ChicDabbler

Why all the complaints?

[ Edited ]

Am I the only one who's getting a little peeved/defensive on behalf of the mod and Sephora? Maybe I'm missing all these amazing deals others are used to, in which case please enlighten me. This is not directed toward any specific person or post, just something I noticed over the past months. I'm totally fine with disagreement/discussion as long as we don't sink to personal insult or threats. Here are the issues, from what I can see:

Lack of information or misinformation

- I understand and agree it is absolutely silly for Sephora to hem and haw and refuse to give a straight answer for some of the events/promos until the day of in the name of competitive reasons. C'mon, we already know about some of them, and some customers who would love to take advantage of those things will have to miss them due to the last minute nature.

- But I don't understand the blame on the mods. I've had my fair share of bad ones (losing 800+ pts and have my account broken for 3+ month?) as well as good ones (shipping me the promo by itself when I forgot to add it to my order once). Most of the times when mods give us generic answers, that's because they were unable to find out the exact details or are not allowed to tell them due to Sephora's marketing, but that doesn't mean the mods are bad. Saying the mods don't respond or mods suckdoesn't solve the problem and it's misplaced blame. I mean if I'm a mod and my only two options were to not respond, or respond with a "I don't know and can't find out/tell you." and get a oh-my-gawd-I-hate-you back.....

Discontentment over good promos:

- I do understand the frustration of not getting what was promised for VIB/Rouge level, and I do understand the annoyance of getting emails late, or promo/perks that are manhandled so the mascara is dried etc. The email batch changes so there are times I got the email when the promo is out of stock or the event is over, and there are times when I get them first. 

- I don't understand the complaints about lack of promos or how soon they run out. Yes, the sample selections are not to your/my taste sometimes and I don't mean the chats we have about eagerly anticipating the next promo. People keep talking about the GWP at dept stores and sales/events at Ulta as if they are entitled and Sephora owe them. When I talk to ladies at brands counter in dept stores, they told me they have the 6-8 deluxe GWP twice a year, which is about the same as Sephora (VIB clutch this spring and now, as well as a 8 piece set for normal BI). What about the summer full/half size promos? this yr was full size of Origins eye cream, the yr before that was buy 3 skincare and get 1 full size free, and the 15 days of thrill. It's not fantastically better than other stores, but not worse either compare to beauty.com and ulta. As for complaints about promos running out within a couple of days, isn't that the same for most places? I've seen a couple good promos from beauty.com that runs out within half a day, and sometimes if I go instore a week after I get the GWP email they do run out. Yes, some of the things Sephora offers are worse than previous years, but others are much better than previous years (hello??? the MJ bag of goodies? Stila backstage fashion show?). Overall I think it evens out. Sephora's no better and no worse than other similar companies out there, a little bit better because of the great return policy and occasional great events (Meet MJ in person, Expert chat with brands on BT etc etc).

Anyways, I'm just a little tired of seeing bunch of complaints/negative stuff on the public board (if it's constructive criticism then post in the CS or feedback or PM the mod) and the flood of vague "let's feel happy and love each other" and the cycle repeat. Can we just go back to talk about makeup and skincare? o.o

Or maybe I'm just ranting cuz I've been here too long, like those old ppl with "get off my lawn!!!" and "back in *my* days...". #MidLifeCrisis

lilyyy

Re: Why all the complaints?

"telling other users they were not welcome on BT, that no one wanted to hear what they have to say"

No one has done the first half, but isn't this post about the second part? beautytester and others supporting this post do want to read their complains on BT.

nebel

No, it is not.

There is a big difference between these the following two things:

1) Posting "Gosh, I really hate when some users post about random things like food instead of makeup and wish they wouldn't do it and I think they should take it to a different board because it isn't appropriate for this board."

2) Going to Rikkie's thread, where she talks about cheese, and saying "You, Rikkie, Shouldn't post this. It is dumb and you are wrong and everyone hates you and your liking of cheese."

#1 is what beautytester has done.  She was polite about it in her initial post. She continues to be polite about it in her comments.  

I am using Rikkie as an example here because I know she won't get her feelings hurt because she has a great sense of humor.  This can go around and around and around- people are free to post their complaints and free to post their complaints about complaints etc.  But I have noticed this... almost everyone who complains about the complaints almost always tries to offer another outlet- either by clarifying policy, or pointing people in the direction of the customer service lines, suggesting that mods are PMed, asking discontent BTers to take a deep breath etc.  They aren't trying to use some iron fist to silence other members.  They are trying to make things more comfortable for EVERYONE.  

Those of us who are seen as being on "Sephora's side" (which puzzles me, i'm not on a "side")  have been derided as having "drank the kool-aid" and are told we are "bullies" and "Mean Girls" and "fake" when we ask for patience and optimism instead of complaints and sephora/mod bashing.  All of these things are in quotes, because I have seen them all been tossed around by various users referring to people who try to keep it light and positive.  We don't respond to these comments, but it doesn't mean we don't see it and we don't get the dig.  I think that it is this passive-aggressiveness that is what many of the users on this thread are referring to when they say the feel of BT has changed and so they have been coming less.  I've felt the same- I've come a little less too. 

Regarding Mod bashing, it does happen. I saw it happen today when a Mod was basically called out and told she never did anything useful.  I have seen threads where mods are confronted, accused of censorship, and treated extremely poorly because some people felt they had a "right" to abuse someone because they felt that they themselves been abused.  Unfortunately, I think this is how many people react to customer service.  I have been guilty of it myself in the past.  You're angry, you feel like you've been wronged, and you blow up at the first poor guy who finally picks up the phone.  I get it.  And I get that it is that poor guy's job to get complained to. But it doesn't ever excuse being mean to another human being.  People can voice concerns and frustration without turning on others, without calling names, without accusing reps of not being able to do their jobs.

Anyway, I'm tired of all of this. I'm tired of feeling like I have to defend my friends on here for just trying to keep BT a happy place.

rikkie

I'm not sure you could have said it any better. And #2 is what I've seen a select few people unleashing any time they see someone talking about this. 

Come on, Rikkie, don't make a poo joke. I know it is so tempting talking about people spreading #2 all around, but try to be a grown up. :smileywink:

LCResz

Wait, I missed a poo joke?! Maybe I should read all the threads afterall, if only for the lulz. 

image.jpg

ChicDabbler

Not quite sure what pooping like a unicorn means, but I'll be saving this picture.. This pic also reminds me of........nvm, TTMI. =X

lilyyy

index.jpeg

ChicDabbler

Nooooooooo! Don't poop on my thread! *horror* =P

Since we are on the topic of unicorns (how did we get here? Shouldn't it be unihorn instead of uni-corn? I ain't see no corn on their head)

swfupload_4477965111225926192.png

veronika23

LMAO!  This is too funny!!!!

nebel

Oh god guys I'm laughing so hard trying not to wake up the hubby.   Bwahahahah.   Why doesn't the unicorn have a horn? Lol

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Hahahaha, his face! But where is his horn??

rikkie

I totally don't mean this antagonistically, I am genuinely curious. I just really don't understand the argument "no one is forcing you to read complaints" 

Wouldn't that apply to this board too then?

But I see BT as a public area, and yes, we are all free to say what we like within the rules just like I can go to the middle of a mall and loudly talk about how I had a terrible experience in a shop to no one in particular. But if I'm disturbing the other shoppers just trying to have a nice day out, then I'll be asked to quiet down or leave, right? By standing in the mall with my voice raised I am forcing people to listen to me whether they want to or not. The answer isn't for all the other shoppers to avoid the mall. My efforts would be better used calling the store's corporate line or talking to someone at the store instead of the mall patrons, wouldn't it? That's how I look at things I guess. I have had problems that I've talked about here and there on BT, so I don't think everyone needs to only say happy things all the time about how wonderful everything is, just that if you really want results, I don't think this is the best avenue for them.

bratknits

I'm not asking her not to post it, I am pointing out that complaining about people and asking that they only engage in talk one personally finds enjoyable is mean and that is what that post was doing.

rikkie

I can only talk about how I interpreted it I guess, but I didn't see it as an attempt to single anyone out and besides the one line "Can we just go back to talk[ing] about makeup and skincare?" which I think was immediately tempered by "Or maybe I'm just ranting cuz I've been here too long", I didn't see any demands to only talk about one thing. To me it felt like a run down of her point of view of the issues people are talking about and her opinion that it is a shift in the focus of the whole boards lately, from discussing beauty products and techniques to critiquing business strategies, and think I agree in that the reason I came here was to talk about the former and not so much of the latter. That's how I saw it at least. 

misscg

Have you checked the fb page? Most of the posts are about complaints and asking when the sale is coming. At least on BT there's a variety of things being discussed. Yes sometimes as consumers we get annoyed and frustrated with a company and what is going on. Sephora just happens to have a discussion board where we can collectively share our experiences. 

Since you're VIB I assume you can't see what's posted on the rouge board. Other than that board I really haven't been seeing people throwing fits over anything besides bad customer service. Are you talking about the point perk board thats been inactive since the update?  Or maybe others pointing out that sephora is not the only place where you can shop perhaps? Because there are other places that have GWPs for a brand when you spend a certain amount on top of perks, sales, and giveaways. 

Maybe I'm on the other side where I'm tired of seeing the same questions about concealer and face masks that have been answered a bunch of times before.

ChicDabbler

My complaints/musing/ranting is not directed toward a specific person or post. As I've said, I've been here for years and this is just a general shift in the atmosphere I've noticed in the past few months. I have not been on facebook and this is not facebook, it's just my observation as an old timer here so my view is probably pretty narrow.

I'm also tired of seeing the same questions, and it is a problem as the board gets more popular, which is why I rather like the chat posts or sharing swatches/hauls etc stuff. I've also learned to be more patient after I started TAing, where I would get the same question asked over and over again every week by different people.

beethousand

I agree; I've only been frequenting the boards for a few months now, and posting for even less, but I've noticed that the tone has shifted dramatically. I'm a member on several other makeup sites as well, and this one quickly became my favorite. In the past two weeks or so, it feels like every time that I log on and skim the most recent posts, so many of them are complaints, mostly about promos or GWPs or Rouge or something like that. I'm like you - I want to talk about makeup and skincare! The constant flood of negative posts makes me not want to come on BT as often, and I haven't been on as much nearly at all since this started.

viviene23

[ Edited ]

For the most part, beautytalk is a positive community. The complains usually comes in waves where one would complain and some would agree and share their own complains. I tend to avoid reading these threads not because I don't care about it-- a lot of them are justified complains-- but because it escalates when more people agree/disagree/share their own experience instead of simply getting resolved or addressed by mods.

ChicDabbler

Awww, don't let the bullies win! Stay here and stay strong. =D

Don't let those negativity get to you:

swfupload_9106919781230293955.jpg

I was trying to find an anti-bully lol animal pic but don't see a good/cute one, this will do for now.

lucyshnoosy

Best. Traffic. Sign. EVER.

ChicDabbler

Oh if you had bad service then your complaint is legit. =)

And I'm sure whomever you talked to appreciate the fact you were as nice and respectful as possible.

Honestly if it's a negative board I usually just avoids it, but sometimes I would be reading something innocent and suddenly there's a snide remark in there that puts a damper on the whole thing. =/

rikkie

I don't think this board was directed at all towards anyone specific, just as a general commentary. :smileyhappy: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 457 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • spoiledbrat
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • theramenlover
    • misscg