thatbluebox

What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

For all the skincare items out on the market, there are many price points that go from a couple of dollars to a few hundred. 

For me, my splurge item would have to be my Lancome alcohol-free toner. It smells so refreshing and feels the same when applied. I save on masks, using Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. 

In theory, the most expensive things work the best but that's not always true. What do you all have to say?

thatbluebox

Re: What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

(0) Hearts

I'm the same! Like @MoreGun89 has said, how much you pay is the quality you get. 

I would have never thought I'd buy an expensive toner from Lancome, but! I did. And no regrets. :] 

consolvo

(0) Hearts

Oh do tell about the toner! Which one is it and what do you love about it?

thatbluebox

(0) Hearts

Hi Consolvo! I use the Lancome Tonique Doucheur. First of all, it smells really nice and refreshing! I noticed that after using it for quite a while now, my skin has been getting softer and more supple, and smooth! Even without having to refridgerate this, it feels nice and cool on the skin - can't wait to use it in the summer! :] 

I have combination skin that's oily on the T-zone. 

viviene23

[ Edited ]

Generally, I splurge on skincare and makeup products!!
I save on

face wash- I like cetaphil

lip balm- carmex moisture plus and eos

body lotion- lubriderm spf 30

nail polishes

also makeup removers

waterbaby1981

I usually splurge on serums, eye creams and my night cream.  I've tried tons of them and I keep coming back to Clinique's Repairwear line because nothing works better for my skin without irritating it due to fragrance.  100% fragrance free all the way.  The night cream and serum combo is especially good, since I'm 31 and still have no lines on my forehead yet (knock on wood)! 

I do occasionally splurge on lip color if I find one that is AMAZING (other than Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments in all colors), but the other thing I usually get is Caudalie's Cleansing Water.  Amazing at removing all makeup, cleansing and toning in one step.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

@waterbaby1981 good to see you on here! How are you and baby? :smileyhappy:

I have to agree that the fragrance free skincare products have been doing WONDERS on my own skin so yes, they are a great investment! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
kalex

(0) Hearts

Lylysa -

I used to be able to reply but have had problems since they re-did the site.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Ah, than it probably is just tied directly to the browser and not some random glitch!

broadwaybarbie

(0) Hearts

I have just become addicted to the Agenist purifying mask scurb little bit, which I got a sample of last week in store. It is AMAZING! theres no doubt that this little beauty will become my skin care splurge. Other than that, I try and find little diamonds in the rough at places like TJMaxx or Ross for other skin care product. I found my new favorite overall line (Yea To Carotts) at Ross and each product was only like $3-$4!!! :smileyhappy: 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I just bought some a few nights back. $3.99 per bottle and the bottle are big! love TjMaxx!

catherineu2

(0) Hearts

I get the same thing when I hit "reply to".

kalex

I'm using Internet Explorer.  Whenever I click the red "reply to" box I get the message, "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested."

I'll look into Firefox or Google Chrome.  Thanks ladies!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

No prob! Has it always been giving you that error or is it random times?

kalex

Why can I never reply to people's comments?  I see other people doing it!

Thatbluebox - Regarding your question about creamy vs foaming cleansers...

Gel and foaming cleansers tend to be best for oilier skin types as they are more stripping of the skin's natural oils and are typically formulated for that skin problem.  Whereas if you have dry skin you'll want to go with creamy or milky cleansers which typically are formulated for dry skin do not strip away natural oils.

Super gentle cleansers (like Cetaphil) and cleansing oils are typically good for all skin types.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Some browsers are iffy and won't let you reply on comments. I think Internet Explorer has something to do with it. Try Firefox or Google Chrome. 

quenbee

@kalex - I feel your pain! I can only use my iPhone and its terribly annoying. It took me a while to figure out 1st that i had to go to "full site" to be able to post anything and 2nd that if I make a mistake typing that I can just hit "done" and then tap the thread to correct rather than completely delete the message and start all over again! Keep practicing and posting, you'll get the hang of it in no time!  I wish I could figure out how to post pics from the phone!Everyone here is so wonderful, patient and understanding!

good luck and happy posting!

lylysa

What browser are you using? I know plenty of folks were having issues/noticing differences depending on what browser they were on.

At the bottom left, below someone's comment/post, if you hover around the area a "Reply to....." box in red should pop up, once you hit that you can respond directly in line or below that comment back to someone.

MoreGun89

(0) Hearts

I know that a majority of the time I don't see the "See Post" button on replies anymore on Chrome >.>

lylysa

I'm on Firefox and see it just fine. Haven't tried on Explorer yet to see if there are any changes.

I know on Firefox every once in a while the toggle wheel at the top right of the post/across a screen name, won't appear when I hover over. I have to refresh my page and then it pops up so I can edit my posts.

MoreGun89

I get the same error with the toggle wheel as well just after posting :smileytongue:

DaisieWilde

[ Edited ]

I go through phases.  The BEST body scrub I have ever used, and the only bath product I've ever repurchased (I have purchased a new tub every month for the past 6 months, unheard of for me!) is only $13 a tub for a giant 16 oz. size.  It's all natural and organic too, and I love it.  I've completely stopped exploring any other bath product.  Suave conditioner is excellent for shaving and cheap too.  Better than any shave cream or lotion I've ever tried. 

I typically always splurge on perfume (Bond No. 9 being the high end of what I have purchased), though recently I've been discovering the joy of Lavanila (Passion Fruit is absolutely me right now) and considering I have been switching between four bottles of perfume each over $100 over the past two years (my precious Bond No. 9 is now almost $200, something I won't be replacing anytime soon!), the $42 for a 1 oz. is a good saver for me. 

swfupload_4829543066533846948.jpg

I used to splurge on Josie Maran argan oil ($28 an ounce), but now I prefer an unrefined, more pure argan oil for less than $10 an ounce.  The unrefined argan oil I've found actually moisturizes BETTER with less (!) than its more expensive counterpart.  I also used to splurge on mascara, but after having a bad run of some pricey brands, I went back to a drugstore brand and haven't bothered to look for anything else. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • dannyc
    • sephoramusthave
    • maltipoo66