punctuationgeek

What's your date makeup?

I used to go more natural (MAC Patina eyeshadow, mascara, some eyeliner, and blush. Rarely lip products because I always get that gross white line on my bottom lip). That makeup got me compliments on my "rosy cheeks," and one guy even asked if my cheeks were naturally that rosy. (Answer: B****, please, it's as natural as Joan Rivers' face).

Now, I like to wear a lot more makeup. I usually do a neutral eyeshadow (nothing in the crease; darn hooded lids), black gel liner, some gray eyeshadow smudged under my eye (usually a bit lower since I like to make my eyes look rounder and larger), white liner on the waterline, lots of mascara, false lashes, a pink blush, contouring, and some sort of lip product (it depends on what I'm wearing; I hate matchy-matchy makeup, so if I'm wearing red, I'll go for a lighter lip color).

So what's your go-to date makeup? Has it changed at all over the years?

ladymeag

Re: What's your date makeup?

[ Edited ]

I'm in the man-repeller club, I think. I'd rather date a guy that didn't care at all that my lipstick was blue (well, okay, more likely black or purple or fuchsia - I haven't worn blue since the 90s.)  I tend to drag out more outrageous looks on the first and second dates so I can weed out the ones that aren't going to be cool with my personal expression. I know this is going to sound prudish but I also know I'm not going to mess up a bold lipstick on a first date. The "oh, I prefer a natural look - ew look at that girl over there with a shiny face and what's wrong with her eyebrows and why doesn't she get some contacts" attitude makes me ragey - there's nothing "natural" about neutral makeup, it's just a more commonly accepted color palette. 

punctuationgeek

You're so right about natural vs neutral makeup--I used the wrong word when I said I went "more natural." I guess after hearing YouTubers saying "today, I'm doing a natural look" have swayed me into not really thinking about the differences between natural and neutral. So let's all pretend I said "neutral" :smileywink:

melde

(0) Hearts

A-freaking-men.

HelloCoffee

That doesn't sound prudish to me at all!  And I agree about the natural thing…most men say they like natural makeup but many of them will critique a girl's appearance anyway.  

I also think you should make "there's nothing "natural" about neutral makeup, it's just a more commonly accepted color palette."  your official quote!  So true….it's just as much makeup/work to put on…just more accepted, as you said.

nikki

That's a very healthy way of looking at it.

And I agree about the neutral not being natural lol

I'm torn between the narrow societal patriarchal standards to attract a man and freely expressing myself. 

Thus my compromise to ensnare them, and then release my bold color side. I'm like the Venus Flytrap of BT. 

comfyrock

upload_8375540798740650109.jpg

nikki

(0) Hearts

Omg, I should make this my avatar :smileyvery-happy:

ladymeag

Now that's a plan I can get behind - trap 'em and blindside 'em. :smileyvery-happy: 

HelloCoffee

ha ha, I love it!!!!

HelloCoffee

[ Edited ]

yep, like I said, establish the bold stuff early!  My bf for years still doesn't like the winged liner, but I always tell him you met me like this!  (I have since compromised and won't wear it in front of his dad, lol….but that's it)

But I agree with nikki, it does seem most guys like natural looking makeup.  

nikki

:smileyvery-happy: Winged liner isn't even that bold or unnatural. It's like sexy and cat like. 

Men know nothing:smileysad:

HelloCoffee

I know!!!!!!   He thinks it's "ridiculous"….I ask him to elaborate and all he says is "ridiculous".  I also think it's sexy and catlike, but it can also be really elegant and give such a glamorous vibe….sigh, men know nothing indeed.

nikki

Well, I think sagging pants or shirts with the sleeves ripped off are ridiculous! (Not saying your boyfriend does those things)

They just don't understand. They roll out of bed and go :/

HelloCoffee

ha ha ha, he doesn't sag but yea, he rolls out of bed and goes lol

EllieyJelly

Neutral eye, MLBB lips, usually always Laguna bronzer, 4 different mascaras but never lashes unless it's a party or something. Blush depends on my mood.

ladymeag

I don't think I have a go-to date makeup. It'll change based on time of day and date location - drinks and dancing will likely bring along a smoky eye and a bold, matte lip; dinner and coffee will bring a neutral smoky eye (better in the low-light of a cafe) and a stained lip, probably in a berry shade; waterfall/beach/hiking/etc - SPF heavy, so well-blended foundation and probably a very light-handed shadow-at-the-lash-line with an SPF balm within reach (I'm going to be wearing a hat, sunglasses, and long sleeves anyway, so there's no point in wasting time on something no one will see, right?:smileywink: movie and whatever will mean the most waterproof of all liners and mascaras with a neutral-ish eye.) I also probably mean something different when I say "neutral" - mostly I mean not-bright-purple. :smileytongue: 

I'd say my makeup look changes every few years and my date looks are just general-use looks rotated in as appropriate. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 66 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • nikki
    • chupi
    • malday
    • ladyace74
    • ladymeag
    • Urbie