irenet

What was your very First purchase at Sephora and Why take the plunge?

We've all been there...a bag full of unused or disappointing make up from the drug store, which I still like but without the ability to try before buy you end up with a lot of fails. Then you find Sephora and wonder, is the price worth it? You try a few things, you like a few things, you see the price tag and tell yourself: "Eh, I can go with ramen noddles for a week to afford this." And then you buy it. What was your first purchase? Why did you choose it? I always like hearing other stories like this. Share on!

redwagon44

Re: What was your very First purchase at Sephora and Why take the plunge?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think my first purchases were Nars blush in orgasm, Duwop lip venom, and that flavored body shimmer by Urban Decay in peppermint! I had totally forgotten about that body shimmer until I thought about this! Please tell me I'm not the only one who used these, lol

upload_152748737614576400.jpg

clove760

i loveeee those! I wish I still had the puff though! 

RandeeBT

I loved the Urban Decay Body Powders!  I am sad I missed out on Peppermint. That sounds amazing! I remember the marshmallow one though! :smileywink: 

Best,
Randee
redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Oooo, I remember the marshmallow one!! So good. I had the gingersnap one too. Loved those!!

dianabt

There was peppermint? SHHH I still have a marshmallow one someplace.. =/

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Lol, that's fantastic. I remember throwing mine out about a year ago. The packaging was just so beat up from moving around college houses for 5 years. It was a sad day :smileysad:

kbmatthews

Mine was MUFEs HD powder. I was following some video blogger and loved her finished look, and that was the one high end item she used... so I went and bought it. But it didn't sell me into loving Sephora.

I then bought Tarte's Emphaseyes inner rim brightener and a MUFE black eyeliner, and I was amazed at the staying power. That got me more intrigued with higher end brands (compared to drugstore stuff). I think I was about 19.

MysticalAngel

(0) Hearts

M first Sephora purchase was in 2006. I was on a high school grad trip to NYC and saw the Sephora in Times Square. I had heard about Sephoras in magazines but where I lived in Canada we didn't have one. (The only Sephora in Canada during this time was in the West Edmonton Mall)

Anyways, I saw all the pretties in this Sephora. I ended up purchasing a perfume from Jessica Simpson's "Dessert" line anyone remember that?! I was on sale and I got it for $20.

I only got a Sephora in my area in the summer of 2008.

LariTheLoud

My first-ever Sephora purchase was years and years ago, and it was Urban Decay's eyeshadow single in Half-Baked. That was before my recent addiction of course!

andyhtrieu

My very first purchase was the Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo foundation. I heard a lot of great things about it on YouTube and I wanted to try it because it had full coverage to cover my acne. I ended up returning it because it was too thick for me. 

My first purchase that I still use today is the NARS Sheer Glow (what a surprise). I wanted a more natural finish after trying the KVD. 

StyleLynn

(0) Hearts

My very first purchase from Sephora was the Cinderella Compact and Storylook Palette, two purchases I definitely don't regret! After that I became a monthly customer.

jemly

[ Edited ]

i know the first time i went was over 10 years ago, with my best friend in austin tx. i remember being overwhelmed by the choice. but for the LIFE of me--and i have a really good memory--i can't be for sure what my first purchase was. BUT, i remember a very early purchase that could've been The First. in 2002/2003 there was this trend of having glossy eyelids. not shimmery eyelids, not metallic--glossy. the whole look in those days was for everything to look wet, really wet. lips, skin, eyelids. and i found a tube of eyelid gloss. clear gloss supposedly made for eyes instead of lips. pretty sure it was calvin klein brand, i might be wrong. i remember the SA telling me that the clear version was being discontinued (or it was a limited edition, something of that nature) so i had better scoop it up. and i did. it was gloopy, heavy, the wetness made any other eye makeup i was wearing just slide off--to the bottom of my eyes and god knows where else on my face. i was just an awkward slick disaster all over. 

god i'm smiling just remembering this !

those were the super super early sephora days.

i remember my first sephora gift. this is before sephora arrived in austin and therefore before the above faux pas happened. my cousin was living in nyc and had gone to the sephora in time square, and bought a bunch of sephora brand lipglosses to bring back to my cousins and i. i remember her explaining to us what this 'sephora' place was. i didn't get it.

a few years after that i was the one living in new york . so many hours spent (procrastinating from life) in various sephoras. particularly the one is soho and the one in union square. often to just smell the perfumes and colognes that i could smell and be instantly transported to different memories.

meagboho

Around 2 years ago I got TF Glamour to Go, Bareminerals starter kit, a Stila palette (stylish in Tokyo), and TF cat eye kit.  Because I saw something about Ebates, joined, Sephora had a huge sale so I bought a bunch of stuff on sale that sat in the box til recently :smileytongue:

notcreative

[ Edited ]

I had just gotten back into makeup a couple of weeks before my first Sephora purchase.  My husband shopped at Sephora, so I had heard of it.  After investing in a bunch of somewhat expensive makeup brushes, I wanted to take care of them properly.  I researched what to buy and site after site recommended the Sephora branded one.  I was also in the market for a new scalp treatment.  Of course, $36 plus $6 did not equal $50.  I refuse to pay for shipping, so I found a couple more things to buy.  It was nice that they were running a promo for fake tanning cream too, because I had always wanted to try some.  I had no interest in buying any until I tried it though.

Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 2.16.53 PM.png

irenet

Oddly enough my first purchase wasn't make up but hair oil. Ojon Rare Blend Hair Therapy. My hair was fried and just unhealthy and I needed a change. Drug store hair masks and oils just wasn't helping anymore. I found this at Sephora and it smelled so good. When I tried it I was hooked so much so that the next week I went back and bought a second bottle. I branched out from there and hit the Urban Decay aisle and it was safe to say that was it for me.

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I love Ojon's Rare Blend hair Therapy.  I have never purchased it from Sephora though.  For Ojon, I usually wait for a good GWP and order directly from the brand.

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

Good hair oil is such an important investment! I'm glad it worked your first purchases worked out for you. :smileyhappy: 

Best,
Randee
annypoo

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

My first purchase at Sephora was definitely an Urban Decay purchase. I can't quite remember if it was the eye primer in original or the 24/7 eye liner in zero. I think I tried it at my friend's place and fell in love with it. That was the beginning of my addiction to makeup. I've had drug store makeup before and some clinique/estee lauder stuff from my mom, but I never went out and spent a lot of money on makeup. Now I can't stop!

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

I can't stop either, I buy lots but never really get to use it. When by myself I would wear lipstick & earrings. 

dianabt

[ Edited ]

What a fun post! My first purchase at Sephora was probably around 2001 or earlier.. I bought a Tony & Tina brown eyeliner that was FULL of gold glitter and it was AMAZING. After that I got hooked and eventually went to freelance as an artist for DuWop cosmetics before going to work directly with Sephora in a store. :smileyhappy: So many great products and the variety is incredible!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Girly2Shoes

Really can't remember what my first purchase was. Have lots of makeup, but no time to play with it. Some of the Sephora ladies were very helpful with picking out& putting it on me. Also the beautiful ladies on this site have been very supportive of me, as a man wearing makeup. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 113 hearts
  • 81 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • killerteeth
    • shyvicki
    • lovelykatya
    • maltipoo66