LadyInWhite

Would you want someone to tell there's an issue with their makeup?

I had an end-of-the-day meeting with someone from a different department today.  She's a bigwig, so she was wearing nice clothes, good shoes, and some really nice makeup.  She had done a very natural eye, with a bold aqua eyeliner.  I really liked the effect; I thought it brought out the green in her eyes, and was interesting without being unprofessional.  The problem was . . . it was only over one eye.  After a nine hour day, I thought at first I was seeing things, but every time she blinked, there it wasn't.  Since it was the only real color on her face, it was really obvious to me.  I couldn't say if anyone else noticed it.  The rest of her eye looked fine, so I don't know if the linear came off, or if she forgot or what.  She's fairly goal oriented, so I can totally buy that she wouldn't look in the mirror all day.

At the time, I decided to just stare at the columns of numbers in front of me (I work in research grants, so there were a lot of them) and not tell her.  After all, when I spend a whole day missing an earring or with a huge chip in my nail polish, I always pretend that no one noticed.  Maybe she'd just take off her makeup and never notice?  Besides, she was just going to go home anyway.  

But now I'm wondering if she did something after work and could have fixed her makeup or something.

If this should happen again, should I say something?  And what's the worst makeup oops you've ever done?

ChicDabbler

Re: Would you want someone to tell there's an issue with their makeup?

I only tell if I can do so discreetly and I'm close enough with them to know/hope they won't take offense. If you can't tell them discreetly, you are only calling attention to it when most people may not have noticed (especially if they don't pay attention to makeup at all) and causing more embarrassment.

Not makeup, but once I was on the bus and there's a GORGEOUS girl sitting opposite me. Flawless skin with the perfect shade/placement of blush. Lovely eye makeup, lip color along with a cute pixie haircut and perfect summery clothe. She was sitting down with a bag on her lap reading a book. While I was marveling at how perfect she looked, like right out of a street style photoshoot, she stood up...........and I cried. Figuratively. Her mini skirt was at least 2 sizes too small, I can see not only the panty line but every seam! That's how tight it was! It makes her butt looks like those ham. As she walked away I was cringing inside and thinking "But you were so perfect!!! Almost! You were almost there!....T.T....."

Sonny4President

(0) Hearts

OMG YES!

Don't be embarrassed to speak up!

whether it's "OH you're backpack is closed" (haha, back to school time)

or, "XYZ"

You shouldn't be ashamed to speak up, you're just HELPING THEM.

Just be non-chalaunt (is that how you even spell it? haha) about it and be like "Oh GIRL, you only got eyeliner on ONE EYE! But whatever, it's the end of the day already"... well that's what would say hahaa!

I worst makeup opps, and it always happens is when I tight line, the colours always end up on the outside corners of my eyes, I've learned to regularly clean it without a mirror, but man was it embarrassing having a huge black smudge on the outside corners of my eyes... no one even told me anything until I got home and checked myself...

DiVWA

I agree with most people here that if you do tell, be discreet, but also, that it all depends on the relationship. If you don't know the person too well at all, I would not tell her. But I also believe rank is very important. Rank takes precedence over how well you know her.

I have found through personal experience that some women who are much higher up act different in the workplace--they don't want to seem like "one of the girls" and so tend to avoid socializing or being put into "feminized" positions. I can't explain this in a short reply but that's been my experience. If the higher-up woman is like this, then she may not appreciate even a discreet comment about her makeup.

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

It depends on the situation & the make-up mishap.

In the work environment  & the way you described the person, I wouldn't say anything.

However, I would appreciate someone letting me know as long as it's done discreetly.

Annalily11

[ Edited ]

Depends what the problem is and who the person is. If it's an easy fix, like a smug or something, I'll discreetly point it out. If it's something they can't really fix(like if she doesn't have makeup with her to fix it up), I'll just pretend I didn't notice. Just if you do tell a person, do it discreetly. I have a friend who always announces every little thing wrong loudly, in group settings. It often makes me embarrassed and angry, particularly if it was a small thing no one else noticed until she felt the need to shout it out. But people pulling me aside to quietly tell me "Hey, your lipstick's a bit smudged" are the best, because then I can go fix it before the whole world notices.

In work settings I think it depends on ranking a bit and how well you know them. I probably wouldn't tell my boss about a makeup problem unless I knew her pretty well, but I'd certainly tell a coworker.

RandeeBT

Hi LadyInWhite,

I don't think I would have said anything. When I see someone with a makeup mistake, I usually never tell them, unless it's a close friend or family member because I don't want to make them feel self conscious or bad about their makeup!

When I have to be at work early, I usually do my foundation, blush and bronzer and eyeshadow at home and bring my eyeliner, eyebrow pencil/eyebrow powder and mascara to finish my face before I start work. Yesterday, I forgot to bring my little makeup bag with all of my extra things so I spent the entire day with half of my makeup done. I could have gone out and bought a mascara at the Sephora near my office, but I have so many mascaras at home, it didn't make sense to buy anything extra just for the day. :smileywink: 

Best,
Randee
meagboho

Boo. I imagined the office at Sephora to have shelves and shelves of make up you could just play with.

RandeeBT

They do, meagboho, but I am weird about sharing mascara! :smileytongue:

Best,
Randee
meagboho

understandable! lol

notcreative

[ Edited ]

Three things. 

1.  I completely agree with you.

2.  Unless you have another job in addition to moderating, it is a shame they make you go into an office.  It seems like you should be able to do this from home.  I mostly work from home when I work, and only about 80% of my work is computer based.  The other 20% involves stuff I cannot really use the computer for (needing my phone, a pen and paper, copy machine, scanner, fax, etc).

3.  I go out with half makeup on purpose at times.  Sometimes when I run out of time to apply everything, I just head out with whatever I got done, lol.

RandeeBT

On my days off, I am always going out with half makeup...sometimes you just run out of time! :smileywink:

Best,
Randee
chocopudding

I think I would've said something, but very discreetly. I know it's potentially awkward, but I think as long as it's done in kindness, I think she would appreciate it.

If I was her, I would've wanted someone to tell me. Kind of like the day I walked around with my shirt inside out as I helped led a fieldtrip for a bunch of elementary school kids....LOL

Masaya

I wouldn't tell that person unless you guys are close buddies lol

VC425

[ Edited ]

Tough call! If the person is a good friend, or someone you have a close work relationship with I would vote to tell her. However, if not... I would probably stay quiet. Who knows... maybe she was already aware, but didn't have a way (or time) to touch up at work. To me, it makes a fail situation feel even worse when someone draws attention to it. 

It does make a huge difference if it's a smudge, or pen mark... something totally unintentional - tell them! Makeup can be a touchy subject though. 

I know I've walked out of the house without blending my foundation enough, or my brows are a bit uneven! 

kittichick

I agree with this. My usual go-to in these situations is to tell the person because you want to save them further embarrassment. But since she is a big-wig and you don't know her temperament at all, it might be too risky. I hate to say that, but the reality is that some people might actually hold it against you. If a stranger gets mad at you for trying to help them, it has no impact on you (other than: annoying!), but if it's a boss... You might want to play it safe.

notcreative

This is the answer closest to my opinion.

When I see someone with any type of flaw, whether or not I tell them is based on my relationship with them.  If I am close to someone, I always tell them.  You do not want to run the risk of someone who you like/love getting embarrassed.  I get frustrated when something embarrassing is going on, and my husband does not tell me.

However, if it is a stranger or someone you are not close with, you do not know their temperament.  Some people get offended or embarrassed when you point something like that out.  There are a few who get more embarrassed when someone points out a flaw (even privately) than they get later when they notice it.  Of course, there is also a possibility that even crazy things are happening on purpose.  Plus, they may get sensitive as to why it even "bothers" you.  

I remember a girl I used to work with always said "irregardless."  Everyone used to laugh at her, because she professed to be so intelligent.  One day, a co-worker of mine finally pointed out to her that it was not a word.  She got so mad and lashed out.  It was not a good thing.  Had they been friends, the situation probably would have gone differently.  However, she felt it was an attack rather than a polite gesture to get everyone to stop laughing at her.  Some people are overly sensitive and can take issue with anything you say that is not positive or neutral.

That said, I still think you should do whatever you think is right.  There is no guarantee she will lash out, and she may actually be grateful.  I think most normal people are grateful when people spare them additional embarrassment.  

knuevekm

I vote tell the person, but very discretely.

I found myself in a similar situation. I was in a meeting with a co-worker and I noticed they had yellow highlighter on their face. (to this day I don't know how she got it on her face like that) It was pale yellow so it wasn't extremely noticeable, but if I noticed it I am sure other people did too. I intended to telling her so she could go wash it off but I never got a chance to and I felt really guilty the rest of the day. Like other people said, if it was me I would want to know.

rastika

[ Edited ]

Not makeup related, but I once had a sweet stranger in line tell me that I still had the size sticker on my brand new pair of jeans!

Clearly I got excited when I dressed that morning and forgot to remove it. I was embarassed for a second, but really thankful that she didn't let me walk around looking like I stole some jeans!

I'd say, risk it and let a sister know!

prettyinpa

I'd tell someone, in a private situation, so if that's the intent that they wanted (one eye different than the other) they can tell me.

I has toilet paper stuck to my shoe once, and had one eye lined and the other unlined when someone caught me before opening at work, putting on makeup. Oops.

chelsd

It can be hard to say something, and can depend on the context and relationship with the person, but I think saying something is the kindest thing to do. I would want someone to tell me so I could correct the error if it were me. It might even be a bonding trust building thing to let the person know. That said, it would be hard to tell an authority figure!

The worst thing that I've had no one tell me about is ripped pants! In the bum region! At work ! I've also walked around with lipstick smeared all over my face!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • ChicDabbler
    • rastika
    • LadyInWhite
    • kittichick
    • notcreative