Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

save or splurge?

I was going thru my stash last night and discovered I had a wide range of price points for my products.  So I thought I'd make a question thread:  Which products do you save your money and which do you spend (an obsene) amount on?  

I used to save on shampoo and conditioner, but now that is a total splurge for me.  It really makes a difference for my hair.   I also splurge on eye and night cream as I think this is the most important part for me.  I also will splurge on foundations, and eyeshadows/liners.  

I tend to save on soaps and body washes, lotions, and lip gloss and chap stick.    I also save on shaving cream, nail polish remover, makeup remover wipes, and cotton balls.  (Although I just threw in a Sheseido cotton pack when at Ulta because I had to see what the hype was about.)  I also save on sunscreens and hair oils- although I'm all over the Macademia oil from Ulta tomorrow- love that stuff!)

I plan to edit this as I think of more items...

Edit:  I also save on mascara, micellar water, face masks, and skincare from The Ordinary (lately).

Re: save or splurge?

I'm a good consumer, I typically splurge on everything.  It's less because I think that drugstore products are bad but because I would rather buy things that I'm sure I'll love and things that would fit with the aesthetic of my blog.  I would say most things stay within the more mid-range, it still stings to buy an Armani foundaiton or a YSL lipstick.  

Splurge:

Haircare (my hair has been chemically lightened  8 times in 10 months, it needs all of the help it can get)

Foundation

Eyeshadow

Blushes, bronzers and highlighters

Lipstick

Lip balm

Most skincare 

Save:

Cotton products

Eyeliner (for the most part)

Mascara

Makeup wipes

Lip balm

Shaving cream

Micellar water

Having worked in the beauty industry for a quite a while I've found that I splurge on a lot of items because I had a discount/gratis products then fell in love with products that work well for me so I continue to purchase them when I run out of my backstock haha. I don't mind if they really help my skin because I'm very sensitive.

Splurge: toner (Lancôme Tonique Confort is my HG), serum, eye gels (love the Lise Watier ones), Exfoliator (Lancôme or Dr.Brandt), Masks (jars), night cream (Shiseido Beauty Sleep Mask <3333), eye palettes, concealer (no choice to really, extremely pale and DS brands never have a shade light enough-thanks NARS 🙂 ), hair masks/treatments

Save: cotton pads, nail polish, nail polish remover, contour powder, hairspray, shampoo, conditioner

Depends: face wash (haven't found my HG yet I switch between Lancôme, Biotherm/Clinique balms and a Neutrogena one), Lipstick (I have both, depends on quality over price for me really), mascara (using Lancôme but I have backstock gratis so when it runs out I love Covergirl Clean mascara in the green package), blush (same idea as lipstick), makeup remover (love Lancôme and bioderma but not picky for when my stuff runs out), sheet masks-love them all

Open to hearing about that Pixi spray too... we didn't have it where I used to live, I'd love to know more!) 

I tend to splurge more on skincare and makeup because I can usually tell there is a difference in quality. I hate telling my friends this because I get sooo many judgements!

SPLURGE:

Makeup (foundation, highlight, primer, etc)

Skincare (everything lol)

SAVE: 

Haircare (dry shampoo, shampoo, conditioner, etc)

Body Care (self tanning lotions, sunblock, lotions)

Makeup Brushes (Real Techniques, Elf, & BH Cosmetics makes my favorite ones!)

I tend to splurge on way more than I save. With most things, I find a definite gap in quality between price points. Also, a lot of what I buy is more mid-range anyway (with cosmetics), so it's a good balance between luxury and affordable. 

SPLURGE-

1. Skin care

2. Fragrance 

SAVE-

1. Basic toiletries (deodorant, toothpaste, cotton products, etc.)

2. Hair care/styling products

3. Sunscreen for body

I don't think I have these kind of categories really. What it does for my skin, hair, whatever... quality, benefits, and effects, are more important to me than the price point. If it works for me and beautifully, I will splurge on it. Or save on it. Depending which way the price goes. Price says nothing so many times. Especially when it comes to some high end, hyped up brands/products. There are plenty of pricey and hyped up products out there that are not all that and not worth it at all. And, so many nice, good, and quality affordable products on the other side, too.

I tend not to splurge on products that will end up going down the drain in general. But, it happens...

Even though I splurge a lot, I have to add that doesn't mean I spend recklessly and/or foolishly. I am quite selective and picky about what I use.

Save:

-MASCARA (So many drugstore ones I can't justify $20+ price tag for higher end)

-Shampoo and conditioner

-Body sunscreen

-Hairspray

Splurge:

-Eyeshadow palettes (I know you can probably save but eyeshadow is my favourite and I love palettes)

-Foundation (love my Clinique, but also love Loreal pro glow

-Concealer (two words: shape tape)

-Highlighter  

-Skincare

-Fragrance

-In the future will splurge on brushes (my Morphe ones do the job but are not the greatest and have all broken off the ferrule)

-Setting spray 

-Eye lash curlers

-Lip products (I know you can defs. save here but I find I always just use my higher end anyways so I stopped buying lower end for the most part) 

I know my list is basically splurge but to me splurge is just anything not at the drugstore, I only really buy higher end not luxury brands. 

Depends:

-Bronzer (love Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer but only one I have loved from drugstore)

-Eye primer (Essence eye primer, Nyx litter glue are so good but Mac 24 hour prep and prime is my go to with oily eyelids) 

-Eye shadow singles (Colourpop singles, nyx prismatic singles and loreal infallible shadows are so good) 

-Brow products (I use ABH dipbrow and Loreal brow stylist) 

@sydtomato   Is the hype about the Shape tape  for real?  Ive been eyeing it, but havent quite gotten around to ordering yet!

Save...shampoo, conditioner, lotion, deodorant, body wash, body sunscreen, mascara

Splurge...makeup, skincare, perfume, face cleansers, makeup brushes

This is such a fun thread @makeupobesessed. I have enjoyed reading all the 'saves' and taking some mental notes. 

Save:

Body wash- I just use drugstore brands like Dove

Body lotion-  Olay or Dove

Deodorant

Micellar water- Bioderma works the best for me

Mascara- I don't really buy any FS ones as I have an abundance of DS and GWP 😅

Splurge:

Makeup- my skin is sensitive to certain ingredients/composition and I find drug store brands break me out like crazy

Skincare-I didn't invest a lot of time or money into this category when I was younger but I'm definitely making up for lost time.

Shampoo/conditioner- I spend a little bit more on a salon brand so that my colours can last longer.

Makeup brushes- high quality brushes make such a big difference with makeup application.

Thanks!  Ive also really enjoyed reading everyone's saves and splurges.  Its giving me new ideas for savings.

I really love this - and reading some of these has encouraged me to try some new "saves". This is what I can think of for myself - 

Save: 

Body Wash - I love the Caress ones (especially Passionate Spell). Target often has deals where if you buy 4 you get a $5 gift card - if you factor that in, you can get 4 for $11. 

Deodorant

Shampoo/Conditioner

Lip Balm

Face cleanser 

Body sunscreen

Makeup Brush cleaner - Love the Shea Moisture African Black Soap

Face Oil - I make my own face oil. It's definitely not cheap, but it has no fillers like some other brands and definitely costs less overall. 

Splurge -

Makeup - I do have a couple NYX or Elf here or there, but for the most part my makeup is high end. I try to get items during sales or Ulta's events, but that is definitely a splurge. 

Lots of skincare - Vitamin C serum, daily and nightly moisturizer, chemical exfoliators, toners - all splurges, but to me worth it. 

Face sunscreen

Hair styling products

Makeup Brushes

Things I sometimes save on because of samples or point perks - Mascara, Hand Cream, Perfume, Lip products

Save:

- Eye makeup remover, body lotion, body wash, nail polish and remover, body sunscreen 

Splurge: 

- Cleanser, hair products, face oils, most makeup products, makeup brushes, deodorant (I wear natural so it's pricier)

I find natural deoderant does not work for me (I sweat like a "man".)

@Anonymous

It was quite a process finding one that works for me, honestly. I went through 4-5 that I didn't like at all because I felt like I still stunk. I found a brand I really like -- Les Couvent Des Minimes -- they used to sell it at Ulta but don't anymore. It's still not perfect though; I have to wait to put on a shirt after I put it on because it takes a solid 3 minutes to dry, but it's worth it to me for less chemicals! 

omg @JenSane, I didn't realize Ulta stopped carrying Le Couvent des Minimes!!!! That is SAD NEWS to me! My favorite. 😞

@makeupobesessed

I only save on 2 products with intent:

• Body wash - I quite like Neutrogena Rain bath and Trader Joes.  I am quite happy using them indefinitely.
  • Deodorant

In all other areas (skincare, makeup, hair etc) , I am not trying to splurge.....but I don't intend to save.  If they are good and worth the price to me, I will splurge.  If they are inexpensive and good...I am glad to save.

It is not really the price point but the ingredients.  Some things are high quality and cost little money while others are subpar and cost a ton.

It is all trial and error!

The only things I actively stay away from are cheap body products like from Bath & Body Works. Yes, they smell good but for me I want to nourish myself.  

Your skin absorbs everything!  I try to buy this stuff organic and for convenience I pick it up at the grocery store.  So, it is not costing me a ton!

Splurge: Essentially anything that comes in contact with my face is a splurge. This includes makeup and especially skin care. There are a few exceptions, noted below. Makeup tools and perfume are also a splurge for me. 

Save: Eyeliner pencils, lip liners, lip balm, brow products, blotting papers, nail polish, basic toiletries (cotton rounds, hand soap, etc), body lotion, sheet masks, candles, hair brushes/combs, heat styling tools, dry shampoo.

One thing to note is that I only buy cruelty free brands and they seem to cost more all together. 

I can imagine totally cruelty free means paying more for the limited amount of brands.  i try to go for cruelty free, but I am sure in some inadvertent way, there is some cruelty somewhere...

I splurge on pretty much everything. For items I don't splurge on, it's usually because they get really hyped up by youtubers and I fall for the hype! But there are no distinct categories where I splurge or save. It's just the odd item I'll buy from the drugstore.

65 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing