punctuationgeek

What's your date makeup?

I used to go more natural (MAC Patina eyeshadow, mascara, some eyeliner, and blush. Rarely lip products because I always get that gross white line on my bottom lip). That makeup got me compliments on my "rosy cheeks," and one guy even asked if my cheeks were naturally that rosy. (Answer: B****, please, it's as natural as Joan Rivers' face).

Now, I like to wear a lot more makeup. I usually do a neutral eyeshadow (nothing in the crease; darn hooded lids), black gel liner, some gray eyeshadow smudged under my eye (usually a bit lower since I like to make my eyes look rounder and larger), white liner on the waterline, lots of mascara, false lashes, a pink blush, contouring, and some sort of lip product (it depends on what I'm wearing; I hate matchy-matchy makeup, so if I'm wearing red, I'll go for a lighter lip color).

So what's your go-to date makeup? Has it changed at all over the years?

ladyace74

Re: What's your date makeup?

(0) Hearts

I never really given it much thought, but I usually do my makeup how I am feeling and what I am wearing. Although, I will try not to wear anything "weird". For example, one person I dated did not like my pink eyelashes. :smileysad:

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

Have you seen the Manic Panic false lashes? They're available on Nordstrom, and they come in some fun colors :smileyhappy:upload_2163266518845188805.jpg

LindenAnn

Well, when I first started dating my husband (16 years ago?) I was 16 and didn't usually wear makeup. I MIGHT have worn some foundation on our first date, but I'm not sure. Nowadays I use the excuse of "date nights" to do fun makeup looks, like a purple smokey eye and pinky nude lip or winged liner with red lips. My husband usually comments on how pretty I look on those occasions, but he also frequently says that when I do a neutral-no-makeup/hey-I-just-happen-to-have-perfect-skin look too so I think he might just be saying that. lol

midnightangel

For me it totally depends on the type of date. Obviously I wouldn't wear the same makeup to an elegant party as I would to a monster truck rally. lol

And if our "date" is something like going to a water park or surfing, then I wouldn't wear any.

Tonight I'm going out for dinner (not as a date but still...) and my planned makeup is: foundation, concealer, loose powder, 3 shades of eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner along bottom lashline (maybe), and some kind of sheer, dark lipgloss. A touch of glitter may or may not be involved.

So yeah, it's about whatever I think is appropriate for the activity involved. It varies. And I rarely rock the same look twice in a row. :smileywink:

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

My dates have all been pretty casual (small town with very little that isn't casual, and I'm a college student--in other words, no chance of anything fancy happening haha), so I tend to opt for casual makeup. However, I sometimes like to slap on some massive false lashes and bright or dark lipstick, and feel a bit glamorous. The perk of being single is that I can do whatever I want with my makeup and no one's there to comment/complain (and then get dumped for having the audacity to tell me what to do) :smileywink:

malday

@chupi all I could think of is this:

cartman

melde

Basically this is my life. Weird makeup and candy.

ShinyMagpie

LOL. I love this episode. I just saw a rerun last week. It's what I say to my husband all the time. 

chupi

Yes! That is what I was referencing! Maybe that will be my next date look!

ContentlyKayKay

I feel a makeup tutorial in the woooorks! :smileywink:

Urbie

(0) Hearts

these days, my "date" make up is usually...some primer and maybe doing my brows?  but we've been together for 5.5 years and he has seen me from glammed up to dealthy ill and I'm not usually a big make up person.

BUT for fancy occasions, I love doing a gel liner wing tip eyeliner look, neutral eyeshadow, a warm pink blush, and sometimes a super red lip!  It's fun to put on makeup like that since I don't usually wear a full face!

chupi

I wore yellow eyeshadow to my date last night. I was playing around in a Sephora before hand. I thought, "I really shouldn't wear yellow eyeshadow on a  first date... But eff it, I do what I want!".

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

Love it! I don't care for the YouTubers who insist that date makeup should be subtle--especially when they admit that they love wearing lots of makeup. I went the neutral route before--now I'm doing whatever I want. I'm single though, so not sure when I'll be going on a date haha.

malday

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

My go to date makeup is whatever I feel like wearing that day haha. It also depends on where we're going I guess. I think red lips are what I usually wore on my first few dates with my current bf. In my opinion, I'd rather the guy see me how I usually look rather than pull a bait and switch. My bf now asked me out for about two years (not joking) before I finally said yes so he had already seen all my looks and date makeup was not a worry for me.

HelloCoffee

I'm similar to ladymeag, my makeup depends on my mood and where we are going.  I also like to rotate looks/products.

If you are dating someone new, I wouldn't do the completely natural look because when you get more comfortable and wanna break out the bold stuff some guys are like "whhhaaaat?".  Establish early on that winged liner and red lips come with the package lol.

nikki

I think there's a difference between doing something to attract a guy and compromising your self expression.

I analogize it to wearing your cutest dress and best pushup. I save my sweatpants and my pink eyeshadow for after that initial courtship dance :smileyvery-happy:

ladymeag

I get what you're saying - I think I have a hard time separating them because I don't wear sweats at home, either. Even when it was just me and my cats, I would get up and put on the same leggings-and-knit-pencil-skirt I'll wear on a coffeehouse date. I have a few favorite outfits but I've had enough dining mishaps that I would never wear one of them on a dinner date. :smileyvery-happy: I think I have trouble separating it out because I really do wear what I want at all non-work times (and these days, I get to wear what I want at work times, which wasn't always the case. Even then, though, I wore stuff that fit into my general wardrobe, just in combinations that fell within workplace norms.) 

ladymeag

Anyone that has anything to say about my look-of-choice that's less positive than, "That's... interesting?" gets the boot. I got over dating people who felt like they could tell me what to wear or how to cut my hair or whatever pretty early on - you don't have to like it, I do! :smileyhappy:

SilveryPink

Smart HelloCoffee! If he doesnt like the magenta or red lips, he won't be able to deal with me.

nikki

Ditto. I base my makeup on what the date is. For my limited surveying of men, I've found they like the natural look (that took me an hour), followed by smokey eyes and then red lips. I've found they don't really like bold unnatural colors. So I save my hot pink lipstick until we get past the 3rd date. :smileywink: But never give it up, oh no, honey please.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 66 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • nikki
    • chupi
    • malday
    • ladyace74
    • ladymeag
    • Urbie