onomotopoeia9

What should I do about my super-light (UD 0.5 shade in foundation) skin?

Ok, so my skin is super light and I typically do not get much tan at all. (Only burns, and I prevent it because its dangerous) ). With the summer up ahead, I'm trying to figure out what to do when everyone else is getting glowing tans.

Is such pale skin considered ugly or nerdy?

Honest opinions please.

beautylovingirl

Re: What should I do about my super-light (UD 0.5 shade in foundation) skin?

@crazyRN- My tan last about 7 days when I do the Kate Somerville Tan Towels.

jennypenny1995

That's supposed to read "identical twins" not "twists".  : o

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I definitely agree with JennyPenny if your gonna get any sort of tan make it a fake one for sure!

onomotopoeia9

Thanks for your support guys!

jennypenny1995

I'm a nurse.  Be warned: Any tan is actually a sign of damage to the skin.  I personally know 2 people who died in their early 40s from melanoma--the worst kind of skin cancer you can get.  Studies on identical twists show the Top 2 things that age us in appearance: 1) the sun and 2) smoking.  Stop, people, stop!

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

U know ur stuff, and you definitely have me convinced!

jennypenny1995

Aw, so glad!  I'm fair, too.  Not gonna shrivel up or die all in the name of "glow".  It is what it is.  To this day, I have classmates that tell me I'm the only one that hasn't aged.  I stopped trying to be tanned in college.  Not a day of regret since.

crayzeeRN

Nurse high five.

starletta8

Pale skin is beautiful- just like those born with beautiful caramel complexions are beautiful, those olive-toned beauties, and the darker complexions.  If you're born with it, it's beautiful.  I tend to think that nothing is wrong with the miracle of human life and its many colors.  Own it!

I don't even try to tan- I find it looks fake on me.  I also look much younger than I am since I don't have sun damage.  Embrace your paleness and ignore the haters.  Compare skin when you're both 50!

mkupgk

No in Asia we only consider "white skin" pretty.  I don't know y people are so obsessed with getting tans.  Just wear sunscreen during the summer b/c that foundation does not have spf :smileywink:. Good luck.  

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

I wear neutrogena's dry touch 100 spf :smileyhappy:

mkupgk

nice!!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

No way -- it's beautiful! I embrace my blue-tinged pallor, but I know that can be difficult in a world of bronzed beauties. A tan looks really healthy, but 1) it isn't, and is terribly dangerous, and 2) if your skin is that pale, it just doesn't tan, and any kind of fake tan doesn't look natural (at least on me, but I know there are really good self-tanners out there). Personally, I just stay out of the sun -- if I'm outdoors, it's usually under an umbrella and the only time I'm uncovered is when I'm actually in a pool or swimming. I always wear a hat, too (sometimes even in the pool). I burn so easily, and it's just not worth it. I know it can be difficult to embrace, but being pale is not considered ugly or nerdy -- and your skin will thank you (!) as you get older. I know people who tanned in their teens and 20s and they look significantly older than I do at this point (and I wasn't vigilant about sun protection until my later teens). :smileyhappy:

As others have mentioned, too -- it's all about embracing your natural color. My dad has super dark skin that tans deeply and quickly; other than our eye color, we don't even look like we're related. While I wish I had inherited his skin, I didn't, and that's fine. I think darker skin is so beautiful -- I never understood the bleaching / whitening product craze, because if I were naturally darker, I'd be really thrilled...but I guess the grass is always greener. :smileyhappy:

berniebeauty

My aunt used to have melanoma, and though she's better now she is a sunscreen nut. My family is Irish so we are all pale and she gets on us about reapplying the gunk and using hats, but I honestly am thankful.

I am personally fine with my pale skin and think that it is beautiful, but I know the standard is tan skin. Once I was doing a costume change for a show and another actress was like, "girllll, you need to tan!" I just gave her a look, shook it off and laughed a little to ease tension, but in my head I was thinking have fun with the wrinkles you get from your tanning bed! 

As I say when ever I write a post, ~We are all beautiful~ and I truly believe that all skin tones and shades are. Beauty is about the confidence you have in the skin you're stuck in, so just be yourself and be lovely.

Last thing, being nerdy isn't bad. To quote John Green, "nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

And skin color has nothing to do with enthusiasm for the miracle of human consciousness :smileyhappy:

~We are all beautiful~

CinnamonSwirled

I think pale is beautiful if that's what you're meant to be naturally just like dark is beautiful if that's what nature gave you. Makeup is great for making little enhancements and polishing things up but letting your natural look always shine through is the best of all.

garnett

I think you should celebrate your porcelain beauty and play up this delicate quality.  I have a light complexion and dark hair and I don't even bother to try to tan because all that happens is burn-peel-itch.  Self tanners don't work for me either so I just decided to make peace with my features and play them up instead of fighting them. Pale skin is as beautiful as tan skin or dark skin.  The only thing that I ever consider UGLY is a bad or hateful attitude.  THAT is what makes a person hard to look at.  If someone makes a stupid comment don't take it to heart- pity the fool who can't seem to be a gracious and kind person.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I do mine once a week as long as your moisturize really good it will last longer.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Since your so pale I would definitely do tan towels. That way you will get just the right amount of color, anything else might turn funky on you and you don't want that. I personally love Kate Somerville's tan towels they dry in like two minutes and no transfer or any thing I used the other brand of tan towels also but I just didn't like them as well. There super easy so there won't be a big mess just make sure you exfoliate that 's a big step in self tanning. They have this entire kit everything you need for 58.00 and the towels by themselves are 48.00 so it's a better deal.s1407907-main-grid[1].jpg

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

How long does your tan tend to last with these towels?

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I agree with crazyRN use some tan towels or something just to give you some supple color. And if your comfortable with your pale skin then don't use anything. You should only fix the situation if YOUR not comfortable with it. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 50 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • jennypenny1995
    • berniebeauty
    • ChicDabbler
    • roxystar4