Fabz

What's in a Name?

If you know anything about makeup you know that some of the best parts of packaging is the name appeal. Some are cute and some tend to be a little x-rated :smileytongue:. My question to you is : Do names like - Orgasm & Deep Throat bother you? 

As a mother I would be a bit uncomfortable if my daughter came home with a product like this. :smileytongue: 

What say you?

MoreGun89

Re: What's in a Name?

You seriously cannot deny that absinthe is delicious in a Picasso on Coke though XD

krunce

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

As an art historian in training, I applaud you heartily :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

I'm not drawn to a product because of the name either.  I go for the product because of color, quality, etc.  Some of the names do crack me, though, and some of the name I would not tell other people.  However, the product names are no where near as a bad as "guy humor."  

I don't understand why some shades have such long names, especially OPI polish!  When I post on here, IG, or Facebook, I have to double check the bottle sometimes to make sure I have the right name lol.

drrragon

Fabz, I'm with you.  I'm not a mom but I do think names like that are somewhat lacking in taste and a little too much of "letting it all hang out there."  Also I don't like the idea that some guy who created those names is looking at millions of women wearing "Orgasm" on their faces and probably quite pleased with himself about it.  Just a bit too sordid for me.

cherrybombtastic

I'm not necessarily drawn to a product because of its name. Maybe the packaging helps, but ultimately it's the effectiveness of the product that makes me settle on it. I will say that the names of shades of makeup does make it more memorable, like even though I don't that much about MAC lipsticks, I know that Ruby Woo is a well-known color. Same goes for the NARS Orgasm blush. Overall, the names don't bug me, but I can imagine if someone would get bothered by the looks of the packaging. Good question!

sephoramusthave

swfupload_4068965236871035733.jpg

swfupload_6565050483010346929.jpg

swfupload_9176770441316366576.jpg

swfupload_1810548246874007389.jpgI've never bought a product just because of the name, and I'm not bothered by names like orgasm and deep throat. I think its all due to how you were raised--if your parents/guardians taught you that sex is something to be ashamed of, and that your body is some sort of sin...then yes, those people will most certainly be bothered by those kinds of names. But if you were taught that sex is a normal/healthy part of life, and that you should love your body instead of be ashamed of it...then the names shouldn't bother you as much.

I'm not a mother, so maybe my thoughts would change later on, but I don't see anything wrong with those names just because sex sells and it will always sell. I wouldn't throw those names around my 84 year old grandmother just because she comes from a different time and would most certainly be offended. Plus, I see more and more companies using sex to sell products---either in the name, or the picture in the packaging. It started with NARS I think...but then other brands like benefit and thebalm got into it too. TheBalm especially has very um...."oooo lala" kind of packaging.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Well, I disagree with the part where it seems like you are implying that if you don't think it's shameful, then you should be ok with the names (if that's not what you are implying, disregard this post). I don't think cursing is shameful, but I don't do it in public. Just because people dislike such blatant sex names doesn't mean they think sex shameful/unhealthy. With English being my 2nd language and working around plenty of guys, there were times when I first came that the guys were talking "guy stuff" in a whipser and I innocently asked them in a normal voice "what's xxx?" and the whole room just got really uncomfortable/awkward. I agree with the there is a time and place for everything, and such name on cosmetic is kind of unnecessary. I mean, even if you think sex is normal/healthy (which is what I think most adults think), would you just casually drop words like O and DT in a business meeting? (assuming you don't work at NARS, lol) what would you do if a kid asks you "aunty/mama, what's d**p th***t?". I wouldn't bat an eye at naked models in an art class, but I will call the police and punch whomever runs up to me completely naked in the middle of a street or kindergarten.

Anyways, just because it's not black doesn't mean it's white. This is one of those things with generous amount of grey areas, and I think I'd be able to make a better argument if I'm not functioning on 3hrs of sleep, so I will stop here before my thoughts go off to outer space.

drrragon

I reeeaaaaaalllllly wanna see beautytester punching some random flasher....that would be awesome! :smileyvery-happy:

ChicDabbler

*trying hard to resist posting pictures*

*unable to resist posting pictures*

If I ever encounter one, this will prob be how I feel:

swfupload_1111694471587476597.jpgAnd because what happens next may be a bit gory, it will be replaced by a kitty equivalent:

swfupload_1949642339227288483.jpg

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

this made me LOL. 

drrragon

[ Edited ]

omg hilarious!!!  best sneer ever!  and those curlers and the cigarette!  I have to take out my DVD and watch it again....

lylysa

The best part is how she keeps the cigarette in her mouth the whole time no matter what! :smileytongue:

lylysa

Kung Fu Hustle!!!!!!!

MoreGun89

Kung Fu Hustle?  It looks really familiar XD

lylysa

Judo chop!!! Haiiii yahhhh!!!!

Fabz

Agreed.

roxystar4

I dont think sex is bad at all but I think there is a time and a place for it. I dont think I would be comfortable with a 8 year old seeing  some of the images on thebalm packaging and wanting to emulate their poses. 

Fabz

I hadn't even thought about theBalm's packaging when considering this post. I would still feel uncomfortable with younger girls with this type of packaging but I do realize the objective is novelty. They are fun and sassy. 

daniim

Hey, at least theBalm sticks to 1940's/1950's pin-ups and not pin-ups from the 1960's or later! It keeps more fun and "safe" for younger generations.

onomotopoeia9

my sister wasn't all too thrilled when her eleven yr old daughter was begging her for the urban decay "booty-call" :smileyhappy:

personally, i care about the makeup more than the name...

but I do think its brilliant marketing of nars for the orgasm collection...i bet plenty of people out there are drawn by the name.

MoreGun89

I don't think so, if they bought it for the novelty of the name, yes.  If they bought it because the product looks amazing on them, no. :smileytongue:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 43 replies
  • 84 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • poemelyric
    • kimmi1115