

hahaha yes. i do this too :-P

Koofa

(0) Hearts

I get free gift cards from Swagbucks & Shopkick all the time.. smaller increments ($10 & $25 usually) but kind of often, nonetheless.. hope this isn't true either.

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

I dunno if this is true or not. My Boyfriend has probably bought me $1,000 in Sephora gift cards this year and I have for sure used them up. And everytime I call I am so paranoid I ask if I'm flagged for anything and so far I've been told my account is golden.

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

That's great to hear!

The major downside of BT is that I have become very paranoid about flagging--something that I did not even knew existed. I think I'll just try shopping happily (and often!) until something happens.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

lol, I think it's cuz we are on here all the time in BT. One rumor gets turned into gossip and gets blown up and suddenly ppl think it's true. I think it started with a post where one BTer say she heard it from a Sephora employee (we all know how reliable that is....) and dozens of ppl immediately jumped on it complaining and everyone started to assume it's actually happening. If someone's *did* get flagged, I would very much like to know. Otherwise it shouldn't matter. Even if it's discounted giftcard, *somebody* paid for it legally, and a giftcard is suppose to exchange hand so I don't see why whomever have the giftcard can't use it regardless of amount or number.

nebel

^exactly what Beauty Tester said. 

ChicDabbler

hahaha, it's like playing Telephone on BT, lol, except there's no time/participant limit and usually no one to correct it at end of the line.

And now I also have Rumor Has It by Adele stuck in my head, not a bad song to be stuck with......

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • jxw200
    • jojobe
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • lilyyy
    • ChicDabbler