irenet

What was your very First purchase at Sephora and Why take the plunge?

We've all been there...a bag full of unused or disappointing make up from the drug store, which I still like but without the ability to try before buy you end up with a lot of fails. Then you find Sephora and wonder, is the price worth it? You try a few things, you like a few things, you see the price tag and tell yourself: "Eh, I can go with ramen noddles for a week to afford this." And then you buy it. What was your first purchase? Why did you choose it? I always like hearing other stories like this. Share on!

cspriverratz

Re: What was your very First purchase at Sephora and Why take the plunge?

(0) Hearts

Ohmygosh, my first purchase is quite embarrassing! I didn't start using like quality make-up until I was 17 in 2011, it was just something I didn't care about. Totally fine using Covergirl mascara and Revlon loose powder foundation. I did use Clinique foundation sometimes, now that I think about it. Anyways, my first Sephora purchase wassss....a bottle of Philosophy Candy Cane scented Shampoo, Bath, and Shower gel. I'm a total makeup addict now, I own practically every mascara and eyeshadow palette known to mankind! I remember seeing an advertisement in some magazine about their sale and thought i'd see what they had. Little did I know this would lead me to a full-scale beauty addiction. I think it was those little samples they give you that got me hooked! :smileyhappy: My first make-up related purchase experience was in 2012 though, I bought a Sephora Sundisc Bronzer, Smashbox tinted moisturizer, Buxom mascara, Clinique eyeliner, Anastasia Brow Pencil, and a Marc Jacobs Daisy rollerball. Hey, go big or go home, right? :smileywink:

HotGeekGirl

My first Sephora purchase:

Hanae Mori Butterfly EDP 1.7 oz.

Sephora Times Square

November 2001

For those that can remember back that far, that was a very sad and difficult time, with the world still reeling from the 9/11 terror attacks. NYC was still in mourning, Ground Zero was still a pile of rubble, and people all over the city had the wide-eyed expression of stunned shock and grief (I'm getting choked up just writing this. Happens every time). Seeking a diversion, I went down to Sephora Times Square with a friend. It was my first time shopping at Sephora, and I have a very clear memory of rows and rows of pretty shiny new things. I got lost in the aisles, wandering through the makeup, perfume, and skincare sections, and it was one of the first times after 9/11 that I felt optimistic that we would all start to heal and recover from that horrific day. I still have that bottle of perfume. The butterfly on top has a chip from me dropping it, years ago. I guess the metaphor is obvious: like that bottle, we were damaged beyond repair, but not broken. I actually never put this all to words before, but the imagery is very powerful for me now. I guess I'll never be able to bring myself to get rid of that bottle.

katie1724

What a fun question! I'm almost positive my first Sephora purchase (2003-ish, in France) was a Lancôme Juicy Tube in Violette -- it was the most beautiful pale violet color that looked like clear gloss on the lips (I bought Mûre (blackberry) right after that…I really wish they still made these colors), and Benefit's The Gloss in Kiss Me (it was an orchid color). I also bought the Benefit BadGal liner (the discontinued chubby one) on one of my first Sephora trips. My first blush purchase was definitely NARS Orgasm -- I was obsessed with it. 

HotGeekGirl

Juicy Tubes were EVERYTHING in 2003! I had the peach flavored one and the chai latte flavored one. Yum!

Mochapj

My first Sephora purchase happened years ago when they opened a store in Canada.  I'd heard of Sephora from friends in the US, and was itching to check it out.

If I recall correctly, the first thing I bought was a Tarte 8 pack mini lipgloss set and an eyelash curler.  

After that, I was hooked.  My office at the time was right across the street from a Sephora, so I was in there easily once a week on my lunch hour, if not more.

I think what drew me in was the sheer volume of products.  I also find the way Sephora stores are laid out more conducive to shopping.  And, unlike some department stores here that sell luxury and midrange cosmetics, I never found the Sephora staff to be snooty or make me feel like I shouldn't be there.

shadetertiary

(0) Hearts

I bought a Sephora quint in 2008 or so after a few friends talked me into it.  It was my only eyeshadow palette for years, but I didn't wear makeup every day.

Then in 2011 I was complaining about trying to find a face powder in a drugstore and my mom took me in to get color matched.  I walked out with Benefit Hello Flawless foundation and powder in ivory shades.  Still the best match I've ever found!  I wasn't interested in wearing it every day though, and couldn't ever see myself being addicted to makeup!

Last year after our wedding I started experimenting more - I loved the Lancôme stuff I had purchased for the big day, and a friend recommended the Fresh balms, so I became a BI.  I quickly fell in love with trying fun sets and new products. It's still amazing to me that a year ago I didn't wear makeup out regularly and now it's one of my favorite things!

DrProducts

My first knowledge of Sephora came in those gorgeously put together catalogs of yore, which really enticed me. Prior to that, my experience of high end cosmetics was Dior, Clinique, & Lancome.  I remember buying a UD "Heavy Metal " set that  included glitter, glitter eye liner, primer, and a shade or two. It was great, and appropriate since my SO was in a metal band.  Next I ended up getting bath products in the Sephora White and Sephora Brown line ( wish they still had them).  There just always seemed to be more to try, and here I am!  And I love Urban Decay!

EllieWinn

(0) Hearts

My very first Sephora purchase was the Urban Decay Skull Shadow Box! I was in seventh grade and used it wildy! I went through it crazy fast and repurchased it! I soon became obsessed with Midnight Cowboy Rides Again and that shadow really did ride with me until the very end of my glittery eyeshadow phase! 

1205864161-65537_full.jpg

Azalea14

(0) Hearts

First purchase at Sephora was SMOKED by Urban Decay. I was in this only smokey eye look phase. After that, I venture deeply into Sephora to never look back....except for Chanel of course :smileyhappy:

lilica2468

i was already using MAC make up for the past 3 years but than i discovered the naked pallet 2 and my bank account went down hill from that haha

shyvicki

[ Edited ]

My first Sephora haul was a Smashbox eye makeup set (there was different sets for different eye colors), Korres lip gloss trio, and a Stila foundation sampler set that came with a convertible color. On another beauty forum I had originally won an e-gift card for Estee Lauder, but there ended up being an issue with the prize and the forum site replaced it with a Sephora e-gift card. I had never even heard of Sephora before then. After receiving that first haul and trying and loving what I bought, I was hooked. That was four years ago.

Before then, the only higher-end makeup I owned was what my grandma gave me of the free-with-purchase items she got at Macy's. Being on a retail worker's budget, I didn't understand why anyone would pay more than $10 for a single makeup item. I have since come to realize that you get what you pay for. I have no problem making VIB every year. Rogue is still a stretch for me, though. I've since discovered a face powder that keeps my combination-skin face shine-free all day long and shadow primer is the key to keeping my eye shadow on without creasing. 

talinder

The first things I remember buying from Sephora was NARS Outlaw blush (from the first time it was in production) and an Iman stick foundation in the New York store. I may have ordered a Smashbox LE lipgloss from the catalog before that, but it may have been after. I started shopping with Sephora because the catalogs seemed so glamorous. (That's right, this was pre-internet shopping y'all!) The other thing that really drew me in is there was makeup targeted to brown women. I had no interest in the standard counter brands. Sephora just seemed extra special. They let you play in the make up for goodness sakes!

trishalyn

(0) Hearts

Oh, I remember now. It was Ipsy!!! They sent me a sample of Benetint and other little samples and that was how I started wearing makeup. a little blush here, face powder there, then shadows and mascara, Before I couldn't care less about how I looked but now I can't even go to work without stuff on my face. Ipsy made me do it. I blame Ipsy!

SydBristow

I was already using Bare Minerals which I was pretty happy with. But I completely lacked a skincare routine and had one significant wrinkle between my brows, with another appearing plus one higher up on my forehead. It was time to be better to my skin.

I was reading articles online, and the owner/creator of a high-end skincare line and spa in California had a list of her top favorite products, the Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Pads being one of them. So I looked online for a place to buy - enter Sephora. That was almost two years ago. Then I liked a few of the samples I got so I purchased more things. When I started posting on these boards it was highly enabling :smileyhappy: as I was able to get direct feedback about the things that would work best specifically for me and my skin type from other beauty addicts. :smileyhappy:

I haven't used drugstore in a long time, but what is significant is the scope of my collection now, :smileyhappy: But it makes me happy, so I think that's worth it, :smileyhappy:

maltipoo66

Does anyone remember the Benefit "Her Name was Glowla" Palette?  That was my first purchase.  It had about 5 shadows, and all the classic Benefit samples like a High beam, Moon beam, Coralista, Bad Gal lash, and a lip gloss-so I learned a lot about their products. It must've been about 5 years ago!

End0ra

My first purchase(s) were in 2010.  I was in Hollywood for a conference and went for a stroll the first evening I was there.  There was a Sephora in the mall attached to my hotel.  I had no idea what it was and went in for a look, and I was instantly like a kid in some kind of store.  I needed one little thing (and I cannot remember for the life of me what it was), but I walked out with a foundation, concealer, a MUFE metallic gold eyeshadow (which I still have and love) and a few brushes.  And a foil of the Smashbox Iconic primer.

Fast forward to November last year.  I was travelling for work again and found the foil in my travelling makeup bag.  Thought I'd give it a try just for fun and LOVED it.  It was still ok after all that time!  And was reminded of my Sephora fun years back, but thought nothing more of it.

Then, Feb this year.  I went to my usual department store to get another Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, only to find the LM counter was gone and they had pulled out of Australia completely, as far as I could tell.  I cannot live without my LM tinted moisturizer.  I remembered Sephora again and thought I'd see if I could order it online. And I could.

I pretty much don't shop at that department store anymore.

And that is the story of how Aunty End0ra became enabled, addicted, and will be triple Rouge by the end of the year.

Mcakes

I was in high school or just graduated and needed a Too Faced fix (I was first introduced to Too Faced when I was about 8 or 9 because my mom let me buy a pink lipgloss from them and have been hooked ever since!). I bought the Smokey Eye palette (this is back when there was still a Fashion Smoke section lol), Bad Gal from Benefit and Diorshow. 

trishalyn

It was the Naked Palette for me, which led to Naked 2, which then evolved into an obsession with high end beauty and skin care products.

I never wore make-up before then, but after using that palette and some really well matched MUFE foundation, I was hooked.

emmohh

You know what I was actually no stranger to mid and high end makeup by the time I decided to step into a Sephora.

I had been buying the majority of my makeup from counters at a major department store in my city. I randomly walked into a Sephora maybe 4 or 5 years ago when I was in the States and I had no idea what it was. It was a last minute stop and I was on my way out of the mall but I remember I needed a mascara and I just happened to pass by this store that sold just makeup I guessed at the time. I asked the associate for something to give me volume. She suggested one by Sephora. I bought it and was on my way. It was a pleasant experience but I still didn't quite know what Sephora was. It wasn't until a year later that I remembered this store existed when I was on the hunt for a bronzer in a shade that wasn't available in my area. I happened to be in the States, popped in and saw what Sephora had to offer. From that point on I was semi-hooked as it still wasn't available in my area but on a trip to a major city a few of my girlfriends who loved the store decided we needed to go to every Sephora in the city and my addiction when into over drive. I have been pretty loyal for the past few years.

waterbaby1981

Urban Decay 15th Anniversary 24/7 Eyeliner Set.  I had never set foot in Sephora before, much less bought anything really high end other than Laura Mercier at Nordstrom, so it was totally a spur of the moment purchase when the Clackamas Town Center location in Portland opened up.  Then I found out there was a Sephora inside JCP...and that's where I found the Naked palette.

And such began my makeup collecting days.  I'm sure my husband hates Sephora with the passion of a thousand fiery suns by now.  We've agreed NOT to tally up how much I spent at Sephora this month.  And I can't buy anything else unless I run out or the VIB sales start around my birthday in November.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 107 replies
  • 110 hearts
  • 80 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • killerteeth
    • shyvicki
    • lovelykatya
    • maltipoo66