sephoramusthave

Worst skin care items?

[ Edited ]

So I know that everyone has at least one skin care item that they are not looking to replace any time soon, but what are the products you hated using, that wreaked havock on your face or did nothing at all (except empty your pockets)? What are the worst skin care items that you have ever bought?

Mine are:

Proactiv Solution

Ole Henriksen 3 Little Wonders Kit

Burts Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30

Philosophy Hope in a Jar Original Formula

Sephora Brand Face Brush

Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask

Aveeno Sunscreens

CeraVE Hydrating Cleanser 

lushaholic

Re: Worst skin care items?

st. ives apricot scrub!

i don''t feel like walking around....:womanindifferent:

ohhenri

Philosophy Hope in a jar... Got it as a skincare challenge reward, and it made me break out like I've never had, even as a teenager... Couldn't stand the smell either! I'm just glad I didn't actually had to pay for it!!

ran8

[ Edited ]

I second the Hope in a Jar sample(s).  Same reaction including making my skin look duller.  It did not want to absorb into my skin at all.  

Lancome's Bienfait multi-vial SPF 30.  This was suggested to me as a replacement to Aqua Fusion (my old standby moisturizer for years).  Burned my face within minutes.  Watery eyes, etc.  Flushed/washed my face immediately.  I almost bought a whole bottle too before an associate (or is it cast member?) recommended to sample.  Glad she intervened.  My review is a lot nicer though (still gave it one star).  Too much fragrance.  I've never had a product do that before.  Awful.  I was such a Lancome devotee too.  

For those who did proactiv:  It worked for me as a teenager but I always hated how it ended up bleaching or discoloring any colored wash cloth.  Did that happen to anyone else's wash cloths or towels?  

The clinque soap bar.  It kept coming back.  Eerie.  

This wouldn't be a worst skin care but a weird one.  Guerlain super aqua wasn't bad but I think I needed a sample of the cream cause the next down wasn't moisturizing enough.  However, it did make me sleep like a rock.  So if I ever have insomnia moments, I might have to pick it up again.  

Although if these things works for someone else with no reactions, don't stop cause of my bad experiences.

pocketvenus

St Ives Apricot Scrub. It was WAY too harsh. Like taking steel wool to your face. OK, maybe not that bad... I have no idea why everyone loves it.

rubynovember

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@pocketvenus The St. Ives Apricot Scrub is way to harsh, I only tried it because it had an Allure Beauty award, but my face was red and raw after. Which is weird because my mom also has sensitive skin but she loves it! Weird!

rubynovember

(0) Hearts

Here are my FAIL products:

1. Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizing Lotion and Purifying Gel Cleanser - they both made me break out way more than I ever did before.

2. Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub - this made my forehead and nose feel and look like they were coated in shiny, clear plastic. It was gross and I could hardly move my face! Allergic reaction? :smileysad:

3. Clean & Clear Morning Burst Shine Control Cleanser - Did the same thing as Neutrogena's: bottom line, gross

4. Neutrogena Wave - yeah, it did nothing

Please, I beg you to stay away from these products!

sephoramusthave

I tried the Burts Bees Acne Kit once and hated everything except the Cleansing Gel---that one I love, and still use from time to time. It removes all my makeup, doesnt dry out my skin too bad, and never broke me out, and its natural :smileyvery-happy: I like that its super thick so it lasts forever too.

Products work different for everyone though.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

Ugggh....I HAVE to tell everyone about this product. My mom used to have this 100% Dead Sea Minerals Mud container, and you could use it as a face mask or a full body wrap. It was this dirty, cold, gel-like thing that SUCKED out all the moisture from my face. I used it as a face mask and when I was done with it ( washed it off when it completely dried) my face hurt so bad and none of the face creams I had in the house worked to put back the moisture I lost. ( And I generally buy very thick, very moisturizing creams that are made for normal to very dry skin). And it left a huge mess in my sink or shower area:smileysad:

NEVER AGAIN.

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

@sephoramusthave, I just hate how pushy the sales people are. When I see the kiosk (sp?) at a mall i try to walk as far to the side as I can and if they still start the "Ma'am, may I ask you something?" I either say "no" or completely ignore them.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I know:smileysad: And I really hate it when they want to put stuff on me ( super dirty brushes that havent been washed in forever? No thanks). I like to be left alone when I'm shopping so that I can try stuff out. The last time I was in Sephora one of the women didnt allow me to put a face cream on myself, she INSISTED that she needs to do it. I had one of those plastic spoons in one hand, and a cream in the other and I was just about to get just a little out and sample it on my hand...but NOOOO....

I think I might have to go to ULTA for my Urban Decay, Benefit and Fragrance products because my last few trips to Sephora have been horrible. I used to have fun shopping there...now I just get stuff online or if someone else is selling the product I want, I go to them instead.

slgouger

(0) Hearts

I have noticed that at Sephora there brushes aren't cleaned between customers as well. I took my daughter in there last week and wanted to get her the Bare Essentuals Foundation kit. They wanted to make sure we were getting the right color and I told them I knew and they continued to tell me that it would be better, and of course my 15 yr old daughter thinks I am OCD about it. So she did the foundation match on her and I was using the right color (imagine that) I don't want to be rude but I am picky about dirty brushes and sharing things like that........some people have horrible skin and the only way to clear it up is antibiotics due to the bacteria......why would you want others to use the same stuff and end up with some kind of bacterial infection on  there skin!! People need to watch what they put on there face. Its not worth it. Get a sample and check it out urself at home!! :smileywink:

tenngal

@sephoramusthave & slgouger:  I feel the same way about not wanting MUAs to test makeup on me with a dirty brush!  I've found that most professionals use a sponge on me when doing a color-match instead of whipping out a brush.  As a matter of fact, I have said to an MUA before that I didn't want her to use a brush and to please use a sponge instead.  I have oily, acne-prone skin so I don't want other people's oily, acne-prone bacteria on my face just as I wouldn't expect anyone to want to use an uncleansed brush directly after me.  If I know that the brush has been cleaned, which I have actually had an MUA do in front of me, then I don't mind them using a brush.  But otherwise I'd rather they keep their brushes to themselves and use a sponge instead.  I have felt a little OCD by asking them to use a sponge instead of their brush, ha ha, but they didn't seem to mind and I'm sure that I'm not the only person who has asked.
:smileyhappy:

sephoramusthave

tenngal you have every right to ask them to use a sponge instead and I agree with you 100%. A lot of us spend a lot of time and money on skincare products so I dont want to get acne/bacteria from a used brush.

ran8

Kiosks are the worst.  Most of those must be commission based sales. When I saw Proactiv being sold that way, I knew that it was time to switch.  Think they even sell it in a vending machine at the university (indoors of course). 

@sephoramusthave:  Sorry to hear about the Sephora experiences.  All the locations I've gone to have been pretty easy going (sometimes there is the one or two employees who are not approachable).  Even the ones I went to out of state.  Try filling out the the survey that is attached to the receipt next time.  Express the concern about the "dirty brushes."   They do listen.  (: 

sephoramusthave

Thank you ran8! Your vending machine thing reminds me of something...I saw a Sephora vending machine at an airport once, no joke! I cant remember exactly where that was...but I thought it was the coolest thing! But I was in a rush..I had to run to baggage claim and get to my next flight!

tenngal

I just thought of two other products I hated.  One is still on the market and the other (thank goodness) is no longer sold.  They are both by Smashbox and I usually love Smashbox products, but every brand has a dud I guess.

Anyway, Smashbox Anti-Shine is the worst oil-controlling product I've ever tried.  I can't believe that Smashbox is still carrying it because it's so bad.  The stuff goes on like thick toothpaste and won't blend at all.  After I blended it the best I could and tried applying my foundation, it started balling up terribly.  I had to wash my face and start completely over and was late for work that day.  That particular product taught me never to try anything new when I've got to be somewhere at a specific time, ha ha.  I did try the Anti-Shine a few times after that because it was too expensive to throw away and I thought maybe it was just something I had done wrong the first time, but it never worked no matter how I tried applying it.  It's just bad, bad, bad!

The other product was Smashbox's Lip & Eye Primer which they don't carry anymore.  I'm sure they quit making it because it was so horrible.  I don't know if any of you remember it or not, but It was in a lipstick-type tube and one side was a roll-out stick of eyeshadow primer and the other side was a roll-out stick of lip primer.  The eyeshadow primer tugged as you tried to rub it across your lid and it wouldn't blend.  It didn't keep shadow from creasing either.  The lip primer was a light flesh color and tugged across my lips.  It didn't help my lipstick stay on longer and actually changed my lip colors because of its flesh tone.  It was a horrible product and I gave it a deservingly very, very bad review.

Oh, I just though of another one that I think someone mentioned in a previous post.  It's Biore Face Scrub.  That is the worst cleanser ever...yuck!  I love Biore Facial Cleansing Cloths, but their facial scrub is absolutely terrible.

:smileyhappy:

ohhenri

sephoramusthave wrote:

Ugggh....I HAVE to tell everyone about this product. My mom used to have this 100% Dead Sea Minerals Mud container, and you could use it as a face mask or a full body wrap. It was this dirty, cold, gel-like thing that SUCKED out all the moisture from my face. I used it as a face mask and when I was done with it ( washed it off when it completely dried) my face hurt so bad and none of the face creams I had in the house worked to put back the moisture I lost. ( And I generally buy very thick, very moisturizing creams that are made for normal to very dry skin). And it left a huge mess in my sink or shower area:smileysad:

NEVER AGAIN.

I didn't try out the mud from the Dead Sea, but I got caught up once at the mall by a salesman selling all kind of stuff from the dead sea and ended it buying a Dead Sea salt scrub. Although it helped with the dryness of my dry feet (!! I have the worse heels ever!!), it also burned like crazy, because I sometimes have eczema between my toes!! It may not be as bad as Hope in a Jar but it's close on my worst item list!!!!

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I also didnt like Korres Milk Proteins Cleansing Wipes and Korres White Tea Facial Fluid Gel Cleanser. I was really disappointed too because I love and use many Korres products. I LOVE their Guava and Yogurt Body Butters, their Yogurt Mask and Yogurt Cream for face, Thyme Honey Cream, Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser and Lip Butters.

Their Cleansing Wipes werent moist at all, come in horrible packaging that dries out the product, and they didnt remove my makeup well at all. My $2 Epielle Cucumber Cleansing Tissues do a much much better job.

The White Tea Gel Cleanser gave me multiple, huge whiteheads overnight. And I know its a direct result of this product because all I did the night before was wash my face with this and skipped all my other skincare.

anaa

Agree with you pocketvenus on the apricot scrub or any other nut shell scrub....way too harsh and damaging to skin.

katie1724

I definitely agree re: St. Ives...I used to like it as a teen, but those particles are huge! Ever since I discovered more refined exfoliators, I won't use things like St. Ives.

For me, my most disappointing items (I won't say worst, because it's not as if they made me break out or caused some terrible reaction) have generally been eye creams. Lately, I've tried one from Chanel, Dior, even Caudalie's Premier Cru, and none of them hydrated my eye area as well as other ones I have used -- in fact, it looked as if I had used nothing at all. To me, it's just proof that sometimes the best products aren't always the most expensive, or from the best labels. (Other times, they are, though!)

cheryl77351

I'm curious then, what do you use for a "gentle exfoliation" of your face. I am over sixty and have 'redness" Maybe its caused by St. Ives?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 43 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • eastakrongirl
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • officegal
    • prettyinpa