Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

Great thread!  I'm a lip balm junkie. So I like to try new ones but my HG can never beaten. It's called Lip Delivery Nutrition by Intelligent Nutrients.  Price point is pretty good too.  If I have any problems with my lips, lets say from trying other lip products, this one always bring my lips back. The brand was actually created by the founder of Aveda.  They have another product I'm interested in and tried fairly quickly it's called The Renewing Oil Serum. The scent wasn't bad on that... but some of their products have that strong medicinal herb scent to them.

Spoiler
lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png

I've never even heard of this brand before @veronika23! Man my lips need nourishing. I think my allergy to the Bite Amuse Bouche is pretty much undeniable at this point 😞 But I'm so stubborn I refuse to throw Rhubarb away lol. It's too pretty. 

@Mcakes  aw man!!! I'm sorry! 😞 Pretty sure I have a similar situation with their lip balm. The other products seemed ok. Maybe we can find you a dupe?  This lip balm would definitely bring your lips back.  I can't live without it 😄

Great idea for a thread @jemly!

I have a few unsung heroes in my stash.

Hourglass Hyaluronic Skin Tint. I rarely see anyone mention this foundation, but it's amazing. It has some great shades for fair skin, and is magic on dry skin. It's pretty much my HG throughout the winter.

Anastasia Brow Pencil. I see so much talk about the Brow Wiz and the Dipbrow, but no love for the pencil. I love the regular old pencil. I don't find I need to sharpen that often, and it isn't too soft or too hard. It lasts all day and doesn't smudge. It's great! I like the Dipbrow too, but find he pencil a little more natural looking.

YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer. I don't see many people talk about this anymore, but it is my favourite primer and I use it almost daily.

NARS Illuminator in Copacabana. It is stunning!! Probably the most glowing, luminous, long-lasting highlight I own. My other highlighters have a hard time competing with it. 

@Asche I love copacabana too! I wore it today!

Hi @Asche,

I love the ABH Brow Pencil too! I think I like it far more than Dip Brow or Brow Wiz. I can fill in my brows so easily with this pencil! It truly is a underrated but great product! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

@Asche oh i second the copacabana illuminator ! thsese illuminators have been around long before the highlight craze, which is why they get overlooked, i think. copacabana just melts into my skin, it's my all time favorite. i also like dabbing it in the center of my eyeshadow for a gleamy pop.

I was thinking the same thing. With all the new highlighters that have come out this past year, the Nars Illuminators have really taken a back seat. It's a shame because they really deserve more hype/recognition. I'm glad you love Copacabana as much as I do! 😄

I have the original brow pencil, it's really quite nice! I thought about giving it to my mom since she likes that kind of brow pencil but I couldn't bring myself to part with it. It really is underrated! 

XOXO,
Marieke

I think plain old brow pencils can get easily overlooked, especially with all the other new brow products on the market, but no matter what I always come back to this one. 😄

I'll have to try that HG Hyaluronic Skin Tint next @Asche 🙂 I have normal/dry skin as well and I've just been so impressed with HG skin products. Their No. 28 Primer is amazing! 

@Mcakes Oooo I am very curious about the HG Veil Fluid and the No. 28 primer now! I haven't played around with too many Hourglass face products (mostly due to the price), but I'll get a sample next time I'm in stores. 🙂

I hope you like the Skin Tint! The name is misleading. It's actually very full coverage imo. My only complaint is that it tends to transfer. I do set it with powder, but it doesn't totally fix the problem. If it wasn't for that, it'd be perfection.

I hear you @Asche, HG products are pricy across the board but I do feel like they are worth the money in the end! Thanks for the heads up about the transferring-I'm a hugger so I'll have to be careful lol. Plus I'm short so I guess I need to be extra careful 😛 

It's funny that you started this thread because I was just thinking about one of my foundations that is a hero too! For me it is the Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup Oil Free Broad Spectrum SPF 15 (wow that's a mouthful) 

http://www.sephora.com/veil-fluid-makeup-oil-free-broad-spectrum-spf-15-P193231?skuId=1064856&icid2=...

I keep trying to experiment with other foundations and I think it looks good in person but when I look at photos it's just not as good. Nothing compares to this Hourglass foundation for me! It doesn't get talked about a lot if at all compared to their Immaculate Liquid Foundation or of course the Vanish Stick Foundation but this is my hero. 

It just looks so natural, feels so lightweight but has the perfect amount of coverage for me. It builds well too if needed. This is a foundation that I love applying either way- brush or sponge. It looks good no matter what. Even just my fingers apply it so well! 

When I first got it I didn't like it but that was because I was just applying too much. Now that I only apply the smallest amount and then build if needed it is perfect. 

@Mcakes i love the experience of getting a bad first impression of a product, adjusting how you use it, then falling in love ! sometimes i think people are too quick to dismiss things !!

SHISEIDO "the makeup powdery foundation". yeah, the name is scary, look past it ! this is just a lovelyyyy powder compact. marketed as a powder foundation, i can't quite speak to that, but i use it pressed over my t-zone when my skin is going through oily phases. i also use it to just enhance a flawless finish--this powder makes pores just disappear. the lightest color is a bit too dark for me (i'd be even more in love with it if the powder if it was a perfect color match), but when just pressed lightly where needed, it looks fine, and still adds a bit of coverage.

i was going to link to it here, when i see most of the shades are OOS ! i've noticed a lot of weird things happening to shiseido stock on the sephora site. i hope they're not discontinuing. i've never tried a shiseido product i didn't like !

i've noticed my shade is not on nordstrom or even the shiseido site so now i'm crying.

(apparently my shade is at dillards so ya better believe i'm going to grab that up while i still can ?!)

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg
  • IMG_1094.JPG
  • boudoir.jpg