andyhtrieu

Why do you buy high end products?

This thought popped into my head this morning and I asked myself, "why do i buy high end products?" I buy a few high end products because there's more options, finishes, and shades to choose from. 

Do you shop high end because of the different shades and options? or is it because you like brand name products? 

jcmb

Re: Why do you buy high end products?

Why do I buy high end products? Well ANDY...I wouldn't have bought a NARS Audacious lipstick this evening if you hadn't ever posted that wonderful picture because I wouldn't have known they existed!!! LOL! It is true that BT is mainly how I find out about the new stuff. I just wanted to yank your chain. I mean that metaphorically of course!

Tooits

(0) Hearts

I buy all brands. The high endzzies are more pigmented and stays put. I go for texture and now I only buy from certain product lines, Plus the high ends foundations have a light fragrant.

notcreative

I buy what I want, which is mostly mid range brands.  The one low end brand I bought I still have not used, so it is collecting dust.  Although, I did try one of the three cheap nail polish bottles I recently purchased, but I am not impressed so far.  Two more to try.  That is not to say I have not enjoyed some low end products received as GWP and from subscription boxes.  For some reason, I usually cannot get myself to buy high end brands often.  It is probably because I have only been wearing makeup again for a little over a year and want to see what mid range products work first.  Packaging is very pretty on higher end brands, but I have a harder time using things in pretty packaging anyway.  I just feel like I am messing up works of art (dumb, I know).

My husband also teases me profusely about the few high end things I own, so that may also play into why I do not buy them often.  I am finally working again, but I cannot use my money to buy high end products either.  I make WAY less money than my husband and always find myself saying I have to work how many hours to buy that.  No thank you.  When I am using money he earned, I never think about that.  The funny thing is my Dad says kids do not appreciate the value of money, but I find myself guilty of that at 34 when it is not money I earned.  Gift cards and the hubby's earnings can be spent on expensive items in a heartbeat!

meagboho

(0) Hearts

Notcreative, what do you consider to be highend? I want to say that 70% of what I buy is mid-range and 30% is high end but I have no real frame of reference.

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Examples of High end (to me) would be:

By Terry Baume de Rose, which my husband always teases me about, because it is $60 for 10g.  It is my HG though, so I will keep buying it.  I still buy a lot of other lip balms though.

Tom Ford lip sheer, which I only bought, because I had Glossybox certificates.

Lancome Absolue L'Extrait (not to be confused with regular Absolue, which is expensive but I am not sure I would call it high end).  I keep getting samples of this and may buy the eye cream when the samples are gone (after August when my no buy is over of course).

I know a lot of people classify Hourglass items and a few others from Sephora as high end, but I do not.  Sephora does not carry a lot of high end brands, because higher end brands typically choose slightly more exclusive retailers.  It also seems like higher end brands keep jumping ship, like Edward Bess (which is at the bottom tier of high end to me).  Sephora is a great example of a mid range brand retailer, with the rare exception like Eve Lom (which has a very limited product range here).  

Unlike Ulta which also carries lower end brands, you do not see many low end brands at Sephora.  Beauty (online), pm me if that is not specific enough, carries low to high end items.  It is where I purchase my By Terry, but you can also purchase cheap items there as well from the Drugstore side.  That said, most high end brands do not sell there.

Of course, this is just my opinion.  There is no real classification (that I know of anyway) to say which brand is which.  Some brands, like Lancome, have high end products within the brand.  That makes it hard to make a blanket statement that Lancome is mid range, but I would say it is mid range, except the L'Extrait products.

chocopudding

I buy what suits my skin, whether it's high end or drugstore. :smileyhappy: I don't judge based on names.

(I do have to admit I am a sucker for nice packaging, and often high end products DO have nice packaging. Sigh.)

Jenniem84

Foundation, eye shadow and blush are where the main areas I won't compromise on buying drugstore stuff...because they just don't look as good!  But mascara, "illuminizers" and lipstick, i actually buy several drugstore brands and feel like they perform just as well. Everything else I buy high end just because I like to!  But **bleep** if i can't find a high end mascara that is worth it to me.  I still buy Maybeline after almost 10 years of being a product/makeup junkie.  I've tried so many...and some of them even wow me the first 5 times i use them..but they always dry out and start clumping :smileysad:  therefore, i stick with the $6 ones. 

anaa

(0) Hearts

I'm in total agreement on the Maybelline mascara.

Rosebud15

(0) Hearts

Usually but not always the ingredients used in high end products are much better for your skin and more natural.

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

Mainly because of quality of some products considered high end.

Some high end products are horrible.

I don't brand name shop.

EvangelineDamon

(0) Hearts

I prefer high-end brands because of the quality, the packaging and where they are made.

HookedOnBeauty2

I shop a lot here because I love all the BT enablers and I need to spend my money somewhere. I am fortunate enough to have the money to buy all these lovely goodies. And I have fun playing with it :smileyhappy:

BuxomBabe80

I feel like I'm getting higher quality items when I purchase high end and luxury makeup. But I'm not naive to the fact that the majority of what I pay for these products is spend on advertising/marketing. These brands make the products *feel* more luxurious and I feel fancier buying them. I won't lie to kick it. :smileywink:

sonofmanjesus

For me it's obviously not just for status. I like the way high end and luxury brands make me feel using them. P k us it is always a plus when others are jealous of your stash...

miabt

Every brand is different.  Something I learned awhile back, was that drugstore brands often replicate high end products, by modifying 1 or 2 ingredients, or even the percentage of a certain ingredient, to call it their own.  I'm easily tempted by beautiful packaging of products, but the quality also plays a huge part in how much I'll pay.  A companies reputation is always important, but more than anything, is the way the product performs.  I've wasted money on cheap drugstore makeup so many times (we all think $10 here or there isnt a big deal, until you've tried out 6 different shades that you hate), only to throw it out because it didnt work out for me colorwise, or the texture or payoff was horrid.  I love companies that have lax return policies or that provide testers... who wants to drop $70 on a product without at least opening it up, smelling it, feeling it... you get the picture :smileywink:

xo, Mia

weeeeweeeeeee

Because I never had success with drug store products.

heartsmyface

I love packaging!!  There's also that I can trust the ingredients listed. I also find way more trendy colours with higher brand named items.  the makeup usually has longer wearing power.  ...there are so many reasons. 

melissabt

I think it all comes down to the packaging and a quality that I expect from the brand. I personally mix a combo of everything. However, I am a sucker for a pretty packaged lipstick:smileyhappy:!!

<3 Melissa
annypoo

I don't always buy high end products, but when I do it is usually for the packaging, because it's a limited edition item, or because it clearly performs better than the other stuff I have tried. I usually buy mid-range products since it is more sustainable for my wallet. 

sephoramusthave

I buy high end products because they generally work better and the texture/pigment/how long it lasts just doesn't compare to drugstore. I'm not a brand snob, and I do have my drugstore must haves, but I don't mind paying a higher price if it means that it will work better and last me longer. I also have sensitive skin and have to be careful of what I put on my skin and high end products usually contain better ingredients. Plus, drugstore prices these days aren't that much lower than mid range products like MAC. And I can usually find amazing mid to high end products at outlet malls or tjmaxx for the same price or lower than drugstore prices.

spadersgirl

My reasons are both practical and admittedly frivolous. It began by wanting the perfect foundation shade. I have dark skin so there are limited options for drugstore products where I live. The makeup I did find only partially matched and looked/felt heavy. Plus it was harsh on my sensitive skin. Once I found the perfect foundation at Sephora, I started wondering what other things work better than less expensive alternatives. Now I buy things which are promoted by beauty gurus on youtube, blog websites, and highly rated by customers here. I'll still always be focused on the quality but sometimes I purchase things just because I want something new from a particular brand. And my among friends and acquaintances it's like your brand = your level of beauty knowledge. My friends used to ask me for advice before (even though I wear minimal makeup) but it has dramatically increased now. And of course it's a nice feeling to be that go-to person.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 87 replies
  • 166 hearts
  • 67 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • kenny
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire