thatbluebox

What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

For all the skincare items out on the market, there are many price points that go from a couple of dollars to a few hundred. 

For me, my splurge item would have to be my Lancome alcohol-free toner. It smells so refreshing and feels the same when applied. I save on masks, using Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. 

In theory, the most expensive things work the best but that's not always true. What do you all have to say?

thetRuth

Re: What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

(0) Hearts

It depends on your skin and what it needs, I have some friends who get cheap stuff because its the only thing that works for them without making them break out. 

I use dermologica its pretty expensive but keeps my skin clear and soft. Its what ever works for your skin.

krunce

(0) Hearts

Ya I don't think the most expensive things necessarily work best. If only it were that easy...

I always pair up Sephora reviews with Makeupalley.com reviews to try to wittle down my list of potentials when I'm looking for a new product. Usually, the most expensive product almost never comes out on top.

I think, at this point, all of my products are in price ranges that I'm fairly happy with. If the products are more expensive, they usually last a bit longer. I think my biggest splurge at this point is my Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic perfume :smileyhappy:

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

I have always splurged on skin care items, and tended to save on hair care, and eyeshadows and lip products.  However, the more I started to wear shadows, I learned about pigmentation and staying   

power, so I now spend money for brands like Urban Decayand Stila.  I still will buy cheap lip glosses and try them out, I've had expensive lip glosses that were way worse than some $2 lip glosses I've loved.  

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

Eyeshadow palettes & foundations! 

LovelyLibraLady

(0) Hearts

i save on body wash and splurge on everything else! i just love shopping and expensive things! :smileywink:

beautylovingirl

@triciaann12- I'm so glad I could help you. Anytime. I always purchase off the Keratase site just because they only authorize very few salons or web sites to sell their products,so no I don't think it's crazy because if you pay so much money for something you want to make sure it's the real deal. But I think drugstore.com would be okay to purchase from.The Nectar thermique smells so good and I can't even hardly smell it after I dry my hair so I think you'll love it!

beautylovingirl

@triciaann- Yes it has transformed my hair. No frizz. Nothing but soft shiny hair.  I have not used this little amount of product ever until I started using Keratase. It's like I used everything before I used Keratase and the last thing I used was Pureology and the products frrom them cannot even come close to Keratase.I won't even consider anything else. Do you have long thin fine hair? If so yes the Christalliste is the right choice.The masquintense for fine hair for a treatment is great if your hair is thin.The hairsprays are expensive and I like the Double Force Controle Ultime but it last forever. If you like that much spray you should probaly stick to what your using now. And yes I don't use mousse, volumizer , gels or root boost. All I use is one or the other thermique treatments and that's it. And I think it's great that you want your natural color. I really can't say enough about these products. You just don't know how great they are until you use them.:smileyhappy:

lily821

(0) Hearts
I splurge on skincare items and haircare items,but tend to save on bath products.Love Ole Henriksen products! Also save on mascara,either using Maybelline,travel sizes,a bunch of samples too...:smileytongue:
mkupgk

(0) Hearts

Eyeshadows lol

SeraK

Bath products. I will think nothing of spending $20+ on a body wash and then tend to be a bit more frugal when it comes to skincare for my face! 

I guess you could also say the products I get for my hair count as splurging; I have dreadlocks and tend to spend most of my money there for organic shampoos and hair oils. Totally, totally worth it, though.

mityren

(0) Hearts

I splurge on my hair care. I use Wen cleansing conditioner, hair masque and refresh spray, Josie Moran Argan hair serum and Carols daughter Hair milk. (i have super spiral curly hair that frizzes and its super long, to my waist, and thick so i use double n most people)

I save on face stuff. I use St Ives cleanser and exfoliant and Queen Helenes mint julep mask as well s some "home" masks ie egg yolks.

beautylovingirl

@triciaann- I alternate between the Chroma Thermique and the Nectar thermique before I blow dry and what' so exciting to me is that's all I use besides a small amount of hair spray to finish off.(AAAAAAA like the angels are singing about it right now).:smileyhappy: What did you want to try? No nothing is heavily scented but they are heavenly scented. Honestly they smell sooo good.

beautylovingirl

@triciaann12- I use the Chroma Captive Shampoo and Conditioner. I have color treated hair and it's a shampoo and conditioner that helps to hold color in for 40 days. Now with that being said I used to get color and highlights every 4 weeks now it's every 6 so that's savings in itself. I also use and alternate between Chroma Thermique which is for colored treated hair and the Nectar Thermique which is for dry hair that I use before blow drying and I did have the driest hair ever and no shine at all,it always just looked like if the wind blew it would break off. Now it's so soft and shiny that I have never thought about looking back to anything else and never will. I got really mad at myself because I didn't find it sooner. 100% true story!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@thatbluebox- I splurge on shampoo and conditioner I use the Keratase Line and I couldn't imagine using anything else.

thatbluebox

Does anyone splurge on haircare? I remember glancing on an article awhile back that says you really just need to splurge on shampoo and not conditioner. 

I usually don't really care what shampoo I use (but I will never go back to Fruitess). But I do work to find the best hair mask treatment and I don't think anything will beat Kpak Reconstructor. 

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I splurge on conditioner! I love Sachajuan's Deep Conditioning Treatment (or something to this effect -- I forget the exact name). It's so moisturizing (I use it once a week or so). I should probably splurge more often on shampoo, too, but I tend to use the cheaper stuff.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

My splurge is Skinceuticals CE Ferulic; it's really pricey but I love it, and now that it's part of my routine I don't want to stop using it. I usually just go with what works well for me. I don't think anything I use for skincare is what I would call inexpensive, but some of it is less costly than the rest. I tend to save on things like lipglosses and eyeliner, because I go through them so quickly.

Outside of makeup, I splurge on things like bags (that I wind up using for years and years) and save on shoes (which I tend to be hard on and go through quickly). I have a friend who has a huge collection of Jimmy Choo / Christian Louboutin shoes, but shoes have just never been my thing (she might feel the same way about things I tend to collect, though!).

alare

(0) Hearts

Like a lot of people that have replied, I splurge on any product that is going on my face! So my cleanser, treatment serums, moisturizer, foundation, etc. Things that I'll save on are brow pencils and lip liners; those don't really matter to me lol

alivingstone

(0) Hearts

I like to splurge on all-over-my-face items. Skin care, foundations, tinted moisturizers, and concealers. I'll save on almost anything else because I usually get sick of something and get rid of it to try something new. I'm pretty frugal in every other are of life too. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@DaisieWilde- What scent is that paticular Bond No.9 perfume? I splurge on everything and save on nothing. :smileytongue:

stumbellina

(0) Hearts

Unfortunately, I'm willing to splurge on anything. BUT, that being said, I actually use up everything i buy, and purchase only what i really really want and need.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • maltipoo66