What got you HOOKED on makeup?

elnxio

What got you HOOKED on makeup?

What started your love affair with makeup? Was it years of watching your mom put on her face when you were younger? Or maybe a particular product that started your obsession? Or even a makeup look that you wanted to emulate? 

I didn't really start wearing makeup until college and that was primarily because of my acne. My love affair with makeup began when my once perfect complexion started getting not-so-great. Recently my skin had gotten significantly worse (hormonal cystic acne) and I really credit makeup for giving me the confidence to go out and live as i should! Now I am obsessed with finding the best products and techniques to manage and hide my acne/scars. And thanks to all you wonderful beauties on here and a bunch of helpful makeup tutorials on youtube, I no longer have to hang my head low in shame :smileyhappy: 

So how did you fall in love?

beautylovingirl

Re: What got you HOOKED on makeup?

@elnixo- Awww! That's a really nice thing you said about not having to hang your head in shame, you never have to do that around us,instead of a magic wand we all just whip out our magic ideas and make it all go away. :smileyhappy:

MoreGun89

I think my heart just grew more warm fuzzies ^.^ not sarcastically either lol

beautylovingirl

Well it's not everyday people comment on the help they get from all of us and I think it's really nice for her to say that.

MoreGun89

I most certainly agree! :smileyhappy:

elnxio

Well I meant it! It's an awesome feeling to come to a place where you know you wont be judged and the ppl are really there to offer genuine support! Plus, you guys seriously offer the best advice :smileyvery-happy:

beautylovingirl

@elnxio-That's very very sweet! Thanks again!:smileyhappy:

katie1724

I'm not totally sure -- but my mother, grandmother and aunts used to give me the lipsticks and things they didn't like from Clinique gifts. By the time I was 13, I had amassed a huge collection of lipstick (that I did not wear out of the house!). I also had about 40 Bonne Bell chapsticks in practically every flavor...I really liked those (the hoarding tendencies started young, I guess!). I tried foundation when I was about 13 or 14 -- I didn't need it at that age(!), but I was fascinated by how flawless it made my skin look. I kept everything in this giant caboodles that I kept on my dresser. I *wish* I could still fit everything I own into a caboodles, but now I need a small storage unit. I think less is more, though, sometimes :smileytongue:

dianabt

I LOVED those bonne bell chapsticks! I had a glittery mint chocolate chip ice cream one that was my pride and joy lol. To this day I still love the watermelon, pink lemonade and dr. pepper :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
katie1724

Yes! I had the glittery mint chocolate chip, too -- but I can't remember when that was. My absolute favorite was starfruit, which I had in 6th or 7th grade, but I don't think it was around that long -- maybe for a few years. It was tinted pink and smelled delicious. I also loved Dr. Pepper -- I loved that it was just slightly red. Oh, and strawberry -- that's still a good one :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

@katie- I think everyone on here had Dr. Pepper and yep it was slightly red, gosh look how many memories come flooding back in.:smileyvery-happy: (Man I really gotta stop all these smiley faces I get way to carried away).

melissabt

Oh my goodness, starfruit!! That brings back so many memories. I remember copying my friend:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
MoreGun89

mmmm, Dr. Pepper and Pink  Lemonade ^.^ definitely add bubble gum in there and you're all set!

beautylovingirl

I had those and one that was Dr. Pepper, man I loved those!And after that it was red lipstick and then history just ran it's course all the way till this very day and I never get bored.:smileyvery-happy:

janinebt

The Dr. Pepper one was my favorite too! I loved that it had the perfect amount of color haha. I remember loving that Lipsmacker line. I had a tin filled with them. The lipglosses were amazing too, I remember my favorite being a really faint shimmery strawberry one.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@Janine-It's so funny how we forget about those things and one small conversation brings them back. I know when I was typing about the Dr. Pepper lip gloss last night,I kinda had a little laugh over it!:smileyvery-happy:

MoreGun89

Interesting topic!

Not sure really, I started getting really bad acne in high school, didn't really care about it until I was nearly out though, and even then it didn't really start until midway through college.  I decided to try a more expensive facewash rather than a drugstore one, seeing the drastic night and day difference it had made (not a miracle, but it was a large improvement) I kinda got hooked on following a skincare regimen for the results, and then began enjoying it.  Being a punker when I was younger has always meant a love affair with eyeliner, although I wear it considerably more conservatively now!  My mom also didn't really deal with makeup (she was so averse to putting on eyeliner she had it tattooed on before I was born) she throws on a little eyeshadow and lip gloss, otherwise it's all skincare and lotions with her.  She's in her 60s now and still looks no older than 40, seeing that has also been an inspiration to following a regimen religiously! :smileyhappy:  The moral of the story is take care of yourself, and you'll continue looking awesome!

dianabt

Hello elnxio, 

This is a fun topic, I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's reponses.

To be honest, I'm not sure what it was that got me hooked. My mother  rarely wore makeup growing up so maybe that was part of it, I was intrigued by these products I had yet to see in action? Whatever the point, I first started doing makeup as a Freelance artist for DuWop which was a favorite line of mine since the majority of their items were so natural and simple to use, everything was based on simplicty and tricks to make your face flawless with a minimal amount of items.

From there, I became more intrigued with colors and effects to contour the eyes, shade the nose, brighten and enhance the lips, etc. which I got to learn both through Sephora training and working for Lancome as a boutique artist.

While I don't wear as much color and fun things as I used to, I am still into makeup and focus most of my energy on a great complexion which to me means not just makeup but also the perfect skincare for your skincare needs and wants. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 128 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • juicyglosspaige
    • kenny
    • sephoramusthave
    • shyvicki