kas045

A return with a lecture just what I wanted.

My Local Sephora is usually fantastic, never had a complaint about them... until today.

I returned 5 products in-store today.. from 4 separate purchases I made during spring fling. 2 unused and unopened... and 3 products I really disliked.

So the teller calls over the manager because it is a larger return, which I totally understand.. The manager looks at me and says.. You want to return all of these, you used them all.. and are returning them? Don't you know you can get samples so you don't waste so much product." and gives me an eye roll and a condescending look.

So I tell her that 2 are unused and the other 3 products were all skin care and did not work for my skin.. I thought used products that didn't work were able to be returned.. Is this not the case? Or does everyone, get a lecture when they return a product used?

Curious if you guys make returns of used products? I personally am really turned off getting samples from jars and such because people are constantly putting their dirty hands in to the product and them I am supposed to put that on my face. Just a gross thought for me.

Am I wrong in returning used Skincare?

ChicDabbler

Re: A return with a lecture just what I wanted.

[ Edited ]

Store CS are a hit or miss. There was once I brought a $70 cream for my mom and it left untouched for 3+ month, past the return dates, so I didn't think I would be able to return it, but the cashier didn't even bat an eyelash and was like "ok, sure!" Another time I got a $10 eyeshadow palette from black friday, swatched it and realized I have most of the shades it contains so I return it a week later, the cashier was giving me puppy eyes and examining the palette and staring at it and keep asking me am I SURE sure I want to return it. 

I do try to get samples before buying, even for skincare. With serum and cleanser it's easy to sanitize the pump/opening. With most moisturizers/masks, well, I just go for it. =X

kas045

(0) Hearts

Yea I agree, about the samples comment.. But if the product comes from their sample tub.. I don't want them.. It would amaze you how many people do not wash their hands after using the bathroom.. then think about the things you touched before you went to the Sephora store.. I touched.. money, the button to get my ticket.. my steering wheel then the doors to my car... and the mall and the park-ade. I am constantly using hand sanitizer.. but did the 75 people that touched the product wash their hands? I don't think so .. this is an idea that grosses me out majorly. If I knew, we weren't supposed to return a product after I tried it, I would be way more hesitant to buy expensive skin care from Sephora.

liv545

I'm having a similar dilemma, and I did get samples first! I used the 2 products a couple times with no allergic reaction so I snatched them up during the sale and now I'm breaking out really bad and don't know which is causing it. Sephora is supposed to be really great about returns, but honestly I don't avail myself of it because of what you're talking about now. It's a super bummer they gave you a hard time and I feel like it's unfair for them to treat you that way considering it is their company's policy to be accommodating.

kas045

They did take the products back.. and the SA that helped me was great.. the lecturer was the issue.  The SA was uncomfortable and was making small talk and apologizing the products didn't work out..r

andyhtrieu

Also, if you want to avoid this from happening again, just return your things on different days, if possible.

kas045

Yea I guess next time I will have too.. Except I am a nurse that works shift work.. I want to drive 30 minutes.. once not 5 times to make a return.  

doriangray

That's so rude and unnecessary.  The policy is there or it isn't.  

heartsmyface

Hmmmmm, maybe it's because they saw multiple items coming back and thought you were taking advantage? But if it was on multiple receipts it's understandable that you'd have coma into on multiple things. And there is not always someone to help you get samples. I sometimes feel a little uncomfortable asking. Sometimes the SAs want to help and others they avoid you and you feel as though you are chasing them down. 

I think all SAs need training in the tone they use with people. There's a difference between informing someone that you can do this service in the future for them and in making them feel guilty for not taking advantage of it. 

andyhtrieu

[ Edited ]

Sephora usually allows returns if the product has been used. It's just the manager and employee than can be stingy and rude. If they don't allow it, read the return policy to them and stare them in the eye

Panda168

[ Edited ]

"read the return policy to them and stare them in the eye"

images.jpg

pinkonyx

Totally agree. its the company's return policy, and the manager works for "the company" thus she needs to follow their return policy, and with a smile on  her face, not a tude and a lecture.  I hate when that happens. 

blushnglow

"...stare them in the eye" !!!  (as I hear dramatic music in the background!!  haha)  Oh, how I wish i had your sass andyhtrieu :smileyhappy:

kas045

(0) Hearts

haha agreed.. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 75 replies
  • 191 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • cyan8181
    • aviscardi
    • lylysa