nanobear18

airline beauty??

so if you are like me, you constantly are on youtube. and most of the time, you watch beauty videos. i see so many "gurus" that do airplane beauty routines, and i was wondering if any of us here on beauty talk do a similar thing. like bust the treatments, cream, masks (?????), etc. on the plane. and have you ever seen people on flights do so? i haven't flown on a plane since i was about 8, so i've never dealt with being all beauty obbsessed and in the air yet. so how do you guys handle airline beauty? :smileyhappy:  

drrragon

Re: airline beauty??

i bet this would've kept him away! 

ist2_1601745-face-pack-mud-mask-with-kiwi-skin-care.jpg

photo's from theuselesstrip.blogspot.com, i just googled for "mud mask" and that came up

ChicDabbler

kiwi?!?! Ok, so I've tried cucumber and it's fine, but kiwi is acidic. What would happen if it's a juicy one and the acid gets in your eyes?!?! *cringe*

LOL, that's a very thorough mask. I never apply mask to my neck, under the jaw, or between my nostrils. It was really awkward once when I had a cold, and I REALLY need to blow my nose...except I just put on mud mask.

lylysa

LOL! I HATE when I have to blow my nose when I have a mask on!!!! First world beauty problems!

lylysa

That or maybe inspired him to take a snack break!

drrragon

LOL!  doing a mud mask and putting cucumber slices over my eyes would certainly prevent any over-talkative people from trying to disturb my beauty sleep during the flight!  they might even ask to switch seats if they were freaked out enough...

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Oh I so need to try that. You know how it sometimes gets really cold midflight? the guy sitting next to me decided to warm himself up by plastering his legs/arm right against mine and started talking to me. I was working on my laptop at that time, so he then started commenting on my presentation (uh, hello privacy?), so I decided to close the presentation and turn off the computer. He saw the background, painting of a green fairy with translucent wings, smirked and said "so, you like fairies?" I don't think he's being intentionally annoying (just really cold), but it was annoying and I would've told him to take a hike if he wasn't wearing an army uniform and I wasn't feeling a tad sorry for him (it was seriously cold, I was wearing a jacket he was not).

lylysa

It's one thing to strike up casual conversation on a plane, but another thing to start invading someone else's space and even touching them in any sort of way! Especially if you weren't throwing out signs of "Sure, go right on ahead!"

Some people just have no sense of respecting other people's boundaries.

ChicDabbler

lol, he was seriously shivering tho and if the space allows, he'd probably be in fetal position.

In any case, I think I come off as an aloof person (unless I'm super hyper) so people on the plane usually don't bother me (the bad is I'm kind of a party pooper/wall flower at parties). Meh, pros and cons.

lylysa

Shivering or not, you can't go just cuddling up to strangers! :smileytongue:

That's when he should have asked for extra blankets and turned the air vent away from him. Maybe even gotten a hot cup of tea.

xalexandriax

I'm lazy. All I do is put on mascara after the plan ride, or just re-curler them if I applied it earlier. Also, I apply moisturizer sometimes but my lipbalm is my best friend when I am in the air. OH, and the Lush Tea Tree Toner spray is also good to use as well, it is refreshing. 

janinebt

[ Edited ]

I almost never wear makeup when I go on a flight, just because usually there's a lot of napping/resting my head on my hands. I've never done a mask, but that actually sounds like a wise idea. Planes dry the skin out so badly, this would be a sure fire way to help prevent that.

My main beauty staples for the plane are usually just: hand lotion, plently of water, lip balm, and a small facial mist.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
prettyinpa

When I fly, it's usually cross country and I have to fly out on the earliest possible flight, so I skip makeup before I get to the airport. I've tried before and made a huge mess trying to get liner and mascara on at 4AM! I'll slap on some anti-aging treatment with SPF (My new favorite is La-Roche Posay Redermic/+ SPF 30) to protect against sun damage while flying.

If I get through security in a reasonable time I put on mascara, blush and liner in the bathroom, otherwise I skip it until I get to my hotel at the destination. I haven't ever scared the people at the car rental (lol) so I guess makeup isn't essential.

I put disinfecting wipes, hand cream with SPF, one of those finger toothbrushes and blotting papers in my handbag for quick tidiness on the plane. That's about it, I think I would freak out my husband if I tried doing a mask on the plane, I save those for the privacy of home by myself. Especially the black or green ones!

lylysa

LOL! I can only imagine sitting on a plane and looking over to see someone with a mud mask and cucumber slices over ones eyes!

prettyinpa

@Lylysa-  Ha, maybe that would freak out those seat pests who manage to take up their seat and half of mine! They always smell bad, too!

lylysa

If it's an early flight, I skip applying make up right away. Instead, I cleanse, tone, treat, use an eye cream and moisturizer and go as is.

On the plane it's nice get a cup of tea or even bring tea bags on hand and brew a cup then use the bags over your eyes during the last hour or so of the flight to help with any puffiness or calming of fluid retention over the course of the trip. I also love Origins Drink Up Intensive Mask (the one in a green tube, don't think Sephora has it on their site, but you can get it online and at Origins) as it's a leave on mask that can be applied and absorbed like a deep moisturizer. LOVE this stuff. It's my go-to for winter weather care, I layer it over my regular moisturizer at night when I go to bed or in the day when I know it's windy/extra cold out. It's perfect on a plane because it's still a mask/treatment, but there's no messy rinse or application, on one will even know you have a "mask" on.

I keep a thick lip balm available and handy because being in the air is so dehydrating.

If the flight is later in the day and I'm able to go with make up, I keep a small mist bottle with a hydrating toner (Philosophy Hope Springs Eternal) and spray during the flight to keep vitamins, minerals, and skin well hydrated.

houseofdiorxo

I travel a few times a year and always love seeing everyones responses to these travel-related questions! For myself, since I usually fly overseas, I don't wear too much makeup while flying. Here's a list of the "basics" I would have on board with me:

1) Minimal Makeup- I do wear a little bit of lip gloss and mascara (just to brighten up the eyes and lips a bit). But, I don't wear a foundation or any types of blushes or powders because being on such long flights and considering how dry the air is, my skin would get very oily.

2) Blotting linens- If you do choose to wear some makeup, or even if you just want to get some oil excess of of your face I would consider investing in some blotting linens. I use the Boscia Blotting Linens and always have them in my carry-on just in case! 

3) Perfume- I love to wear the Viva La Juicy Rollerball scent when traveling. It is the perfect size and is not so strong that it annoys the people around you. Any kind of rollerball is so great to have, and if there is a layover, you can touch up your scent and be fresh as new!

4) Lip balm- My lips get really dry super fast when I'm on a flight, and so having good lip moisturizers is a must. My go-to products include the Jouer Lip Enhancer, an EOS lip balm and a Maybelline Baby Lips.

5) Hand products- I try not to use very scented hand products when flying because I know the passengers around me probably wouldn't like it, so a hand cream that smells very natural/no scent at all is my preference.  Also, hand sanitizer or baby wipes is a great thing to have in your carry on because of all the germs.

6) The Essentials- I also make sure I have with me Colgate Wisps, Kleenex, floss, Twist Bands, gum, and of course magazines! 

Hopes this helps for anyone looking for ideas! Thanks again for posting this thread, it's a great topic! xx

dianabt

I have never thought of using a face mask or anything during a flight but thats a great idea.. I'd probably feel a little silly but for as often as I fly I've never seen or had the same stewards twice. :smileyhappy:

I usually make sure to carry a makeup wipe or two in a baggie, 3 lipbalms (always the most important staple for me!) a sleeping eye mask, breath mints or those mini wisp brushes, and an extra cream makeup in case my skin feels dehydrated and I don't have a mini face spray.

But now that you mention it, applying a hydrating face mask would be GREAT to do! :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
katie1724

These are great suggestions --

If I'm flying at night (or through the night, and I'll be sleeping), I never wear foundation. During the day, I pare down my normal routine to sunscreen (this is important) and basics like eyeliner, lip gloss, etc. My skin gets so oily when I'm flying (and some people have skin that dries out -- so it really depends on how your own behaves) that I really try to minimize both the skincare and cosmetic products that I use.

I don't really have any in-flight masks or eye treatments, but I will say that a good lip balm is key (because my lips do get dry).

babybear04

I'm actually flying to Florida tomororw, so the timing of this post is excellent!  I actually travel quite a bit (at least 5-10 times a year roughly) and have a pretty solid beauty routine for my airplane adventures.  While I don't do anything super extravagent on planes like masks or treatments, I do make sure to carry a few essential beauty staples with me whenever I'm flying:

1. First of all, my number one absolute must is lipbalm. My lips are generally always dry, but especially on airplanes.  Sometimes when there's heavy turbulance I tend to get nervous, and licking my lips is one thing I do when I'm anxious...therefore resulting in dry lips. So at least one plain lipbalm is necessary to hydrate lips, but I sometimes carry a tinted balm or gloss as well to freshen up lips as soon as we land.

2. Eye drops. I get super dry and itchy eyes everytime I fly, so it's essential for me to have drops. Thankfully they come in such small tubes it's easy for me to bring on the plane!

3. Oil blotting sheets.  I always joke that I am the "exception, not the rule" when it comes to beauty products.  Most products that work for most people don't work for me, and in this case, most people get super dry and stuffy on planes and my skin gets super duper oily. Therefore, blotting sheets are essential for me during flights, especially long ones!

4. Gum and listerine spray. First of all, gum is awesome for helping "pop" ears when the cabin pressure changes. Also, if you tend to get nervous when flying which I sometimes do, it kinda helps give you something else to do/focus on.  Also, I don't know if you guys have heard of/seen/tried the listerine pocket sprays, but I honestly don't ever leave the house without one. It's just like a quick spray of listerine to freshen breath, and I also like it because it's kind of like a quick kick and helps to waken me up! So I definitely never travel without these!

I tend to keep all of these in a small plastic baggy for security purposes so I can just whip them out when going through security.  It's also convenient to access all of the necessities during flight since it's a pain in the butt to have to pull your bag from underneath the chair and rumage around your bag looking for your little thing of balm!

Lastly, I have somewhere very important to be directly after my flight, I bring a small makeup bag of basics like foundation and/or powder, blush, black eyeliner, mascara, and gloss.  Sometimes I will also add in a small thingy of perfume, and a travel-sized deoderant.  Then after my flight I just rush into the bathroom and freshen up!

Happy and safe travels to anyone traveling this holiday season!

sephoramusthave

I really dont wear makeup when I'm flying, especially when its a long, non direct flight. But I do wear moisturizer because the air up there dries out my skin like crazy.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 47 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • nanobear18
    • dianabt