daisies121

What is one beauty imperfection/unique trait that you used to hate about yourself but now you love?

[ Edited ]

I have a faint scar on my right cheek that I got when I was a baby and was climbing on things I shouldn’t have been. It’s not super noticeable unless you look close but I always knew it was there. I used to really be self-conscience about it when I was a teenager but now I love it and think of it as unique characteristic of mine.
I also have big-brown almond-shaped eyes that I used to hate and wished they were smaller but now I LOVE my eyes and am able to pull off so many different looks with eye shadow that I enjoy emphasizing my eyes more than any other feature.

nhunka

Re: What is one beauty imperfection/unique trait that you used to hate about yourself but now you lo

I used to be uncomfortable being Asian. I grew up in an all white city (and country), my family and a couple of others were the only Asians in town, and I was probably the only Asian girl around (my mom is half white, half viet, but she doesnt look Asian at all). I wouldnt really feel like I belonged anywhere - in my hometown I looked too different, and when I went to visit relatives in Vietnam I didnt look Asian enough and I would get stares from people. My beautiful mom, growing up in VN in the 70-s was bullied for not looking Asian and her parents were pressured into divorce (it was a crime back then to marry a foreigner there). She however responded by bullying them back 

I have been bullied only once by a white neo **bleep** for being a "tainted blood"  but most people were good to me. I just didnt feel like I belonged anywhere.

But now I am much more comfortable in my skin, and my husband loves my eyes, says it is very rare to see an asian with hazel-green eyes. So now I like my eyes too

It is still difficult from time to time to accept my looks, considering that where I grew up almost every girl has a very nice body naturally and is at least 5'6" on average.

AlisG

Re: What is one beauty imperfection/unique trait that you used to hate about yourself but now you lo

I totally relate to this. I was born in a city that (when I was a kid) was mostly white and there were only 1 or 2 asian kids (I'm half Chinese and half white). I always felt weird, but it got worse when I moved to a place with mostly Chinese kids because they made fun of me for being half white and I was even told by one of their parents once to "never marry a white guy because his family will make you pay for the wedding" and I was called a "half breed" lots in high school. It is what it is, people are scared of things that they don't understand (which is surprising sometimes in this day and age). But my parents were always super supportive saying that being a mix, we get the best of all the worlds we come from. :smileyhappy:

tbot

(0) Hearts

I have a gummy smile. (too lazy to take a pic, but here's a visual. Mine's a bit more pronounced: http://www.thetotalsmile.com/gummy-smile/ )

I can bring my lower lip up to cover BOTH rows of teeth and expose about 5mm of gums. When I smile naturally my lower lip covers just a bit of my top teeth. When I went to go get braces as a teenager they offered to  break my jaw or something but masochism + self consciousness < desire to chew my own food + horror and so I did not let them do it.

And then I stopped being a teenager and realized that nobody has ever even made fun of me for it in my life, on the contrary, people quite often tell me I have a nice smile. There's nothing wrong with the rest of my facial features, but they don't really stand out in a crowd. My smile is the most unique feature I've got, and combined with other factors (dimples, chipmunk cheeks) just makes me look a little goofy and over-enthusiastic.

algenib

I grew up in a different country where my lighter skin, green eyes and blonde hair are considered different. Because of this, some of the girls at my school picked on me (and actually convinced me to question my mom if I was adopted!). This made me consider my entire self an imperfection and have had huge issues with self-esteem my whole life, which just got a little better now that I'm older but I still find myself disliking how I look from time to time.

AlisG

I have the smallest mouth ever.. I've been told by many, many people. Usually in a "WOW. Your mouth is SO small." It always used to bug me because I thought that all beautiful women had beautiful full lips and I never wanted to wear lipstick with colour that drew attention to it. 
Now I figure if I like the colour, who cares! Embrace all of yourself because it's what makes you you, right? :smileyhappy:

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I used to hate my natural blue-tinged pallor -- I cringe when I think about all of my middle school era attempts at getting a tan (it doesn't work -- I blister badly and I never got a base color, and self tanner looks ridiculous on me). I never liked my dark hair and always wanted to be blond (and I still secretly do, or red!) but now that I'm a little older, I appreciate my dark hair / light blue eye color combination. I also used to hate my freckles, but they disappeared (with vigilant daily sunscreen use) and now I miss them! 

jozkid

(0) Hearts

I can relate to the pale skin thing. My "tan" is a normal skin color on most people. I don't use anything less than 50spf when I'm outside. And self-tanners make me look vaguely jaundiced. :smileyhappy:

tashalicious

i used to hate my hair, but now i'm learning to love it.

MikuNerd65

When I was younger I used to hate my legs being this way

upload_1722883356702163304.jpgthat curve below the knee...used to beat myself about it and considered surgery as an option (only in my mind, never told anyone.) I thought it was unnatural looking.

Now I don't even think about it..I much less care. I don't even stare at compared to when I was a teen.  

BeautyLove02

I don't know if it's a "beauty" imperfection, but it is a big part of who I am. I'm partially deaf and when I was in elementary school, I had to wear hearing aids with wires connecting it to a small box/walkie-talkie thing attached to a bright blue belt around my waist. I would have to give my teachers a bright (it was SO bright :smileyhappy: ) blue necklace to wear with the other walkie-talkie hanging from it. The box would amplify what the teacher was saying for me. I had (still have) a speech "impediment" and can't pronounce certain sounds correctly (chhh, shhh mainly.) Now I don't wear hearing aids at all. I love the semi-quietness lol. I love the silver lining, which is that I can read lips from all the way across the room or right in front of my face. People always ask me where I'm from and seem to be absolutely convinced I'm from England or Australia (go figure) and seem genuinely shocked if I tell them I'm hard-of-hearing (I have little to no trouble communicating.) Sometimes I think they're just being nice to avoid hurting my feelings, but most times I LOVE the thought that I sound like I'm from either of those places!

aggiegirl2012

I have some small scars around my face from reconstruction after a childhood accident. I went through times or apathy and others of anger but now I've come to appreciate them.

Urbie

I grew up in a very white suburban area and always, always got taunted for the way I looked (I'm half asian)....especially my eyes.  But I love them now and think they are one of my best features!

wingatprsct

I use to hate my red hair, fair skin and freckles. Now I embrace them (and pay to keep my hair red). I quit trying to get a tan years ago. It was never going to happen. I get a little color from a bottle now just for a little glow. Looking back, it all seems so silly!

MK89

I used to dislike my lips and eyebrows a lot! Now that I'm older, I appreciate having thick brows because I have more to work with when shaping them. I've also discovered that there's nothing wrong with having pigmented lips, it was all in my head when I thought they looked unattractive! I love my Fresh tinted balms, even though some of my natural lip color comes through.

Nicrohr

What a great thread :smileyhappy:. I will have to think about my own, but I'm enjoying reading others.  I love it!

BrennaBombshell

I used to hate being so incredibly pale. My friends and family would laugh that I looked like someone from a Tim Burton movie. I actually went through a tanning phase in my teens and used fake tanners so that I didn't look so ghostly. But now I couldn't be happier (and I stay AWAY from tans in all forms!) as it's so rare to find, and it gives me such a great canvas for my fun makeup!C360_2013-12-03-09-30-44-707.jpg 

punctuationgeek

You have amazing skin! Also--Dean Winchester's necklace?

BrennaBombshell

Thank you! And yes, I'm a nerd for Supernatural >.<

kellsmuneoka

YAY FELLOW SUPERNATURAL FANS! Lol, you look gorgeous x

punctuationgeek

I'm a nerd for Dean Winchester :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 187 hearts
  • 38 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • daisies121
    • lb1414
    • marydiva
    • tracygirl64