Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

what were some of your first makeup items ?

i know we've had these sorts of threads floating around fairly regularly, but i figured i'd start a fresh one ! just some innocent reminiscing & nostalgia, partly inspired by mocha's "haunting" thread. i encourage anecdotes !!

my mother was open to me wearing makeup the moment i expressed interest in it (her parents wouldn't let her wear any until she was 17 or so) and i'm very grateful for that. things are a little better now, but in the late 90s there were no foundation options for super pale girls at the drugstore (perhaps more age appropriate for a 13 year old, but that's up for debate). i tried to do my thing, but my mother quickly intervened to stop my orange and demarked face and took me to--do you guys remember this ?--the prescriptives counter. i know that prescriptives went out of business, and now exists online or something, but at the time it was known as the counter you could go to to get a foundation custom mixed to match you. they had the color wheel that taught you all about tones, shades, undertones, etc. i remember my mom saying "people are going to tell you you're pale pink, BUT YOU'RE NOT". thanks mom--she was so right. the palest foundation was yellow rather than pink; i think i ended up not getting a custom mix but going with the palest one available in the regular range--i remember the shade was called ecru (i wish i had any evidence of it so i could see now if it was a good match or not; i frankly don't remember). it all came with a generous gift with purchase including a mascara and--what i remember the most and actually still had until just a few years ago--a lipstick that hadn't been in fashion since 1998.....until now. it was like a griege-dark plum duochrome. i'm not much into the metallic trend now, but i would kill to have that lipstick again ! i used to wear it in my room when i was feeling dark and broody but was too embarrassed to be seen.

a year and a half later, the first MAC counter opened in my city, i discovered their 'club' single eyeshadow, and the rest was history. i'll write about more of my first objects / distant memories down below 🙂

Re: what were some of your first makeup items ?

Do you guys remember Dippity-Do?

Once when I was really little (like 6-8 or so), my brother (who is 9 years older than me) was babysitting me and decided to set my hair on rollers with that stuff. I'm not even going to tell you how that went!

dippity-do_gal.jpg

Let's see.. I wasn't allowed to wear makeup when I live at home so I didn't start until I was 17 and had moved half way across the state for college. I was HORRIBLE at it because my mother didn't wear any makeup her whole life (still doesn't) so no one ever taught me :'( I started with some Neautrogena foundation 2 shades too dark for my  complexion, Maybelline black eyeliner for the waterline and covergirl mascara. When I finally figured out the foundation was too dark for me (took me about a year to realize this), I started mixing some Aveeno moisturizer with the foundation to lighten it up and I did that for about another year. I did visit Sephora often to check out what was new but I never bothered to ask for tutorials/advice since I was an ashamed, broke college student. Oh those memories haunt me! Why, oh, why didn't anyone tell me my face was darker than my neck?! lol All you can do is reflect on the past and laugh though. Great thread! 🙂

Man oh man, does this thread bring back memories lol. 

I started having pretty bad acne during my early teenage years and felt pretty insecure about any blemish or dark spot that remained after a pimple disappeared. I had a short stint on my schools cheerleading team during my junior year, and we were told that we'd be taking team photos. Of course, I got a huge pimple right smack in the middle of my forehead the week that we were taking our photos. Luckily the photos weren't being taken until Friday. I tried everything to reduce the little bugger...Over night spot treatments, toothpaste, over the counter spot treatments...you name it. I think all of my attempts began to reduce the size of the pimple, and by Friday it was probably 1/4 of it's original gargantuan size lol. The only problem? It started to darken underneath the skin and was still pretty red. Lucky for me, I have an older sister who was also familiar with teenage acne and shared her little secret with me: concealer and color correcters. I'm pretty sure the items she used were a drug store brand, but I remember being deathly afraid of wearing makeup and the idea of someone noticing (please note that I was an impressionable/insecure high school kid), but I hesitantly agreed to let her show me her magical ways. We went to our local Target around 9:30 PM, just thirty minutes before the closed, and literally sat on the floor in the makeup isle trying to figure out what shade would work for me. Five minutes before closing, we grabbed a shade that we felt matched me best, a green color corrector, and a small powder foundation compact as well. We got home and my sister worked her magic, and the discoloration and redness weren't noticeable! I had her show me exactly what she did the next morning just in case I'd need to do touch ups before the photos. I did have to touch up the makeup before my photos, and all of the girls were so impressed lol. I felt totally cool, and the pimple was nowhere to be seen in my photos!

Cheers!
Nikko

my first makeup was the Tinkerbell stuff like 

Tamara76 posted below. 

when i was 14 mom got my a bottle of clinique foundation and i wore it with my lip smackers vanilla scented white frost "lipstick"

i also wore ***soooo*** much glitter. We had a Sanario store in our mall and they would sell pots of huge hunky glitter with little shapes like moons and stars. i wore it every day for years. honestly, if they still made it i would still wear it!!

i was/ am Goth so i also used to use weird colored eye liner to doodle fun eyeliner shapes and swirls on my eyes and cheeks. 

i had those little skull nail polish bottles from Hot Topic and the (very stinky) Jack and Sally perfumes. 

my school dress code was very stringent about "unnatural" hair colors so i never got to wear Manic Panic until i was an adult. Now i *live* for the stuff and change my hair color all the time. 

How fun! I think my first makeup item was Maybelline Kissing Koolers Watermelon. I loved it!

What a great question!  All I can remember are first hair products...usually cast-offs my mom didn't want/  

Aussie Sprunch Spray

Finesse Mousse

Stiff Stuff Hairspray

Mine was Salon Selectives! Once in a while something will have that same apple-y manufactured smell and I'm at 8th summer camp all over again. 

"Like You've Just Stepped Out of a Salon!"

https://youtu.be/X7cGDWVG_Q0

(sorry I don't know how to embed a YouTube video while on mobile)

Mine too! It's still available at Big Lots on a pretty regular basis. I'd never go back to using it, but I do admit that I sniff it any time I wind up there (which is once or twice a year) lol

What a fun thread!!! 💗💗💗

My parents bought me Tinkerbell Makeup, Cologne and Peel-Off (!!!) Nail Polish as far back as I can remember (age 4 or 5 maybe) - does that count?

Found these pics online (not mine):

IMG_0789.JPGIMG_0790.JPG

Oof Tinkerbell!  Hitting me right in the feels Tamara.  I 110% had both of those sets growing up!

oh! thank you for the fond memory Tamara76! i was almost convinced i had made these products up!

i loooooooved them when i was little. 

im in my last year of high school nnow but this is what i remember. 

3rd/4th grade- lots of lipsmackers and eos balls

5th grade- revlon bb cream and powder in a shade that was wayyyy too light as well as sparkly green eyeliner on weekennds

6th grade- benefit foundation and loads of drugstore mascara

7th grade- clinique skincare, dior foundation and a loreal eyeshadow 

8th grade- benefit bad gal eyelinner and mascara

high school just mascara and sometimes giorgio armani foundation

Wow you were a really hip little kid! 🙂 That's an impressive timeline!

I don't remember exactly but I think it must have been eyeliner or mascara...

Probably Maybelline liquid liner, as well as their Full 'N Soft mascara. I started wearing makeup in Grade 10 (Sophomore? year) and slowly added more items over the years. Grade 11, some foundation to cover my hyperpigmentation from breakouts (back then, very limited).

I was never a big eye shadow wearer until the last year or so! I was probably using the most products over the last year... bronzer, contour, eye shadow, highlighter, base, etc.... yikes! I like makeup, yes, but because I work in an office, doing all this every morning was just getting a little cumbersome.

Now that I've cut foundation and a bunch of other products, my routine is much more manageable. Maybe one day I'll come around full circle and go back to only liner and mascara!

I have to say that I'm really impressed by anyone who could work up the nerve to go into a MAC store or to a counter at a young age. MAC was just so intimidating to me! I didn't start using any of their products until my very late 20s.

I was on the bus going to work and I watched a woman take out a compact of Studio Tech and touch up her face. Something about that was just so super sexy and sophisticated - touching up your look with that black compact in public like that. It struck such a chord with me that I finally went to MAC and bought my own Studio Tech. I still use and like that product and probably buy a new one once a year.

Oh man. I wasn't allowed to wear makeup growing up, but we always had these little tubs of Blistex on hand. These count, right?

blistex.jpg

I haven't seen these in years.

Ok now I'm also remembering...did anyone else have Club Libby Lu?  Maybe it was a Chicago area thing, but it was basically a place for little girls to go and get "makeovers".  You would go through the store and mix and bottle up your own products, and of course everything was colorful and sparkly.  It was like a sparkly fairy tale dream come true as a kid 🙂  So much nostalgia right now

upload_2421535097426712105.jpg

upload_271836515375339934.jpg

OMG this is awesome.  I was obsessed with my Maybelline Kissing Potion.  It was a sticky, gooey roll on lip gloss that I adored lol.

maybelline-kissing-potion.jpg

OMG! Yes!!!   I had the cherry one! ❤️   @AMK721

I admit I would totally buy these if I could still find them!

Conversation Stats
Photos24
  • tenderheart.jpg
  • hard-candy-old-school.jpg
  • Deep Dahlia.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.03.20 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.09.43 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.14.35 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.14.26 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.24.00 AM.png
  • 2502621.jpg
  • 1cb3953b514d95291d1307d0d19597e9.jpg