pinkonyx

When i wake up i put on my make up, becuase im ugly without it?

Okay okay okay, so I don't mean that literally. But today I had a weird experience I wanted to share with you, to see if I am alone. I started back school today (college) and I was sitting in class and kept noticing this one guy looking back at me.  I thought about it later and i was wondering was he looking at the girl next to me? Then without a pause i thought well he couldn't have been looking at me (at least not in a good way) i don't have any make up on.

I told the girls at work, and they all had similar story's. Where they figured because they had no make up on that a guy looking at them wasn't looking in a positive way.

I love make up and always will, I couldn't imagine my life without it. But I wonder do you think this way ever? like embarrassed or uncomfortable if you do not have make up on? Is there a downside to make up?

LCResz

Re: When i wake up i put on my make up, becuase im ugly without it?

Wow, reading through these comments so far has been an eye-opening experience. I will chalk up a lot of it to age and cultural differences.

To answer your question, no I do not feel like I need to wear makeup in order to leave the house, have confidence, or feel attractive. I was not allowed to wear makeup growing up: my mother didn't wear makeup except for special occasions when she knew family pictures were going to be taken, and even then it was just mascara and lipstick, but she did get her hair done since she went prematurely gray in her early 20s. I feel this way, I love makeup but I rarely wear more than concealer and lip balm, I save the makeup for going out.

This is the prevailing mentality in my circle of friends: makeup is for special occasions, if you wear it every day you'll age yourself prematurely and come across as desperate for attention. I got plenty hit on all through high school and college with no makeup on, still do. I believe that I was lucky enough to grow up in a time and culture where the pressure to look "picture perfect" was less than it is today. I find putting on makeup to be a fun escape, like putting on a party dress, not a necessity.

So strange, I was told many a time, while makeup free, that I was an intimidating person because of the way I spoke and carried myself. I dated one fellow who saw me teach a class and broke up with me because he said he couldn't compete with my skills. I managed this makeup free.

I guess if you need makeup to feel confident that's fine, but I am happy to go out makeup free on a daily basis, however I do spend way too much on good skin care, so I guess that's the "makeup" I use to feel good about how I present myself to the world. I do wonder if everyone who says that makeup is a must is the picture taking kind. I don't really post much on Facebook, I don't have a Twittter or Instagram account, so I rarely take pics to post. Is this obsession with documenting every mundane detail of life putting undue pressure on people to always be "on" and ready for one's close up? 

Meg82

(0) Hearts

I think we are of similar ages (I'm 31) so any differences between us must be temperament or something (unless I'm wrong about your age. totally possible)

I wouldn't say that I need makeup to feel confident, but it is a handy shortcut to confidence in situations where I feel shaky.  I feel like it gives me more control over how I'm perceived and in situations where I want to project more confidence than I have, makeup is a quick way to get control and put out more confidence.

I only started wearing makeup a few months ago so I am certainly more than capable of getting through a day without it, but I like it because I like control and it gives me control over my face even when I'm in situations where I don't have control over much else.  

I am not much for pictures of myself (80% of the time if I need an avatar for something I put up a picture of my cat, the picture I use here is one of like 3 pictures that I like enough to use as profile pictures and the only reason I took this particular picture was because a friend wanted an example of a bold lip color that I liked) and neither are my friends so I can't speak to the picture taking correlation to makeup love.  But I do have a twitter and so I definitely document the mundane details of life.  Just with no pictures.

LCResz

37 :smileyhappy: Culturally I am Cuban and Ecuadorian, I grew up in Miami, where everybody pretty much looks like me. Since I moved to another county I get looked at as exotic, go figure. The picture taking I noted because my students seem to be very concerned about their looks, even though I think they all look so young and fresh faced, so wrinkle free and adorable :smileyhappy: They all want to look like the girls on TV, heavy eyeliner, bright lips, even though they know they'll get in trouble and be sent to the office to wash their faces. Maybe it is temperament, I am not rebellious by nature at all, or deal well with peer pressure. My mom had to be the one to make sure I dressed nicely when I was a teenager, she didn't believe that guys would like girls wearing jeans and a Ren and Stimpy t-shirt. But my devil-may-care attitude certainly seems to intrigue those around me, so who knows. Everybody can do whshaver he or she wants, as long as nobody tries to pressure me into conforming. I don't respond well to people imposing their values on me, it gets my dander up and makes me soap-boxy.

wendyomgwar

I remember in high school I use to wake up an hour early just to do my makeup and stuff because I needed my "Face" on. Thank goodness I don't think that way any more lol. I usually go makeup free most days but I do feel like I look better: more rested, brighter, etc. with some makeup on. And every now and then when I meet a cute guy I'll be like I wish I had on some makeup! Lol

pinkonyx

[ Edited ]

i remember when i was younger one of miy older cousins used to tell me to always wear atleast lipstick because you never know who your going to see in public. Ill tell you what too there has been a couple of times i was like darn it i wish i would have took her advice. 

neko333

If I took that advice I would look like a clown everyday. I have seriously given up on lipstick for now. It just looks so off on me. At first I thought it was color now I just think it's my face. I feel like I look like a kid that got into her moms makeup. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I can't step out of my house without makeup on! It's mostly because of the hyper-pigmentation i have. If it would fade i would feel confident enough to go outside in a light coverage BB cream or tinted moisturizer. But i need at least Medium to Full coverage! 

I don't think there are too many downsides to makeup, Just being careful you don't over do it and everyone knows you have a ton of makeup on. I like to keep my makeup looking Natural, just enhancing, and sometimes a Bold lip.

Also on a side note, I used to feel really uncomfortable when i didn't do my hair. My hair has a slight wave, a little frizz But i always felt weird when didn't Straighten/ Curl it. But now i go out every day with it Natural. 

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

I dont have hyper pigmentation but i do have acne and im 25! I remember when i first started getting acne when i was 13 i was like its okay ill grow out of it, BAM 12 years later i still wish and hope ill "grow out of it". At this point im thinking of trying accutane. 

jaimelove

did you try the algenist 10 days thing? my blotchy redness is looking really good since i did that! and i have used the truth serum the last two days since stopping that... my face *almost* looks normal! there's a quarter sized spot on my lower left cheek that's always a bit darker than the rest, and even that is barely noticeable right now :smileyhappy: and none of it aggrivated my rosacea or irritated my skin! 

i also used the boscia white mask the other night and noticed a HUGE difference as well :smileyhappy: i haaaaaated applying it, it was like thick sticky paint, got all over my hands and in my hair, hard to control. as i was applying it i kept telling myself that this one was definitely off of the list of "to buy", but the results were worth it! the charcoal one is so much easier to apply, and also didn't irritate my skin. i liked that one a lot :smileyhappy: cleared my pores awesomely! 

i can't say 100% that it was any one of these things, or a combination of them because i've been using a lot of my samples to clear out my overflowing inventory. but my coloring has never looked so even :smileyhappy: 

arielaaaaaaaa

I have hyper-pigmentation from past Acne, So those spots are there to stay for a while. I've tried the OH Serum, I love it, But takes time and isn't the most effective for dark spots. I don't like the Boscia White Mask, I have it and i hurts so much to peel off, And i don't see a difference. I've been using a ton of different things and they are working, it just takes time. But i don't mind putting on makeup, i love my Makeup routine in the mornings. I just hope the spots go away soon! But I appreciate your recommendations! :smileyvery-happy:

jaimelove

(0) Hearts

i know there are some things out there for spots like that, but i have never tried any. hope you find something soon that helps cover them up! 

Meg82

When I have makeup on I feel more in control of my presentation of self and thus more confident. And I think that people are attracted to confidence.

When I'm not wearing makeup I don't feel bad, I just also don't feel that extra jolt of good that comes with the makeup.

For me, the downside of getting into makeup, especially so late in life, is that there are a thousand subtle things about my face that I never noticed before but now I see them as flaws. I don't really know how to undo that though and at least for now the benefit of the control/confidence outweighs the new insecurities.  If that changes at any point I will probably take a break from makeup.

carolang

Wow everything you said resonates with me so well. I like the confidence it brings. But then again I have been over scrutinizing myself now, noticing little lines, large pores, etc etc. glad I have someone around to put it into words!

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

definitely the best part about wearing make up is the confidence it brings!

neko333

Ah that happened to me. I had on some makeup. Just a little bit of auburn mascara and some tinted moisturizer. I was dressed all sloppy. I had on a frumpy black fleece jacket, and cargo pants. My hair was brushed but that was about it. I was in the store early in the morning and a random guy I had never met came up and said "I don't mean to embarrass you, but you're the prettiest girl I've ever seen". I said thank you and turned away. Mainly because my first thought was to be like a bunny and hide in my rabbit hole. I've gotten hit on/complimented at the beach when I'm not wearing any makeup as well. However I chock that up to being in a bikini. 

pinkonyx

yah, its like are your really hitting on me, now?

jellybean917

I am most often asked out in public right after I work out. No makeup, sweaty, altogether kind of gross.

I talked to several guys about this phenomenon, and there seem to be 2 schools of thought:

1. I'm sweaty and disheveled, and that reminds men of sex.

2. I clearly have low self-confidence, so I'll probably be flattered and say yes.

Thank goodness I'm taken. If this is what random guys are thinking when they look at women, I'm slightly disgusted.

neko333

(0) Hearts

Plus you are probably wearing tight clothing. Yoga pants maybe? Every guy I know says it's basically like seeing the woman naked. 

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

good points, basically both reasons would be bad...

neko333

I've come to terms that men won't ask you out if you look overly confident or nice. They fear rejection. It's easier to target a girl with low self confidence. I guess the lesson there is if your looking for a boyfriend more men will approach you that way(rather than just look). However the quality of what you get also comes into question. If they don't think they measure up to you at your best what does it say they think about themselves. I find something troubling about men who instinctively target weak links. They themselves lack confidence or they want an easy mark. In conclusion ask the guys out instead. It gives you more control over the situation. 

Oh, another thing is if you get asked out frequently and reject them, guys will stop asking you out. Mainly because they think they'll fail before they even try.

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

so glad i have a boyfriend and don't have to play the single game. 

its all so complicated to be single. funny thing though my boyfriend prefers me to be fresh faced no make up at all. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 64 replies
  • 105 hearts
  • 27 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • kenny
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar
    • neko333
    • MermaidBarbie