ashleynne

What products did you try that went terribly wrong?

[ Edited ]

For me it was the korres quercetin & oak eye cream. It somehow would always end up getting in my eyes burning them and making them water for at least half an hour after each time used. The next couple of hours my eyes would continue to be red before going back to normal. Safe to say I definitely didn't look cute. :smileysad:

clarks18

Re: What products did you try that went terribly wrong?

(0) Hearts

I have mentioned this before in a similar thread but the product that went terribly wrong for me was Diorshow Mascara.  It was beyond clumpy and dry.  I still tried it out anyway.  The first day wearing it I got a clump stuck back behind my eye.  I tried for 45 mins on my own to get it out but it didn't happen.  I ended up at the eye doctor and he had to remove it for me.  I couldn't wear eye makeup for a week and I had to use these eye drops that burned my eyes.  It was the worst experience I have ever had with a highly rated product that I was dying to try.  This was hands down the worst any type of makeup experience I had.  I will never ever try Dior mascaras ever again.

lovelyred139

I'm going to agree with OP ashleynne on this one: Korres Quercetin & Oak Eye Cream.  While it wasn't an unmitigated disaster -- no burning or flaking -- I got some truly impressive milia from it.  As someone who suffers from dark eye circles, I've sampled quite a few eye creams and none have given me the rash-like milia that the Korres cream did.  A close second is the Josie Maran SPF 40 Daily Moisturizer, which was so incredibly disappointing.  It smelled lovely, it was wonderfully hydrating, Emma Stone talks it up in all her interviews and I'm at least as pale as she is...  And yet it broke me out with rather painful cystic acne every time I used it.  Sigh.  I'm still a little upset about that one.

ashleynne

I hate it when you get all pumped up about a product because of the raves it gets to find out it really just doesn't work out for you. I try not to get too high of hopes when going into try a new product because i dont want to get too bummed if it doesn't work out. I honestly wonder if celebrities really do love some of the products they say they do or are they getting paid to put on a front.

I have really pale skin too. During the summertime I used the coverfx total cover cream foundation. it has the perfect super extra pale as a ghost shade I needed and spf 30. I'm usually horrible when it comes to putting on sunscreen separately so I need something that already has it built in. It really is definitely one of the nicest foundations I've used.

lovelyred139

(0) Hearts

Oh, thanks for the product rec, I'll have to look into that one.  My skin type changed recently, so when the seasons changed my old standbys weren't cutting it anymore.  The fact that my foundation shade is so difficult to match just added an extra layer of frustration to things.

KrispiKreme

(0) Hearts

The Josie Maran argan oil moisturizer lotion. It actually caused my face to flake and peel because it dried out my skin so badly. I know that makes no sense but it caused me to throw it away.

kellsmuneoka

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The sephora bronzer made me have a terrible reaction & all the Dior mascara's smeared and just looked terrible. :smileysad:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I was so excited to get the Algenist Pore correcting moisturizer, I had never had a bad reaction to a product, so i'm all for trying new things, but oh my! The next day my skin or flaking, itchy, red, and bumpy! It was just horrible! It was the first time my skin every reacted like that to a product! And now the Origins Perfect World Moisturizer seems to do the same thing! I used it two days in a row, and the next day when i woke up my skin was all itchy and had the same reaction with the algenist! And those are two brands i like and have used other products that are wonderful! 

FireSpinner

(0) Hearts

I must be incredibly lucky... because nothing bothers me. Nothing causes my skin to break out, nothing irritates my skin, eyes, etc.

I'm Superwoman! lmao jk :smileyhappy:

ashleynne

**sudden women everywhere glare** jk :smileywink: but yeah you are definitely lucky! I'm sure you will eventually run into a product you will have some trouble with it. Just enjoy your pleasant streak while it lasts :smileytongue:

lyravega

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Josie Maran Argan Oil! First I have to say - I'm not allergic to argan oil! I've used it before, and I still use argan oil now that me and my skin absolutely LOVE! But for some reason Josie Maran Argan Oil gave me terrible, big, angry, painful cystic acne ( That never happend to me before! Or after! If my skin react negatively to something, it is usually just redness or "regular" pimples. )!!! It was just horrific!!! It took a lot of time for my skin to heal! 

ashleynne

(0) Hearts

a lot of people are saying that they are reacting to this on my thread! I definitely won't be using my small bottle on my skin and focusing it on the hair only. cystic acne is absolutely the worst. i have problems with it regularly and keeping it under control is a huge pain. So I don't want to have a reason t to make it flare up again. 

lyravega

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

But only Josie Maran Argan Oil! No other argan oil has ever caused me any kind of negative reaction! I absolutely LOVE argan oil! My skin loves argan oil! It is just something about this one, and I'd really like to know what is it all about, because I heard from many people, too, that they had bad experience with Josie Maran argan oil. Strange thing... Yes, definitely don't use it on your face if you have a problem with cystic acne, just to be on the safe side.

ashleynne

[ Edited ]

my hair is madly love with argan oil. I use Redken's currently. it's amazing how it's transformed my hair from damaged to healthy. 

yeah no go on my face. thanks for the friendly heads up!  

kelsey808

[ Edited ]

I haven't purchased much that hasn't worked for me since I usually do a lot of research before I buy a product but I recently went on a whim and bought Guerlain Lingerie de Peau BB cream and wanted to love it so much but unfortunately it's not for combo/oily skin types. When I first applied it it looked SO amazing and had a beautiful flawless finish, so I went to class thinking it would be fine but when I came home 6 hours later it had oxidized about 2 shades and I looked ridiculous.. completely shiny all over my face, plus I noticed that it had broken me out after I washed it off. I couldn't wait to return it but it was so sad because I really did want to love it. I still would highly recommend to anyone whose skin is dry and not sensitive!

ashleynne

(0) Hearts

aw your like me! I spend each day a couple hours researching products. haircare, makeup, skincare, etc. I keep up on what's trending, a best seller, award winning, raved about, and brand new. it's an obsession of mine, I have to be in the know. my skin breaks out so easily i have to be careful what I use. glad to know you do the same! Oxidizing is the worst. Lancome's teint idole is famous for that.

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

Bare minerals- I looked like A blotchy oompa loompa.

illamasqua skin base- between my oiliness and the humidity where I live I should have just applied silicone instead of foundation. You could have watched it slide down my neck! 

MAC zoom lash- my eyes started burning

Murad acne clearing kit- the system was so harsh I was a red peeling disaster

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

OCC lip tars. I am not coordinated for a liquidy lipstick. Liquid lipstick, sure. But lip tars slide around like water until they set.

ashleynne

(0) Hearts

yeah i bought one of the first sets they put out on sephora with like the 5 different colors. super drying so you can't apply them alone. you need to put on chapstick or a lip moisturizer, several applications first. they dried so quickly if u made a mistake I was kind of screwed if I messed up. I took them back, they weren't for me.

kittichick

(0) Hearts

Ugh. I want to love those sooooo badly. I love putting them on and they look so great - for a few minutes. But then the feathering starts. Oh god, the feathering. I've never seen anything like it before. At least, not on me.

arielaaaaaaaa

I had similar problems but i was just applying them all wrong. A thin layer, Blot, let dry, and repeat! And i sometimes do the dust powder over tissue trick! And i don't have any problems!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 60 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • dannyc
    • kirstensf
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • waterbaby1981
    • lyravega
    • jojobe