Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR BEAUTY GOALS: 2017 !!

so i was just talking to my coworker about how, whether or not i like it, i always feel stronger--like i can tackle the world better--if i'm feeling good about myself physically. this led to us talking about our "beauty goals" of the new year, how we want to refresh ourselves, what image we want to project onto the world, etc. so, with that in mind, what are your goals this year ? 

disclaimer, though i doubt it's necessary because we're all lovely: one person's goal may be the polar opposite of another person's goal and that is ok ! it's not to diminish what other's want to achieve. i think it's key to keep this in mind, particularly in the age of instagram beauty one-upping, if that makes sense ?

1. more minimal makeup. not necessarily less product on my face, but just a more toned down, chic, light hand and vibe. 
  2. keep hair as healthy as possible, but let it go wild. i will be compensating the more light handed makeup with unashamedly ginormous unkempt hair ! 
  3. spend less money on makeup, but i'm ok with spending (what i can) on skincare. i'm working on decluttering my collection, just a bit, and i'm happy to spend time really using and loving the things i have. 
  4. get new glasses that i love, wear more regularly to give my poor eyeballs a break. 
  5. but still go full-on out of this world avant garde glam if i want to. my point being: no reason to be self conscious in 2017 !

i'll add more below if i think of any. how about you guys ? super eager to hear what everyone's goals and thoughts are........

Re: YOUR BEAUTY GOALS: 2017 !!

I agree, I think setting numbers helps. I've spent today cleaning and organizing, including spreadsheeting beauty products to estimate how much to budget for the year and pick out estimated #'s for replacements so I can make a "fun money" estimate!

i have sooooo much crap its ridic! i went through my vanity and had to throw out so much stuff (dried out, expired, etc) and i felt as if i was throwing my money straight out the window

All of these are great, @GlamMomAngel. I think it's great you quantified your purchasing goal to one LE per quarter. Setting a specific number makes it a lot easier to stick to!

when i see smithing is LE i go crazy!! (ex: i bought the whole parish carey and mac collection)

sometimes i just buy into the hype and hate the product (like makeupbymario x anastasia beverly hills) 

I've been real good with my complexion products and i stick to 1 brand and rarely venture off. 

Anonymous Insider

I'm definitely relating to lots of you guys !

1. Stop buying in to hype of products. I don't think I have a huge collection compared to some make-up lovers, but I have a few drawers (full !) of high-end products I may never use. I'm basically saying I need to stop buying make-up because the packaging is pretty lol.

2. Spend less on make-up, and more on effective/proven skincare. I'm now in my late 20's and I want to switch up my routine by introducing some anti-aging products before I develop any signs of aging ! I also want to stick to improving and maintaining my skins health, rather than just covering imperfections.

3. Develop a "skin pamper" routine. I really want to find some masks/treatments and take some time out each week to genuinely look after my very sensitive skin. After years of acne treatments and dealing with skin allergies, I feel I owe it to my skin ! ❤️

4. Do what I *should* be doing to help my skin stay clear. I really want to cut down/out dairy from my diet. I know for a fact dairy makes me break out and causes chaos for my skin... But icecream and chocolate are just so delicious 😞 LOL, so I'm definitely looking to cut down as much as possible.

5. De-clutter & re-organise. I seriously NEED to re-organise my make-up, perfumes and skincare ! I'm definitely a tidy person, but I seem to put things away too well, and end up not using products because I forget I even have them lol. I'm aiming to create a more make-up friendly setup for myself 🙂

@Anonymous, I've started investing more into more effective skincare and I've really been enjoying it! I'm in my early 20's and have already started using anti-aging products because it's never too soon! I've also found myself being more comfortable with my skin and not wearing foundation when I go out, I love it. 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

All of your goals are absolutely goals of mine, too. ESPECIALLY #4!

So funny that I saw this post today, I was just thinking about what I wanted to do different in my beauty routine this year!

Here's my beauty goals, I can't wait to read everyone else's!

1.  Get serious about my anti-aging / skincare routine.  I have so many random things I've bought here and there and I use them kind of off / on.  I don't have a super great routine of great products that I love / know work.  I tend to have pretty clear skin, but I really think I need to focus on anti-aging.   So if y'all know of anything to recommend to me in that department let me know. 🙂

2. Get better on my brow routine.  I feel like I am so far behind on this, lol!  I really want to focus on them and try out a lot more brow products this year.  I feel like I tend to overlook them and focus on contouring or lip stuff.  I also have a problem in this department because I don't like thicker eyebrows(which is a little more trendy right now), but I think mine need to be thicker / better styled than they are now.

3. Practice different looks / different make up ideas.  I almost always do my makeup the same way everyday.  I just have found what I liked / what works and I stick with that rather than branching out.  New looks for 2017! 🙂

What type of skin do you have, @CaityLaine?

@greenporchlights

I have dry-ish skin.  I don't have problems with oily skin for the most part.  I usually don't notice too much of an issue with my skin being dry except for in the winter months.  I'm 24 though and I can start to slowly see some creases / crows feet creeping up on me.  Lol.

@CaityLaine, what products are you using now? Do you feel like you're getting adequate hydration?

@greenporchlights

I'm using a Neutrogena make up removing cleanser for my face right now.  I honestly though just go to whatever I have in my bathroom closet for cleansers.

I almost always remove my makeup with the Neutrogena makeup remover wipes though, but I think the wipes may be the reason I'm noticing wrinkles around my eyes.  (from the rubbing with the wipes etc)

Other than that, I have been using a Clinique all about eyes cream I had bought previously because I get dark circles so bad.  I do like that cream.

I do think I could probably be doing more to moisturize my face and I'm thinking partly why I feel like I'm looking so old could definitely be because of dryness.

I just wish I had a set routine everyday of products that are good.  I don't mind splurging on two or three items in my skincare routine.  I just feel like I don't know where to start.

Sorry my response was so long, lol. I feel like I got carried away with my thoughts lol

@CaityLaine I used wipes throughout my early 20's too and have very similar skin to you (although a few years older)! I agree with @greenporchlights to try a cleansing balm. I used wipes because I hated washing and getting water everywhere, down my arms, etc but have seen a HUGE improvement in softness and product take using a balm, they don't sting your eyes, and still no mess.

I really like the Dr. Jart creams (ceramadin and tiger grass) for winter moisture. They are heavy without feeling heavy/clogging and a reasonable price point IMO. Using a good softening toner lotion after cleansing might help too. I use PTR unwrinkle, you might not need something like that yet though. I have heard a lot of people say great things about erborians also and they're pretty reasonably priced too.

SO sorry for my delay in replying.  Thank you so much for your advice / suggestions.  That's exactly how I feel! Lol.  I hate the whole process without the wipes, but I have the Clinique balm in my cart that greenporchlights recommended and I believe I'm going to give it a try. 🙂

I will definitely check out Dr. Jart.  I've never used toner before so I'll check that out too.  I'm ready to do something.  Thank you. 🙂

@CC3616

I agree that wipes are not the best, especially with the tugging that goes on. It takes a little more effort, but I'd suggest a cleansing oil or balm to take off your makeup. I really love Clinique's version.

http://www.sephora.com/take-the-day-off-cleansing-balm-P126301?skuId=886267

Moisturizing would definitely be the next step, and at some point you'll want to add a treatment serum of some kind. And sunscreen. Do you use sunscreen, @CaityLaine?

I'll write more later, but I have to run!

SO sorry for the delay in replying.  I have that balm in my cart and believe I will order it today.  I can't wait to try it out.

I do use sunscreen frequently and honestly I usually use SPF 100 which seems excessive, but I am ghastly pale / fry to a crisp in the sun and I live in Florida.  (Not the best combination. Lol. )

I am looking for a moisturizer now.  I also will check out a treatment serum.  I had received a free sample of Algenist Multi-Perfecting Corrector (may not have the name quite right) and I LOVED it, but never bought it.  So I now have that in my cart as well.  If you have any other suggestions, I am definitely open and thanks for your advice. 🙂

@greenporchlights

@greenporchlights

I have the DE retro whipped cream one in my cart now, lol.  I didn't see the Algenist one though......which do you recommend between the two? 

Honestly, anti-aging is my biggest concern right now.  I want to start early.  I don't have problematic skin as far as breakouts or anything.  However, I feel like my skin is very dull.  So maybe something anti-aging / dry skin / brightening ?

@CaityLaine The La La cream is extremely nourishing, but it's definitely a little heavier. However, the Algenist lotion can usually be found for half the price either through Algenist direct or sites like Hautelook (I think they often mark it on sale because it's one of their older formulations, but it's better than their others, in my opinion, because of the ingredients and the hygienic dispenser (as opposed to a jar). 

Short story: if you want to buy from Sephora and you want a luxurious texture, go for the La La. If you're willing to purchase elsewhere and you want something that'll sink in effortlessly, go for Algenist.

If you're looking for a general anti-aging treatment serum, I love these:

http://www.sephora.com/perfectionist-cp-r-wrinkle-lifting-firming-serum-P379995?skuId=1468230&icid2=...

http://www.sephora.com/kale-tri-peptide-37-vitamin-c-age-prevention-serum-P411389?skuId=1863596&icid...

http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-hydrating-serum-P403739?skuId=1767573&icid2=products%20grid:p403...

http://www.sephora.com/retinol-fusion-pm-P251529

http://www.sephora.com/genius-ultimate-anti-aging-vitamin-c-serum-P392945

@greenporchlights

Thank you SO much. 🙂

I have yet to decide, I may go with DE only because I haven't tried that brand before.  I do like Algenist though and if I can get it cheaper through somewhere else....decisions!

Thank you again and again 🙂

I'm adding one more to my beauty goals list.

5. Stop messing with any pimples that do appear on my face. This year I pricked and squeezed a cyst which left a terrible red mark (thanks to scar fading cream and at home microdermabrasion, it's faded significantly now but still visible), and on multiple occasions, spent so much time/effort on squeezing something out that when I did succeed, I damaged the skin around the infection which left giant red marks. Luckily none of these particular ones scarred permanently. I just need to learn to leave things alone. I always regret it after squeezing something that wasn't ready to be squeezed!

1 Reply
testing