sephoramusthave

Worst skin care items?

[ Edited ]

So I know that everyone has at least one skin care item that they are not looking to replace any time soon, but what are the products you hated using, that wreaked havock on your face or did nothing at all (except empty your pockets)? What are the worst skin care items that you have ever bought?

Mine are:

Proactiv Solution

Ole Henriksen 3 Little Wonders Kit

Burts Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30

Philosophy Hope in a Jar Original Formula

Sephora Brand Face Brush

Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask

Aveeno Sunscreens

CeraVE Hydrating Cleanser 

shyvicki

Re: Worst skin care items?

(0) Hearts

Olay Regenerist Deep Hydration Regenerating Cream. I bought a sampler pack that contained this, the lotion, and the serum. Had no problems with the lotion or serum, but the cream made my face break out. For a week my face looked the way it did in junior high. I gave the rest of the cream to my mom.

Several years ago when Clean & Clear's Advantage line first came out I got the cleanser, lotion, and one other product. Ended up having to return the cleanser and lotion becuse they irritated the heck out of my face. It felt like my face was constantly being pricked by a bunch of needles.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I also didnt like the Boscia Skin Refining Treatment....dont think Sephora carries it anymore. It was around 50 bucks, in this pump bottle that only had like 1 oz in it. While I was using it I saw a positive difference in my skin, but when I stopped buying it my face became 1000X worse than it was before I was using it! BAD product, BAD, BAD Product!!! And when I stopped using it, I didnt switch to any other skincare, I just went natural for awhile and quit skincare. I bought it 3 times but when I realized that it doesnt last long at all...and its way too pricey not too, and my face looked better, I stopped. I wish I could have that $150 back and buy a small suitcase of stuff that I know works, and doesnt cause breakouts when you stop using it!

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

Just remembered that I didnt like the Signature Club A Meltdowns from HSN. I bought a little gift set once with 2 oz jars of all the scents...they smelled okay but in a chemical kind of way but what I hated most about them is that these cleansers didnt remove any of my makeup on their own. I had to scrub real hard with a washcloth or use tons of cotton pads and toner after washing with these "cleansers". I thought I got a good deal on this set, but it ended up biting me in the **bleep**.

hcubby

Bad products are just bad, but when its skincare and it starts messing with your appearance via breakouts and rashes thats just horrible. Unfortunately that generally what happens to me with I choose a really bad product. I dont suffer from sensitive skin either.  Anyways, heres my list:

1. Proactiv- It stripped my skin of all the natural oils and I wouldnt stop peeling, which caused more breakouts on top of the ones I wanted to get rid of in the first place. I can break out bad, and generally lean towards stronger products, but Proactiv was too much. I used all the products until the bottles were empty (lasted about 6 weeks) and I was better off before I used the products.

2. Oxy Pads- When I was 12-14 these were my staple because I didnt know any better. I had close to the same thing happen as the Proactiv, dry, peeling and break outs. I say I didnt know any better because I wasnt a girly girl, grew up with an older brother and have a mother who doesnt really care about appearances.  I used them regularly assuming the breakouts were purely from teenage hormones, but looking back Im quite certain it was the product.

3. Biore Facial Scrub- I dont mind Biore products, Im actually using their system now with an Ice Cleanser, toner and moisturizer but Im not totally happy with the results so I intend on switching when these bottles are empty. BUT this scrub is just horrible! It comes with little blue exfoliating beads that seem too big and too few to really do any exfoliating. Well, one night I used the scrub, put the toner+moisturizer on and when to bed. To my dismay, I discovered one of the blue beads had actually been pushed into one of my pimples the night before which caused a ton of redness and inflamation the next morning. I washed my face with a cleanser but I had no choice but to pop the pimple to extract the bead (its gross, I know!)

Never using again and would NEVER recommend these products to anyone!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@hcubby: Aghh I forgot about Oxy pads! Do they even still make those? I remember thinking, "These burn so badly, they must be working!" Hahaha.

I used to use Bonne Bell Ten-O-Six, too -- the antiseptic? I don't remember how it worked, just that it burned. I think it's actually stlll around, but this is how it looked when I used it. **Not my image

EDIT: I'm not actually including Ten-O-Six among the worst skin care items, as I don't remember how it worked -- this was purely for fun after someone else mentioned Oxy pads. :smileyhappy:

tumblr_lj2gysKdKj1qav1sxo1_250.jpg

hcubby

@katie1724 Yeah, they still make those stupid Oxy Pads, they just changed the packaging from the white the plastic container to a black one haha, maybe to make it look edgier, cooler and more marketable, cause they sure didnt work haha. And I thought the same thing about that horrible burning sensation, if only Id known better I could have saved myself a lot of time.

tenngal

Gosh, I have used so many disappointing products over the years that I can't even think of all of them.  But two that really stick out in my mind are:

1) Philosophy Hope In A Jar - It was terrible and greasy and did absolutely nothing for me except break me out.

2) Benefit Stay Don't Stray - That stuff was like putty.  I couldn't get it to blend at all.  I don't like to pull at my eye area and even rubbing hard wouldn't get that product to blend.  I had a big round putty eye where I had applied it all the way around my eye on my lid and underneath my eye as well.

Those were two disastrous products that I won't ever forget.  If I think of some more, I'll post them...:smileyhappy:

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I also remember that I hated using Grandpas Old Fashioned Oatmeal Soap for Face and Bath. It scratched my hands raw every time I tried to lather it up, and the exfoliating oatmeal particles were too big and it just hurt using it on my face...I used it up completely hoping to see results ( a lot of reviews on it stated that it worked miracles on skin with acne) but never saw any. :smileysad:

psychomuffin

The worst skincare items I've used are the Proactiv line (minus the refining mask, it smells horrible but it works) and also a Biore warming scrub I tried when I was about 14.  The Biore scrub just made my face red and burn, it was supposed to clear my pores but I found it just irritated them. As for Proactiv, it just didn't make a difference between what I was using at the time, and still use to this day, which is The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil line. 

banane

Mine was sadly the Korres Wild Rose mosturizer.  I tried so hard to love it, but I broke out like crazy from it.

prettyinpa

Boots melon scrub, it was like taking a shower with Crisco! It wouldn't come out of the grout in my tile floor shower, I had to get construction grade grout haze remover to get it off!

Neutrogena self-tanners- See Oompa Loompa, and the stink was horrible.

Nioxin shampoo-I tried really hard to like this for my fine hair because it was so expensive, but it just left it greasy and matted looking and didn't make it grow more or get thicker.

Clarins Multi-Intensive Super Restorative Night Wear- The fragrance was overpowering, I couldn't sleep with this on!  Plus it made me break out.

I could go on and on, I have this compulsion to try new beauty products and a lot of them are so disappointing.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I was really disappointed in the Caudalie Premier Cru. I dont care about anti aging so I didnt buy it for that, I bought it to erase some red acne marks I had on my face and it didnt deliver. I got some cash for my birthday once and I got myself this creme--it cost $150 without tax! But I was willing to pay for a miracle product. It was just a average face lotion...I needed many pumps to cover my whole face, it comes in a pump bottle so you cant use up ALL of the product and it even made me break out. How can a pricey product make you break out?!? It left my face baby soft every morning but other moisturizers do that too...it was just SUCH a bummer :smileysad: I went through most of the product and gave the rest to my mom who's in her 40's and she saw no visible difference in her skin either. I like Elizabeth Grady Sheer Moist Creme, L'occitane Ultra Rich Repair Creme, or even Korres Yogurt mask as a overnight moisturizer a LOT better. 

And honestly, its not ANY better than the Caudalie Premier Vendanges which costs only 35 bucks.

kalex

(0) Hearts

A couple of years ago beauty blogs that I read were raving about this Clean & Clear In-Shower Facial and blathering on about how amazing it was.  So I bought it and it's a good thing it was only a few bucks.  I didn't hate it, but it was a just a minty scrub - it didn't do anything fantastic or facial-like to my skin at all. 

My most recent disappointing experience was with the new Clarins Instant Smooth.  It's the same Instant Smooth in a jar just a bitter thinner in texture, and packaged in an extremely expensive pen form.

And yeah, I used St. Ives when I was a teen too.  It must be a right of passage or something!

officegal

(0) Hearts

I still use the St. Ives actually and my face likes it! I've never had a problem with it. But I'm someone who needs to exfoliate constantly or else I break out. So I guess harsh scrubbing is the lesser of two evils for me.

Re: Biore warming mask - Is that the one that turns blue? I used to love it in high school and would use it as a method to calm down my little brother when he had freakouts and dramaramas. He was a really sensitive kid and would cry over a lot of things. I put the mask on him one day and he thought it was really cool and so the Biore mask became our weekly ritual. (He was only in Gr. 3 or something at the time.) I have fond memories of this product. :smileyhappy:

pocketvenus

(0) Hearts

@officegal It must work for many people b/c I keep hearing about it as a bestseller. I totally remember the Biore mask too... The one that came in those little silver packettes? My sister and I would use them for stay at home spa nights.

officegal

(0) Hearts

pocketvenus wrote:

@officegal It must work for many people b/c I keep hearing about it as a bestseller. I totally remember the Biore mask too... The one that came in those little silver packettes? My sister and I would use them for stay at home spa nights.

Yup, those were it! They were so fun. I don't know that they were effective at all but the self-heating business was pretty cool.

I also kind of hate the DDF Brightening Cleanser. It is so intensely stripping (and my face rarely gets dry) that whatever brightening effect it may have is completely lost beneath the dry flakes.

pocketvenus

I'm reminded of another mask - I got the lemon poppy mask from Burt's Bees. It was very thick with a texture like lard and felt like I'd left a film of beeswax on my face. The poppy seeds were not great at exfoliating either because they were encased in a layer of greasy product. I couldn't even use it on my body.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I remember the Burts Bees Lemon Poppy Seed Facial Cleanser...its not made anymore, its been discontinued for awhile now. It smelled awesome but it left this layer of grease on my face and I needed to use lots and lots of toner and cotton pads to get it off. I went through a Burts Bees obsession period a couple of years back, and still use some of their products but some of their stuff was definately a miss for me. ( like their facial creams and this lemon poppy cleanser)

eastakrongirl

Here are my worst:

Clinique Acne Solutions (seriously, if Proactiv can make a BP that doesn't bleach why can't you???)

Lancone Flash Bronzer (original & oil-free; major acne)

Ole Henriksen African Red Tea cleanser (Purity is soooo much better)

PTR Glycolic acid pads (too strong!)

Olay in-shower lotion...I love the idea of in-shower moisturizers, but this is like rubbing straight petroleum on your skin & it leaves a horrible ring in the shower. YUCK!

novemberjuliet

Both Proactiv and Murad!

ALSO, I love Exfolikate from Kate Somerville, so when she came out with Exfolikate for Acne I shelled out the $65 without batting an eye. It was so overpriced for the amount you got! And it literally did not improve my skin at all...when it was gone I threw it in the garbage and felt it was the biggest waste of money I'd ever made.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 43 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • eastakrongirl
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • officegal
    • prettyinpa