beautytester

Why all the complaints?

[ Edited ]

Am I the only one who's getting a little peeved/defensive on behalf of the mod and Sephora? Maybe I'm missing all these amazing deals others are used to, in which case please enlighten me. This is not directed toward any specific person or post, just something I noticed over the past months. I'm totally fine with disagreement/discussion as long as we don't sink to personal insult or threats. Here are the issues, from what I can see:

Lack of information or misinformation

- I understand and agree it is absolutely silly for Sephora to hem and haw and refuse to give a straight answer for some of the events/promos until the day of in the name of competitive reasons. C'mon, we already know about some of them, and some customers who would love to take advantage of those things will have to miss them due to the last minute nature.

- But I don't understand the blame on the mods. I've had my fair share of bad ones (losing 800+ pts and have my account broken for 3+ month?) as well as good ones (shipping me the promo by itself when I forgot to add it to my order once). Most of the times when mods give us generic answers, that's because they were unable to find out the exact details or are not allowed to tell them due to Sephora's marketing, but that doesn't mean the mods are bad. Saying the mods don't respond or mods suckdoesn't solve the problem and it's misplaced blame. I mean if I'm a mod and my only two options were to not respond, or respond with a "I don't know and can't find out/tell you." and get a oh-my-gawd-I-hate-you back.....

Discontentment over good promos:

- I do understand the frustration of not getting what was promised for VIB/Rouge level, and I do understand the annoyance of getting emails late, or promo/perks that are manhandled so the mascara is dried etc. The email batch changes so there are times I got the email when the promo is out of stock or the event is over, and there are times when I get them first. 

- I don't understand the complaints about lack of promos or how soon they run out. Yes, the sample selections are not to your/my taste sometimes and I don't mean the chats we have about eagerly anticipating the next promo. People keep talking about the GWP at dept stores and sales/events at Ulta as if they are entitled and Sephora owe them. When I talk to ladies at brands counter in dept stores, they told me they have the 6-8 deluxe GWP twice a year, which is about the same as Sephora (VIB clutch this spring and now, as well as a 8 piece set for normal BI). What about the summer full/half size promos? this yr was full size of Origins eye cream, the yr before that was buy 3 skincare and get 1 full size free, and the 15 days of thrill. It's not fantastically better than other stores, but not worse either compare to beauty.com and ulta. As for complaints about promos running out within a couple of days, isn't that the same for most places? I've seen a couple good promos from beauty.com that runs out within half a day, and sometimes if I go instore a week after I get the GWP email they do run out. Yes, some of the things Sephora offers are worse than previous years, but others are much better than previous years (hello??? the MJ bag of goodies? Stila backstage fashion show?). Overall I think it evens out. Sephora's no better and no worse than other similar companies out there, a little bit better because of the great return policy and occasional great events (Meet MJ in person, Expert chat with brands on BT etc etc).

Anyways, I'm just a little tired of seeing bunch of complaints/negative stuff on the public board (if it's constructive criticism then post in the CS or feedback or PM the mod) and the flood of vague "let's feel happy and love each other" and the cycle repeat. Can we just go back to talk about makeup and skincare? o.o

Or maybe I'm just ranting cuz I've been here too long, like those old ppl with "get off my lawn!!!" and "back in *my* days...". #MidLifeCrisis

nebel

Re: Why all the complaints?

I agree with everything Kalex said here, so completely, I don't feel the need to add anything at all.

jojobe

I understand that service issues and consistency should be carried out at every store. As far as the GWP's - The point system is seriously flawed. To get the Laura Mercier 500 pt perk I can get from a department store by spending 75-100, and the big samples sets are only 125.00 purchase at the beauty events. Why would I wait to spend 500 where I could get the same or better at a beauty event. The 100 pt perks should be things we really can't get other places like the mini perfumes. I know you can't please all of the people all of the time but obviously there are certain things that us consumers that CHOOSE to spend our money here and I will too take my money where I can get the most value. I think the way Sephora marketers hyped up the big ROUGE deal us Rouge folks thought we would get more perks than regular vib's that were special.

LCResz

Very true, jojobe, from the VIB Rouge perspective I too feel like perhaps Sephora jumped the gun in rolling this program out, but I still have hope that come Black Friday/Christmas time the kinks in the system will have been hammered out. Venting is healthy up to a point, and yeah, if you never voice your concerns then you can't be surprised that your need haven't been met. All that having been said, I think complaining about things that are truly beyond the control of the customer service reps/mods, like shipping problems or promos running out, seems counter productive. 

But I'm not a " all positivity all the time" Stepford wife either. Nobody can force me to be nice or nasty, and if a post rubs me the wrong way I simply skip it. If you don't have anything nice to say, and all that :smileyvery-happy:

lilyyy

I agree. The problem isn't that people are complaining too much, it is that when things are above the control of the customer service reps, someone else should step in. Resolve the problem and the complaints won't be as often.

LCResz

That is a good point, lilyyy. I have no idea if every issue gets escalated to a higher up, but I tell ya, when my husband and I had a lousy experience buying a camera at a giant chain store, which has subsequently gone out of business (shocker), we stayed on the phone until we got escalated to a VP, and not only did we get the camera we wanted at the advertised price, we got sent a $25 gift card for all of the inconvenience. 

I am a fairly calm person, but I know how to stand up for myself in a mature and respectful way, and maybe that is what's missing in some of these posts, the rationale that leads up to the explosive comments. Since we don't get the whole story from all parties involved it becomes too easy to speculate and demonized those who are voiceless in these exchanges. I swear, everyone should take a conflict resolution course at least once in her/his life, you'll get a lot more great service that way.

beautytester

Oh yes!!! I took a negotiation course in college and honestly it is THE BEST and THE MOST USEFUL course I've ever taken. It's an eye opener to say the least, because sometimes it's not you vs. me and once you switched positions you realize that you both want the same thing and are just approaching it from a different perspective. We also had lectures on giving feedback so I have no problem with people that holds opinion different from mine, and I get so surprised sometimes when some people get so defensive and just explode in rage just cuz I disagree with them. o.O

beautytester

Agreed. =)

I don't know how much influence BT have on the marketing dept/team but I do hope they take the feedback more seriously. I kind of second the other poster's idea of a Q&A. There are a couple fantastic point perks throughout the year, but not enough for the frequent spenders. Rouge is a great idea, but (another of my big peeve) one of Sephora's bad habit is to roll things out before they are thoroughly planned out. Boohoo. *pout*

mommyto4

Beautytester I couldn't agree more.  I was just about to log off after reading another post about complaining when your post title caught my attention.  I actually have not been logging on as much because of all the negativity.
People seem to feel more entitled than ever to lots of free stuff.  I haven't been disappointed at all in Sephora this year.  Sephora is one of the only stores I shop at that gives me anything for shopping with them.  I am grateful for what I have received.

lucyshnoosy

I agree.  The tone on the board has sometimes been negative and I haven't been enjoying coming here as much.  Let's just keep the talk on-topic.  I come here for product advice, tips, questions - things like that.

lilyyy

For the bigger issues, I would like to see an official response from someone higher than a mod. (Love you, mods! You're doing a fantastic job).

If a bunch of people have the same issue and are stressing about it, it would be considerate of Sephora to send an official response. Sephora management, I know you exist. Maybe one of you could do a Q&A on Beauty Talk?

knadala

I am still appreciative for the Sephora brand and community because I don't know of another beauty brand with this much emphasis placed on the social customer experience. This is not just a website to many people, its place to go for social interaction, and acquiring knowledge. No company is perfect, but what we are provided with here is still above and beyond anything we would get at another locale.

LCResz

I'm just gonna put this out there: it's just a few specific people who complain over and over again, and then well-meaning people respond by saying, "I can't believe that happened!" or "I'm so sorry to hear that!" which just feeds the cycle of complaints. I tend to ignore those posters and only read the comments left by people who don't seem to have a Sephora-hates-me chip on their shoulders. Sigh, no giant conglomerate gives a flying fig about a single person enough to start a company-wide smear campaign, yet it seems some people honestly think the workers on the other end of the phone know them personally and have their pictures on their cubicle walls with giant red X's drawn over their faces...

Has my experience with Sephora been all lollipops and rainbows? No. Have the people I've reached out to worked with me to resolve my issues? Yes. 100% of the time, thus far, my issues have been heard out and resolved in a way that makes me feel valued as a customer.

I've worked so many customer service jobs, and I get that it only takes one impossible to satisfy customer to throw you off your game, so I make it a point to be as kind a human being as possible to the person on the phone with me, or the person at the counter, and sure enough I have been treated in kind.

In the immortal words of The Rolling Stones, you can't always get what you want, but if you try you just might get what you need... 

Meg82

I completely agree.

nebel

Another perfectly put response!!  

beautytester

I agree! Sometimes all it takes is one rude customer to ruin your mood. I didn't realize this until I became a TA. The professor set the rules but we TA are the ones who get the "you don't know what you are talking about" and "I didn't pay the university so you can mess with my grade" (yes! one student actually said that to me, publicly). The worst is I can't really say anything back because I'm not just me but I'm "representing" the system. It put me in such a foul mood that even I can tell I wasn't as nice as I should be with other students...until one student thanked me for helping him by buying me a chocolate croissant. YAAAAAAAAYYYY! *cough* that set me back on the right track/mindset for the rest of the semester.

nebel

You'll come to ignore entitled undergrads.  Believe me, I've been there. I know it sucks, and I know it is INSANE what they come at you with because they see you as more susceptible to changing their grade if they bully and harass you enough about it.    PM me if you ever want or need to talk about it! By year six in grad school, I had gotten very good at dealing with it!  LOL

To any undergrads reading this:  Please, please, please be nice to your TA.  They are SO overworked and SO underpaid for what they do.  

LCResz

X 1000 to what beautytester and nebel have said. Students, like customers, sometimes cannot fathom that the true culprit behind their dilemmas is the one complaining (I'd use the B word but it would get bleeped anyway). When one of my high schoolers whines about a low grade, even after I walk him/her through the points (leaving a whole section blank isn't going to score you an A), that student still goes home and blames me for his/her scores. Then you get parents who think you are out to get their precious angels, and when they come it find that their babies simply aren't doing the work, the whole song changes. If you are in the right, stand firm, and are polite nobody can tear you down... Assuming the administration has your back, but that is a saga for another day :smileywink:

LCResz

Sing it sister! When I worked at BandN I had to deal with many a nasty customer who felt like I personally chose not to carry the specific book/newspaper/brand of soda that he/she wanted to buy, and would curse me out for not being helpful. Invariably other customers who watched the spectacle would come up to me and ask if I was okay, and I truly was. I figured that other person had such a poopy life that yes, not buying a book was going to absolutely ruin his/her life, whereas I was just happy to get a great discount on books and coffee :smileywink: guess who came out looking like the sane person and who was deemed a psycho?

carrie1975

Just a quick question, what was the bag of MJ goodies?and the Stila backstage fashion show? 

spoiledbrat

to anyone i offended, i am sorry - i have been on a rant about this CS stuff - you have all heard it; too many times - going forward i will do my best to stick a sock in it - i did take crabby pills over the weekend and i should have stayed off of BT and not been a party pooper - please accept my heartfelt apology - the brat

viviene23

[ Edited ]

I was wondering the same thing! I seem to miss a lot of these amazing giveaways. Still love sephora and BT...I get to play with makeup and talk beauty to people who cares about it :-)

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 461 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • kalex
    • dannyc
    • spoiledbrat
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • theramenlover
    • misscg