Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR BEAUTY GOALS: 2017 !!

so i was just talking to my coworker about how, whether or not i like it, i always feel stronger--like i can tackle the world better--if i'm feeling good about myself physically. this led to us talking about our "beauty goals" of the new year, how we want to refresh ourselves, what image we want to project onto the world, etc. so, with that in mind, what are your goals this year ? 

disclaimer, though i doubt it's necessary because we're all lovely: one person's goal may be the polar opposite of another person's goal and that is ok ! it's not to diminish what other's want to achieve. i think it's key to keep this in mind, particularly in the age of instagram beauty one-upping, if that makes sense ?

1. more minimal makeup. not necessarily less product on my face, but just a more toned down, chic, light hand and vibe. 
  2. keep hair as healthy as possible, but let it go wild. i will be compensating the more light handed makeup with unashamedly ginormous unkempt hair ! 
  3. spend less money on makeup, but i'm ok with spending (what i can) on skincare. i'm working on decluttering my collection, just a bit, and i'm happy to spend time really using and loving the things i have. 
  4. get new glasses that i love, wear more regularly to give my poor eyeballs a break. 
  5. but still go full-on out of this world avant garde glam if i want to. my point being: no reason to be self conscious in 2017 !

i'll add more below if i think of any. how about you guys ? super eager to hear what everyone's goals and thoughts are........

Re: YOUR BEAUTY GOALS: 2017 !!

I realise that I am quite late to the party, but somehow I missed this thread around the new year. These were some of my beauty-related new year's resolutions:

1) spend less on beauty products (so far, so good)

2) work on using up the products I have before buying new ones (also so far, so good)

3) stop buying anything that turns out to be no longer cruelty-free (so far, so good)

4) stop buying things that are not explicitly gluten-free (because I have a gluten intolerance... but here I am not doing great because Urban Decay's lipsticks are not necessarily gluten-free, and I have bought some this year - whoops)

and

5) figure out which products work for me so that I can stick to buying them, rather than trying out more and more (generally doing okay on this front)

1. Get my skin to maybe not hate me as much. I would love to get the texture to go away and get rid of my god-forsaken acne. I would cry if this were to happen and my foundation would actually look nice... Going to a new dermatologist in March and maybe just maybe this one will actually sit down and chat about my skin with me instead of just throwing products that I'm allergic to at me.....

2. Not just a beauty one but a lifestyle goal of 2017 is to drink more water and get into a good exercise routine. I say this every year but I've actually started and I think I can already tell a difference.

3. Grow out my hair again because last semester I went crazy and buzzed it with a #2 guard. Loved it while I had it but I've got long hair envy...

4. I'm going to Europe this summer so I want to get some products over there that I can't get here.

5. Do whatever I want with my makeup when I want where I want. No holding back with that UD Full Spectrum Palette.

6. Get into a better brush washing routine. That probably isn't helping my face...

1. Keep up with supplementary skin care steps. It's a no-brainer for me to run through my usual AM/PM regimens, but when I get home and unwind for the night, turning to a scrub, peel, or mask can get pushed to the back burner sometimes. I've invested plenty in sheet masks for the past few months to make it point to be "lazy but still efficient" but I need to make sure I stay on track.

2. Take advantage of any excuse to sport super fun looks. When I used to work in beauty retail I could go wild, but after getting a desk job and just enjoying weekends to relax, my go-to look has become much more simple and subtle. Since I'm in makeup for at least 5 days out of the week, sometimes on weekends I feel like "might as well continue on the simple path", but I need to shake that up. I did buy the bold Smashbox Cover Shot palette and have been in love, so that's been my motivation to add a pop of color to lids more.

3. Stick with my recent venture into corsetry. I've always toyed with the idea of getting a corset (not just a fashion one with plastic boning, but a genuine one with steel bones that isn't sold on some generic site for a shady price), and after doing a lot of research at the end of 2016, I took the plunge and got two (got one underbust corset and one wasp cincher that's a little shorter than the underbust). Of course with seasoning the corset, it takes time. I've been about a week into seasoning my satin, underbust corset and I can already see a difference in how it is beginning to fit on my body. With having a smaller frame and shorter torso, finding styles to fit were tricky, but that's been handled. I'm not looking to waist train for permanent waist reduction, but I'm doing it to challenge myself to see if I can stick with it to tightlace down to a smaller waistline if I so chose just to prove to myself that I can do it. 

I'm a little late to the party but...

1. Continue to work on my posture. This was last's year resolution, but I don't want to get slack.

2. Give away all of my samples. I have a skincare routine that works for me and I don't want to tamper with it, so I'm going to let my friends take whatever they want and donate the rest.

3. Stop buying stuff I don't need. The new Chanel Camelia powder? Yeah, I bought it, but I do not need it, even though it's gorgeous. 😉 Myself, Kimberly-Clark videos, and the No-Buy thread are going to be best friends this year 🙂

4. Find a good red lipstick that works for me. I had a terrible fiasco at Christmas where I wore Bite's Mimosa, and I ended up looking like the Joker because I normally wear low-maintenance neutrals and forgot I had it on. Hopefully by Christmas 2017, I'll have my act together haha

1. organize my samples and use/give away them

2. focus more on skincare so I'll have more soft, supple skin to do some nice blended soft makeup

3. get some better brushes that fit my eyes (I got some ecotools eye brushes that are small and I love)

4. venture into trying more stuff, I got my first kvd liquid lip on a whim. lolita 2 is so nice, I think I'll pick up some more colors soon

I made a video about my goals, I am really enjoying reading everyone's ideas on this thread!

1. I've been hoarding skincare for months and now I've made a bet with my bf that I won't buy skincare until my bday (May 30th). I have so many full size and deluxe sample of great skincare and I need to use some of it up. 

2. Use more eyeshadow. I love eyeshadow and have so much of it. I'm gonna try and incorporate it more into my daily makeup routine.

3. Not to pick at my face. I've gotten a little better but I still do every once in a while.

@makeitup305 ugh I hear you with number 3! Something I've struggled with for a long time. Part of my goals is stress reduction because that's such a trigger for me to do that! Half the reason I use vitamin c skin care is for the self inflicted scarring whenever I have a breakout and I'm stressed.

I'm so glad to hear that it's gotten a little better for you, any progress is amazing progress! Be proud of that because it's not easy!

#1 is such a great goal!  I just cleaned out my skincare stash and aim to use a lot more.  I also gave my bestie a huge bag of samples that I didn't think I could use before they expire..  @makeitup305

@Tamara76 I try to clean out my stashes routinely but even like that I still manage to have a ton lol Here's to a year of empties!

I am going to try to stop buying beauty products just because there is a gift with purchase. I was guilty of doing that last year. This year, I will try to only add free gifts to a planned purchase rather than impulsively making a purchase to qualify for a gift.

I agree!!!!  I hope the barneys bag this spring is a dud.

Ugh - You and me both, sister!   So hard to resist!  😞

@PrettyPaint

1. Like many, one of my goals is to cut back my spending on makeup. I find that for me lately it has been all about getting the next new exciting product and as a result of that I'm not really taking the time to enjoy what I have. 

2. Declutter the items that I don't really love from my collection.

3. Focus more on skincare.

Great goals! I can relate well to #1. I don't really pay much attention to what I own, I'm always just searching for the next thing to buy. 

1. Pay more attention to my hair. Getting up in time to wash it and style it (as opposed to 'dry shampoo and updo' that i end up wearing 4 out of 5 days of the week), get it cut regularly, maybe learn how to style it in a more flattering way...

2. Buy less stuff overall, including beauty stuff. Work through my stash and really evaluate products as I go. 

3. Eat better. I have a truly terrible diet that I blame on my work hours and having to eat on the go but the truth is that with just a couple of hours on the weekend, I could prepare food that will take me through the week and leave me feeling healthy instead of sluggish and full of sugar. I've read more than enough about how a bad diet can impact skin - why spend $90 on moisturizer and then eat candy for lunch? 

@underwhelmed11 I love your goals! I hear you with number 1, dry shampoo has been an excessive best friend of mine for far too Long!  Lately I've been feeling like my hair is just there, and I want it to be something I feel good About! 

And boy did your third goal speak to Me!  I spend so much money on amazing skin care, and what's the point if I'm eating things that cloud my skin and break my collagen Down!  Im so tired of feeling sapped for energy throughout the week,  yet I have always dreaded the small chunk of food preparation I could do on Sundays that would lead to a way better week with more energy and just an overall healthier Feeling!  one of my goals is to switch my backward priorities/attitude towards prep  and try to look forward to food preparation as a form of self care and pampering for myself, just like my skincare routine that I've been negating with lack of Nutrition! 

@underwhelmed11...i've recently been paying attention to #1, and although i have a huge learning curve, i'm both proud of my tenacity in trying and sticking to new things and am also so much more confident in my overall look. good luck to you...it's not an easy one but well worth it!

Such great goals @underwhelmed11. I'm trying to do a lot of this myself. 🙂

Hi all!

Can you guys believe we're practically half way through January?! This year is already going by super fast! This year, I plan on staying on top of my skincare routine. I've always been so inconsistent with this, which has led to my skin retaliate against my ways lazy ways. Here's what I plan on doing in terms of my daily skincare ritual:

1: Cleanse 

2: Tone

3: Essence/serum/oil (for night)

4: Emulsion

5: Eye cream

6: Moisturize (SPF during the day)

Additionally, I plan on exfoliating every other day or every two days, as well as use some sort of mask at least twice a week. Oh! And water water water! I'm so used to chugging coffee, which I know can dehydrate you. So, wish me luck and good luck to all of you with your 2017 beauty goals!

Cheers!
Nikko
307 Replies
testing