officegal

Worst beauty habit?

So we know that all you ladies here are sparkly, beautiful, clean and well-groomed... but we're not perfect!  What's your worst beauty habit?

Mine is picking at the layer of dry skin on my lips when I'm not wearing lipstick or gloss on top of it.  I don't know why, but I've been doing this since I was in junior school and I just pick compulsively until the dead layer is all gone.  Sometimes I slap on some lip colour as a preventative measure, but if it's drying and I can feel the chapping, it's hard to resist the urge.

Oh, and I don't shave my underarms or legs in the winter unless I know for a fact that they're going to be shown somewhere.  lol  I don't have a lot of hair to begin with but it's a total pain.

runy

Re: Worst beauty habit?

@daisy- I too have gotten my underarms lasered, and it's one of the best things I ever did.  I did it because my skin is - like you- extermly sensitive and can't take being shaved even every other day.  Sometimes, deoderant even bothers me!  I went to a place that uses a new tytpe of system (called Soprano lasar)  that a) is less painful and b) safe for all skin colors.  I have brown skin.  So anyways, they were great about explaining everything to me and it really wasnt very painful.  It's uncomfortable, but its quick.  Do your research, save some money, and do it when you are ready- but personally it was worth it.  I would love to do my legs too... but its extermly pricey.

Back to the original topic:: I'm not too bad about anything in particular... but I have a tough time keeping up with regiments sometimes, which doesn't always allow me to see the full benefits of a system.  I try though!

daisy346

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I'm inspired to go ahead & do it.

allegrissima

(0) Hearts

@daisy346 - now I'm all excited for you!   YAY!  - for sure, you will not regret it.  To a point that sometimes you won't even need deodorant... cuz there is no hair to trap any sweat etc..  

If you do go, let us know how it goes. 

:smileyhappy: 

katie1724

I know it's awful for you, but I definitely squeeze pimples and clogged pores...I have never given myself a scar, but if an unwanted intruder suddenly takes up residence on my face, AND it can be squeezed easily, I attack the thing(s). Ugh!

I also have the terrible habit of picking at my nail polish. I can never leave it alone! I'll leave it alone (post-manicure) until it chips, and then it's as if I need to scrape every last little bit off.

I would love to get elecrolysis...but my hair doesn't grow fast enough to really annoy me (yet!).

: )

thatchicgirl

I, too, pop zits which is gross, and pick off my nail polish, but my worst habit is looking at my hair. I actually look for split ends and try to separate them, which I know gives me more split ends, but I can't help it!

Erg. 

sarithor

(0) Hearts

@thatchicgirl, I use to do that in high school.... all day long in class. Look for split ends, to try and pull apart! My friend taught me it and I thought wow! thats soo cool... and I got addicted lol. I eventually stopped. I don't know why I stopped, but I think it was after I got out of high school and I was working full time... I always had my hair up (I worked at a restaurant) so I guess the temptation wasn't there anymore and I just never did it again haha. But I totally remember sitting in class playing with my hair and splitting split ends lol. I use to smell my hair a lot in class... My friends would always be like "why are you smelling you hair??" I still do that sometimes when I'm watching tv. I just like the smell of it!

officegal

(0) Hearts

sarithor wrote:

I use to smell my hair a lot in class... My friends would always be like "why are you smelling you hair??" I still do that sometimes when I'm watching tv. I just like the smell of it!

LOL!  I do that when I've applied the MoroccanOil to my hair.  I also sniff my palms because smell lingers there and it smells so good!

Re: lasering - I'm totally going to look into that as soon as I can afford it.  Ugh, the inconvenience of picking up a razor in the shower is too much for me.  Sometimes I'd rather not shave than make the effort for a date or something.  LOL

runy

(0) Hearts

Sometimes I'd rather not shave than make the effort for a date or something.  LOL

HAHA That's hilarious! 

I don't shave my legs in the winter, but why should we?!  I don't consider this a bad habit at all!  My skin gets irritated from shaving so I just skip it.  DH knows the deal and couldn't care less.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I definitely don't as often in the winter, either -- maybe once every week and a half? I live in California, though, and even though the weather is cool, it's never arctic (when I lived in a wintry climate, though -- hah! My skin got waaaayyy too dry and irritated to be bothered with shaving frequently...and that's what opaque tights are for, anyway).

: )

katie1724

(0) Hearts

My arms though...ehhhh...definitely every week...it will drive me crazy otherwise.

sarithor

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the support for my Uncle everyone, I'm sure he will be fine, he's a tough cookie!

@Katie1724, I do the same thing with my face and fingernail polishes lol. My nails grow so fast too so once I can the the gap between my skin and the paint I will start chipping too.. Then I wont re-paint them for months haha.

katie1724

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@sarithor: I know, I don't know why I can't leave it alone! I wish they would invent a picking-proof topcoat...it's always best with manicures -- but inevitably it chips, and then I just go to town picking it off. For this reason, I should probably stick to light pink or nude colors on my nails, but I always want the fun ones, like burgundy (or -- right now I'm wearing bright pink, and it's definitely chipping. Time to fix!). 

And, I hope your uncle is okay :smileysad:

allegrissima

@sarithor - :smileysad: So sorry about your family.  My mother had a similar issue... the result of not using sunscreen!!!  

You call yourself a 'worrier' but I think you are more of a person who thinks ahead.  Preventing is much safer than curing.  Good for you!  Cancer is not easy to go through, be it the person affected or the family members. It is better being safe than sorry.  I wouldn't do botox or fillers either..  I don't like anything invasive nor do I like needles around my face. 

The idea of zapping unwanted hair off my chin was a great idea.  Even then, I waited about 8 years before I had the courage to go to the dermatologist. Once my chin area was done, I ventured into the underarms, which was a very small area anyways.  It took me only 4 sessions to get rid of all the hair.  It has now been 2 years since, and no re-growth.  

@officegal - have you thought about doing microdermabrasion or a rejuvenize peel?  They do work well on minimizing scars.   

officegal

(0) Hearts

allegrissima wrote:

@officegal - have you thought about doing microdermabrasion or a rejuvenize peel?  They do work well on minimizing scars.   

I do them at home and try to get facial treatments whenever I can.  The thing is I routinely get a fresh round of breakouts that leave the face with more scars as soon as the old ones seem to fade.  It's pretty good in the winter but when it's hot and oily in the summer?  It's an annual battle.

daisy346

(0) Hearts

I'm very interested in the lasering thing. My skin gets so irritated from shaving under my arms all the time....I can't do it every day or it gets so bad. Right now there are some places in my area offering a very good deal....my main problem is I'm afraid of the pain! How much does it hurt??? I'm a baby when it comes to pain. I'd like to do my upper lip too. 

I'm also interested in microdermabrasion and peels. I have a lot of old acne scars. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • Jillie
    • sarithor
    • officegal
    • mermadelove