ChicDabbler

Why all the complaints?

[ Edited ]

Am I the only one who's getting a little peeved/defensive on behalf of the mod and Sephora? Maybe I'm missing all these amazing deals others are used to, in which case please enlighten me. This is not directed toward any specific person or post, just something I noticed over the past months. I'm totally fine with disagreement/discussion as long as we don't sink to personal insult or threats. Here are the issues, from what I can see:

Lack of information or misinformation

- I understand and agree it is absolutely silly for Sephora to hem and haw and refuse to give a straight answer for some of the events/promos until the day of in the name of competitive reasons. C'mon, we already know about some of them, and some customers who would love to take advantage of those things will have to miss them due to the last minute nature.

- But I don't understand the blame on the mods. I've had my fair share of bad ones (losing 800+ pts and have my account broken for 3+ month?) as well as good ones (shipping me the promo by itself when I forgot to add it to my order once). Most of the times when mods give us generic answers, that's because they were unable to find out the exact details or are not allowed to tell them due to Sephora's marketing, but that doesn't mean the mods are bad. Saying the mods don't respond or mods suckdoesn't solve the problem and it's misplaced blame. I mean if I'm a mod and my only two options were to not respond, or respond with a "I don't know and can't find out/tell you." and get a oh-my-gawd-I-hate-you back.....

Discontentment over good promos:

- I do understand the frustration of not getting what was promised for VIB/Rouge level, and I do understand the annoyance of getting emails late, or promo/perks that are manhandled so the mascara is dried etc. The email batch changes so there are times I got the email when the promo is out of stock or the event is over, and there are times when I get them first. 

- I don't understand the complaints about lack of promos or how soon they run out. Yes, the sample selections are not to your/my taste sometimes and I don't mean the chats we have about eagerly anticipating the next promo. People keep talking about the GWP at dept stores and sales/events at Ulta as if they are entitled and Sephora owe them. When I talk to ladies at brands counter in dept stores, they told me they have the 6-8 deluxe GWP twice a year, which is about the same as Sephora (VIB clutch this spring and now, as well as a 8 piece set for normal BI). What about the summer full/half size promos? this yr was full size of Origins eye cream, the yr before that was buy 3 skincare and get 1 full size free, and the 15 days of thrill. It's not fantastically better than other stores, but not worse either compare to beauty.com and ulta. As for complaints about promos running out within a couple of days, isn't that the same for most places? I've seen a couple good promos from beauty.com that runs out within half a day, and sometimes if I go instore a week after I get the GWP email they do run out. Yes, some of the things Sephora offers are worse than previous years, but others are much better than previous years (hello??? the MJ bag of goodies? Stila backstage fashion show?). Overall I think it evens out. Sephora's no better and no worse than other similar companies out there, a little bit better because of the great return policy and occasional great events (Meet MJ in person, Expert chat with brands on BT etc etc).

Anyways, I'm just a little tired of seeing bunch of complaints/negative stuff on the public board (if it's constructive criticism then post in the CS or feedback or PM the mod) and the flood of vague "let's feel happy and love each other" and the cycle repeat. Can we just go back to talk about makeup and skincare? o.o

Or maybe I'm just ranting cuz I've been here too long, like those old ppl with "get off my lawn!!!" and "back in *my* days...". #MidLifeCrisis

Meg82

Re: Why all the complaints?

It has been really unpleasant around here lately.  It's funny that you post this now because I'd just made the decision to take a step away from BT (since I can't force anyone else to take a step away lol).  I hope that the conversation started here is productive and things start to change both from Sephora's end and ours.  I am going to try LCResz's strategy of ignoring comments by the posters I am frustrated with.  Perhaps that will get me back to a place of BT enjoyment and I can stick around.

nebel

I have found that because the posters who constantly complain basically ONLY complain/post negative things and rarely if ever comment on the beauty threads or fun threads,  it is very easy to ignore the negative threads.

bratknits

Sephora made a deal, you give us a thousand dollars in business and you'll get these perks because we are grateful.  It's been months very little of what was promised has been delivered.  What has been delivered hasn't been evenly distributed whether it be "free gifts" or event experiences (no consistency at all) and these have been exactly zero Rouge exclusive GWP, they've been VIB. 

Every time they blow it yet again there's going to be complaints.  This week it was the Bauble Bar event which was uneven and again, not as promised.  Despite the flyer and answers from CS to people who called guests were not given the perk promised.  That is embarrassing to anyone who brought someone to the event and particularly tacky and disrespectful given you had to spend a minimum of a thousand dollars with them to attend. 

No other retailer has done anything even remotely like Sephora has pulled this year and they seem determined to dig themselves even deeper.  These are legitimate complaints, no one is forcing you to read them.  If it makes people feel better to vent angrily, snarkily or other then let them, they've been repeatedly misled and their feelings are just as legitimate as anyone else's.  Complaining about their complaints undermines and belittles those feelings in a public way and it borders on being mean.  They are complaining about a business transaction, you are complaining about actual living people.

ChicDabbler

It's not really a deal since you didn't sign anything. It's more of Sephora's way of showing appreciation (altho a not very thought out one). I completely agree with your complaints stated here. Perhaps I didn't state myself clearly, it's been a while since I wrote a long long post, but we are half on the same page.

What I wrote was not aimed at specific person or post, just something I noticed in the past months after having been here for years. I agree with you that we shouldn't complain about actual people, which is why I respect those that are able to state their dissatisfaction politely instead of venting on the mods, who are actual living people and don't really have much of a say over things. 

The only disagreement I have with your post is that just because someone is frustrated, it doesn't give them a right to be snarky and hurt other people. I've been frustrated by Sephora too, enough that I broke down crying and wrote long PMs. I support venting, but venting is for friends, not in a public area full of strangers (#AttemptAtAnology). I am completely fine with criticism or negative feedback, but yes, I'm not a fan of pure complaints in a public area. Other people vented their complaints, and this is my little vent.....little as in my post was so long I wasn't actually expecting anyone to really read it and for it to get so many replies....o.O

lilyyy

Every single order is a business deal, even though neither party "signed anything". There are plenty of different types of deals than contracts signed by two parties.

bratknits

Sephora is not a person, it cannot be emotionally hurt.  You might be less upset with the situation if you stopped anthropomorphizing a corporation.  What you wrote was aimed at people who complain, people, they are complaining about something that is not alive, a business.

ChicDabbler

Sephora is not a person, but moderators are. Have you ever worked in customer service? or have to be the representative of an organization/company/university in front of dissatisfied people? You are saying the people who complains are hurt and I'm saying the people who are being complained to can also be hurt. I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your dissatisfaction, just that voicing it in a more polite manner. Anyways, that's as clear as I can state my thoughts and as much as I have to say on the issue. Agree to disagree I suppose, or you are welcome to discuss it more in depth with others on here.

lilyyy

Why would a complaint about a missing sample hurt a customer service rep? I have seen ZERO evidence that anyone on BT has ever mistreated a mod or rep.

bratknits

I don't see anyone trashing the moderators and oh yes, I have worked it CS and PR.  When a company screws up it's hard to be the mouthpiece, true, but that's what they get paid to do.  It's a job and jobs aren't always fun, particularly jobs that deal with the public.  It's not the same thing, the mods are not Sephora.  The mods aren't internalizing complaints about Sephora and taking them as complaints against them personally.  At least I hope not, it's not a good field to be in if one tends to do that. 

picniclover

Working in customer service means you're paid to help customers. You're not paid to be insulted or blamed on the company's behalf, which did recently happen to a mod. In another post, their attempts to help were described as "yacking" and are trivialized by a customer angry at Sephora, so there is a level of mistreatment.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Just because they are paid to be the messenger doesn't mean it's ok to shoot the messenger. I don't think anyone is outright rude to the mods on the board, altho I usually ignore the complaints so I wouldn't know. That was just the point of the conversation we happen to pick up and magnify. Also, you would be surprised what goes down in PMs. I got a threat from someone who acts very positive in the forum in my PM, we no longer cross each other's path so it's all good.

And as I've said, my thoughts are not directed toward any specific post so if you have a missing sample, post in the CS board or let the mod know. I don't care as long as you don't turn it into a public tirade about the decline of Sephora in the general BI board or something.

lilyyy

If someone is sending attacks through PMs, they should be banned! I support outer and inner beauty.

I do think that if someone wants to "turn it into a public tirade about the decline of Sephora in the general BI board or something" they have every right to.

If I disagree I will not read it, not grant it hearts, and make might a fun new post to bump it down.

bratknits

So if no one is rude to the mods how are they "shooting the messenger?"  And if you ignore the complaints why on earth are you complaining about the people who write them?  And again, if you ignore them why do you care if the tirade is public?

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I heard about people being rude to the mod which is why I mentioned it, and I didn't elaborate because I didn't personally see it. Picniclover, who actually read the complaints, gave you an example above.

I brought up this topic because many of my dear friends on here has been turned off by the negativity and decided to stay away from BT for a while, and some newcomers I'm friendly with are also doing the same or consider doing the same, as you've seen here. Therefore I do care if it's public. 

bratknits

So you complained about people because you heard gossip and complaints about people from friends not because of the reasons you originally stated.  Which version is the truth?  The first one at least had some defined issues, the second just sounds like high school.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

It's not gossip if it's confirmed by facts me think. I saw the complaints in the beginning and chose to ignore them (majority of them). I didn't know how bad it was until my friends started taking breaks and I asked why. So yes, both version are true. My original post was my opinion from a while ago but I decided not to post about it since it's just me, but when I started hearing "gossip" from my friends which are based on actual forum posts, I looked around and decided to post/publicly voice my opinion. I'm not a big fan of the he-said-she-said game. I figured the worst that could happen is either everybody ignores me or the mod will close it down if it gets too messy/catfight-y, which haven't happened yet. 

bratknits

(0) Hearts

Your goal would probably be more easily met if you help them learn to ignore threads they don't like.  Complaining about complainers can only cause hurt.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to bring this issue to light since I'm also curious about the other side, which you have provided,  and ignoring it won't let the hurt go away. I guess I'm the weird one who has to address the elephant in the room rather than leave it alone.

Unfortunately and fortunately, it's pretty hard to get banned here. You can block users' PM if it really bothers you. There was a user who....oversteps boundaries with several users and he was banned but then he complained to the Sephora marketing team and unbanned! He then acted inappropriate again so we got him banned again for good, with some effort. I'm fine with people voicing their opinions and don't think anyone should be banned unless they clearly and repeatedly act very inappropriate (such as threats or sexual harassment) despite the warnings.

nebel

Beautytester has expressed herself very eloquently, has not called out any users, and has said nothing mean. All she has asked, which is what many of us have asked and have repeatedly been ignored when we have asked it, is to take it up with the proper channels instead of constantly posting it in the public boards.

That is not mean. It is not bullying.  It was written earnestly and in the best of faith to make people feel better, not worse.

What IS mean is posting comments or posts that is meant to make people feel worse, not better.  There is a difference between asking for change and bullying, and between understanding yet disagreeing and dismissing out of hand.. 

bratknits

How exactly does asking (though the tone increasingly resembles demanding) that they only engage in popular and positive conversations when that isn't the way they feel make someone feel better?  It seems to me it would make them feel worse, even unwelcome, for having different feelings about something than a particular group and that is the very definition of bullying.

nebel

"Hey guys, please post your complaints to the appropriate channels instead of constantly posting it on public boards and bringing the rest of us down" is not, by any definition of the term or stretch of the imagination, bullying.  Claiming that it is bullying is like claiming that the Westboro Baptist Church is being "bullied" when people don't want them protesting the funerals of soldiers.  (Also, note the difference between REAL bullying- mean spirited words directed at specific groups of people to hurt, like the WBC does, and voicing one's opinion without calling anyone out and in a moderate and polite tone)

It would be bullying if people were going to the complaint threads and telling other users they were not welcome on BT, that no one wanted to hear what they have to say, that they were not important.  No one is doing that.  No one HAS done that. As many users have stated, we are ignoring complaint threads if we have nothing constructive to add.  Simply saying you disagree with someone and you don't think that this board is the appropriate place for their grievance is not intended to hurt or undermine anyone.  It is to be taken at face value.  I honestly don't know how else to say it.    

If anyone at all has been bullied here, it has been the Mods, who are subjected to pointed anger by particular members. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 461 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • spoiledbrat
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • theramenlover
    • misscg