thatbluebox

What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

For all the skincare items out on the market, there are many price points that go from a couple of dollars to a few hundred. 

For me, my splurge item would have to be my Lancome alcohol-free toner. It smells so refreshing and feels the same when applied. I save on masks, using Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. 

In theory, the most expensive things work the best but that's not always true. What do you all have to say?

mkupgk

Re: What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

(0) Hearts

I splurge on everything except for mascara and eyeliner

hellokristyxo

(0) Hearts

My splurge: foundation

I save on: eyeliner 

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

I splurge on GlamGlow Super Mud Clearing Treatment! I HAVE TO have this on hand at all times! I never know when I'm going to spot the beginnings of a breakout! One thing I save on is my facial moisturizer-- on the recommendation of someone else, I am now using the Mustela Hydra Bébé Crema Facial Cream most days (it's $10.50 for 1.35 oz!) and my oily, acne-prone skin LOVES it.

cindykim

(0) Hearts

like many other people i would say most skin products, but i did splurge on my clarisonic, foundations, primers, brushes, and maybe some mascaras. what do u think about splurging on brushes?

maltipoo66

(0) Hearts

I tend to save on lip products, and splurge on face makeup.  I recently got a lipstick from Revlon in Really Red, and it's the perfect dupe for Mac Ruby Woo-and the quality is amazing.  Also the Revlon Lip Butters were great, and many drugstore lip glosses seem to look like their high end counter parts.

But when it comes to foundation and  face powder, I think thats where you can really see the difference of texture and staying power between low and high end brands.

redrose04

1. straight perm or sometimes they call it Japanese perm for my wavy hair it cost $300 to get it done but it's worth it if done right. just google it if you don't know.

melde

(0) Hearts

I've recently been splurging a lot on lipstick. I find myself reaching for my high end lipsticks because I think they look better on (I guess better formulas?), and end up lasting longer (often for most of the day, or at least until I eat). Also, I find I don't like the scent of a lot of my drugstore lipsticks, but that is something that differs with each brand, high and low end (so I guess it could go either way).

I tend to save on blush. I think I like some of my extremely cheap drugstore blushes just as much as my high end ones! But in reality, I'm not exactly saving because I just think, "I can buy more because these cost less!" Haha.

sephoralovex

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Anything face related I splurge on. Only because my face is so sensitive and acne - prone. And ever since i did start using higher end makeup for my face, my skin has gotten much better...

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Something else I splurge on: really good washcloths and towels.  I just don't see the point of using a 50 cent washcloth that's rough to wipe off my face- or dry it.

Caveat: that's just me and my sensitive skin.  Super rough exfoliaters kill me.

beautylovingirl

I know that the YSL lipstick tubes draw me in every time there just so girly and pretty.

AlwaysGlamorous

LOVE all of the YSL lip products! The pigment is fabulous and so is the staying power and I feel so special pulling those tubes out of my bag :smileyhappy:

kd006

(0) Hearts

I can't wait to get mine! Lol. I'm sure when I get them I am going to reach for them everyday because they are just so beautiful :smileyvery-happy:

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

Hmm. I probably splurge on a lot.  

Drugstore wise I get my ponds wipes, bkore pore strips, dove body wash and liquid liner like revlon and physicians formula. I also have a lot of lippies which is where I think the drugstores strong point is.   

For the most part i love my high end stuff, from skin care to foundations blushes and bronzers.  I have a few eyeshadow palette and maybe 2 blushes that are drugstore and I don't reach for them often.   

kd006

I feel like I splurge on literally everything.. I do use drugstore products, ex. revlon nearly naked, revlon lip butters, maybelline baby lips, etc. But I always go back to my high end stuff. I honestly feel like I should just purge my makeup collection of my drugstore items because I barely use them. When I go into my collection to get a blush.. am I going to grab wet n wild (even though it has great pigmentation) or am I going to grab nars or tarte? I always go to my high end stuff. I spent so much money on my high end stuff that my drugstore stuff just kinda sits there. For me, packaging is kind of a big deal. Most drugstore stuff looks cheap because it is cheap. But when you buy high end I feel like I just am more luxurious when I'm using it. Idk maybe I'm crazy.. Does anyone else feel that way?

Things I do save on are like eye makeup remover and makeup wipes. (CVS brand) because I use them everyday, I don't want to spend double the price on philosophy makeup wipes.

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

CVS brand makeup wipes are my favorite!! I love that the top is plastic and closes really well so they don't dry out. 

aviscardi

I know what you mean.  I work in graphic design and packaging to me means a lot.  I know a lot of people disagree and say its about the product, but part of gaining my interest is making me want to use it.   I'm attracted to things that look nice. Lol :smileywink: I'm more likely to pick up and item if it catches my eye. 

kd006

(0) Hearts

Exactly! Packaging is the first thing you see. Something needs to be able to draw you in. And if it's cheap plastic that is kind of a turn off. Like drugstore foundation normally don't have a pump and that drives me CRAZY!! It will seriously turn me away from a product because it gets so messy. But at sephora you never really find a foundation without a pump or a squeeze bottle, so it doesn't get messy/gross.

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

Well, I guess I save on my toothbrushes and floss....

But other than that, I am a complete sephora junkie, minus the john freida hair.

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

Anything skin related, I splurge on because I break out so easily.  I tend to save on lipstick and glosses.

Ramieee

(0) Hearts

All other makeup/skincare items I usually try to do brand name but for facial cleansers and body lotions I always look for the cheapest deals or sales at drugstores.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • maltipoo66