Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

I used to use the shiseido under my makeup! I will repurchase it have a few deluxe samples to work through. I'm pretty pale also 😆. The real techniques settig brush is awesome and very versatile.

"I'm so pale that it's practically a color corrector" bahahaha.

Hi all!!

I'm an oily dude, so I love trying out anything that keeps the oil at bay. I talk about Urban Decay's Original Primer Potion all the time, but I would definitely have to say it's one of my unsung heroes in terms of the way I'm using it. I know it's used to keep your eyeshadow in place, but I use it to keep the oil on my lids in check. I know I've mentioned this on Beauty Talk before, but dabbing a little bit on my eyelids helps keep the oil from slipping into my eye (which If you're as oily as me you'll understand how much that can sting, and it's definitely lightweight scary when driving lol). But anyways, I'm in love with this stuff...not so much the new packaging with applicator wand though. It kinda makes a big mess when trying to take the wand out of the tube. I've also tried out the anti-aging formula, and I found that it wasn't as tacky, and wasn't as effective for what I need it for. 

Cheers!
Nikko

I'Great tip for oily lids as I have a pair myself that can get extremely oily during no makeup summer. I m not a fan of the new applicator either. I think the older squeez tube one was more hygienic and easy to work with.

@NikkoBT this is such an amazing tip, thank you!!!

I've always noticed on days I go eye makeup free that my oily lids eventually drip down into my eyes and blur my vision, so I'm totally going to try this next time.

@Mochapj Let me know how it works out for you or if you have another primer that you love using!

Cheers!
Nikko

@NikkoBT I also use an eyeshadow primer to keep oil at bay, even when I'm not wearing eye shadow!

I've used Primer Potion and like it (prefer something a tiny bit tacker that dries down more though) but agree with you that the wand is a not-so-good change.

@k617 Omg yay! I'm glad to hear that this works for you too 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

UDPP was my first high-end purchase after I saw a very early YouTube beauty guru plugging it about 10 years ago. It's such a life changer! I have some old tubes stockpiled, but I'm worried when I'll have to start using the repackaged version. @NikkoBT

@TKLJ I have a couple tubes stashed away as well, and when I picked up a travel size version to throw in my backpack, and I was saddened to find that it had the applicator wand. Still works, just kinda messy 😞

Cheers!
Nikko

Fun! I use the KVD setting powder brush whenever I set my foundation and I always get excited when I reach for it. It's just SO fluffy and makes me feel like a princess when I'm setting my foundation! 

I have been using the Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil for about one year and I am obsessed. It's easy to use and I really like the way the product applies because it's hard to overdo it. The shape and formula make it easy to define my brows in one motion and the packaging is sturdy which is apparently very important because it means my spoolie is still intact. For some reason, all of my other brow pencils have missing caps and broken spoolies 😄 

I'm sure I'll think of more to add, thanks for this fun thread @jemly!

I love Arch brow for the same reason @KatieBT  It is so sturdy. I have kept my finished one as well and use its spoolie to smooth out my brows when I am using a pomade.

Most of mine are ones people rave about a lot, but no one ever seems to talk about the Julep stick blushes. They apply easily and blend really well. The peach shade is super light for those with pale skin and the darker shades can be blended out pretty well too.

Off topic but: omg I love your icon @purly! Xayah and Rakan 😄

Oh awesome, a fellow League player? I'm a zyra support main.

Hi @jemly and all,

My unsung hero is the Ciate London Chisel Liner High Definition Tip Eyeliner. I deep down, feel that this eyeliner is better than the Stila Stay All Day Eyeliner! I find it very easy to use, super pigmented and does not smudge once it dries down. I like that the tip is not flexible like a felt tip liner or brush tip liner  but is more firm, and find that it is easier to control. 

My winged liner looks bomb.com when I use this! (That's right, I said BOMB.COM!) 

I have never seen anyone in BeautyTalk talk about it and it makes me so sad! Someone try this and tell me how you like it so we can share the love! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

Oh, I'm intrigued! I used the Stila for years, but haven't used a liquid liner in years. I'll have to check it out. @JaneanBT

I have one drugstore and three high-end!

• Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream. I've been on a BB cream odyssey for the last couple years and no matter what I try I keep coming back to this one. So lightweight and smooth -- very natural-looking, but with just enough coverage to do a little blurring and even things out. Not bad at all for $7ish!
  • Stila One-Step Correct primer. This one just plain does what it says. It's not a miraculous level of color-correction, but it gives my foundation a nice head start, plus it's lightweight and moisturizing and fun to look at.
  • Smashbox Halo Powder. I don't even know how I found out about this because no one ever talks about it and I'm pretty meh on Smashbox as a brand, but I'm so glad I did. It mattifies and blurs SO well. I use it both with and without liquid foundation underneath and it's lovely either way, and I really like that it dispenses by twisting up so you don't have the issue of excess loose powder just waiting to explode whenever you open it.
  • Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight Celestial Powder. I tried to get into the bold highlight trend, but it just didn't suit me. I picked this up recently on a whim, though, and it's PERFECT. So subtle and pretty -- really more of a glow than a highlight. I'm in love.

KA Candlelight is a perfect toned down, on the go highlighter for me as well.

KA Candelight is so good! I am totally with you on that haha @TopazBeth

@TopazBeth Candlelight is the only thing I've ever been talked into by Jaclyn Hill, and I don't regret it. It really is perfect and foolproof.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg
  • IMG_1094.JPG
  • boudoir.jpg