YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

(0) Hearts

Great thread!

-Laura Mercier Flat Eyeliner brush is my favorite brush to tight line with. It is the perfect combo of small, thin-flat, and soft. I've found other brushes to be stiff and cause my eyes to water. I use this with everything- cake liner, gel liner, and with pencils by swiping the product across the bristles.

-Jin Soon Power Coat nail base coat. This helped my mom's nails grow- and nothing works on her. My nails naturally grow long, but this makes them stronger and less likely to peel. They are rediculously durable, and my manicures rarely chip. I'm so in love, it's the only base coat I've used all year; and I have no desire to switch it up

-Shiseido Urban Environment Oil Free UV 42 for Face. This stuff and s great for every day. It is light and fluid, dries to a matte finish, doesn't get sun-screen shiny, and works as a great primer under makeup. I feel like it de-emphasizes my large cheek pores. Plus, it doesn't feel like a layer-too-many after moisturizer plus foundation. 

image.jpeg

@michelleshops jogged my memory about another 2 Sephora Collection products that I love but I don't hear much chatter about:

http://www.sephora.com/stylographic-fine-line-micro-thin-felt-liner-P419013?skuId=1869080&keyword=SE...

The fine line felt liner is my favourite super skinny liquid liner.  I often prefer a very delicate wing for enhancing my lash line and this one is perfect for creating that without people being able to notice the line.

Also, the bright future concealers:

http://www.sephora.com/bright-future-gel-serum-concealer-P398009?skuId=1686062&icid2=products%20gridSmiley Tongue...

They have such a great thin but spreadable texture and an amazing shade range. Bonus points for being able to buy 2 of these for every 1 tube of my old favourite NARS concealer.  

I feel like the Sephora Collection line has quite a few unsung heroes, but it takes some digging to find them Smiley Very Happy

@Mochapj I haven't tried the liner but I do own the concealer! I love both my Nars RCC and the Gel Concealer for different reasons, but both are quite amazing. I've got to check out that Felt Liner though. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

(0) Hearts

@MariekeBT it's really good! I hope you like it!

NYX 'Collection Noir Liquid Black Liner'.

IMG_0445.JPG

I've tried a lot of liquid liners, including ones from KVD and Stila, and none of them perform as well as this one. It's pigmented, doesn't apply streaky, lasts all day.. HG status Smiley Happy

I thought of something, my Sephora Collection retractable brow pencil!  No one ever talks about these little guys but they're fantastic.  Super easy to use, budget friendly ($12 USD) and a pretty decent array of colors that don't run super warm.  It does have a comb instead of a traditional spoolie but I'm willing to forgive that. If you need a new brow product, I highly recommend checking these out! 

http://www.sephora.com/retractable-brow-pencil-waterproof-P286513?skuId=1317395&icid2=products%20gri...Smiley Tongue

#notsponsoredbutitsoundslikeit 

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I read from Notcreative a few posts about Egyptian Magic.  I finally got around to ourchasing it once I saw it in Target, despite its price.  I am happy I did, becasue it is better than my vaseline trick for my heels and also helps my cuticles and elbows.  I put this stuff on overnight and it helps make it considerably softer.  I dont hear much about it anymore (now that NC is taking abreak) but it is def an "un-sung hero" of mine!

Also- MB's version of the pink sulpher spot treatment is a big hero for me when I have a spot on my face.  I used to buy Kate Somerville but MB 's works just as good for a fraction of the price, especially when Ulta has their sales.

@makeupobesessed I LOVE Egyptian Magic too! I put it on my feet at night and wear socks to bed and it has helped so much. I've even used it on super dry areas of my face before.

[ Edited ]

Jouer's under-tone specific Ready to Wear palettes are amazing.  The Cool Toned Palette has become totally indispensable to me.

Despite having a bazillion options, I keep reaching for it almost every busy morning because it's got blush, eye shadows, highlighter, bronzer all in a little square palette of goodness. And, all the colors are flattering and work together beautifully.

I've bought four backups because I never want to be without an option that is this quick, easy, and foolproof.

I've been looking at those ready to wear palettes forever because I love small all in one palettes.  And when they went on sale recently I really had to hold myself back from purchasing because I know i technically don't need it.  But this comment finally sealed the deal and I just ordered both.  oops!

[ Edited ]

Kerala Ayurveda.  

Ever since I am little I had a fascination with oiling myself.  I used to sneak the olive oil from the kitchen into my bedroom at night and oil my entire body and wake up the next morning baby soft.  

Then I read what I believe was the Body Shop book at a spa in my teens.  I think her initial principles were on Ayurveda. Or, maybe it was one of those Aveda spas. (can't remember exactly since I am old lady now)  lol!

I always try to follow Ayurveda lifestyle and spent most of my 20's and early 30's near India to have easy access to Ayurveda hospitals in Kerala.  I would check-in for 3-4 weeks and complete Panchakarma.  Sadly, no such thing exist in America.  

It is oiling in its oldest form.  Big pots of warm medicated oils prescribed just for you rubbed into every inch  of your body.  Even your orifices.  (TMI..???)  lol!!!  Panchakarma is NOT for shy people.

I would tell you the benefits (especially for a Vata like myself), but then that is like a book! ;')

Yea, Kerala Ayurveda because in America it is simply treated as another 'massage.'   It is so much more than that!  You literally spend like 3-4 hours in the AM getting oiled by 2-3 nurses.  Then you break for lunch and nap since this is very exhausting on the body.  In the early afternoon you have your 'specialized' treatment.  

This is when they work on just one area or treat a specific ailment.  One example for me is my TMJ. So, they oiled inside my ears to lubricate my jaw area.  It works.

You eat the most delicious healing Indian foods. (this is not a fat farm where they starve you!)  It is all so heavenly. 

Spoiler
ayu2.jpgayu1.jpg

Oooh.. I feel like Chantecaille as a whole doesn't get a lot of love. People tend to have a strong opinion about their save the animals palettes, but the other products don't get talked about much at all. I love the brow pencil which is perfectly natural brown - as someone who colors my hair A LOT it's nice to have a brow pencil that works with everything! Also the Lip Slicks are quite nice! 

[ Edited ]

Here are some things that I love that nobody really talks about.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

- Patchology hydrating sheet mask - the only mask that makes an absolute and immediate difference in my skin.

- Shiseido Glow Primer - this is a very nice illuminating primer that has never given me slippery skin like some illuminating products do

- MUFE aqua matic eye pencils - I LOVE these, why does no one talk about them? I have 4 and the consistency is a little different on each but they're all very pigmented and waterproof. The blue one is not messing around.

- Maria Badescu Cellufirm Drops - I still cannot explain why I love these so much, they just make my skin look and feel better

- Luxie Beauty Brushes- I love all the ones that I've tried. They're very soft, durable, cute, and they have a wide range of brushes. I think you get an excellent brush for a decent price. They also very frequently have 20-25% off sales. I got all mine during 50% off black friday.

- Lavett and Chin Coconut Moisturizing Facial Mist - I haven't heard anyone talk about this brand on BT. This isn't the most amazing spray ever but it smells delicious and is very delightful to use

- Inglot Contour Powder - This is the ONLY contour powder I use and probably will ever use. I have the shade 503, it's perfect for my pale neutral skin.

- Basin White Body Butter - I love these and get them at disney. This scent is Pink Sugar and it smells like if cotton candy could be sultry. (It doesn't have yellow pollen on it, the light was shining through my yellow clarins oil lol)

(0) Hearts

My boyfriend LOVES the Lavett and Chin Coconut Moisturizing Facial Mist!! He is crazy about mists and this is his all time favorite. 

(0) Hearts

The pathology sheet masks are lovely, I have considered the MUFE eye pencil but wasn't sure so will have to look at them again. 

@ShannonAlexis i have a few luxie brushes, and i love them! they have held up great over time, and the pink is gorgeous!

@ShannonAlexis Talk to me about MB Cellufirm Drops! I've had my eye on them. How do you incorporate them into your routine? 

@TKLJ in place of a serum generally. I have no idea what I'm doing though!

Usually I do Cleanser -> Caudalie SOS Serum or The Ordinary nac+zinc serum -> Cellufirm Drops -> eye cream -> moisturizer

In the mornings if I'm in a hurry I will use them instead of a serum+moisturizer. Foundation products sit fine on top of them.

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

Luxie's pink brushes are so gorgeous. I'm dying to try them some day!

Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg
  • IMG_1094.JPG
  • boudoir.jpg
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg