Fabz

What's in a Name?

If you know anything about makeup you know that some of the best parts of packaging is the name appeal. Some are cute and some tend to be a little x-rated :smileytongue:. My question to you is : Do names like - Orgasm & Deep Throat bother you? 

As a mother I would be a bit uncomfortable if my daughter came home with a product like this. :smileytongue: 

What say you?

DaisieWilde

Re: What's in a Name?

Names don't offend me at all.  I actually don't even think blink twice when I see names that are suggestive or sexual.  I feel our culture has taken to shaming women and sexuality.  Suggestive product names are meant to stir the pot and raise some eyebrows.

I'm not a mom yet, but I feel that if I had a daughter that once she was old enough to wear makeup, she'd be old enough to also handle the nature of the skincare/makeup market.  This will probably change when I actually get to that point, so I'm completely speculating.

I was raised in a very strict household and completely uncomfortable with my own body and sexuality because we weren't allowed to talk about it.  My mom would use euphemisms such as "down there" and "that time of the month" as if being a young woman, experiencing natural woman things, was an embarrassing thing.  It's not.  At 33 I STILL cannot talk to my mom frankly about basic stuff...she cringes at standard anatomy terms and the like.

makeupobesessed

I don't mind the names of products, although some of the Nars are a little risqué.  I hardly ever get asked what color I'm wearing, although I explained to my eleven year old why Naked eyeshadows were called that after she saw the palette in my drawer...( I'm assuming because they are neutral colors, to seem as if ur not wearing much makeup, thus being Naked?... If I'm wrong, someone please tell me otherwise)

I do like funny or cute names though.  It's entertaining.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

You know, that's really true. No one around me is as into makeup as I am. My mom loves beauty and has a ton of stuff, but she doesn't enjoy trying/researching/talking about products like I do. So I *never* get asked what color/shade I'm wearing. I get compliments on my skin/makeup, but no one asks me the exact blush I'm wearing or something. That might be one of the reasons why I don't care--because I'm the only one that knows that a certain makeup item has that certain name so who cares?

starletta8

I was wearing Come to Bed Red on my nails today, partially because it made me snicker.

I look at products first, names second. 

makeupobesessed

This thread reminds me of Target being in the news recently over naming a plus size shirt "Manatee grey" whereas the same shirt in non plus size was another color, less offending.  Target instantly pulled the shirt off the racks, but the damage was done!

Fabz

I saw this! OMG this is hilarious. What woman wants to have manatee anything?!

fran11

I am not offended at all by the naming choices of some of the brands out there. I usually get a chuckle out of something at the NARS display every time I am in Sephora. Product names and packaging all tie into the company's marketing strategy and clearly their strategies work because we are all talking about them! :smileyhappy: i guarantee at least one person who hasn't tried any products from The Balm or Nars read this thread and went and checked them out online :smileyhappy:

In terms of product names affecting how young girls think and feel about sex, i really feel that there are so many other influences out there that are worse than risque names on a makeup packages (i.e. TV, movies, internet, classmates). I do think young girls are highly impressionable but I think they will be affected by their friends and how celebrities dress and act. I really don't feel the names of cosmetics are going to be what causes low self esteem or a skewed idea about sexuality.

If I was a mother of a young teenage girl I think I would be concerned that my daughter spent $30 on a Nars blush, no matter the name --even if it was called something innocent like "snuggly puppies"! :smileywink: 

Fabz

(0) Hearts

I would buy a blush with the name puppy! Que cute.

poemelyric

I was thinking about that last week going through my makeup.  I wear Nars and I have Sex, Deep Throat and Torrid as blushes.  Then there is Orgasm, Super Orgasm, Sin, Easy Lover, Triple X and Pillow Talk.  I wouldn't not buy them because of the color names (they are very good products that I love), I can't say I understand the naming of these cosmetics...  It kinda makes me think but I wouldn't not purchase because of it.

prettyinpa

I don't object to the names, some of them are quite funny in an odd sort of way. I don't get much opportunity to talk about makeup except on here and you all are as much makeup fanatics as I am, so it's fine.

Do many people ask you what color you're wearing? I hardly ever get asked, mostly because I wear pretty subtle makeup, I guess. Last time someone asked me about my lipcolor, I dug it out of my purse and it didn't have a name, just a number.

katie1724

It's complicated! While the names themselves don't bother me at all (I don't get offended by much, and there is nothing, at base, dirty or shameful about the word "orgasm" etc.), the message that it might send does sometimes bother me. Cosmetics are marketed to make women feel beautiful, and when there are overt sexual references, I think it's a fine line in terms of the message it sends to the younger crowd...rather than being seen as empowering, it might leave the impression that sex / being sexy / buying this product is necessary to be beautiful, or attractive to others, and create pressure to be that way. I don't know, it's been a long day and I'm probably not explaining myself well. :smileytongue:

My short answer is no, I don't personally find the names offensive. I have mentioned this many times in previous threads (if you've been around long enough, I apologize for repeating myself), but my grandmother always used to ask me what blush I was wearing (back when I wore nothing but Orgasm). I tried to avoid the question ("NARS...?"), but she persisted because she wanted to buy it for herself. When I told her what it was called, she didn't even blink -- and when I was slightly embarrassed (because she is my grandmother, after all), she was like "...what's so embarrassing about that?" :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

I agree with you that some of the names are a bit much. It seems like some companies are using sex when they really don't need to (because their products are really nice quality- ex. NARS).  

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

I don't buy products just because of the name either. I buy for quality and colors that I really love .

@triciaann12- I have Trout Pout on my toe nails right now!:smileytongue:

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

-

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Some of the colors are hit and miss for me in terms of formulation. I loved Black Knight (Monty Python Holy Grail reference) and almost got it, but the black base of the polish was super sheer! I would have either had to apply 3-5 coats for it to be opaque or top it off on a black polish and I figured if I have to do that I might as well search for a dupe or look for a blue and purple glitter top coat on its own. If I'm going to pay the price for BL's polishes, best believe I don't want to spend hours waiting for multiple coats to dry to give the look intended. I have Primrose Hill Pink, Slapper, Saucy Jack, and All Hail the Queen and those are great as 2 coaters. I'm also a fan of their Horse Power nail conditioner/strengthener.

Fabz

There is a Monty Python reference out there?! Love that. See now that isn't crude or anything plus it's hilarious! 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Yeah, BL had it in a holiday duo set, but then launched the color on its own....I WISH the formula was more opaque!!! It's the only thing stopping me from buying it!

lylysa

I'm not going to lie, I finally caved a bought a Butter London polish called Saucy Jack that I was eye balling for the longest time. Though it's just a simple, rich, deep red color, the name stems from the movie This is Spinal Tap, which I love. It was fun for me to have a movie reference on my nails, kind of like a inside/personal joke with myself to where no one else would know but I would get a kick out of it.

Though the story behind the name isn't x-rated or saucy, I personally don't get bothered by names of products that tie either to drugs, sex, or things that can make an eye brow raise. Though I definitely see the concern or understand how it can be a bit off-putting for some, I know cosmetic companies are just looking for ways to stand out from other lines and really "brand" their products as their own. No one would remember an eye shadow color just called "Vanilla", but throw "Vivacious" in front and suddenly you have a key word to remember that stands out. It can also help in terms of repurchasing products too, a blase or unmemorable name can make it tricky when you need to buy a replacement, but a product called "Half baked" or "Deep Throat", you tend to remember a bit better because it's so shocking and grabs your attention.

bananachoox3

I never brought a product because of the name of it. Unless it happens by accident. I buy the product because I know I will be using it and love it and if it happens to have a funny name to it I end up giggling.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 43 replies
  • 84 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave