Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

Bump!

Bump!

Eyebrow pencils!

- (korean brand) Mamonde eyebrow pencil: so inexpensive and a more sheer black/gray that fits my eyebrow hair color.

- Nars Brow Perfector: again they have black as one of their options which I love. It doubles as liner in a pinch. I only need a few light strokes to fill them in.

I know Nars blush is generally well liked, but I want to sing the praises about how PERFECT it is for monochromatic looks. Isadora (LE sarah moon collection) and Taj Mahal (permanent, shimmery orange) is my faves. I'll use my finger (or brush) to apply on my lids, use for draping/blusher and then finish by adding a little of the blush directly (via finger) to already lip balmed/glossed lips. 

(korean brand!) Aritaum sells this face mist called Baby Face Mist: hyaluronic acid. It refreshes and adds moisture to my face when it's hot and my face feels tight and dehydrated. 

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm - if any of you have ever had the issue of foundation not properly sticking to your nose, then you've GOT to give this a whirl. It's a sticky primer but I think that's a good chunk of what does the trick.

By Terry Hyaluronic Powder - oh geez, where were you my whole life!? I'm a chronic smiler (the opposite of RBF) and therefore even though I don't have intense fine lines, my foundation/concealer has always creased to Oblivion. Somehow, this powder makes that not happen!? 

Ren Glycol-lactic Radiance Renewal Mask - I'm certain that if you ran a search of BT for this product, you'll find 10+ posts of me talking about it. Used daily, it transformed my face!

L'Oreal Voluminous Primer - I will never drop $20+ on a mascara primer again. This works as well if not better than more expensive brands (this might not be a hidden gem but it bears mentioning anyway!)

Tarte Pro Lash adhesive - now for a high end product (well, mid-range) that replaces drugstore - Duo was my go-to, and I just assumed I would have to sing a 4-minute song every time I waited for my lash glue to be "ready". Not with this glue! No more time wasted, and it's a perfect lash glue.

Ouhhh, thanks for the nose primer suggestion!  

one of mine is tarte's gifted mascara. i literally know no other person that uses it religiously, and i hardly ever see it discussed on boards. but i love it. it's magic for my lashes.

I love the wet n wild megaliner in black and the white one is good too. It dries matte and it doesnt transfer. I love it! Its soooo black too.

i thought of two of mine today.

MAC eyeliner, teddy. i almost always reach for black liner, but by habit / mood. but when i use teddy (a creamy chocolatey brown), i always love it. and while it's not an everyday thing for me -- i always have a teddy pencil *somewhere*. and it's just as sultry and lovely as black. 

REN rosa centifolia hot cloth cleanser. i never put this on a favorites, never put this on an HG list. and that's just dumb. i haven't been without this cleanser in 2 years ! unsung hero indeed. this is my shower cleanser. i typically use it like a mask as i'm shaving / whatevering, utilizing the steam of the shower. i even panic if i'm running low by the mere thought of not having it. 

Great thread!

-Laura Mercier Flat Eyeliner brush is my favorite brush to tight line with. It is the perfect combo of small, thin-flat, and soft. I've found other brushes to be stiff and cause my eyes to water. I use this with everything- cake liner, gel liner, and with pencils by swiping the product across the bristles.

-Jin Soon Power Coat nail base coat. This helped my mom's nails grow- and nothing works on her. My nails naturally grow long, but this makes them stronger and less likely to peel. They are rediculously durable, and my manicures rarely chip. I'm so in love, it's the only base coat I've used all year; and I have no desire to switch it up

-Shiseido Urban Environment Oil Free UV 42 for Face. This stuff and s great for every day. It is light and fluid, dries to a matte finish, doesn't get sun-screen shiny, and works as a great primer under makeup. I feel like it de-emphasizes my large cheek pores. Plus, it doesn't feel like a layer-too-many after moisturizer plus foundation. 

image.jpeg

i am obsessed with the LM flat eyeliner brush too@playingdressup! i even use it to fill in my eyebrows with her gel color...weirdly works like a charm!

@michelleshops jogged my memory about another 2 Sephora Collection products that I love but I don't hear much chatter about:

http://www.sephora.com/stylographic-fine-line-micro-thin-felt-liner-P419013?skuId=1869080&keyword=SE...

The fine line felt liner is my favourite super skinny liquid liner.  I often prefer a very delicate wing for enhancing my lash line and this one is perfect for creating that without people being able to notice the line.

Also, the bright future concealers:

http://www.sephora.com/bright-future-gel-serum-concealer-P398009?skuId=1686062&icid2=products%20grid...

They have such a great thin but spreadable texture and an amazing shade range. Bonus points for being able to buy 2 of these for every 1 tube of my old favourite NARS concealer.  

I feel like the Sephora Collection line has quite a few unsung heroes, but it takes some digging to find them 😄

@Mochapj I'm still on the search for a new liner since Stila randomly started driving my eyeballs crazy. I'll have to order this one, thanks for the tip!

@Mochapj I haven't tried the liner but I do own the concealer! I love both my Nars RCC and the Gel Concealer for different reasons, but both are quite amazing. I've got to check out that Felt Liner though. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT it's really good! I hope you like it!

NYX 'Collection Noir Liquid Black Liner'.

IMG_0445.JPG

I've tried a lot of liquid liners, including ones from KVD and Stila, and none of them perform as well as this one. It's pigmented, doesn't apply streaky, lasts all day.. HG status 🙂

I thought of something, my Sephora Collection retractable brow pencil!  No one ever talks about these little guys but they're fantastic.  Super easy to use, budget friendly ($12 USD) and a pretty decent array of colors that don't run super warm.  It does have a comb instead of a traditional spoolie but I'm willing to forgive that. If you need a new brow product, I highly recommend checking these out! 

http://www.sephora.com/retractable-brow-pencil-waterproof-P286513?skuId=1317395&icid2=products%20gri...

#notsponsoredbutitsoundslikeit 

I read from Notcreative a few posts about Egyptian Magic.  I finally got around to ourchasing it once I saw it in Target, despite its price.  I am happy I did, becasue it is better than my vaseline trick for my heels and also helps my cuticles and elbows.  I put this stuff on overnight and it helps make it considerably softer.  I dont hear much about it anymore (now that NC is taking abreak) but it is def an "un-sung hero" of mine!

Also- MB's version of the pink sulpher spot treatment is a big hero for me when I have a spot on my face.  I used to buy Kate Somerville but MB 's works just as good for a fraction of the price, especially when Ulta has their sales.

@makeupobesessed I LOVE Egyptian Magic too! I put it on my feet at night and wear socks to bed and it has helped so much. I've even used it on super dry areas of my face before.

Jouer's under-tone specific Ready to Wear palettes are amazing.  The Cool Toned Palette has become totally indispensable to me.

Despite having a bazillion options, I keep reaching for it almost every busy morning because it's got blush, eye shadows, highlighter, bronzer all in a little square palette of goodness. And, all the colors are flattering and work together beautifully.

I've bought four backups because I never want to be without an option that is this quick, easy, and foolproof.

I've been looking at those ready to wear palettes forever because I love small all in one palettes.  And when they went on sale recently I really had to hold myself back from purchasing because I know i technically don't need it.  But this comment finally sealed the deal and I just ordered both.  oops!

163 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg
  • IMG_1094.JPG
  • boudoir.jpg